ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Possible variations for this tour.....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 30th, 2004 03:59 AM
IanBillen A variation this tour as opposed to the Stadium/Arena/Club theme of the Licks tour all at once could be:

To get a summer stadium tour from June-September. Then get the Stones to carry over into the fall after a short 3 week break in areana's and clubs on a re-route of the country.

Just think, in June or July you could see the Stones in a stadium. Come October, November, or December you could catch them on their Arena/club re-route tour in a city near you. I know it worked out in Licks this way anyway for many of us but this time it could be an exclusive two-legged tour. Maybe a powerful, radio proned single could be released which is not on the album during the second leg to keep the momentum.

They could start the Stadium deal say mid June and continue through early September before taking a two or three week break and start the Arean/Club leg in early October till December or early January.

Just a thought as opposed to mixing it up all at once as was with Licks. I thought the Licks concept was outstanding but I am not sure they want to keep the same exact concept with this tour (as it may seem a bit of a been there, done that attitiude with fans and The Stones as well) so this is a possible variation.

Any other idea?
Ian
December 30th, 2004 04:30 AM
FotiniD Well, I really liked the club/arena/stadium concept - even though I only got to experience the 1/3 of that! I don't think they run the risk of repeating themselves if they chose to do it again; they've been doing the stadium / arena thing for years and you can't blame them for that.

So I'd stick to that, yeah. More chances to catch them live in a club (Yeah, I know an all-club tour is nothing more than a mere fantasy...)

And there's the eternal point of getting them back to their basics - just the band and the music, no Vegas stages, not a million backup mucisians and singers up there and yes siree, no Chuck on board. I know the chances are very few, but even so... Here's to hoping!

December 30th, 2004 04:39 AM
Zeeta An idea would be to tell Keith not to wear them god awful turquoise silk shirts!
A good idea also would be to make it mandatory for Charlie to say something like he did at the Olympia!
No gigs over say 3000 people in capacity.
Never happen tho!
December 30th, 2004 05:01 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
An idea would be to tell Keith not to wear them god awful turquoise silk shirts!

I keep seing him putting on those shirts, and not being able to close it, cos hands couldn't do that anymore, actually quite sad
December 30th, 2004 05:15 AM
beer Yeah, keith has to stop dressing like a metro sexual. Fer fucks sake he looked so poofterish some nights it was embarressing.

Elton was probably wondering where all his pink and purple tops went.

-
December 30th, 2004 05:16 AM
IanBillen
Wonder how many songs we will get on the album.

I would prefer a compact, quality, 12 strong tracks with
no secondary numbers as opposed to a bloated 15 or 16
track release.

Ian
December 30th, 2004 05:23 AM
IanBillen
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Wonder how many songs we will get on the album.

I would prefer a compact, quality, 12 strong tracks with
no secondary numbers as opposed to a bloated 15 or 16
track release.

Ian

However, they would have to all fit in nicely and the album would still have to capture you and take you on a ride like a great album does. I would love to hear Keith do a solid kind-of rocker like 999 but in a new, fresh, different kind of light instead of his usual two or three slow ballads.

I think a 12 strong, solid track album with each track not calling for a possible skip to a better number(refferring to non die-hards Stones listeners ofcoarse)would be apt.

Ian
December 30th, 2004 05:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
A variation this tour as opposed to the Stadium/Arena/Club theme of the Licks tour all at once could be:

To get a summer stadium tour from June-September. Then get the Stones to carry over into the fall after a short 3 week break in areana's and clubs on a re-route of the country.

Just think, in June or July you could see the Stones in a stadium. Come October, November, or December you could catch them on their Arena/club re-route tour in a city near you. I know it worked out in Licks this way anyway for many of us but this time it could be an exclusive two-legged tour. Maybe a powerful, radio proned single could be released which is not on the album during the second leg to keep the momentum.

They could start the Stadium deal say mid June and continue through early September before taking a two or three week break and start the Arean/Club leg in early October till December or early January.

6 months in North America? what about the rest of us? Exclusive for sure!

the tour wont start until September, Ian. August at the very earliest. They also have an option for possible North American shows in January if they need to use it. So, three months in North America in 2005 plus maybe a month in early 2006.

Expect the vast majority of shows to be indoors, and no more shows on successive nights.
December 30th, 2004 05:49 AM
F505 My dream: they should only do clubs and small arena's. No stadiums anymore. Change the setlist rigorous and do less warhorses or play them not at the end but in between in short tight arrangements. Kick the brass out including Keys. Find a real good saxplayer. Fire Lisa, Chaplin and Fowler. The background vocals can be done by Keith and Ron. Chuck Leavall can pack his bags. Let Mick play keyboards in songs where it is necessary: fool to cry, faraway eyes, worried about you etc.
Lock Ron Wood up for several weeks or months without booze and let him practise, practise, practise.

OK I know: it's time to wake up.
December 30th, 2004 05:53 AM
FotiniD
quote:
beer wrote:
Yeah, keith has to stop dressing like a metro sexual. Fer fucks sake he looked so poofterish some nights it was embarressing.

Metrosexual?! I actually thought he looked rather bohemian You should see how some of my male friends look and dress, then Keith would look a lot less metrosexual to you

quote:
F505 wrote:
The background vocals can be done by Keith and Ron.

Amen to that brother.
December 30th, 2004 05:55 AM
Moonisup a solo song from chuck would be nice, from his smashing hit album : What's in that bag.
OR he could read passages from his auto bio to us, on the spots where he fills in keiths or Ron's solo's with that Pling pling,
December 30th, 2004 06:20 AM
Zeeta
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Metrosexual?! I actually thought he looked rather bohemian You should see how some of my male friends look and dress, then Keith would look a lot less metrosexual to you

Amen to that brother.

They are not bohemian man, they look very Vegasy - and since when has Viva LAs Vegas been bohemian!

I'm glad you enjoyed the shirt however. What do your male friends wear then? Edible thongs!

Amen to THIS
V
V
V
V

December 30th, 2004 06:39 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
I'm glad you enjoyed the shirt however. What do your male friends wear then? Edible thongs!

Hmm... It's really hard to describe. You should see it to believe it
December 30th, 2004 06:43 AM
FOURCHETTE GAZZA,

have you heard anything about possible concerts in South America ? Nobody seems to mention South America any longer...
Thanks.
December 30th, 2004 07:06 AM
corgi37 I think they will do very few stadium shows, if any. There just isnt a market for it anymore. Well, maybe U2. And with all the shit going on in the world, if they turn out and charge $500+ for a ticket, you just know there is going to be vacant seats.

I want a arena tour. A smattering of stadium, to be sure. But, arena is the way. I want a return to the runway/ramps of the good old days. I am sick to death of this b stage crap. Its a waste. What?? 3 songs or so? 4 tops! I'd rather have ramps jutting out into the audience to get them closer to us. Apart from the cost factor, and the loss they stand to lose in the current climate, i really believe they might be too old for a stadium show. I am only going off Twickenham from 4 flicks, but Christ, i find that boring. None of them hardly move. And the stage was so dull. They really need to over haul their designs. They can do better. I swear if they do Sympathy and have that same hackneyed video footage from 94 i'll scream! Like i said, i'm only going off the dvd, so crucify if you want. I guess stadiums would come into play in Europe more than Mr. Bush's land. ANd, indeed, what about Sth America? Why do they always chicken out of that place? The crowds there are bloody unreal. And, for the life of me, why dont they play Rock n Rio??? I'm sick of fuckers like McCartney and Metalica breaking records, when our old guys could easily smash them.

I want an extravagant light show. No hold barred. A return to former glories. Props and confetti and balloons and lasers and you name it. Inflateable cocks even! I want Jagger to make funny comments. I want him to throw buckets of water over people. I want him and Keith to share a mic. I want Keith to sing rockers.

I can say almost 100% they wont come here. If our dollar holds, maybe we'll have a slight chance. But they'd be charging way too high a price for good seats. Their fan base here, though strong, is not really prepared to pay that. Unike the Eagles, who played triple the Stones shows, and sold them all out, and charged higher seat prices. I'm afraid the Stones have burnt their bridges here by not touring as they should have. Dont forget, up to 95, they hadnt played here in 22 years. Thats a long time for people who once adored them to change allegiances to acts that DID tour here.

Most of all, i dont want a fucking live cd of this tour. Sure, sell them like Pearl Jam and the Who do, but not as a substitute new release. I want a dvd though.

And, i want them to re-arrange some of their songs, or retire the 2nd string tunes. Street fighting man, tumbling dice, gimme shelter, sympathy, iorr, honky tonk women - all these songs MUST get a new arrangement. Shorten them. Make them tighter and tougher, but for fuck sake, do something. Gimme Shelter has become such a dirge. Sympathy has turned into a dicso song with 2 solos in it (and as i said, the same fucking video footage from 94 - Close up of Keith's eye for example). IORR i never liked, and its just so dull. HTW is a disgrace. Goes 5 minutes longer than it should. I can fall asleep during it now. It's turned into the absolute boring drag that Miss You became. In fact, same with Satisfaction. They just drag the song on and on and on, with more and more fucking brass!!!

December 30th, 2004 08:54 AM
nankerphelge "a solo song from chuck would be nice"

As long as it is someone other than a Stones show!

I like the Wolf Puss concept -- similar to the Lotus stage of '75 except the band emerges from a giant hairy slit!!

December 30th, 2004 09:44 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
"a solo song from chuck would be nice"

As long as it is someone other than a Stones show!

I like the Wolf Puss concept -- similar to the Lotus stage of '75 except the band emerges from a giant hairy slit!!

Do ya have any picture of that Wolf Puss concept Nanky?
December 30th, 2004 09:45 AM
nankerphelge www.thehun.com
December 30th, 2004 10:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
FOURCHETTE wrote:
GAZZA,

have you heard anything about possible concerts in South America ? Nobody seems to mention South America any longer...
Thanks.

I'd imagine it depends on their economy - which was the only reason why they didnt go in 2003.

If things are reasonably stable there, I can't imagine they'd skip that region again as they genuinely love playing there
December 30th, 2004 02:44 PM
Dan I predict a 17 song "greatest hits" set with 2 or 3 new songs and some tickets as high as $1000. The variations will be some nights Paint It Black and some nights Gimme Shelter, some nights Happy and some nights Before They Make Me Run. The ballad slot will be some crummy new song.
December 30th, 2004 10:11 PM
Soldatti
quote:
FOURCHETTE wrote:
GAZZA,

Thanks.

They will be here, don't you worry. They can do various countries too, not only Argentina and Brazil.
December 30th, 2004 10:18 PM
glencar It's hard to see them doing stadiums across the US & then revisiting those same cities to perform at arenas. How many stadiums across the US can be filled? Maybe one in Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA & 3 or 4 others cool cities. The rest of the burgs just won't sell enough tickets. They didn't even sell out Fedex Field in DC last time. There are some places they haven't visited for the last 2-3 tours that might have some pent-up demand. Or they could just stay in 10 cities or so & let the audiences come to them.
December 30th, 2004 10:19 PM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

They will be here, don't you worry. They can do various countries too, not only Argentina and Brazil.

What other countries? Aren't the economies still broke?
December 30th, 2004 10:28 PM
gustavobala
quote:
glencar wrote:

What other countries? Aren't the economies still broke?

i think chile and uruguay

i this year the economies is growing

argentina this year grows 8.6%
brazil this year 5.3%

but need wait 2005 seems like better from us, BUT is earler to say!
December 30th, 2004 10:33 PM
gustavobala when i say 'us' i say 'south america', but we pass no growing in 2001 and 2002, 2003was a shit, 2004 growing again, 2005 seems better!

peru, venezuela and colombia have many fans, but venezuela and colombia have problems...

who knows peru, chile, and uruguai!

paraguay, venezuela, colombia, bolivia, ecuador = no chances!
December 30th, 2004 10:44 PM
LadyJane
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
www.thehun.com

Has JJF been heard from since the posting of the above???

LMFAO.

LJ.
December 30th, 2004 11:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
when i say 'us' i say 'south america', but we pass no growing in 2001 and 2002, 2003was a shit, 2004 growing again, 2005 seems better!

peru, venezuela and colombia have many fans, but venezuela and colombia have problems...

who knows peru, chile, and uruguai!

paraguay, venezuela, colombia, bolivia, ecuador = no chances!

Let's see (I'm not including Mexico here)
Argentina: the most important latin country for the Stones, they can do, EASY, 10 stadium shows (with coherent ticket prices) and not only in Buenos Aires.
Brazil: the other important country, but various steps back from Argentina. They can do 2-3 show there.
Chile: I don't know if they can sell out a stadium there.
Peru: I know that the Stones are popular there, Don't Stop was a smash hit for example.
Colombia: They love the Stones.

Sadly I don't see chances for others countries.
December 30th, 2004 11:29 PM
gypsymofo60 Gotta agree with Corgi's sentiments re: 'The standards'. Sure you gotta keep 'em in the set, but they do need a fresh approach. Maybe The Northern Hemisphere will get to see the guys again, but alas I feel it will be a long time down the track, and here in Oz NAH! never again IMO. I doubt they've got another full album in 'em. I think Don't Stop about they're collective limit today. Great shame.
December 30th, 2004 11:37 PM
gustavobala
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Let's see (I'm not including Mexico here)
Argentina: the most important latin country for the Stones, they can do, EASY, 10 stadium shows (with coherent ticket prices) and not only in Buenos Aires.
Brazil: the other important country, but various steps back from Argentina. They can do 2-3 show there.
Chile: I don't know if they can sell out a stadium there.
Peru: I know that the Stones are popular there, Don't Stop was a smash hit for example.
Colombia: They love the Stones.

Sadly I don't see chances for others countries.

2/3 shows in brazil? they can put 7 shows here, and sell out

let's see-

2 rio
2 sao paulo
1 belo horizonte (over 2 millions)
1 salvador (over 3 millions)
1 brasilia (over 2 nillions)

chile, don't sell out? no, no...they goes there and sell out, chile likes stones, man!
December 30th, 2004 11:54 PM
Dan I dont know if it will be a matter of whether or not they can sell out every populous area in Brazil (or any other area for that matter) but if they can make the kind of paycheck per gig they have been used to the last few tours.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood