ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1972 Peter Beard
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Any U2 fans?? Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-09-04 11:50 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I have heard from some sources that their 2004 North American tour (to coincide with a new album) is already in the planning stages. Toronto and Montreal are "confirmed" dates (my source) with a possible date in Ottawa as "probable". I saw them in 1987 on the Joshua Tree tour and it rocked. I highly recommend seeing them at least once.
01-10-04 12:06 AM
Sir Stonesalot Hmmmmmmmm.

Concensus around here is that Bono is a twat.

They had me until The Joshua Tree. Then they fell out of favor. I still like Boy and October though.
01-10-04 12:16 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Hmmmmmmmm.

Concensus around here is that Bono is a twat.

They had me until The Joshua Tree. Then they fell out of favor. I still like Boy and October though.

Bono can get a little preachy (now there is an understatement) but I do like there early stuff (Boy through to Achtung Baby then they lost me until All That You Can't Leave Behind). U2 are a pretty tight unit, though, live.
01-10-04 01:14 AM
Prodigal Son Well, I enjoy their earlier music for sure but starting in the early 90s it became too faux-alternative. Zooropa, Pop were weak, Achtung Baby was good but not even close to their heyday and their last one there tried to retread the ground that was covered much better om The Joshua Tree. Not a big fan, but I have a couple of their CDs. I really like: "I Will Follow," "Gloria," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "New Year's Day," "Pride (In the Name of Love)," "With or Without You," "Where the Streets Have No Name," "All I Want is You," "Angel of Harlem" and that BB King thing, "When Love Comes to Town."
01-10-04 05:28 AM
UGot2Rollme I like everything they've ever done except Zooropa and their new single. I've also seen them live at least once on every tour since Unforgettable Fire. Bono isn't preachy on stage and is a great performer. Check out their Live in Boston DVD from their last tour to get a sense of their shows - pretty hot stuff.
01-10-04 12:17 PM
KeithRichards210 I was a huge fan until Rattle & Hum. Then Bono got this big ego, and couldn't keep his yap shut about anything. I still like the music, though I prefer everything from Joshua Tree on back. Particularly "October" and "War".
There are some fantastic outtake tapes from the Achtung Baby sessions worth seeking out though. A lot of the cuts are superior to the finished product.
01-10-04 12:18 PM
T&A a one-trick pony act (all the songs sound the same to me) with a whining, affected singer. Not my cup o' tea...
01-10-04 07:30 PM
Mr T radio has made it impossible for me to enjoy U2. Hearing one song get played out is bad, but hearing a handful of other almost identical songs beaten into the ground made it worse. plus it doesn't help that Bono's let his voice go (though he was always a pussy)
01-10-04 09:29 PM
SHINE A LIGHT oh dear.u2......i dislike them intensly, especially bono/the new mother theresa!! he's a living saint who hangs around with politicians. sure ain't my thing (can ya just see keef doing all this crap?????)
01-10-04 11:47 PM
full moon Fuck off Bono aka. Paul Hewson you frigging douche bag........
01-16-04 12:58 PM
macawber i'm suprised there wasn't more negative reaction from the stones fans to that question.
the stones are my band and always will be but lets be honest,U2 are rocks biggest name and have been for a long time.
they make great records-i wouldn't want to compare jushua tree,unforgettable fire or achtung baby to any of the abortions the stones have put out in the last 15 or 20 years-
live, they have four things-a singer,a guitar player,bass and drums..and they fucking kill.
what they DON'T have-fifteen people onstage they don't need
what they DON'T do-waste their best songwriting on solo records nobody will hear..

01-16-04 01:04 PM
Joey

U2 is touring this spring / early summer as an appetizer for the monstrous WHO 2004 Trek through the states .

CNN has already reported that 2004 will be regarded as :

THE YEAR OF THE WHO !!!!!

What ?!?! Oh , sure .............HERE ya go ! :

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/bios/Townshend.shtml

Jacky Townshend !
01-16-04 01:05 PM
glencar This macawber guy's a real downer. Perhaps he should make the transition...
01-16-04 01:08 PM
Joey " This macawber guy's a real downer. Perhaps he should make the transition... "

Yes , if were to put his ear to the ground , he would hear : " Make the Transition ! "

Word !

01-16-04 01:09 PM
glencar Word up, my cornhuskering pal! Let's hope he's lowering his head now.
01-16-04 01:13 PM
Joey

The guy is very serious .
01-16-04 01:14 PM
glencar But not in a good way. Almost Stormyish but no one's that bad & lives to tell.
01-16-04 01:21 PM
Joey " Almost Stormyish but no one's that bad & lives to tell. "

May the Storm R.I.P.
01-16-04 01:26 PM
glencar Good riddance at any rate.
01-16-04 01:28 PM
steel driving hammer I think Bono was on this plane.

01-16-04 01:29 PM
glencar Bada bing!
01-16-04 01:34 PM
macawber the truth hurts doesn't it??
gee,too bad the stuff from bridges they did with babyface didn't pan out.
look, i'm not trying to be overly negative but the stones can do ALOT better,i know it and you know it.
01-16-04 01:37 PM
egon the only thing that hurts is the absence of JB...

and gazza....

jaxx

soon SSC will leave too
01-16-04 01:58 PM
Gimme Shelter I'll be seeing both U2 and the Who.
01-16-04 02:00 PM
glencar macawber baby, that's your dull opinion. It doesn't hurt. It's more like a dull itch. Perhaps you should visit the ABBA board next door.
01-16-04 02:34 PM
macawber dull?thats your fourth response to it.the next one will be your fifth.
i went to the abba board as you requested,they asked me why the best riff on bridges was from linda ronstadts guitar player and would like you to know that benny and bjorn never had to give co-songwriting credit to k.d. lang.
by the way,people haven't said "word" or "word up" for years,for your own good-stop.

gotta go-i'll leave you with this-

in the early sixties fans thought everything the stones did was great.brian once played "pop goes the weasel" in the middle of a song and nobody noticed.when they came back in 69 they had to play for real-the fans were listening.
saying great,great great leads to" got live if you want it"
fans listening and being critical brought us ya yas.
get it?- adios

01-16-04 02:40 PM
glencar Goo'bye bitch! Stop in again real soon. You add so much. Word!
01-16-04 03:57 PM
UGot2Rollme hey, it would be FANtastic if U2 (or the Who, but less so)toured this year, because we pretty much ALL need it...

the last show I saw was Bowie and the next will be Frampton.... got any(less than obvious) requests for Peetee?
01-22-04 01:21 PM
macawber glencar wrote:

" goo'bye bitch, stop in again real soon
you add so much.word "

i can always tell when i'm being attacked by angry white people,they use out of date street slang to sound tough.
the abba reference sort of ruined your credibility white boy.for your own sake,stay indoors.
01-22-04 02:42 PM
Joey

The Licks Tour featured the BEST STONES YET !!!!!!!!!
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH