ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan - 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Kinks to reform with original line-up! Return to archive Page: 1 2
26th December 2007 09:46 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
one for the road is a great DVD!

mrhipfl,that tiger picture you have is a little disturbing in light of recent events here in San Francisco. But I agree One For The Road is indeed wonderful.
26th December 2007 09:47 PM
Gimme Shelter I hope a tour comes of this
26th December 2007 10:15 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Love the Kinks. Ray Davies is another near genius... I
don't think liking the Kinks {or Who or Animals or Petty
or Dylan, yada yada} makes one any less of a Stone's fan
at all.

Yes, yes, and yes, Sioux.
I love the Kinks.
26th December 2007 10:27 PM
pdog
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:

mrhipfl,that tiger picture you have is a little disturbing in light of recent events here in San Francisco. But I agree One For The Road is indeed wonderful.

It is just a weird and disrurbing event... I'm very curious as to what went down, it makes no sense a tiger got out on its own...
26th December 2007 10:33 PM
robpop Robo will attend at least one show. I'm starting my new years resolution early; which is to refer to myself in the third person.
26th December 2007 10:40 PM
PartyDoll MEG Always liked the Kinks..

And I really do like Tigers..

no way that Tiger got out on its own. I'm with you P, more to it than we have been told.
26th December 2007 10:41 PM
pdog
quote:
robpop wrote:
Robo will attend at least one show. I'm starting my new years resolution early; which is to refer to myself in the third person.

pdog likes that idea.
pdog loves lamp!

26th December 2007 10:44 PM
pdog
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Always liked the Kinks..

And I really do like Tigers..

no way that Tiger got out on its own. I'm with you P, more to it than we have been told.

I know these tigers, We're zoo members. I remember when the young ones were born. This one was only 4 years old. If this Tiger jumped out, this is some kind of tiger world record. I don't even think there was enough room to get up a good running speed, and the jump would've been huge, not to mention, the tiger would've wanted to do this, and I've never heard of that happening before.
26th December 2007 10:45 PM
SweetVirginia "Spokeswoman Lora LaMarca added that zoo officials could not comment on how the Siberian tiger managed to get out of its habitat -- a grotto surrounded by a moat and high wall -- and attack the three visitors at around closing time on Tuesday."

I think that's PR person talk for "uh-oh...someone on our staff left the cage door open"
[Edited by SweetVirginia]
26th December 2007 10:50 PM
Throwaway Given the Davies' bros recent output, I can tell that a new tour and new material would go over great.
26th December 2007 10:55 PM
robpop
quote:
pdog wrote:

pdog likes that idea.
pdog loves lamp!

Pop wishes you and your family a great new year. Robo thinks this will be a great year. Robo had to take Robo's grandmother to church on Christmas eve. Robo had two bowls of sauerkraut soup (a traditional dish in Pop's family on Christmas eve)....well it kicked in during the serive. I had to make an early exit. Then Robo thought about the no Merry Christmas in Baghdad song, and then robpop realized things could be a lot worse.

26th December 2007 11:00 PM
mojoman f'in awesome!!!
27th December 2007 01:15 AM
Sioux
quote:
pdog wrote:

Sioux, let's be clear... These guys who say we aren't Stones fans, are basically saying they don't like rock and roll. I don't like a show like American Idol, even though millions do, does this mean I don't like TV? Does it mean most people enjoy watching crap float? Anyway, my point is this. if you don't like a band fine, if you don't like rock and roll, and only like The Stones, then you're only posturing and primping, and have no clue to what is really the heart of the matter. Sex and drugs... Getting fucked and fucked up, that's rock and roll. To be honest, I'm pretty much sickened that people like you and I are forced to deal with these rock and roll hating morons.

Well, to me, all this "other groups besides the Rolling
Stones" bashing just shows a distinct level of immaturity
that we deal with in life {and here on this board}. And a
very narrow idea of what rock and roll is. It doesn't
really make me mad, but it does profusely confuse me. As I
said before in another post here {somewhere!}...imagine if
the early Stones had limited themselves to only ONE artist
to admire/emulate/be influenced by. They would have thought
that was a crazy idea, if someone had suggested it {or
implied that they couldn't REALLY be a fan if they chose
to listen to and like another artist's work besides the
one artist they had chosen to pattern themselves after}....

It's just a rather sad, one dimensional way to live and
enjoy music. There are a LOT of great bands/artists out
there, if you just keep an eye and 2 ears open...
27th December 2007 02:27 AM
pdog
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Well, to me, all this "other groups besides the Rolling
Stones" bashing just shows a distinct level of immaturity
that we deal with in life {and here on this board}. And a
very narrow idea of what rock and roll is. It doesn't
really make me mad, but it does profusely confuse me. As I
said before in another post here {somewhere!}...imagine if
the early Stones had limited themselves to only ONE artist
to admire/emulate/be influenced by. They would have thought
that was a crazy idea, if someone had suggested it {or
implied that they couldn't REALLY be a fan if they chose
to listen to and like another artist's work besides the
one artist they had chosen to pattern themselves after}....

It's just a rather sad, one dimensional way to live and
enjoy music. There are a LOT of great bands/artists out
there, if you just keep an eye and 2 ears open...

I kinda get the feeling they just like being near the cool kids too... Even though we scare them, drink their booze, do all the drugs and then try to have sex with everyone!!!
27th December 2007 03:24 AM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
This would be worse than a LZ reunion tour....The Kinks???? Where are they going to play, local high schools? This reunion crap these days has gotten way out of hand. Anyone who is pleased with the reformation of The Kinks must not be much of a Stones fan....The fucking Kinks????

I can't wait to see the excitement when the Dave Clark 5 get back together.....give me a break.

Pug...I agree w/ your opinion...but not w/ your sentiment...does anyone really care about a Kins reunion...I mean reallycare...I mean this says say it all:

quote:
Any reunion is likely to coincide with next year's release of a Kinks CD box set called Retrospective.

At least the Stones Continue to play before AND after (admittedly, to the dismay of some), they do a box set/collection-40 Licks...Hell...I look fwd to 50 Licks...at least there is stuff to ADD to it...

For those of you keeping score...I have seen The Kinks twice...in 1980 and in 1982...I am 80% sure they were great both times.
27th December 2007 07:22 AM
Blowey I'm so excited about this I'm typing with my nipples!

<---- Pete Townshend said he should be the poet laureate of England!

That's right Lil' Buddy (Lil' Puggy)!
Bombay Safire Martini's are on me at the Brazen Head tonight!

J.R. Blowing - Dalls, TX

27th December 2007 10:47 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

Pug...I agree w/ your opinion...but not w/ your sentiment...does anyone really care about a Kins reunion...I mean reallycare...I mean this says say it all:

At least the Stones Continue to play before AND after (admittedly, to the dismay of some), they do a box set/collection-40 Licks...Hell...I look fwd to 50 Licks...at least there is stuff to ADD to it...

For those of you keeping score...I have seen The Kinks twice...in 1980 and in 1982...I am 80% sure they were great both times.

you have PM
27th December 2007 10:51 AM
Blowey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

you have PM

YES!!!!!!!!!

27th December 2007 11:39 AM
polytoxic
quote:
pdog wrote:

Sioux, let's be clear... These guys who say we aren't Stones fans, are basically saying they don't like rock and roll. I don't like a show like American Idol, even though millions do, does this mean I don't like TV? Does it mean most people enjoy watching crap float? Anyway, my point is this. if you don't like a band fine, if you don't like rock and roll, and only like The Stones, then you're only posturing and primping, and have no clue to what is really the heart of the matter. Sex and drugs... Getting fucked and fucked up, that's rock and roll. To be honest, I'm pretty much sickened that people like you and I are forced to deal with these rock and roll hating morons.

Indeed. The way i see it: as a rock'n'roll fan, I'm inevitably a Rolling Stones fan, because the Rolling Stones are the top rock n roll band. In fact, I always figured the reverse would be true as well but sadly it isn't. I used to take Stones fandom as some sort of litmus test that people really have their hearts in rock n roll. Because to me it would seem that it takes an understanding of what rock n roll is all about to understand why the Stones rule the roost. That, to me, is the beauty of the Stones fan. You can just as easily compare notes on Howlin Wolf, Chuck Berry, George Clinton, James Brown, Fats Domino, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Sonics, The MC5, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers, The Ramones, and everything else since then (this is where I date myself) of fucking taste and quality cos Stones fans would get that it's part of the continuum. Has Keith Richards taught us nothing? Have you not read the liner notes and writing credits and interviews and followed the clues and connected the dots. It's all there. To be a Stones fan IS to be a rock n roll fan. Anything less is ignorant or worse, consciously superficial and status-conscious- which is about as un-rock n roll as it gets.

so kids, to recap:

this is rock n roll:

this is not rock n roll

this is rock n roll:

this is not rock n roll:

this is rock n roll:

this may seem edgy you say but is, in fact, not rock n roll:

[Edited by polytoxic]
[Edited by polytoxic]
27th December 2007 12:18 PM
Martha
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
This would be worse than a LZ reunion tour....The Kinks???? Where are they going to play, local high schools? This reunion crap these days has gotten way out of hand. Anyone who is pleased with the reformation of The Kinks must not be much of a Stones fan....The fucking Kinks????

I can't wait to see the excitement when the Dave Clark 5 get back together.....give me a break.

???? Ray Davies is an incredible songwriter and singer. Where have you been?
27th December 2007 01:27 PM
Water Dragon ???? Ray Davies is an incredible songwriter and singer. Where have you been?

Exacto Mundo, Ms. Martha - Rock on and have a very happy New Year!
27th December 2007 02:12 PM
Blowey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

27th December 2007 02:24 PM
Martha
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
???? Ray Davies is an incredible songwriter and singer. Where have you been?

Exacto Mundo, Ms. Martha - Rock on and have a very happy New Year!

Thank you WD and the same to you!

xxoo,
MM
27th December 2007 02:41 PM
guitarman53 I love The Kinks, Jagger said in a Rollin' Stone Interview, that it was just the Stones & Ray Davies writing songs about social concerns at the time, I would also say Townshend too, but Ray Davies is a great songwriter, those people who knock them (Kinks) probably weren't even born in the 60's, The Kinks are one of the great bands in the English invasion, "All Day & All of the Night" is one of the great riffs in Rock 'N' Roll, that was really advanced at the time, then later on, Dedicated Follower of Fashion, Well Respected Man, Sunny Afternoon, Waterloo Sunset, Autumn Almanac, I could go on & on.
I saw the Kinks in 1971, Ray Davies was drunk as a skunk, Mick Avory too, Ray got everyone to sing, you are my sunshine, Avory was passed out on the drums, & someone grabbed his hair & lifted him up sitting on the drum stool, but they were great, still put on quite a show.
27th December 2007 02:55 PM
Martha I got to see The Kinks in Cincy sometime around 1977-78-79. I cannot recall the year, but I remember being thrilled to see them. I can't remember the show that well, hey it was a loooooong long time ago amigos. Then Ray came to Denver and played the Paramount Theater last August. We got tickets at the door the night of the gig (dead center row 15). He put on a STUNNING rock and roll show. I was enthralled and am now a devotee.

Earlier that afternoon as I was out cleaning the fence line of weeds to appease the Weed Cops who had left a warning notice on our door, I had a sudden premonition which stopped me from what I was doing. I got a msg., from where ever this comes from (this is similar to what happened that got me to NYC for the Stones Summit of my life) that I was going to MEET Ray that night. So....I stopped what I was doing and went inside to put his newest CD and a sharpie in my bag (where I keep my binoculars) to take along to the gig that night.

The premonition came to pass. Ray came out the back of the Paramount about 20 minutes or so after his gig and signed for a few fans. I touched (very gently) his arm as he stood beside me. Only 1,000 or so came to the show and that place holds maybe 2,000.

We are not very educated when it comes to rock n roll music...no one knows who he is! What a shame. He's truly a gem of our time. Keep rockin' Ray!

"For Chrissakes have a cuppa tea"

xxoo,
Martha

27th December 2007 04:15 PM
glencar
quote:
pdog wrote:

It is just a weird and disrurbing event... I'm very curious as to what went down, it makes no sense a tiger got out on its own...

Clearly, some inner city reprobates teased the tiger & she was having NONE of that. Especially on Christmas!
27th December 2007 04:18 PM
glencar As for the Kinks, it's probably straight to Vegas for them & if so, I'm there!
27th December 2007 10:08 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Blowey wrote:

Uhm...Blowey...is that what they call a RECTAL FUNNEL???
27th December 2007 10:32 PM
Lethargy I kind of like the Kinks, but admittedly am not a huge fan. Didn't even realize that recent tours weren't the original lineup. Just ignorantly assumed it was the same four guys all along.

One of the more surreal shows I've seen in my life was the aforementioned Kinks, in a small club in Charlotte NC in the mid 1990s. Mind you, they weren't playing the club gig as a special treat - it was all they could fill at the time! It was kind of cool but also kind of sad, b/c none of the tards in that crowd knew any morew than their 5 top songs (and I only knew 10 or so).

Anyway, I'm tempted to revisit this band's archives and see what's up.
28th December 2007 07:46 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
glencar wrote:
Clearly, some inner city reprobates teased the tiger & she was having NONE of that. Especially on Christmas!

Yeah that was one pissed off Tiger. She hunted these guys down once she got out.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)