ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Madison Square Garden, NYC - January 18, 2006
© Jaxx
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fine Bands from Oz Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 13th, 2006 05:35 PM
Dick Bush Tommy Emmanuel - not a guitarman, but a manguitar. I saw it first time with Bill and Rhythm Kings. Hell out of a guitar genius.

"Tutti Frutti":

http://user.it.uu.se/~rifo5297/Tommy_Emmanuel_-_boogie(1).wmv
January 13th, 2006 05:35 PM
pdog Aren't The D4 from Oz?
Good list SS...
Heard a great Nick Cave being drunk and crazy from a friend who toured with him on Lolapooloozers a million years ago...
See ya' soon...
January 13th, 2006 05:42 PM
Dan
quote:
pdog wrote:
Aren't The D4 from Oz?
Good list SS...
Heard a great Nick Cave being drunk and crazy from a friend who toured with him on Lolapooloozers a million years ago...
See ya' soon...

Lolla '94 both days still ranks as 2 of the top 3 or 4 concerts I have ever been to in my life. Not any band, just almost all the bands.

First exposure to Nick Cave. I think he followed L7. It was a GA show, the area in front of the stage suddenly cleared out and I gravitated up there just for the shade. I was blown away when they hit the stage.
January 13th, 2006 08:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot The D4 are from New Zealand.

I saw them at the Underground Garage Festival.

Ever hear their version of Johnny Thunders "Pirate Love"? Fookin' good laddy!
January 13th, 2006 08:13 PM
Daethgod Airborne - AC/DC influenced rockers from Warrnambool, will be HUGE this year

Screaming Jets

Nick Barker - his solo acoustic cD is hot, very Stonesy its called C-Sides

January 13th, 2006 08:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot FG...

The Datsuns are from New Zealand, although they are based in London now.

They are pretty good. I saw them open for The Pixies, and they held my interest. The albums are pretty decent too. I like 'em.
January 13th, 2006 08:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nick Barker eh?

I'll check him out. Thanks for the tip.
January 13th, 2006 08:30 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Daethgod wrote:

Screaming Jets

holy shit, I won tickets and a pizza party after their show with them years ago. they weren't expecting a sausage party after the show so fuck em. I think I've got the signed cd somewhere. oh man it was at the Thirsty Whale...
January 13th, 2006 11:08 PM
StickyFishFingers Yep agree with Daethgod's hit prediction - Airborne are about to become the next big thing to come out of Australia.

here's some more for the list:
The Cruel Sea
Tex, Don & Charlie (Perkins, Don Walker & Charlie Owens?)
The Saints - aussie punk pioneers
Radio Birdman - as above
Crowded House
The Whitlams
Frenzal Rhomb
Spiderbait
Rebecca's Empire
Yothu Yindi
Dave Graney and the Coral Snakes
Paul Kelly
WolfMother
The Living End
The Angels (aka Angel City - in the US)
The Skyhooks

January 13th, 2006 11:10 PM
glencar The Whitlams? Interesting choice there...
January 14th, 2006 04:29 AM
egon men at work
Johhny farham

i see no one metions powderdust (powderfinger?),
but that's probably because they are shit?
January 14th, 2006 10:06 AM
corgi37 Airborne are a litte too "The Darkness" for me. Wolfmother are sensational! Fucking great record.

Here's my list. Mind you, i hate Aussie music.

Kings of the Sun - Our Aerosmith. Best band live. I sent some of their stuff to Gazza last year. They supported GNR on their 1st tour here, but got the boot. They made great firm friends with Van Halen in the late 80's, and virtually lived in Cabo. Cool cock rock

Rose Tattoo - Toughest band in the world. A major influence on GnR. But, they were/are the real deal. Awesome classic blues based rock. Make Ac/Dc look like giggling schoolgirls.

Cold Chisel - Bit hackneyed now, but probably our version of the Stones. Amazingly varied songs, with one of Oz's best song writers. Khe Sanh is our national anthem.

Easybeats - Could match it with the best in the mid 60's.

Ac/Dc - Yeah, well 3 of them were Scottish immigrants, but the drummer was Aussie. Or, is he a Pom? Anyway, it was Australia that shaped them, much like the Bee Gees, who came from Manchester, and are only Aussies when they (rarely) come here.

Hard ons - Cool, frenzied punk. Hilarious song titles, like "Dick cheese". Lot of power for a 3 piece.

Crowded House - Ok, Neil Finn is from N.Z., but the other 2 were Aussies. Superb pop. Some lyrics simply awe inspiring. Seemed a bit lame, but really could rock hard live. Debut album, and "Woodface" album, sheer genius.

I find Jet just too derivative. They come from the next suburb to me. I think i saw them live once, but it was in a pub with about 30 people in it. Cant be sure, but i 100% remember the drummer.

Never like INXS. Never liked Midnight Oil.

Would have done Olivia in a second! She came here from England when she was 8 or so, but tell her she aint Aussie, and she'll have you thrown over board from a dive boat.

Masters Apprenctices - 100% our Stones! Very, very good. Their hit (well, its like an anthem) "Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be" is a deserved classic. It was recorded at Abby Rd Studios. yep, those Fab 4 were recording next door. The singer, Jim Keays, plays in the accoustic band with Darrel Cotten (see ZOot). Lennon was chatting to him during a break, and said he liked what he heard. Jim was on the radio 2 weeks ago, and said a little story, but i cant 100% recall the details. He either said Yoko was nursing Jim's new baby, or John and Yoko were with him when Jim got a call saying his baby was born, and they were very excited for him. The bass player for Masters Apprentices, Glenn Wheatley, is manager of our version of, say, Tom Jones, namely, John Farnham. Farnham did a version of "HELP" that both Lennon and Macca said was the best they'd ever heard. Farnham also was lead singer for a short time in Little River Band.

Little River Band - Pretty tame and MOR for the late 70's. Very West Coat U.S. sound. Too mature for our pop/rock charts. But, damned if they were'nt fucking great live! Amazing musicians. As is have said on another thread, to this day in the U.S. "Reminiscing" is like top 3 of all time songs played on U.S. radio. Yep, true. Right up there with "Yesterday".

Men at work - Naaah! But, oddly, very good live.

Powderfinger - I like them. Very Stonesy. Bernard Fanning has a voice as haunting as Neil Young. Live, they kick out the jams!

Silverchair - Nirvana-lite!

Hoodoo Gurus - 1 of our best live bands. They ruled the pubs and larger barns for ages. Simply amazing live. Songs like "Miss free love", "whats my scene" and the sensational "Bittersweet" are still radio staples.

Now, some 1 hit wonders.

Joe Dolcie - Actually, a Yank. His 1 hit "Shuddup ya face" a smash in many countries. I hate him.

Zoot - Elenour Rigby - Seriously, a great song. Lennon loved it! Darrel Cotton (the singer) plays in a "all-star" acoustic band, doing the clubs/pubs. He supports my footy team, and is a great bloke. Still looks 16! BTW, Rick Springfield was the lead guitarist. If you can, download the song. Its great.

Sherbet - Huge here for years, but had 1 hit song in the U.K. with "Howzat!". Very fluffy, lame, teen band. Drummer was very good though.

Skyhooks - Same as above. Actually, the 2 bands had a Stones/Beatles relationship. The tough kids liked the Hooks, the soft teeny girls liked Sherbet. Skyhooks famous for having nearly every song of their debut album banned from Aussie radio. Debut album was #1 for something like 14 weeks in 74/75. Didnt really have a hit anywhere else, but Iron Maiden covered "Women in uniform". Also, very famous for song on their real last album. Song is: "Why dont you all get fucked". Er, yeah, that was banned too!

Daddy Cool - Very hippie/stoner type band. Very college type band. "Eagle Rock" is easily, and i mean easily, the most famous song an Aussie has ever made. Ross Wilson at one stage one of our most successful song writers. Later band, Mondo Rock, very big for a time too in the 80's. His hound of a wife had a 1 hit smash called "Bop GIrl" circa 82. Shit, shit, shit song. But, famous for having Nicole Kidman in the clip. She plays a "bridesmaid".

Madison Avenue - Had 2 hits here, but 1 pretty successful international dance hit with "Dont call me baby". Boring dance song, but had a great bass line.

Ratcat - "Dont go now" and "That aint bad" pre-empted the "grunge" and college rock scene by years. Very simple, catchy pop/rock.

But, look out for Corgi's 2006 releases. Should elevate him into the stratosphere!
January 15th, 2006 04:07 AM
StickyFishFingers It's a crime that Rose Tattoo have never received the same amount of adulation & success as AC/DC. Angry Anderson is a champion - although he did suck when he was Ray Martin's gimp back for a while back in the late 80's/early 90's. Pete Wells isn't too well at the moment, has been undergoing cancer treatment.

The Easybeats are one of my fave aussie bands. I can't put my finger on it but for some reason Stevie Wright reminds me of Brian Jones.

Cold Chisel shit me because the FM stations just can't get enough of them and Jimmy Barnes. I swear 96FM radio in Perth has something written into their contract legally requiring them to play either a Chisel song or a Barnesy song every 30 minutes. Them and John Mellencamp.

Totally forgot about the Hard Ons. I really love their cover of Let there be rock with Henry Rollins on vocals.
January 15th, 2006 09:05 AM
corgi37 Rose Tattoo completely blew away GnR at Calder Raceway! I dont care what anyone says, they shook the joint. And, no lame ass 15 minute ballads! Wells is indeed sick, but is still playing. He's bald as a badger. Angry just cant live down the "Ray Martin years", or the other 2 shocking moments in his career.

Providing the "wedding" song to Kylie & Jason in Neighbours.

And riding around in a fake "Batmobile" at one of the Aussie Rules grand finals! hahaha - fuck that sucked!

I agree about Chisel. They have been played too much. MMM in Melbourne plays them ad nauseum! And, Aussie Crawl. I mean, come on, they were shit in 79, and no better now. I refuse to believe anyone in this country wants to hear "Boys light up" or "Errol"! Sorry, Daeth, if you play them! hahahaha. But, if you do, DO YOU WANT TO? Or, are you forced to? And, Gangajang??? Tell me a soul who waits to hear their one hit? But, WHY IS IT PLAYED?

January 15th, 2006 08:44 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Joey.

The Jam are Brits.

....Surrey Boys too, "I know you Know I'm from Woking and Ya think I'm a fraud". Great line.
January 16th, 2006 02:23 PM
JuanTCB Any love for The Easybeats?
January 16th, 2006 09:01 PM
Daethgod i just finished reading "The Wretched Life of Stevie Wright"

http://oil.bradharvey.home.att.net/swright.htm

[Edited by Daethgod]
January 17th, 2006 06:35 AM
exile
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

In no particular order.

The Lime Spiders
Hoodoo Gurus
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Radio Birdman
The Birthday Party
The Saints
The Scientists
The Lipstick Killers
The Other Side

That is actually a pretty cool list SS. I agree.
January 17th, 2006 11:10 AM
telecaster Air Supply
January 17th, 2006 11:28 AM
Joey " Air Supply "

January 17th, 2006 12:20 PM
JuanTCB
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
i just finished reading "The Wretched Life of Stevie Wright"

http://oil.bradharvey.home.att.net/swright.htm

[Edited by Daethgod]

Wow - had no idea that Stevie hit such hard times. Hope he's since pulled himself together.

I second the nods for Ratcat (heard "That Ain't Bad" in college and still have my Tingles EP to this day) and the Gurus.

Jet is derivative as hell, but has some great singles and is really fun live.
January 17th, 2006 04:25 PM
Ramrod Unfortunately there are lots of Australian bands that are successful but suck so I wont mention them. But there are quite a lot of successful Australian bands that are pretty cool and here are some I would recommend.

As previously mentioned a good starting point is to check out 'The Easybeats' for sure. Lots of classic songs, one of the best bands in the world for a couple of years in the mid sixties. They're interesting to compare to bands such as 'The Kinks' maybe.

Late 60's/early 70's stuff by 'Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs' was pretty good, hard driving blues rock. Singer/songwriter Richard Clapton had a great album in the seventies titled 'Goodbye Tiger' that is worth checking out.

For more nineties stuff 'Kim Salmon and the Surrealists' are a good choice. Kim Salmon is the founder of 'The Scientists' and also used to play in The 'Beasts of Bourbon'who play a stonesy kind of rock/blues/swamp/country style. Another act that have some interesting stuff is 'The Cruel Sea'. They share the same lead singer as 'The Beasts of Bourbon' but play a different mixture of styles.

Another interesting OZ band is 'Died Pretty'. Check out their album 'Doughboy Hollow'. It's pop with an underground alternative mindset. 'The John Butler Trio' are an acoustic based Aus band but John Butler himself is an American originally. Still, an interesting band and founded in Australia.
January 17th, 2006 07:04 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
This list is not comprehensive. Please feel free to add on.

In no particular order.

The Lime Spiders
Hoodoo Gurus
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Radio Birdman
The Birthday Party
The Saints
The Scientists
The Lipstick Killers
The Other Side

Must be something in the water....

Intentionally left off...

INXS
Midnight Oil

Blech.

...Nice one SS. Seem to have quite the universal appetite there.

Midnight Oil- They play in the same league as current U2, Geldof, Vedder that ilk.

Fucking TV evangelists theee 'ole bloodyyyy lot.
January 17th, 2006 07:07 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Airborne are a litte too "The Darkness" for me. Wolfmother are sensational! Fucking great record.

Here's my list. Mind you, i hate Aussie music.

Kings of the Sun - Our Aerosmith. Best band live. I sent some of their stuff to Gazza last year. They supported GNR on their 1st tour here, but got the boot. They made great firm friends with Van Halen in the late 80's, and virtually lived in Cabo. Cool cock rock

Rose Tattoo - Toughest band in the world. A major influence on GnR. But, they were/are the real deal. Awesome classic blues based rock. Make Ac/Dc look like giggling schoolgirls.

Cold Chisel - Bit hackneyed now, but probably our version of the Stones. Amazingly varied songs, with one of Oz's best song writers. Khe Sanh is our national anthem.

Easybeats - Could match it with the best in the mid 60's.

Ac/Dc - Yeah, well 3 of them were Scottish immigrants, but the drummer was Aussie. Or, is he a Pom? Anyway, it was Australia that shaped them, much like the Bee Gees, who came from Manchester, and are only Aussies when they (rarely) come here.

Hard ons - Cool, frenzied punk. Hilarious song titles, like "Dick cheese". Lot of power for a 3 piece.

Crowded House - Ok, Neil Finn is from N.Z., but the other 2 were Aussies. Superb pop. Some lyrics simply awe inspiring. Seemed a bit lame, but really could rock hard live. Debut album, and "Woodface" album, sheer genius.

I find Jet just too derivative. They come from the next suburb to me. I think i saw them live once, but it was in a pub with about 30 people in it. Cant be sure, but i 100% remember the drummer.

Never like INXS. Never liked Midnight Oil.

Would have done Olivia in a second! She came here from England when she was 8 or so, but tell her she aint Aussie, and she'll have you thrown over board from a dive boat.

Masters Apprenctices - 100% our Stones! Very, very good. Their hit (well, its like an anthem) "Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be" is a deserved classic. It was recorded at Abby Rd Studios. yep, those Fab 4 were recording next door. The singer, Jim Keays, plays in the accoustic band with Darrel Cotten (see ZOot). Lennon was chatting to him during a break, and said he liked what he heard. Jim was on the radio 2 weeks ago, and said a little story, but i cant 100% recall the details. He either said Yoko was nursing Jim's new baby, or John and Yoko were with him when Jim got a call saying his baby was born, and they were very excited for him. The bass player for Masters Apprentices, Glenn Wheatley, is manager of our version of, say, Tom Jones, namely, John Farnham. Farnham did a version of "HELP" that both Lennon and Macca said was the best they'd ever heard. Farnham also was lead singer for a short time in Little River Band.

Little River Band - Pretty tame and MOR for the late 70's. Very West Coat U.S. sound. Too mature for our pop/rock charts. But, damned if they were'nt fucking great live! Amazing musicians. As is have said on another thread, to this day in the U.S. "Reminiscing" is like top 3 of all time songs played on U.S. radio. Yep, true. Right up there with "Yesterday".

Men at work - Naaah! But, oddly, very good live.

Powderfinger - I like them. Very Stonesy. Bernard Fanning has a voice as haunting as Neil Young. Live, they kick out the jams!

Silverchair - Nirvana-lite!

Hoodoo Gurus - 1 of our best live bands. They ruled the pubs and larger barns for ages. Simply amazing live. Songs like "Miss free love", "whats my scene" and the sensational "Bittersweet" are still radio staples.

Now, some 1 hit wonders.

Joe Dolcie - Actually, a Yank. His 1 hit "Shuddup ya face" a smash in many countries. I hate him.

