ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Madison Square Garden, NYC - January 18, 2006
© Jaxx
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tom Waits - Is he cool? Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 17th, 2006 12:06 PM
Jair Yes, he is, I think he's a great and crazy guy but about music...

My fave is the trilogy Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs and
Frank's Wild Years.

Anything besides that is un-listen-able, dont you think?

I've tried listen other records even drunk and never didnt work. Sorry tell you that, Tom. You good anyway.

Maybe you too smart, me too dumb.
You analogic, me digital.
You ape, me virus.

Clap clap clap.

[Edited by Jair]
January 17th, 2006 12:38 PM
Saint Sway Tom Waits is an amazing song writer.

if you have trouble getting past his gruff vocal delivery, I would recommend checking out his "Closing Time" album. Excellent! His first. And its more of a folky singer/songwriter record. His voice was a lot smoother then too.

also give "The Asylum Years" a spin.
January 17th, 2006 01:05 PM
jb No..........while a "friend" of Keith's, he is overrated and very hard to listen to. Another Dylaneque "genuis" who no one really likes, but it sounds so cool to say you dig him.
[Edited by jb]
January 17th, 2006 01:11 PM
Jair Actually I have about 15/20 Tom Waits CDs, including Closing Time, but I only listen those three.

Oh yes, I just remember, also "Heartattack and Vine", full of sad and great ballads...

Agreed JB, people here also says he is "cool".

[Edited by Jair]
January 17th, 2006 01:12 PM
The Wick I love some of his songs, but others are overrated. Lyrically, he can be magical. Sometimes his reputation carries stuff that is average. As for cool, not really. He's a little bit fake to me, and I know some people think he is an original, but he just looks like a bad actor trying to be Keith. Some lame titles as well like Heart Attack and Vine- how affected. Still, some beautiful songs there like Hang Down Your Head.
January 17th, 2006 01:14 PM
kath did you see him in francis ford coppola's "dracula"??

dude is waaayyyy cool!!
January 17th, 2006 01:16 PM
FPM C10 Mr Lawyer, I respectfully submit that you are full of shite.

Tom Waits is one of my all-time favorites. I'm proud to say I've seen him perform live twice. And I know a LOT of people who listen to him.

I'll go along with your comparison of him to Dylan, but I gather you meant that as a backhand.

My favorites are also the trilogy, but find all of his stuff listenable. Except, oddly enough, the early stuff before his voice became the magnificently ruined instrument it is today - that stuff doesn't interest me much.
January 17th, 2006 01:17 PM
Jair
quote:
kath wrote:
did you see him in francis ford coppola's "dracula"??

dude is waaayyyy cool!!

Yessssss Kath, he is great there, isn't?
They should try the career actor.

January 17th, 2006 01:18 PM
jb
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Mr Lawyer, I respectfully submit that you are full of shite.

Tom Waits is one of my all-time favorites. I'm proud to say I've seen him perform live twice. And I know a LOT of people who listen to him.

I'll go along with your comparison of him to Dylan, but I gather you meant that as a backhand.

My favorites are also the trilogy, but find all of his stuff listenable. Except, oddly enough, the early stuff before his voice became the magnificently ruined instrument it is today - that stuff doesn't interest me much.

It's not "full of shit"..the proper reply is "fuck-off"!!! You shall be greeted!!!
January 17th, 2006 01:50 PM
Ihavelotsajam Apart from his first 2 albums, I can't listen to him either. Some of the stuff on Rain Dogs, I'd say it's debatable to even call it music. But whatever.
January 17th, 2006 01:54 PM
stewed & Keefed His best album is Bone Machine....Its fucking great
January 17th, 2006 02:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot Tom Waits is one of the very very few humans who comes close to Dylan and Keith in the "cool" catagory.

I have to admit it...I didn't get it right away. When I first heard Tom I was a hardcore punk rocker. I heard Rain Dogs and was all...Whaaaaaaa? This isn't even music!, I cried.

Oooooopppps.

My bad.

After several repeated listens whilst all fucked up on cough medicine or something, something in my brain flicked on. A bright, shining, white hot whirlwind heat ray zapped me right between the fuckin' eyes. I understood...I became in-the-know...I was clued in...a wisened hep cat...I was learned.

For the next several months I crawled inside Tom's womb and immersed myself in his blood. When I emerged, I was different, older yet younger at the same time. I was stronger, faster, smarter. My eyesight was 20/20. I was bloody and immaculate. I was able to heal the sick with but a sideways glance. People thought I was crazy. My parents tried to put me in an asylum. I woulda gone too. those cats woulda understood.

The onliest peoples who knew what had happened to me was the movie group that I belonged to(still do in fact). See, they knew the straight skinny. They aided and abetted.

Hang on St. Christopher.

In other words...yes, Tom Waits is cool.

Mule Variations and Real Gone are magical.
January 17th, 2006 03:21 PM
Jair
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Tom Waits is one of the very very few humans who comes close to Dylan and Keith in the "cool" catagory.

I have to admit it...I didn't get it right away. When I first heard Tom I was a hardcore punk rocker. I heard Rain Dogs and was all...Whaaaaaaa? This isn't even music!, I cried.

Oooooopppps.

My bad.

After several repeated listens whilst all fucked up on cough medicine or something, something in my brain flicked on. A bright, shining, white hot whirlwind heat ray zapped me right between the fuckin' eyes. I understood...I became in-the-know...I was clued in...a wisened hep cat...I was learned.

For the next several months I crawled inside Tom's womb and immersed myself in his blood. When I emerged, I was different, older yet younger at the same time. I was stronger, faster, smarter. My eyesight was 20/20. I was bloody and immaculate. I was able to heal the sick with but a sideways glance. People thought I was crazy. My parents tried to put me in an asylum. I woulda gone too. those cats woulda understood.

The onliest peoples who knew what had happened to me was the movie group that I belonged to(still do in fact). See, they knew the straight skinny. They aided and abetted.

Hang on St. Christopher.

Wow, after all you said, you should ask Tom a job as
his PR or spokesman.
When/If I need a cool bio can I call you?

January 17th, 2006 03:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot You can't afford my prices.
January 17th, 2006 03:41 PM
Gazza what SSA said

Tom is fabulous. I can understand how some dont 'get' him because he's pretty much an original, which most music fans cant deal with because theyve little frame of reference to compare it to.

saw him in Dublin in '87 (the Franks Wild Years' tour, part of the show ended up on the 'Big Time' concert film/live album)

One of the greatest shows I've ever seen - as well as one of the funniest

Unfortunately his live shows since are few and far between

Cant understand how someone doesnt like Rain Dogs, though. ("Not music" ? WTF)Its fantastic, and the album that first got me into him. I'd only bought it because Keith was on it.
January 17th, 2006 04:04 PM
FPM C10 True - frames of reference might be Kurt Weil and Charlie Patton and Captain Beefheart, all tied up in the same sleeping bag.

Besides being a magnificent recording artist and performer he is also a very accomplished actor ("Down By Law" is my favorite, followed by his turn as Rudy Newton in "Ironweed") as well as one of the funniest talk-show guests since the days when Carson used to make Don Rickles and Little Richard sit next to each other on the Tonight Show couch.

And besides all that, I met Keith Richards in the bathroom at a Tom Waits show! Hey, did I ever tell ya that story?

Wh-wh-wh-whaaaaaaat? I DID?

I'm afraid anyone who has to ask if Tom is cool is incurably uncool themselves.
January 17th, 2006 04:31 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Oooooopppps.

My bad.

Hang on St. Christopher.

Ha ha! I think you had that mystic crystal revelation in my basement, dincha? And I was/am in that "film group".

Your uncle turned me on to Tom. I was in a Jack Kerouac phase and he played me this:

jack was sittin poker faced with bullets backed with bitches
neal hunched at the wheel puttin everyone in stiches
braggin bout this nurse he screwed while drivin through nebraska
and when she came she honked the horn and neal just barely missed a truck
and then he asked her if she'd like to come like that to californy
see a red head in a uniform will always get you horny
with her hairnet and those white shoes and a name tag and a hat
she drove like andy granatelli and knew how to fix a flat
and jack was almost at the bottom of his md 2020
neal was yellin out the window tryin to buy some bennies from a lincoln full of mexicans whose left rear tire blowed and the sonsobitches prit near almost ran off the road

well the nurse had spilled the manoshevitz all up and down her dress
then she lit the map on fire neal just had to guess
should we try and find a bootleg route or a fillin station open
the nurse was dumpin out her purse lookin for an envelope and
jack was out of cigarettes we crossed the yellow line
the gas pumps looked like tombstones from here
it felt lonelier than a parking lot when the last car pulls away
and the moonlight dressed the double breasted foothills
in the mirror weaving out a negligee and a black brassiere
the mercury was runnin hot and we was almost out of gas
just then florence nightingale dropped her drawers and
stuck her fat ass half way out of the window with a
wilson pickett tune
and shouted get a load of this and gave the finger to the moon

countin one eyed jacks and whistling dixie in the car
neal was doin least a hundred when we saw a fallin star
florence wished that neal would hold her stead of chewin' on his cigar
jack was noddin out and dreamin he was in a bar
with charlie parker on the bandstand not a worry in the world
and a glass of beer in one hand and his arm around a girl
and neal was singin to the nurse
underneath a harlem moon
and somehow you could just tell we'd be in california soon

open up that golden gate - California here I come...look out, California here I come.

I was hooked.
January 17th, 2006 04:37 PM
Gazza ah,..ya bastard

looks like I'll be for next couple of hours now makin' a Tom Waits compilation CDR for the plane journey...
January 17th, 2006 04:52 PM
patioaintdry Only a genius like Tom Waits can offer the following advice:

"Never Trust a Man in a Blue Trench Coat"

"Never Drive a Car when You're Dead"
January 17th, 2006 05:30 PM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck I (Zanck*Zanck*Zanck) heartily endorse Tom Waits.
Therefore, Tom Waits= Cool
'nuff said
January 17th, 2006 05:31 PM
texile never could get into him -
tried because at that time - late 70s, early 80s - he was uber-trendy....but - the appeal elludes me.
too much melodrama and drama in the performance for me...
at least liza is SUPPOSED to be a diva.
January 17th, 2006 05:43 PM
stonedinaustralia perhaps predictably, i come in (heavily)on the tom is cool side

Bone Machine is, imho, the best album of the '90s

like some others here (hi FPM SSA) as a callow youth i didn't quite "get it" but once i did i was "got" all the way - this guy is the real deal and makes most other rock and rollers look like pantomime acts

"hang on st.christopher on the passenger side"
January 17th, 2006 05:52 PM
glencar I too like Bone Machine. I don't know much else of his stuff though.
January 17th, 2006 06:46 PM
IrelandCalling4 First introduced to the music of Tom Waits when a friend recommended the excellent 'Heart of Saturday Night' album many-a-year ago,and,it's still my favourite,along with the Live 'NightHawks at the Diner' from '75.

Two or three era's of Waits-isms,from the folky/singer songwriter gold of his first few albums('Closing Time','Heart of saturday Night','Nighthawks','Blue Valentine') through the mid-period great works like 'Rain Dogs' and 'Franks Wild years' and then to the latter day albums,'Mule Variations' being a particular fave -- you just gotta love the atmospheric,weird & wonderful 'What's he building in there..'.

Unlistenable? Check out the sublime 'Closing Time','Asylum Years' & 'Heartattack and Vine' for an intro into some true Waits gold...

"I'm in love with a Jersey girl...sha-la-la-la"
January 17th, 2006 07:31 PM
FPM C10
quote:
glencar wrote:
I too like Bone Machine. I don't know much else of his stuff though.

That's one of his "difficult" albums, too. If you get that you'll get all of it, I think.

Raindogs is a MUST. Keith's on it.
January 18th, 2006 12:37 AM
Brainbell Jangler While I have only heard a little of his work over nearly 30 years, I have always considered Tom Waits a truly original cretive genius. I, too, was impressed with his acting in "Down By Law" and "Ironweed." I am particularly struck by the luminous remarks of Sir Stonesalot and (as always) FPM.

I am equally unsurprised by jb's cretinous comments. "No one really likes" Waits, or Dylan (by implication)? The jb apologists and spinmeisters will tell us that this is just a "character," not the real Josh. I am skeptical. The wise may play at foolishness, but a fool is hardpressed to be wise. If Josh could once display the kind of creative expression SSA exhibited on this thread, I might buy Josh's "I'm not a rude, idiotic asshole but I play one online" cover story. But I'm not holding my breath.
January 18th, 2006 12:43 AM
Sir Stonesalot I liked Tom & Iggy's scene in Jarmush's "Coffee & Cigarettes". It was one of like 3 worthwhile scenes in that clunker.
January 18th, 2006 02:12 AM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I liked Tom & Iggy's scene in Jarmush's "Coffee & Cigarettes". It was one of like 3 worthwhile scenes in that clunker.

That movie shoulda been good... Considering the title and all.
In NYC, I will smoke Kools and drink lots of java...
Then I'm quitting the soul sticks for good!!!
January 18th, 2006 04:06 AM
Mathijs He is one of the only artists of whom you can buy his newest CD, and complete loath it. You play it and you play it again, and you really hate it. You think "this time he's gone too far, it's too weird" or "oh, again another growling jazzy tale of darkness". You put the CD away, and after a couple of months you give it another try. You still don't like it. A couple of months later, you girlfriend finds the CD, starts playing it, and you're hooked. For months in a row, you can't play anything else than that new CD. And when you're finished, you play his entire back catalogue again, and you despearately wait for one of his rare tours, or a new CD. That's Tom Waits for me. His best CD's are Swordfish, Raindogs, my favourite Franks Wild Years, Bone MAchine, The Black Rider, Mule Variations and Real Gone.

I've seen him a couple times, and his performance at Carre Theater in Amsterdam will forever be my favourite ever live show.

Mathijs
January 18th, 2006 05:52 AM
stonedinaustralia "whistling down the wind" (Bone Machine) is his moonlight mile

just as moving

as haunting an invocation of lonelinesss and isolation as you'll ever hear

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)