ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Possible variations for this tour.....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 31st, 2004 01:33 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Dan wrote:
I dont know if it will be a matter of whether or not they can sell out every populous area in Brazil (or any other area for that matter) but if they can make the kind of paycheck per gig they have been used to the last few tours.

NOW THAT'S something The greatest whatever's in the world since 1969 don't have worry about. Let's face it, even non fans will sit in a pub, or wherever and brag about being at Altamont,or Oakland,or Madison in '69. Same goes for places like Australia. OH YEAH MAN! I was at Kooyong, and I was at Randwick,(not Randwich),or today even Pearl Jam fans, or Robbie( I love myself)Williams fans talk like experts because they were at Wembley, or Comiskey. Money's no longer an issue for anybody except Mick and his cronies.
December 31st, 2004 12:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gustavobala wrote:

2/3 shows in brazil? they can put 7 shows here, and sell out

let's see-

2 rio
2 sao paulo
1 belo horizonte (over 2 millions)
1 salvador (over 3 millions)
1 brasilia (over 2 nillions)

chile, don't sell out? no, no...they goes there and sell out, chile likes stones, man!

They did 2 shows in Brazil in 1998 and the second show was not sell out (27,000 out of 35,000) and I'm not counting that Forty Licks didn't chart on Brazil Top 40 albums, even less Live Licks. The population is VERY BIG in Brazil but I don't see a big market for the Stones there, like in Argentina. You say Chile, they didn't sell out Chile in 1995 too: 45,000 tickets out of 50,000.
December 31st, 2004 04:46 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

6 months in North America? what about the rest of us? Exclusive for sure!

the tour wont start until September, Ian. August at the very earliest. They also have an option for possible North American shows in January if they need to use it. So, three months in North America in 2005 plus maybe a month in early 2006.

Expect the vast majority of shows to be indoors, and no more shows on successive nights.

Gazza,
Who cares. As long as I get to see them I could care less about any other country, or person for that matter.....no just kidding of coarse.

Well I wasn't excluding any other country I was just talking the U.S. Sorry If it sounded selfish. I didn't mean it that way. I was just thinking of new concepts for them.

*And I can remember feeling very sorry for folks in other countries during the Licks tour that the Stones did not go to. Poor souls kept reading how great the Stones are in concert yet had no real oppurtunity to see them. I still feel sorry they don't get to you. I hope they visit your country this time.

Ian

December 31st, 2004 05:07 PM
Gazza I was just taking the piss, Ian

I doubt the next tour will have as many concerts as the last few world tours did.

Age is catching up on them, Mick has been told by doctors NOT to sing on successive nights anymore and he also talked about shorter tours in future, so I think we can expect fewer shows per month with longer breaks on this one.

Even though they'll probably spend 3 months in North America at the end of this year, I dont expect them to play more than about 35 shows in that leg.
December 31st, 2004 07:12 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
An idea would be to tell Keith not to wear them god awful turquoise silk shirts

not only should he not a wear those silky shirts but he should definately refrain from wearing TWO silky shirts at the same time.

WTF was with that look?? Who the hell wears a shirt over another shirt??!!?? I thought the fishing lures in his hair was odd but wearing two silk shirts makes me wonder if alzheimers might be setting in. Its just bizarre
December 31st, 2004 07:14 PM
Saint Sway and despite that last rant of mine of mine I still consider Keef to be the coolest looking and dressed rock star ever.

fuck it. Keef is bad ass no matter what he puts on. HES FUCKIN KEITH RICHARDS DAMN IT!!!!!!
December 31st, 2004 07:30 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I was just taking the piss, Ian

I doubt the next tour will have as many concerts as the last few world tours did.

Age is catching up on them, Mick has been told by doctors NOT to sing on successive nights anymore and he also talked about shorter tours in future, so I think we can expect fewer shows per month with longer breaks on this one.

Even though they'll probably spend 3 months in North America at the end of this year, I dont expect them to play more than about 35 shows in that leg.

"Mick has been told by doctors NOT to sing on successive nights anymore">Really? I didn't know that. Why? Is it becuase of his laringitis he may get on occasion. Or is there vocal chord damage?
Actually, no singer should be singing for 2 - 3 hours(Remember, Mick warms up his voice for probably atleast 45 minutes to an hour as well as his body before the show begins) consecutively on consecutive nights no matter what their age. Especially for weeks or months on end.
I think Mick is just playing it safer these days and with good reason. We can't have him loose that voice now can we.
On the Licks tour Mick sang as much, if not more than ever
considering they we're recording alot on tour as well.

Fill me in please.
Ian
December 31st, 2004 07:51 PM
Gazza The Stones were scheduled to play back to back nights in Amsterdam in August 2003 followed by two at Twickenham a few days later.

The second Amsterdam and first Twickenham shows were postponed because Mick supposedly had the flu. The problem really had more to do with the strain on his vocal cords.

After resuming the tour and re-scheduling the two shows, he was also advised not to do shows on successive nights anymore. As a result, the first of two concerts scheduled for Wembley Arena on September 14 & 15 was brought forward to the 13th at a few days notice.

As the tour was almost over by this time, he was able to finish it without any more postponements. Supposedly he was to get surgery after the tour ended to repair the problems with his vocal cords, but whether that turned out to be the case isn't known.

Prior to this problem, the Stones had actually played very few back-to-back shows throughout the entire Licks tour as it was clear that doing so was causing him voice problems.

With age and the strain on his chords/nodes, its taking longer to recover between each show. So, dont expect back to back shows anymore
December 31st, 2004 11:14 PM
gypsymofo60 The problem is, you develope nodules on the vocal chords with excessive use, and with constantly singing with an untrained voice. Stevie Nicks' voice was permanantely damaged in this way, apparently. But vocal chord nodules require surgery, and the risk of losing ones voice forever.
January 1st, 2005 09:44 AM
BILL PERKS IAN -I THINK YOU NEED TO FACE THE REALITY OF THE STONES AGE AND THAT THINGS WILL BE SCALED BACK,YOUR HOPES NOTWITHSTANDING.ENJOY ANYTHING YOU GET FROM THEM,BECAUSE SOON ENOUGH, IT WILL BE OVER.
January 1st, 2005 10:26 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A tost to you all for a new best fucking year in our lives, a great album, the best tour with the cheapest prices and no mother nature giving us bad news

Success, sex, a nd rock and roll you bastards

Gracias rogerriffin, Lucia told me about your phone call I will call you later as soon as I get your number in the phone device

The Rolling Stones have ever been the benchmark of touring new technologies, innovation and creativity: First big stage with lights and fireworks, first moving stages, bridges, plattgforms, (not sure if but…) first Live TV broadcast of a show, but sure about the very first show broadcast on the net, first webchoice to select part of the setlist, first Stadiums, Arenas and theatres tour, etc

This year they must be more creative than ever and give us the best tour ever, it’s their second tour of the new millennium!!
January 1st, 2005 12:51 PM
gustavobala
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

They did 2 shows in Brazil in 1998 and the second show was not sell out (27,000 out of 35,000) and I'm not counting that Forty Licks didn't chart on Brazil Top 40 albums, even less Live Licks. The population is VERY BIG in Brazil but I don't see a big market for the Stones there, like in Argentina. You say Chile, they didn't sell out Chile in 1995 too: 45,000 tickets out of 50,000.

soldatti...i was in that show in 1998, i don't know about the numbers, but i almost not enter, because was very, very people out wanted enter...

i think like in the soccer championship the guys stollen using these numbers
January 1st, 2005 06:10 PM
Soldatti That second show was in a small place, and according to Billboard Boxscore they didn't sold out the venue.
They will play in Brazil, but I don't see 3-4 shows there.
January 3rd, 2005 03:29 AM
wgwalsh The boys should do a show in Youngstown, Ohio just like Bruce Springsteen did.

The band could name the new album "Youngstown" a play on words for their maturity and returning to the fountain of youth in this town.

Youngstown is building a new 5000 seat convocation center. The boys should end the world tour here.

The Youngstown World Tour would be great for the band and the city.

January 3rd, 2005 11:02 AM
jb MT should be added as a guitarist and Bill should be offered 10 million to re-join..Mac or Preston on Keys and Level fired and recycled into pulp...
January 6th, 2005 03:47 AM
IanBillen
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:
The boys should do a show in Youngstown, Ohio just like Bruce Springsteen did.

The band could name the new album "Youngstown" a play on words for their maturity and returning to the fountain of youth in this town.

Youngstown is building a new 5000 seat convocation center. The boys should end the world tour here.

The Youngstown World Tour would be great for the band and the city.

?Where the fuck is Youngstown, Ohio?

Now I have heard of Warren, Ohio. Now that is supposed to be nice. A real "Vaca" spot for the wealthy they say.

.....Ian

January 8th, 2005 07:50 AM
edithgrove Aside from the appearance that Chuck looks like he should be playing in a piano bar at a Holiday Inn, what's so damned awful about the guy?
January 8th, 2005 08:00 AM
IanBillen
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Well he is kinda irritatting. Also many might fell he looks a little too nicey-nicey for being on tour with The Stones.

I really don't have any problem with him. His playing is good enough. The only thing that urked me was when he was sticking his face in the camera during Honkey Tonk Women during the The Licks show.

Ian
January 8th, 2005 10:44 AM
glencar Where the fuck is Youngstown, Ohio?

Now I have heard of Warren, Ohio. Now that is supposed to be nice. A real "Vaca" spot for the wealthy they say.

.....Ian

IAN Youngstown is east/southeast of Cleveland. It's a gritty industrial town. They used to have a huge Ford plant just off the interstate. Since they usually have played Cleveland & Pittsburgh on the recent tours, it would be odd for them to add Youngstown.
January 8th, 2005 02:41 PM
Gazza >Where the fuck is Youngstown, Ohio?
.....Ian

tsk, Ian - I thought you were a boxing fan. Youngstown is the home of Boom Boom Mancini.

Remember him?

BOOM BOOM MANCINI

Written By Warren Zevon/Tony Santos/IanBillen
c. 1987 Zevon Music/BMI

Hurry home early - hurry on home
Boom Boom Mancini's fighting Bobby Chacon

From Youngstown, Ohio, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini
A lightweight contender, like father like son
He fought for the title with Frias in Vegas
And he put him away in round number one

When Alexis Arguello gave Boom Boom a beating
Seven weeks later he was back in the ring
Some have the speed and the right combinations
If you can't take the punches it don't mean a thing

When they asked him who was responsible
For the death of Du Koo Kim
He said, "Someone should have stopped the fight, and told me it was him."
They made hypocrite judgments after the fact
But the name of the game is be hit and hit back

January 8th, 2005 04:43 PM
wgwalsh Youngstown, Ohio odd ???

Yes, indeed.

Youngstown is referred to, in old mobster lore, as little Chicago.

Yes, it is an old gritty steel town with a state university.

The band has had a couple of tunes played on THE SOPRANOS. In that series, Paulie Walnuts got busted on a gun charge in Youngstown.

The deeper you dig, the dirtier you get, and Youngstown has had it's share with a congressman and sheriff doing time in the joint.

Yeah, it would be odd to see the boys in Youngstown, but it could work with the new convocation center.
January 8th, 2005 04:51 PM
Gazza And also the title of a GREAT Springsteen song
January 8th, 2005 06:33 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Where the fuck is Youngstown, Ohio?
.....Ian

tsk, Ian - I thought you were a boxing fan. Youngstown is the home of Boom Boom Mancini.

Yes. Not only do I remember him. Actually I am distant cousins with him (although many say that from this area). He was at my grandfathers funeral and I met him when I was a kid before that. I live only 7 minutes from Youngstown. I was just joshing our fine member. He knows that.

Ian
Remember him?

BOOM BOOM MANCINI

Written By Warren Zevon/Tony Santos/IanBillen
c. 1987 Zevon Music/BMI

From Youngstown, Ohio, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini
A lightweight contender, like father like son
He fought for the title with Frias in Vegas
And he put him away in round number one

When Alexis Arguello gave Boom Boom a beating
Seven weeks later he was back in the ring
Some have the speed and the right combinations
If you can't take the punches it don't mean a thing

When they asked him who was responsible
For the death of Du Koo Kim
He said, "Someone should have stopped the fight, and told me it was him."
They made hypocrite judgments after the fact
But the name of the game is be hit and hit back

Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood