ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Rovesnik" N8 Russia August 2001
Provided by Irina
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sticking Up For The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-08-03 06:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot It's baloney JB.

Gettysburg is the highwater mark of the Confederacy. It was the beginning of the end. It was the first step toward freedom for most blacks in the south.

Why sugarcoat what happened at Gettysburg? I would think blacks would CELEBRATE Gettysburg. Look, a battlefield is for learning about what took place there. There was no slavery at Gettysburg. I'm not saying that we shouldn't teach people about slavery, or that we shouldn't have a slavery museum, like we have a Holocaust museum. People need to be taught about the horrors of slavery...and of genocide...that's how it never happens again. But why Gettysburg? Can't they find a more appropriate spot? Like at the former slave markets in Charleston, or New Orleans. There are certainly better spots for a slavery museum than at Gettysburg.

You know, for the rank and file common soldier, it wasn't about slavery. It was about union or disunion. State's Rights vs Federal Authority. For most Southerners, it was about the invasion of their homeland. Only a very small percentage of southerners owned slaves...of course it was the slave owners who were in political power. So was Slavery the root cause of the Civil War? Sure, but not for the people actually doing the fighting and dying.

To me, Gettysburg is sacred ground. Let it tell it's own story. Tell the story of slavery in a more appropriate spot.
01-08-03 09:28 PM
Dan I love Ted Nugents music but I found that board to mainly be a waste a time. ANd file him under draft dodging chicken hawk.
01-09-03 02:09 AM
Pants Make the Man So that's how teenagers in South Dakota and Idaho get their kicks--frequenting the Ted Neugent board. Judging by the number of replies, the 'Fishing Forum' looks hugely popular. Man, can you say 'Deliverance'? Remember that little inbred redneck kid that was tearing it up on the banjo? Eeee-Haaaww!

01-09-03 03:24 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
jb wrote:
Nugent is a washed up NRA loser..the real threat is Macca who has all media outlets playing up how his tour was #1 and beat the Stones w/out mentioning that his tour started much earlier and the fact he has played about 15 more dates.
[Edited by jb]

HAHAHAHAHHA ooooohhhhhhh! I'm gonna get a fucking hernia, Macca is the real threat! To whom? Under age blondes with prostetics, chortle,chortle....
01-09-03 03:43 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
It's baloney JB.

Gettysburg is the highwater mark of the Confederacy. It was the beginning of the end. It was the first step toward freedom for most blacks in the south.

Why sugarcoat what happened at Gettysburg? I would think blacks would CELEBRATE Gettysburg. Look, a battlefield is for learning about what took place there. There was no slavery at Gettysburg. I'm not saying that we shouldn't teach people about slavery, or that we shouldn't have a slavery museum, like we have a Holocaust museum. People need to be taught about the horrors of slavery...and of genocide...that's how it never happens again. But why Gettysburg? Can't they find a more appropriate spot? Like at the former slave markets in Charleston, or New Orleans. There are certainly better spots for a slavery museum than at Gettysburg.

You know, for the rank and file common soldier, it wasn't about slavery. It was about union or disunion. State's Rights vs Federal Authority. For most Southerners, it was about the invasion of their homeland. Only a very small percentage of southerners owned slaves...of course it was the slave owners who were in political power. So was Slavery the root cause of the Civil War? Sure, but not for the people actually doing the fighting and dying.

To me, Gettysburg is sacred ground. Let it tell it's own story. Tell the story of slavery in a more appropriate spot.

Battlefields, like it or not, are the dog-eared pages of history, well thumbed if you know what I mean, and so they should be. Many a salient lesson lies beneath the turf, the bog. I had the pleasure of visiting Culloden Moor in Scotland recently, and I tell you truthfully, I felt something I could not explain. I have never been to Gettysburgh, but I can well imagine what it means to ALL AMERICANS, one way or another, and what those men fought, and died for should never ever be degraded whatsoever, regardless of what side they fought on, because everyone, victor or vanquished was in his own mind...CORRECT! Jagger himself once claimed in an interview; "if I'd been around during The French Revolution, I'd've probably been manning the barricades like everyone else." .....I couldn't agree more.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003