Zoot - Elenour Rigby - Seriously, a great song. Lennon loved it! Darrel Cotton (the singer) plays in a "all-star" acoustic band, doing the clubs/pubs. He supports my footy team, and is a great bloke. Still looks 16! BTW, Rick Springfield was the lead guitarist. If you can, download the song. Its great.

Sherbet - Huge here for years, but had 1 hit song in the U.K. with "Howzat!". Very fluffy, lame, teen band. Drummer was very good though.

Skyhooks - Same as above. Actually, the 2 bands had a Stones/Beatles relationship. The tough kids liked the Hooks, the soft teeny girls liked Sherbet. Skyhooks famous for having nearly every song of their debut album banned from Aussie radio. Debut album was #1 for something like 14 weeks in 74/75. Didnt really have a hit anywhere else, but Iron Maiden covered "Women in uniform". Also, very famous for song on their real last album. Song is: "Why dont you all get fucked". Er, yeah, that was banned too!

Daddy Cool - Very hippie/stoner type band. Very college type band. "Eagle Rock" is easily, and i mean easily, the most famous song an Aussie has ever made. Ross Wilson at one stage one of our most successful song writers. Later band, Mondo Rock, very big for a time too in the 80's. His hound of a wife had a 1 hit smash called "Bop GIrl" circa 82. Shit, shit, shit song. But, famous for having Nicole Kidman in the clip. She plays a "bridesmaid".

Madison Avenue - Had 2 hits here, but 1 pretty successful international dance hit with "Dont call me baby". Boring dance song, but had a great bass line.

Ratcat - "Dont go now" and "That aint bad" pre-empted the "grunge" and college rock scene by years. Very simple, catchy pop/rock.

But, look out for Corgi's 2006 releases. Should elevate him into the stratosphere!

AND how many there were born in Britain?

Honestly! It's their origins! Nail down the fucking cutlery. They'll steal anything from an old ladies pension to a Croat' tennis bitch.
January 17th, 2006 07:21 PM
gypsymofo60 Died Pretty were very good.

"JOHNNY FARNHAM"????????????????WTF?
Radio Birdman were a great band.
Cold Chisel were in the words of Chrissie Hynde, "A fucking right bore!"
Master's Apprentices were way ahead of the Aussie times, miind you that wasn't hard to be in 1960-1973.

Beasts Of Bourbon
Fastbuck..Never achieved any attention, but great live & had one Live record.

Kevin Borich
Kush, no not Hush- Kush 70s arty-farty fucks but very good.
Spiderbait
Saints ahead of the times too, but got their break in punked out London. Oz had ignored them, now claim them as legends. Typical!

Early Iva Davies. (ICEHOUSE)
Phil Manning
Ayers Rock
Ariel
Aztecs
Steve Cummings. Lotta respect there.
Hate Chisel, but all dues Don Walker, Ian Moss
Little River Band, bit postcardy at times but talented musos.
Jet
PANDAMOYUM
January 17th, 2006 07:34 PM
texile acdc - and i love that easybeats song, friday on my mind...
January 17th, 2006 10:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, shame on me for forgetting The Easybeats and Died Pretty.
January 17th, 2006 10:35 PM
stonedinaustralia for mine stevie wright had one of THE great rock and roll voices - his post easybeats tune "Evie" (produced by former band mates Vanda & Young) is a classic

as, i presume, most ac/dc fans would know the easybeats George Young is Angus and Malcolm's older brother
January 17th, 2006 11:46 PM
gypsymofo60 Mark Holden & The Pink Carnation Brigade.
Guy Sebastian & The Australian Idol Crew.

Thankyou one and all, you do your nation proud.
Come on Aussie, Come on, come on
Come on Aussie, come on.
January 18th, 2006 03:17 AM
Daethgod
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
for mine stevie wright had one of THE great rock and roll voices - his post easybeats tune "Evie" (produced by former band mates Vanda & Young) is a classic

as, i presume, most ac/dc fans would know the easybeats George Young is Angus and Malcolm's older brother

In that Stevie Wright book i read it says that Stevie was actually offered the gig as lead singer of AC/DC.
George Young from the Easybeats (Vanda/Young) told Stevie to go to this club and see his younger brothers band (Malcolm and Angus) and that they were chasing a singer as the current singer (Dave Evans) was unreliable etc

Stevie got there an hour b4 showtime , saw the empty venue, and took off....
Stevie then told George that he didnt turn up at all the gig ...

bet thats one day Stevie Wright wants back ..

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)