ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Second Leg!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: For Who fans.. Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 28th, 2005 12:55 PM
Stones The Who To Tour In 2006
The Who's Roger Daltrey & Pete Townshend
December 28, 2005, 11:00 AM ET

Jason MacNeil, Toronto & Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.
With speculation rampant that the Who will return to the stage in 2006, the band's driving creative force took to his Web site to address the rumors. Under a Christmas Eve online diary post titled "I will go on tour...," Pete Townshend confirms the band will hit the road come summer in support of new material.

Although no dates are yet confirmed, Townshend's note reveals that the tour will launch following "a very, very cool" surprise announcement in June and that all of the shows may be viewable online.

"I have high hopes for the whole tour to be shared to a wide audience at home in a mixture of pay-per-view and free special Web casts," he writes. "Some of the proceeds will go to charity, of course."

Townshend had originally hoped to release the first Who studio album since 1982's "It's Hard" this year, but in March relayed news that it had fallen behind schedule due to the studio process and other projects. No new album and drummer Zak Starkey's commitment to touring with Oasis scotched thoughts of a tour in 2005.

"I have said many times... that I am reticent about committing to a tour without a completed new Who album under my belt," Townshend says. "As things stand I am still pushing to produce some more songs. So the announcement [of a 2006 tour] may seem premature. It is not."

While a traditional album is not expected, Townshend says new music will emerge, although it is unknown if it will be in a physical or digital format. "No, it is not an 'EP,'" he says. "It is a truly inspired idea."

"Who manager Bill Curbishley has come up with a great scheme," he says. "What his brilliant idea means is that if I don't have a full 30 tracks ready to go, we can settle on what I do have. So I can commit."

With his London office closed for the holiday season, Curbishley was unreachable by deadline for comment about the release of the new music or tour plans.

Townshend denies rumors that his girlfriend and sometime collaborator, Rachel Fuller, will open shows, instead suggesting that his brother Simon Townshend's band, Casbah Club, would be a better fit. "Who fans would love them."

Of his own new music, Townshend says, "I certainly don't give a flying f*** whether anything I write is a hit, or will get played on my beloved rock radio, or sell a million."

"What I care about is that Roger Daltrey feels comfortable with the songs I write so he can sing a few of them on stage -- while I lunge around looking gorgeous and playing show-off guitar like a kid in a music shop," he says. "After 45 years of this crap I've just started to enjoy it."

December 28th, 2005 12:58 PM
Jumping Jack I am sure this will tie into the Who movie due in the fall and Mike Myers Moon movie as well.

Pete is no poser. Get ready to rock!!!!
December 28th, 2005 01:23 PM
Gimme Shelter I can't wait!!!
December 28th, 2005 01:31 PM
lotsajizz Indeed, this is excellent news...Pete is playing better than ever!
December 28th, 2005 02:04 PM
gimmekeef Is this a comeback or another farewell tour?....
December 28th, 2005 02:21 PM
Jumping Jack Coming back to say farewell and milk the cow one more time. Still better than Bonehead.
December 28th, 2005 02:52 PM
gimmekeef If I have any money left after Atlanta II.... I'll likely give em a go....Always loved these guys....but no Keith Moon and Ox doesnt make it the Who.....
December 28th, 2005 03:52 PM
Jumping Jack Who2 and Pete is worth the price of admission.
December 28th, 2005 04:40 PM
GimmeExile The Who with just Pete and Roger is better than they were the last couple of tours with John. I know that is a blasphemous statement, but it's true. Compare bootlegs from 2002 to 2000.
December 29th, 2005 12:55 PM
Joey Pete Townshend currently is the greatest live lead guitarist on the planet and to see / hear him play guitar is worth the price of the ticket alone . Word .

On another note , I just got back from seeing the Grand Canyon . We went all the way down to the bottom and once there -- so overwhelmed by the experience -- I decided to take a dump . I then went back up to the top and drank four Heinekens in one of the Lodge Bars . Word .

Jacky !
December 29th, 2005 12:58 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
Pete Townshend currently is the greatest live lead guitarist on the planet and to see / hear him play guitar is worth the price of the ticket alone . Word .

On another note , I just got back from seeing the Grand Canyon . We went all the way down to the bottom and once there -- so overwhelmed by the experience -- I decided to take a dump . I then went back up to the top and drank four Heinekens in one of the Lodge Bars . Word .

Jacky !

You're on vacation!!!!!!!!!!!
December 29th, 2005 01:08 PM
Jumping Jack Joey, Joshy owes you royalties on your material. His is drier than ... well, you know.

Pete starting into I Can't Explain is the ultimate test of bladder control! Watch your beer intake rock fans!!! Word.
December 29th, 2005 01:21 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
Pete Townshend currently is the greatest live lead guitarist on the planet and to see / hear him play guitar is worth the price of the ticket alone . Word .

Jacky !

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051229/SPORTS06/512290550/1048/SPORTS
December 29th, 2005 06:52 PM
Soldatti I heard that they will be coming here, I can't wait.
December 29th, 2005 07:07 PM
glencar I'm so excited by this news I'm typing...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
December 29th, 2005 08:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Indeed, this is excellent news...Pete is playing better than ever!

Indeed. Townshend was out of this world when I saw them 18 months ago, and Daltrey was in better voice than he has been in many years

I'd love to see them again, but they REALLY do need to inject some freshness into their setlists, either with good new material or unearthing older stuff that they havent played to death
December 29th, 2005 08:26 PM
Joey

"Indeed. Townshend was out of this world when I saw them 18 months ago, and Daltrey was in better voice than he has been in many years"

I would like to nuzzle you .

Jacky
December 29th, 2005 08:38 PM
glencar But will it play in Omaha?
January 1st, 2006 02:17 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
But will it play in Omaha?

W- W- W- What ?!?!

www.omahameca.com

Happy Nude Year Everyone ......

Jacky !
January 1st, 2006 02:59 PM
Child of the Moon I read this news not too long ago on Pete's website. I love reading his diary posts - many of them are extremely sarcastic and knees-up funny. Pete will always be a hero of mine, and I hope to catch Who2 (or whatever they call themselves in their new Everly Brothers format) this year.
January 1st, 2006 03:29 PM
glencar I ahve changed my mind. I will see this new Who2 thing this upcoming year.
January 1st, 2006 04:10 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I ahve (sic)changed my mind. I will see this new Who2 thing this upcoming year.

Blue ...................................

You are much loved .

J. Fly !!!!
January 1st, 2006 04:38 PM
Jumping Jack Joey,

Disk 3 is done and 4 is coming along nicely I'm told. So 2 more may be available soon for you to nuzzle over the cold winter months.

The best Who ever!!!
January 1st, 2006 04:58 PM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

Blue ...................................

You are much loved .

J. Fly !!!!

Happy Nude Year, Joey!
January 1st, 2006 11:54 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Joey,

Disk 3 is done and 4 is coming along nicely I'm told. So 2 more may be available soon for you to nuzzle over the cold winter months.

The best Who ever!!!

I would like to caress your kneecaps .
January 1st, 2006 11:55 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:

Happy Nude Year, Joey!

See you in January Blue .

The Kins
January 2nd, 2006 02:26 AM
highwire Gotta check out Who2. I saw Who2 in 02. Loud and Proud. Best show I've seen other than a Stones show. Pino and Zach round out the Who2 nice and Rabbit too. Lot of male bonding in the stands, high fives, fist pumping, beers raised although I'm sure you guys have been there.Girlfriend said she thought she was surrounded by baboons and that's being nice.
Who doesn't attract as many chicks as Stones. I don't think she wants to go next time. She loves the Stones though.
January 2nd, 2006 03:43 AM
IanBillen [quote]lotsajizz wrote:
Indeed, this is excellent news...Pete is playing better than ever!

Seen The Who in 1989. Although I adore The Who and as they are my second favorite group I can't understand the statement of Pete playing better than ever???

Are you serious? Because the 1989 show was a great show. But Pete was already starting to wear back then. His ear was not certainly not up to snuff at all and now the dude's hearing is poor for a guy his age I have gotten the impression. He played well for what he had to work with and sounded really good but physically he was starting to go.

I cannot see how he would be [;aying better than ever at this late stage.

-Below, is an honest opinion and I LOVE The Who but I am being honest here-

* The Who's work ethic as a group is a joke since 1982. All nostalgia tours and no new stuff. For over twenty friggin years now. The Who have long been a nastalgia act and they have got to the point that nobody takes their studio outlook, or the band themselves at times, seriously because of their non-existant studio stuff the past THREE decades (OK one album in the early 80's).
And that was just a fair album really. Pete's creativity just is not there.
He even comments about not having enough material possibly but would be OK due to the manager and production techniques.

Everyone here used to talk about Keith Richards iand his supposed inability to write anymore.

.....I think you were targeting the wrong guy.

Ian
January 2nd, 2006 05:13 AM
highwire I think though you have to consider they did officially retire in 1982. They packed it in with the live simulcast show from Maple Leaf Gardens here in Toronto. I was lucky enough to be at it and they made a point of saying goodbye.

I think everything since and prior to the 2002 tour can be characterized as popping briefly out of retirement for whatever reason with no pretentions of making anything new, however with 2002 tour they seemed to be signalling they were back and planned on sticking around for a while and actually ready to record new material although we are still waiting but for the two songs on Then And Now 2004.
I think the Live In Boston 2002 Dvd is great. They mean business. Its way better than the Tommny/Quad 89/96 live show set thats just been released even without OX.
[Edited by highwire]
January 2nd, 2006 05:47 AM
Jumping Jack Tommy 89/Quad 96 were both overblown productions. The shows in the 2000s with and without John were very good. Daltrey's voice has not held up quite as well as Mick's, but still gets the job done. Pete still rocks. Check out the 7/27/02 Camden DVD if you need proof!!! Pete remains closer to his 70s skill level than any other guitarist of the period.

Pity has has lost his interest in writing or need to be so terribly philosophical and full of deep meaning and insight. There is no doubt in my mind he could write some excellent no brainer rock and roll these days if so motivated. It doesn't have to be another Tommy or Quadronphenia, and Lifehouse never needs to be finished. How about just a few simple kick ass rockers for the fun of it? Yes Pete, the music can be fun. Grow up and get over your childhood.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)