ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: STONES TO PLAY GIBRALTAR Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-06-04 04:09 PM
Hand of Fate I know where i'm taking my summer holiday!

http://costadelsolnews.es/localnews/00000094150c0740a/

THE ROLLING STONES TO ROCK THE ROCK
THE ROLLING STONES TO ROCK THE ROCK

BY DAVID EADE

THE LEGENDARY BRITISH ROCK GROUP, THE ROLLING STONES, WILL PERFORM AT GIBRALTAR�S VICTORIA STADIUM IN JULY.
The concert is one of the star attractions organized by the Gibraltar Government to celebrate the Rock�s 300 years under British rule.
The group�s lead singer Mick Jagger was recently in the news after he was dubbed a knight by Prince Charles standing in for his mother Queen Elizabeth II who was in hospital at the time. This caused controversy after the Stones guitarist Keith Richards said he would have declined the honour.
No exact date has been fixed for the concert although it is believed it will be delayed until July to ensure good weather. The Victoria Stadium is the only venue on the Rock that could cater for the large crowd that will want to see the Stones perform.
There will be only three thousand tickets on sale and these will be available in Gibraltar at the John Mackintosh Hall. It is understood that tickets will also be sold in Spain at two record shops, Radio Andaluc�a in La L�nea de la Concepci�n and Discos Grammy in Algeciras.
�GREAT EXCITEMENT�
A spokesman for the Gibraltar Government stated that Gibraltar has always identified very strongly with British culture and that without doubt rock music is a significant part of that culture. He added that the Rolling Stones were thought to be an �impossible dream� for the Rock so there was �great excitement� they had agreed to perform.
A source at Spain�s Office of Diplomatic Information, part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said that they did not doubt the quality of the group that was going to perform on the Rock. Nonetheless a performance by the Rolling Stones to celebrate 300 years of British rule would be considered to be an affront to Spanish sensibilities.

Return to Top

01-06-04 04:15 PM
Taptrick Wow. What great news. Can anyone verify this from another source?
01-06-04 04:19 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Just hope they'll play Gomper.
[Edited by Strange_Stray_Cat]
01-06-04 04:36 PM
Nellcote This, is the best news of the young new year.
It is a signal that there is indeed life for the Stones in '04
On With The Show-Good Health To You!
01-06-04 05:14 PM
Gazza I find it hard to believe that this will happen. I cant see them rehearsing for a couple of weeks or so to perform one show without a tour being around the same time. They never do "one-offs".

If so,maybe this is payback for the knighthood! Although,on second thoughts, as Blair and co seem so keen on imposing joint authority with Spain without asking the residents first, I'd imagine the UK government dont have anything to do with these "celebrations".
01-06-04 05:19 PM
Moonisup I think I agree with gazza, it's not a stonesthing

maybe they will tour, but not gibraltar!

Rik
01-06-04 05:25 PM
Gazza The thing is, though - theyre even saying where they reckon the tickets are going to be sold! They sound pretty sure about it!
01-06-04 05:28 PM
Moonisup it would be great for the spanish, although I hope they will tour South america first!

rik
01-06-04 05:52 PM
Taptrick Courtesy of alreadyoverme on Shidoobee site:
"oh no!! dont take it as a real news....this was posted on dec. 28 and that day nothing is real...i mean you can tease people... make jokes...

at least that's what i think about it, i read it in a spanish site... and having a look at the date ... i bet it's only a joke

ps: if anyone can read spanish and wanna laugh...read it:
www.europasur.com/pg03122...362057.htm

it's kinda funny...it says the goverment thought about the stones playing in a cave!!!!! LOL....but after that they realized it was a small venue for the fans...so they decided they had to play in the stadium...LOL"

May the good Lord shine a light on you,Make every song you sing your favorite tune

01-06-04 05:53 PM
SHINE A LIGHT and many of you here said i was incorrect when i posted that "an announcement" is expected in 6-8 weeks!!!
01-06-04 06:01 PM
KeithRichards210 The proposed setlist:

Short & Curlies
Indian Girl
Can You Hear The Music
Gomper
Just Wanna See His Face
My Girl
Sing This All Together
Turd On The Run
a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog"
01-06-04 06:36 PM
Child of the Moon Hey, KR210... I'd pay to see that show!
01-06-04 06:37 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Hey, KR210... I'd pay to see that show!

Truthfully, so would I! It'd be one hell of a novelty..
01-06-04 07:14 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i know it sounds foolish,especially if you've been following the stones' activities over the years. but, there will be a tour starting in sept.-ish. perhaps this could be their "warm-up" gig???
and it is an historical site in that john and yoko were married on the rock of gibraltar. maybe to the stones, this has some significance???
01-06-04 07:36 PM
glencar I doubt anyone cares where those two got married. I've never been to Spain but this would be interesting year to visit.
01-06-04 08:06 PM
SHINE A LIGHT check out www.gibraltarpanorama.com
01-06-04 08:07 PM
disturbedchef If I heard correctly on the Four Flicks DVD, they will tour again this year but it will be limited. So maybe this is true and will be part of a smaller tour of places they haven't played before. Of course they will have to do a "Cowfest" show in the USA with the recent Madcow outbreak there. I've been to the U.S. and I don't know what all the hubbub is about. It's filled with all kinds of mad cows looking for their child support payments. Oh Well!!
[Edited by disturbedchef]
01-06-04 08:22 PM
Nellcote Hey Gazza;

Although I see your point, I think it fits the new touring mold Keith notes on several occasions. Don't forget, although in the middle of another continent tour, they did come back to N. America for the SARS Fest. No more long multiple jaunt tours is my guess.
01-07-04 03:02 AM
UGot2Rollme another source regarding the Gibraltar gig:

Rock legends The Rolling Stones are set to perform a gig in Gibraltar to mark the 300th anniversary of British rule.

The "Jumpin' Jack Flash" veterans are penciled in to play a concert on the tiny territory - on the southern-most tip of Spain - in July.

The Gibraltar government, shocked the Sir Mick Jagger-fronted band have agreed to appear, has said the booking is "an impossible dream".

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2004

01-07-04 06:44 AM
glencar Will they play Andorra on this tour?
01-07-04 07:51 AM
Jumacfly Andorra , Vatican , and Liechenstein are planned for next club tour...
01-07-04 08:13 AM
SHINE A LIGHT and don't forget lowenstein.....as in prince rupert of....
01-07-04 08:17 AM
Jumacfly i love posting by clicking on the "lick girl" ass...thanks for that Voodoo!!
01-07-04 08:22 AM
SHINE A LIGHT gilbratar is starting to sound more and more likely.....i know someone said they don't care where john & yoko were married, but the island does belong to britain. and our new "sir" mj might feel an obligation to celebrate the island.
it's becoming more than highly likely.....in my opinion.
01-07-04 08:23 AM
Monkey Woman More fuel to the fire...

From the official Gibraltar gov't site:

"Sat 31 Government Tercentenary Rock Concert
It is envisaged that this will be headlined by a British superstar artiste Venue: TBC"
http://www.gibraltar.gov.uk/300yearcalendar.asp

But no precisions on who is that star. Could be Bowie, McCartney...

BTW: Kensbro posted on Iorr.org board that a similar story, but naming the Stones as the star guest, appeared and then disappeared on two official Gibraltar news sites.

http://www.gibraltarpanorama.com

http://straitsnews.com/

So don't pack your bags yet!
01-08-04 09:07 AM
SHINE A LIGHT good news?? as of today, jan.8.....no one has retracted this story.....NOT EVEN THE STONES. you would think they would have some input by now.

also, it is being talked about on a Los Angeles radio station for a few days......still no retraction!!

some members of the entourage live in LA......blondie, bernard, darryl and sundry others. so???
01-08-04 09:54 AM
Doxa "it would be great for the spanish"

Well, I suppose to salud 300 years old British rule in Spanish mainland would not be so great for many Spaniards.. Where next, Belfast? But let the Knight ride and give honour to Great British Empire!!

(By the way, the Spanish people are familiar with these knights since 16th Century.. Another one in a great tradition of Don Quijote. )

Doxa
01-08-04 10:06 AM
L&A
quote:
Doxa wrote:
Well, I suppose to salud 300 years old British rule in Spanish mainland would not be so great for many Spaniards..

You're right Doxa. If they do that, the Stones will loose a big market named Spain. I've many friends in Spain, and most of them hate the British presence at Gibraltar...
01-08-04 10:51 AM
nankerphelge MUST GO TO GIBRALTAR

MUST GO....

01-08-04 10:52 AM
SHINE A LIGHT please remember that the stones' people NEVER say yes or no to rumors until all the paper work has been done.

keep checking straitsnews.com
Page: 1 2