ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

International Ampitheatre, Chicago - June 20, 1972 1st Show
Unknown author with special thanks to Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who is on the cover of Tattoo You?.....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 23rd, 2005 07:39 PM
Gazza

>Ok, well Mick was on the cover of Goats Head but Keith was not on the back of it.

uh..he was, Ian. And Charlie, Bill and Mick T in the inside of the gatefold sleeve. Take another look.

> So what's the point? Charlie was on the cover of Love you Live but where was Mick? Again what is the point?

Huh? You're kiddin' me. It's Mick on the front of LYL with a hand in his mouth! All the band are on the inner sleeve. (from left to right, Mick, Charlie, Keith, Bill, Woody)

The point is why put a tattoed image of a non-band member on the front cover of TY and only Keith on the back.

>Secondly, I would be very surprised if solely Micks face would be chosen by anyone in The Stones camp to be on the cover of two Rolling Stones albums within eight years of each-other.

why not? Mick's the 'face' of the band. They're hardly going to fall out over it. Take a look at the cover of "Emotional Rescue". Four band members, not five. Bill is missing. And if you look at the gatefold sleeve of Black and Blue, you'll only see Mick, Keith & Bill on the front cover (Charlie and Ronnie are on the reverse of it)

>And thirdly I read this as a child. I'm not calling anyone a liar here. I just want to get to the bottum of it.

You've now got to the bottom of it, I hope. We all read stuff and assume its accurate because its printed somewhere. Especially when we're young and less doubtful or cynical. You're hardly unique in that respect. All Stones books have mistakes in them, after all. Relax.

January 23rd, 2005 08:23 PM
akissaway For your consideration, Ian. Mick in both pics.

[Edited by akissaway]
January 23rd, 2005 08:34 PM
Gazza Wow...never seen that pic before - thanks for posting it
January 23rd, 2005 08:59 PM
Taptrick

or was it this guy............

jus kidding; the neck line, the ears, the lips, the cheeck bones, the hair line...it's all Mick

'
January 23rd, 2005 09:07 PM
Soldatti This thread made my day...
January 23rd, 2005 09:13 PM
Soldatti
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Charlie was on the cover of Love you Live but where was Mick? Again what is the point?

Ian, I think that you are talking about Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! here:

Mick's on Love You Live:

[Edited by Soldatti]
January 23rd, 2005 09:57 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

or was it this guy............

such a keen eye you have, yes the facial features are spot on and quite similar, which opens up the notion that it may very well indeed be that guy pictured there, accepting this possiblity that it indeed could be him and with such a preponderance of tangible evidence at hand ie. similar cheek bones, eyes, lips, hair ect.. then that opens the door to a whole slew of other probable possibilities, such as that it could also very well be this guy...

or it could just as well very possibly be this guy...

(notice the pose, mere coincidence? Possibly, or possibly NOT!)

but....after years of highly advanced forensic studies I've conducted alongside my esteemed colleague, the highly regarded HBO forensics expert Dr. Michael Baden, and our new space-aged thermal fusion, cellular-molecular-bonacular facial reconstuctive mapping techniques that we've employed in secret experiments at our hidden labortory underneath a dormant volcano on a deserted island in the north pacific, its come to our expert conclusion that the mysterious face on the front cover of the TY album belongs to non other than this guy...

January 23rd, 2005 10:15 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

>Ok, well Mick was on the cover of Goats Head but Keith was not on the back of it.

uh..he was, Ian. And Charlie, Bill and Mick T in the inside of the gatefold sleeve. Take another look.

> So what's the point? Charlie was on the cover of Love you Live but where was Mick? Again what is the point?

Huh? You're kiddin' me. It's Mick on the front of LYL with a hand in his mouth! All the band are on the inner sleeve. (from left to right, Mick, Charlie, Keith, Bill, Woody)

Sorry I meant Ya Ya's.

Ian

The point is why put a tattoed image of a non-band member on the front cover of TY and only Keith on the back.

>Secondly, I would be very surprised if solely Micks face would be chosen by anyone in The Stones camp to be on the cover of two Rolling Stones albums within eight years of each-other.

why not? Mick's the 'face' of the band. They're hardly going to fall out over it. Take a look at the cover of "Emotional Rescue". Four band members, not five. Bill is missing. And if you look at the gatefold sleeve of Black and Blue, you'll only see Mick, Keith & Bill on the front cover (Charlie and Ronnie are on the reverse of it)

>And thirdly I read this as a child. I'm not calling anyone a liar here. I just want to get to the bottum of it.

You've now got to the bottom of it, I hope. We all read stuff and assume its accurate because its printed somewhere. Especially when we're young and less doubtful or cynical. You're hardly unique in that respect. All Stones books have mistakes in them, after all. Relax.

January 23rd, 2005 11:47 PM
Zack Man, this thread is better than a cup of coffee in the morning. Ian, I want your opinion:

Who is better, Taylor or Wood? Who was "Angie" about? Anita or Angela Bowie? Who killed Brian Jones?
January 24th, 2005 12:04 AM
Bloozehound Don't let'em bullshit ya Billen, take no guff from the swine!

Me and you both know that it's indeed David Bowie's 4th grader ex-girlfriend this guy...

January 24th, 2005 12:08 AM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

*Ok, well Mick was on the cover of Goats Head but Keith was not on the back of it. So what's the point? Charlie was on the cover of Love you Live but where was Mick? Again what is the point?

Ian

if keith is on the back then most likely another stones member is going to be on the front cover and mick looks almost exactly like that guy so it must be him
January 24th, 2005 12:14 AM
mac_daddy

classic, bloozehound! did you ever see beetlejuice dressed as a lepruchaun on st paddy's day. one of the funnies things i have ever seen - i fell out of my chair when i saw that flippin' past E! one night on cable...

January 24th, 2005 12:32 AM
stonedinaustralia incredible (in the true sense of the word)thread

some nice one-liners from beer,snappy and gazza - thanks guys

but i think mystery solved - it's definitely david johannsen - i mean it only makes sense (doesn't it??)
January 24th, 2005 02:07 AM
IanBillen Yes I am sorry I meant Charlie is on YA YA's earlier.

And that pic posted by "AKissAway" showed truly a considerable resembelence between Mick and the album cover. When was that picture taken?

But, (and I know I am going to hear it for this) it doesn't even seem that the Tattoo You's front cover is a man. I always thought it was a women.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
January 24th, 2005 02:15 AM
Taptrick
Hey Stonedinaustralia - are you familiar with David Surkamp?

January 24th, 2005 02:45 AM
luridchief This thread has me stymied! LOL
January 24th, 2005 07:43 AM
Zeeta Super stuff!

Excellent posting by all, including Ian!
January 24th, 2005 08:30 AM
nankerphelge Wow!

Ian you really REALLY frighten me!
January 24th, 2005 05:21 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

Hey Stonedinaustralia - are you familiar with David Surkamp?

no - who is he??
January 24th, 2005 05:47 PM
luridchief Speaking of cover misconceptions--is it true that's a GUY on the cover of NO SECURITY? The one with the long black hair?
January 24th, 2005 06:21 PM
Gazza heard that rumour before, but apparently not.

I do remember seeing at the time of the promotional material for that album a series of about 20 different fan shots with various couples - they chose that one for some reason. It's an appalling cover. I know that the guy on the front is a dentist - I just presume thats his girlfriend or wife
January 24th, 2005 06:22 PM
glencar Yes, that one's true.
January 24th, 2005 06:27 PM
iluvmickjagger07 ian- are you convinced now that the guy is mick? he does kindda look like a woman in that pic
January 24th, 2005 06:32 PM
Poplar
quote:
beer wrote:

Wink Martindale???

---

OH SHIT! TIC TAC DOUGH!
January 24th, 2005 08:54 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
heard that rumour before, but apparently not.

I do remember seeing at the time of the promotional material for that album a series of about 20 different fan shots with various couples - they chose that one for some reason. It's an appalling cover. I know that the guy on the front is a dentist - I just presume thats his girlfriend or wife

Here is:

January 25th, 2005 09:57 AM
gotdablouse Who the f#*$ is Mick Jagger anyway ?!

Dude, do you mind if I ask you how old you are as I've probably missed your life story in another thread. Since I believe in putting your money where your mouth is, I'll tell you that I'm 35 already.
January 25th, 2005 11:46 AM
glencar IanBillen, answer the questions!
January 25th, 2005 12:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well have you guys come to any definite conclusions about who is on the front cover of Tattoo You????
Plus I'd like to meet these people who lost the bets to Ian. They can sit in at my poker table anytime.
January 25th, 2005 12:07 PM
glencar I have a feeling Ian has many visions...
January 25th, 2005 02:12 PM
gotdablouse ...of paradise ?

He sure is a quaint character !
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood