ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Today: Last day of Aceves' exhibition and RO Party on the air!!
© Fernando Aceves
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Black&blue or Tattoo you Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 8th, 2005 05:29 PM
KeithRichardsgrl Which album is better?? Black & Blue or Tattoo you?

Im just woundering.
January 8th, 2005 05:33 PM
Schleisher No question there, Tattoo all the way.
January 8th, 2005 05:47 PM
glencar TY all the way here too.
January 8th, 2005 06:11 PM
Angiegirl Tough choice, very different albums, both great. But I'll go for Tattoo as well.
January 8th, 2005 06:25 PM
Saint Sway Hand Of Fate & Crazy Mama are the best songs on either record. But TY is better album.

both albums are solid start to finish
[Edited by Saint Sway]
January 8th, 2005 06:36 PM
Bloozehound that's a pretty even match up in my book

I'll have to think about this one
January 8th, 2005 06:43 PM
Some Guy Black and Blue is super! A non Stones buddy of mine upon listening to this disc for the first time bought it. Great memories from this album. Both are great, but I prefer B&B.
January 8th, 2005 08:31 PM
time is on my side TATOO YOU all the way. Personally I never thought Black & Blue was that strong of an album and believe me I've tried over the years (got it when it was first released and have listened to it about 40 to 50 times since). It has some good songs on it but to me it's just an average Stones record nothing really special. However, I have friends who love it considering it the Stones most underrated album and they swear by it (I think there are people on this board who would probably agree with some of my friends). On the other hand, I love TATOO YOU and consider it the last truly great album the Stones released. It's a very strong album from the first to very last song. So for me, it's a contest between a great album, TATOO YOU, and an average STONES album, BLACK and BLUE.

Taste in music is very subjective and it all depends on one's personal like and dislikes from your own highly personal musical point of view.

[Edited by time is on my side]
January 8th, 2005 08:57 PM
Bob Tamp Tattoo is a better album overall, even though I love Black and Blue.

Side 2 of Tattoo beginning with Worried about You, and ending with Waiting on a friend is one of the most cohesive album sides they have ever done. These ballads are all super
January 8th, 2005 08:59 PM
Poplar
I'm throwing the red flag... we gotta go to the booth for this one, get a little further review.

You're right though Bob - 2nd half of Tattoo You is close to perfect. sexy as all hell. But then again - Crazy Mamma... the most underated rocker of 'em all.
[Edited by Poplar]
January 9th, 2005 01:20 AM
KeithRichardsgrl I agree with all of you, I mean i like black & blue but Tattoo you is a good album!! I love every song on it.

January 9th, 2005 03:19 AM
violentkind Black & Blue
January 9th, 2005 05:40 AM
F505 Black and Blue

Tattoo You has too many weak spots: hang fire, neighbours, little T&A
January 9th, 2005 10:40 AM
ResidentMule this is probably the toughest comparison I've ever seen on this board, but Tattoo You by just a hair for me
January 9th, 2005 10:59 AM
StonesChick oooh, I LOVE them both. I would have to pick Tattoo You, but they're both excellent.
January 9th, 2005 11:00 AM
Martha I really don't like trying to compare. I love both albums and end up listening to Black & Blue more often. I also bought the Black & Blue tin box thingy at one of the Stones gigs, I think it was the LA benefit show.

I can get into a real smokey mood with Black & Blue.

Melody...it was her second name........
January 9th, 2005 11:31 AM
StonesChick
quote:
Martha wrote:
I really don't like trying to compare. I love both albums and end up listening to Black & Blue more often. I also bought the Black & Blue tin box thingy at one of the Stones gigs, I think it was the LA benefit show.

I can get into a real smokey mood with Black & Blue.

Melody...it was her second name........

I know, I don't like comparing either, especially these two.

I've got the B & B tin box too, very handy!
January 9th, 2005 12:07 PM
LadyJane This IS a tough choice...BnB because of Memory Motel.

LJ.
January 9th, 2005 12:41 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
this is probably the toughest comparison I've ever seen on this board, but Tattoo You by just a hair for me

qft (quoted for truth).
January 9th, 2005 01:09 PM
Bloozehound as far as TY goes.....the "rocker" i.e. Keef side will OWN your ass, but the "ballad" i.e. Mick side will put your ass to sleep.

I enjoy a great Stonesian ballad as much as the next dude, but we all know we're really in it for the rock n roll, but Heaven and WOAF are the shit, some of the Stones best!

I still don't know which album I prefer though
January 9th, 2005 01:30 PM
mac_daddy i really like "rags to excess" and if that were what was released, "black and blue" would get my vote. but it is not (and the official release is inferior)...

"tattoo you" is a damn near perfect album. well-structured, the pacing feels right, not a throwaway in the bunch. we all know it is cobbled together from outakes spanning a period of years, but it sure does not sound that way. it is as cohesive as the band gets - as much so as any of the "classic four"

the real tragedy is that r2e is damn near perfect, too...

_____

on a mostly unrelated note, i am still waiting for the complete el mocambo '77 box set to be officially released, with no songs missing...
January 9th, 2005 03:12 PM
glencar r2e?
January 9th, 2005 03:26 PM
beer
quote:
glencar wrote:
r2e?

Rags to Excess, Mickboys remaster of Black and Blue, with bonus tracks. Ya gotta get it!!

Same with Mickboys Goats Head Soup remaster.

-
January 9th, 2005 03:27 PM
glencar I've got the GHS one & the LIB one but I never heard of that one (r2e).
January 9th, 2005 04:08 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I've got the GHS one & the LIB one but I never heard of that one (r2e).

i got ya...

here is some of the art (w/ the info)....

January 9th, 2005 07:52 PM
sammy davis jr. Black & Blue- Actually never cared much for Tattoo You....
January 9th, 2005 08:24 PM
rolling who 'Black and Blue' has "Hand of Fate," which is a great song ... but 'Tattoo You' has "Waiting on a Friend," which is one of my all-time fav songs by any band.

I'd have to go with 'Tattoo You,' though I've always felt these are two of their worst albums from their still-relevant era of 1964-81.
January 9th, 2005 09:07 PM
kath tattoo you
January 11th, 2005 08:37 AM
mac_daddy here is the rest of the coverart for r2e...

January 11th, 2005 09:46 AM
Nellcote "Coin Toss"
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood