ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Luis Carreño – El Universal February 6, 1998
¡ Gracias Roger Riffin ¡
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Set list Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-23-03 11:29 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

But this is not my point: the beginning of the tour started with some great songs, e.g. Hand of fate. This songs hasn't been played since 1977, and is just great to hear. Now a track like Monkey Man is played -but haven't we heard this track already 100 times in 94/95?

Only if you own every bootleg and have collected every tape from the tour. In which case your jadedness is your own fault and you have no right to bitch.

As far as the setlist posted above: I am there, going nuts, yelling for Had It with You during the Dirty Work set, and loving every song. HEAVENLY! But Sleep Tonight and Losing My Touch should be switched to maintain the internal coherence of the Dirty Work set.

I would hope that they would follow We Love You with a special encore version of Can You Hear the Music with surpise guest Mick Taylor on the mellotron and pan flute.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
01-23-03 01:02 PM
Maxlugar "18. Sleep Tonight (a very long version where Keef actually falls asleep in the
middle of the song, gets waken when the rest move to the small stage) "

Oh that is good stuff right there!!

LOL!!!

MACKY!
01-23-03 01:13 PM
Joey " 14. Back To Zero (Matt Clifford guesting in this Dirty Work theme night)
15. Fight
16. Winning Ugly "

You make Joey wretch .
01-23-03 06:07 PM
Mr T Anyone so desperate to see Something Happened to Me Yesterday, Sing This All Together & In Another Land might as well form their own band & play those songs to their hearts' content - I hope I never see any of them in a setlist, and the same goes for almost all of Emotional Rescue. I'm much more excited to see the Stones bringing back good songs like Can't You Hear Me Knocking

I'd have to say I wouldn't mind them taking on Just Wanna See His Face - but only after they do Ventilator Blues (or before?)
01-23-03 08:28 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
tumblingdice wrote:
Angiegirl my post was not directed at you although it appears I did get the 6 show thing from you I see after I reread the thread. I could have sworn I was bitching at Mathijs. But really with the shows you listed I am sure you will get plenty or rare songs. Even the Stadiums have one or two. In fact with you having... It is great that the band we love has enough good songs that we can actually argue about this. What do fans of..oh say REO Speedwagon argue over?!!!

Didn't mean to bitch at you like that TumblingDice, sorry. It's just that, you know, I'm a bit allergic to posts with a bit of a degenerating feel to it, when you interpret these posts personally, like I just did. O well, whatever.
No, I am very thankful they still tour, though lots of people disagree, especially with these tickets and merchandise prices. Anyway, we get used to the prices along the way of the tour, don't we? We change our standards very rapidly when a novelty isn't that new anymore. Has to do with the change to the Euro too, over here. The Euro is worth about the same as the Dollar nowadays. So one of the most expensive tickets over here is the one for the arena Ahoy, which is 120 Euros. When we would still have had our old currency, the Guilder, it would have been 264 Guilders. That sounds way more expensive than 120 Euros. I often wonder if there would have been sold less tix over here in Holland if the prices were still in Guilders. It's a totally useless thought to keep myself busy with, I know, but I have too much spare time I think, lol.

Anyway, the fact that they're playing really good, regardless which songs, is worth the most I guess. You can have a dream-setlist, but when the guys play it crappy, it's still an awfully bad concert, isn't it? And yes, I know I have enough variety in the types of venues I am attending, that was my goal, and I am sure I will get to experience some jewels and surprisingly good performances. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't have bought these tix, lol.

And BTW: REO Speedwagon fans probably argue over the weather or something. Which is probably as useless as argueing over setlists, as the Stones will choose songs themselves as they please...
01-23-03 08:49 PM
tumblingdice Thanks for the laugh Angiegirl!!! REO speedwagon fans in my area could talk about how damn cold it is here. Usually warm in my area with the coldest maybe into the 30's or 20's F. Tonight it is in the Teens around 15 degrees. I know that is not so much to our northern friends but quite an affair where I live!! Wish the Stones were here live now to heat things up. It was cold in Orlando 97, but the Stones heated that stadium up then on 12-7-97.
01-24-03 12:31 AM
padre [quote]Mr T wrote:
Anyone so desperate to see Something Happened to Me Yesterday, Sing This All Together & In Another Land might as well form their own band & play those songs to their hearts' content - I hope I never see any of them in a setlist, and the same goes for almost all of Emotional Rescue.

A little bit of irony there, my friend... I collected a warhorseless setlist of songs that are all really ones that I never wish to see live just to cheer you up.
01-24-03 02:44 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! Forget it, it ain't gonna happen. First of all, for the TRUE Stones fan, all the warhorses are great tunes and we love hearing them as much as possible. The Stones will never do a show with out playing them. Why, because that is what The Stones are all about, without all of the warhorses they wouldn't be where they are today. Stonesalot you are right on with what you have been saying. I'm as hardcore as it gets, but I still want to hear JJF, SMU, HTW and others. When I go to a show I'm realistic in what to expect about the songs that will be played. Why some people bitch about not hearing more nuggets is beyond me. The shows that I've seen this tour have been wonderful and I never tire of hearing the warhorses, hell they are some of the greatest rock songs ever! In Nashville it was very obvious that many fans around me where not familiar with Sweet Virginia and Loving Cup because they sat down and were not into it. Keep in mind that is not what they came for although us hardcores did, but they paid their money just like I did and they SHOULD leave the show ever bit as satisfied as me. If I had the power to pick their set list for a show, sure I would lighten the biggies up and throw in more nuggets, but that’s just wishful thinking, we’re talking reality here baby. If people are tired of hearing warhorses they need to keep their ass at home and not bother whining about something that they have no control over. Be grateful that you have the opportunity to witness theses guys play Satisfaction one more time, because one day this ride will be over and you will thank your lucky stars that you got what they gave ya.
01-24-03 03:56 AM
Mathijs One of the main reason I want the Stones to play the lesser known songs more, is because I think they are very GOOD at it –much unlike how they do the war horses. I just really think that tracks like JJF, BS, Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Women, SFM and especially Sympathy are just played plain badly –no energy, no drive, Chuck Leavell is leading the way and Charlie sounds like a drum machine: I think these songs are just way past their time (and Ronnie’s resurrection certainly isn’t true for these songs!). When they play these songs, they indeed sound like a bunch of old geezers, then I can understand why the media makes a laughing stock of them. Compare Sympathy as it is played now with how fierce it used to be in ’69 or 75, and even in 189 or 1990. It seems that the Stones themselves are also bored to death playing these songs. But when they play lesser known songs like Dance or She Smiled Sweetly in Roseland, or tracks like Hand of Fate, Worried About you or even the new Don’t Stop, you just simply hear the Stones having a good time on stage, you just hear they are enjoying themselves because they are doing something new, something exciting. Jagger just simply seems to be really enjoying himself when playing Worried About You. When I hear them playing Dance or Loving Cup or Neighbours you just simply hear the energy and drive flowing back: now they’re sure old, but they do ROCK!

Mathijs
Ps: if you’re only capable of thinking “he’s criticising the Stones, so death to him”, then just don’t reply to this posting.
01-24-03 04:10 AM
beer "When I hear them playing Dance or Loving Cup or Neighbours you just simply hear the energy and drive flowing back: now they’re sure old, but they do ROCK!" - Mathijs

Absolutely! "Neighbors" brings back the RIFF! That spark of guitar that lights the fuse...

[Edited by beer]
01-24-03 04:38 AM
F505 Mathijs is quite right in this issue. Fact is that the Stones are victims of their own succes. If they don't play the warhorses the audience will go crazy. Sad but true. Hope they will play a lot of "unknown" songs in Vredenburg and Ahoy.
01-24-03 09:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot I certainly don't wish death on you Mathy. You are a fun joust! I imagine that if we were ever to meet face to face, we'd shake hands and start drinking heavily. I bear no animosity towards you at all.

HOWEVER!

That doesn't mean that I agree with you.

Let's take a look at the pros & cons of this issue.

Reasons To Enjoy The Setlists As They Are

1. Stones must play the warhorses to keep the majority of the audience happy.

2. The warhorses are some of the Stones best material.

3. Playing lesser known songs frequently makes them less special. In other words, if the Stones play rarities, they aren't rare anymore.

4. The Stones try to put as much variety into the setlists as they can. IE. 67 different songs played so far on this tour.

Reasons Change The Setlists

1. The Stones sound bored while playing warhorses.

2. People who have been to lots of Stones shows are bored with hearing warhorses.

In the end, it matters not where we fall in this debate. The Stones will play what they play. I'm just glad that they are playing ANYTHING at this point.
01-24-03 09:31 AM
RubyFriday They played ever "warhorses" ...in 1973 they couldn´t play You Got Me Rocking or Out Of Control...But they have so many,they could change the warhorses from show to show...What about Paint It Black,Ruby Friday,Let´s spend...not 1 time played this tour....
01-24-03 09:46 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah RF, but those songs have all been played as a part of the main setlist on previous tours....so they are STILL warhorses, and people will still bitch about it. I mean, people are bitching about Monkey Man, and that hasn't been played since '94-'95.

I miss Out Of Control. I thought that was a great live song.
01-24-03 09:49 AM
RubyFriday Yes,thats what I mean - SS - Why not replace IORR and Brown Sugar through Out Of Control and Paint It Black from time to time,especially when they play 2 nights in the same city.
01-24-03 10:20 AM
F505 Like mathijs I avoid all the stadium shows. Because of the war horses, because of the public who just wanna hear the war horses (and get bored when they play an "unknown" song) and because of the fact that the Stones are not as sharp (anymore) in a stadium compared to a club.
01-24-03 09:14 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
F505 wrote:
...because of the fact that the Stones are not as sharp (anymore) in a stadium compared to a club.

Not necessarily, Jeroen. Although I really enjoyed the Shepherds Bush club show in 99, it was one of their worst club shows ever, they were totally unsharp . Despite the fact that they played songs like 'Brand new car' ,'Moon is up' and 'Melody'. If I compare it to for example the Stuttgart show in Germany 99, it won't get near that stadium/field show music quality wise in my opinion. If you compare the Shepherds Bush show to the Brixton show in 95, the Brixton show was an example of what we think club shows should be like, it was fantastic. The Bush show brings back many special memories, and we had a lot of laughs because of errors made by the band (Mick getting in trouble with lyrics in Melody, Charlie breaking his drum skin, Mick announcing the wrong song and Keef had to correct him, Mick's remarks about reading in the paper Marianne Faithfull would sing with him, Mick's jokes during introductions about their and especially Charlie's families etc), it's not an example of a great focused and inspired club show. There was not too much interaction etc. Clubs will always be special, even if they fuck up, coz the atmosphere of being so close to them and seeing them that good is worth it anyway. But a club show just won't always be the best show when we talk about the quality of the music being made, that's all.
01-25-03 04:40 AM
F505 Well Angie I don't agree with you on this one. Although I haven't been to the Shepherds bush gig I do have the boot (cow skins and pig shoes) and I must tell you it is one of my favorites! Great performance: raw, energetic and loud. Maybe they made mistakes but some of the songs they'd never played live! Same story about Paradiso which I really enjoyed despite the fact they also made mistakes. If you argue that making mistakes=not sharp you're right. With sharp I mean that they're playing with devotion and noticeable enjoy what they play. Maybe I've choosen the wrong word...Passion is a better one
01-25-03 02:22 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
F505 wrote:
If you argue that making mistakes=not sharp you're right. With sharp I mean that they're playing with devotion and noticeable enjoy what they play. Maybe I've choosen the wrong word...Passion is a better one

Well, in that case I'm with you. Passion is the x-factor that provides the chemistry during the performance. It's what makes a good or even great performance a extraordinary show. Definitely right. And don't get me wrong, I loved the Shepherds Bush show, and I enjoyed the mistakes very much. They were just not as together as they can be and I thought it was audible in the performance. I do have that boot too and I love it too! It's just when you start comparing, you try to find a measurable standard. I guess mine wasn't that successful
[Edited by Angiegirl]
01-25-03 03:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey we all know that they rehearsed 150 or so songs for this tour. But I've seen interviews with both Mick & Keith where they both state that not all of the songs worked very well. It is entirely possible that we are getting the songs that they think they can carry off the best.

AND!

Here's the good news for you Euro fans....they could very well be holding some stuff back for you guys. The US got Parachute Woman, Far Away Eyes, She Smiled Sweetly...you guys could get Have You Seen Your Mother, and some of the other stuff that hasn't been played yet. It's a long tour, no use in shooting your entire wad in the first few months, you know what I mean?

I think some of you would be better served by taking a wait and see attitude, instead of condeming the band straight away. Folks who bitch about setlists of shows that they were not even at baffle me. It's not like you paid to hear those songs. So what exactly is the point of your gripe? I could understand if you paid a shitload of money to go see a show, and you didn't get to hear anything that you wanted to hear. THEN you have a right to bitch up a storm.

It is so simple. The Stones are not concerned if a couple hundred fans walk away disappointed because they didn't get any "nuggets". They are more concerned with the other 20,000+ who walk away happy because they heard a bunch of "warhorses" that are some of the greatest songs ever written.

It's all about numbers. And the number of "hardcore" fans is not big enough...not by a long shot.

In 10 years, this debate will be moot. My advice is to go scream your lungs out, and dance your ass off while the boys are still taking the stage. Too soon, there won't BE any more setlists.
01-25-03 05:00 PM
Angiegirl I know they usually put a few new ones out for next legs, that's what I'm exicited about, really. It's not the first tour I'll go to. It's great, overall since the start of the tour they have been playing more songs (total number) than any other tour. I'm thrilled about that. I'm equally thrilled about the great way they play the songs like I've read in so many reviews on this board!

BTW SS: why do people see posts in a setlist topic always as bitching etc like you said?? I for one never said I hate it what they're doing, in case you meant me among others. If you think we were bitching, you just didn't read everything written here. Discussing possible situations doesn't mean we think we'll get that situation for sure. It's just maybe and what if together with appreciation of what they're doing now. Nothing wrong with speculations and hypothesis, most things are concerning the Stones. That's what's great about it. Anyway, i like to think so.
01-25-03 05:14 PM
sasca Sing This All Together; The Singer Not The Song; In Another Land; SHTMY; and, above all, the magnificent We Love You are some of my favourite Stones songs.
The Stones don't owe us anything but we have every right to tell them what we think they are doing wrong.
01-25-03 10:17 PM
MP bloody awesome, Padre---------but only in your dreams....
01-25-03 10:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot I wasn't really talking about you per se AG.

I was talking about the people who were actually bitching. Mathy mostly.

sascy...you can bitch all you want. If you don't have good reason, you just look like an idiot. So if you really think that you know what's better for the Rolling Stones than the Rolling Stones themselves, bitch away.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST