ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Madison Square Garden, NYC - January 18, 2006
© Jaxx
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tom Waits - Is he cool? Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 18th, 2006 07:56 AM
Lord Homosex Am a huge Tom Waits fan. The first couple albums I do not like at all however. They sound like Billy Joel trying to go the heroin route. Too much "piano is drinking" crap.
But then it becomes just too good. Swordfish, Rain Dogs, Frank's years are superb. Heartattck too actually./ Bo en Machine was very good. I dug "The Black Rider" is spots. There was some weak stuff there but not much. Loved the concept of the two different approaches: the US with the saw and the eastern orchestra. LOVED IT!
beginngin with "Mule Variations" I find he ius repeating himself. Not in a good way. What I hate is when he ;lets his wife write some lyrics. they are terribl;e and you can spot them a mile away.
real Gone was pretty good though.
January 18th, 2006 10:32 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
He is one of the only artists of whom you can buy his newest CD, and complete loath it. You play it and you play it again, and you really hate it. You think "this time he's gone too far, it's too weird" or "oh, again another growling jazzy tale of darkness". You put the CD away, and after a couple of months you give it another try. You still don't like it. A couple of months later, you girlfriend finds the CD, starts playing it, and you're hooked.

That, to me , is WAY too long a waste of a time period to be worth it.
January 18th, 2006 12:40 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

That, to me , is WAY too long a waste of a time period to be worth it.

It took me even longer to "get" Robert Johnson. Glad I took the time.

Last time I saw Tom, me & my buddy Brownie were standing there watching him play "16 Shells from a 30-06" , and Brownie said "He's one of THOSE guys," by which he meant a guy like Leadbelly or Hank Williams or Johnny Cash or Muddy Waters. One of THOSE guys. The Real Deal.

"Yes. Yes, he is," I replied.
January 18th, 2006 12:46 PM
Ihavelotsajam Robert Johnson is much easier to get into-- not even in the same universe. For Tom Waits, you seriously have to first figure out why you would even bother taking so much trouble to get into him, since at the beginning he's so jarring and unpleasant, when there are so many wonderful artists far easier to get into.

Now, if those who have taken the trouble think it's worth it in the end, then great.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
January 18th, 2006 01:49 PM
texile i'll pass folks....
i don't think its some great deep secret i don't get ...
i get it - it just seems so contrived to me.
January 18th, 2006 07:53 PM
PolkSalad never got into him but for some reason I have Bone Machine on cassette. I'll go play it now. I do like Jon Dee Graham's version of "Way Down In The Hole" tho...
January 18th, 2006 09:48 PM
Prodigal Son He's an acquired taste. But one I can enjoy, although he is very limited at times. Albums such as Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Bone Machine, Mule Variations, Heartattack and Vine are quite good. From his less interesting jazzy beatnik days, the best ones are Closing Time, Blue Valentine and Foreign Affairs. The others are fairly mediocre. He wrote some nice jazzy pieces: "I Never Talk to Strangers," "Wrong Side o the Road," "Whistlin' Past the Graveyard," "Burman Shave," "Eggs and Sausage," "Step Right Up," the more folkish "Ol 55" and "Heart of Saturday Night." But still, Tom is my oddball favourite.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)