ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks TT!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I'm a fresh stone fan and would like some advice Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-27-02 11:06 PM
AgentMomo Hi My name is Justin and I'm 13 and i'm really big into music from the 60's/early 70's and the grunge era and this morning i woke up noticing that i was not into the stones!!! Today I bought my first stones album ever and it happens to be "12x5" i just finished listening to it and i enjoyed it and now I WANT MORE. I'm looking forward to picking up "After Math" and "40 Licks" and i wanted to know if anybody has more suggestions
12-27-02 11:08 PM
Soul Survivor pick up 40 licks, then aftermath if you want

But MAKE SURE YOU GET THESE: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Your Ya Ya's Out, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street.

Then get SOME GIRLS, and TATTOO YOU

Then your on your own
[Edited by Soul Survivor]
12-27-02 11:46 PM
monkeyman STICKY FINGERS IT�S BEST OF SEX!!!!!, WELL, BOTH MAKE ME HAPPY.
LUCAS FROM ARGENTINA.
12-28-02 12:30 AM
Fiji Joe All the above are good...but I can remember when I was about the same age and how "Hot Rocks" got me hooked...it's a great place to start and don't look back
12-28-02 04:20 AM
souldoggie You just bought 12 X 5? That's just fantastic. Now keep playing 2120 S. Michagan Ave. over and over again. And loud.
12-28-02 10:31 AM
AgentMomo yep 12x5 my first stoner album

now is there any stone albums i sould say away from? cause i was told at one point stones went disco lol

And I got a question who was the bandmate that died in a swimming pool and what did he play?
[Edited by AgentMomo]
12-28-02 11:03 AM
Soul Survivor Brian Jones. He played guitar
12-28-02 11:26 AM
tumblingdice The Stones never went totally disco. They did a few songs in the disco vein but even those few are good. Plus the albums they are on rock on the other songs. I would only stay away from Satanic Majesties Request until you are old enough to appreciate it!! Or Old enough to drink to it. It has some good songs also but most people dislike the rest of it.
12-28-02 11:28 AM
Soul Survivor The songs that you could say are in "Disco Vein" are:

Hot Stuff
Miss You
Dance
Emotional Rescue

Not that many, and those are all good songs
12-28-02 11:29 AM
Moonisup pick up Dirty work also

rough songs

12-28-02 11:42 AM
AgentMomo Well I Know next Stones cds I want to get is sticky fingers and 40 licks which i think i might be going to wal mart today and they sould have both of theses
12-28-02 11:44 AM
Soul Survivor
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
pick up Dirty work also

rough songs

Yeah, their rough! Rough to listen to!
12-28-02 12:50 PM
AgentMomo
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:

Yeah, their rough! Rough to listen to!

rougher than a unkept vinyl?
12-28-02 12:54 PM
Soul Survivor i meant the songs suck
12-28-02 01:12 PM
egon agentmomo(?),
take all the advice that people are giving you here,
BUT!
never, ever buy dirty work.
when 'they' speak about it, run!
when you see it in the store, don't touch!
when you can buy it second hand for one dollar, spend that one dollar on beer!
think of dirty work as a new kids on the block album;
you would never buy a nkotb album, would you?
and just remeber, harlem shuffle is on "jump back" as well.
12-28-02 01:16 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
egon wrote:
agentmomo(?),
BUT!

I wouldnt say to never buy it, but it wont leave a good impression on you if it's one of the first albums you buy. Stay away from it until your familiar with more of their stff
12-28-02 01:20 PM
egon RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12-28-02 01:51 PM
TT Agentmomo,

here�s some advice from Agentstereo;-)

buy or steal STILL LIFE. Though it�s overdubbed a lot (it doesn�t matter if you are a Stones starter) and get an impression of what the last true Rock�n�Roll tour sounded. Listen to it and you know what the Stones are/were about as a live band.

My Stoneslife began at the age of 14 with the single off of this album: Goin�to a Gogo. It was a coversong, but after buing the album I went nuts, bought all livealbums first and the Exile, Sticky, Some Girls etc.

You�ve chosen the right band.
12-28-02 06:32 PM
AgentMomo Ok now i need someone here to fil in me on the names of present and fromer band mates and there role so I don't seem like a rookie at this ROFL

ones i know are:

Mick Jagger "Vocal" (NO SHIT)
Keith Richards "???"
Brain Jones "Former Guitar MAN"
[Edited by AgentMomo]
12-28-02 07:38 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
AgentMomo wrote:
Ok now i need someone here to fil in me on the names of present and fromer band mates and there role so I don't seem like a rookie at this ROFL

Well, you do seem like a rookie, because you are one, but that's a compliment. You're never too young to start loving the Stones. If you want some basics, here we go:

Sir Mick 'Rubber Lips' Jagger - vocals, spasms and greediness
Keith Richards (aka DA MASTER/Keef) - guitars, cigarettes and (backgound)vocals
Ronnie 'Der verruckter Mahler' Wood - guitars and paint(he joined the band around 1975)
Charlie 'Boom Boom' Watts - drums
Mick 'Can't you hear me knocking' Taylor - guitars (was in the band 1969-1975 approx.)
Brian 'Speed' Jones - loads of instruments (founding father of the Stones in 1962, died in the pool in 1969)
Bill 'Whining' Wyman (aka William Perks) - bass (left the Stones in 1993)
Darryl 'Hmm' Jones - bass (replaced Bill)
Bobby 'Brown Sugar' Keys - sax
Lisa 'Female hmm' Fisher - background vocals
Bernard 'Yummy' Fowler - background vocals
Chuck 'Iew' Leavell - keyboard

Ian 'Sweet' Stewart - the 'Sixth Stone', died in '85(?)

That's the basics, for the whole story, buy a book or search the net.

AND BTW: DIRTY WORK IS A GREAT ALBUM!!! Ain't nothing as subjective as taste I guess.
Welcome to the club and good luck.
[Edited by Angiegirl]
12-29-02 12:51 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Arrright! Young Stones Fans unite!

You can't go wrong with the Stones.

Wellllll, yeah, you can. Dirty Work was the album they made in the 80s, during a lot of infighting with each other. The overall 'sound' is raw, but there's a lot of 80s production and sound that mires the few good songs. So don't pick it up unless you've got all the others first!

Obviously, start yerself out with Let It Bleed or Exile On Main Street (it'll take awhile to get into Exile, but it's a very very *very* good album), then go for Sticky Fingers, Beggar's Banquet, and Some Girls, in no particular order. They're all fantastic albums.

Forty Licks'll give you a good idea of how their sound has kind of matured over the years - it's not in chronological order, though, so figuring that out might be a pain.

As for the members today, the four 'principle' members of the Stones (the ones that get called "The Rolling Stones") are:

Mick Jagger - Lead Vocals, Harmonica ("harp"), very rarely guitar

Keith Richards - Lead (occasionally) & Backing Vocals, Lead & Rhythm Guitars, very rarely bass (and never live)

Charlie Watts - Drums (He's very quiet. He also tends to get the most amount of applause.)

Ronnie Wood - Lead & Rhythm Guitars, backing vocals (rarely these days), bass (although never live)

They started up in 1962, with the following lineup

Mick Jagger (same as above, sans guitar)
Keith Richards (sans lead vocal)
Charlie Watts
Brian Jones - Lead Guitar and just about everything else. He was a crazy kinda guy - very blues oriented - he could pick up instruments very quickly. His drug problems worsened throughout the sixties, though - and after the band fired him, he was found dead in his swimming pool in 1969.
Bill Wyman - Bass, occasional backing vocal (they cut him out of those around '67-'68). He was older than they were, but a very good bass player. Easily adapted to new stuff. He left the band in 1992.
Ian Stuart - Piano - Called "Stu", Ian Stuart was fired from the official lineup very early on because he didn't "Look like a Stone" according to their manager, the crazy Andrew Loog Oldham. He stuck around with them, though, becoming their road manager and good buddy, although he died in 1985 of a heart attack.

After they fired Brian Jones, they hired this guy:

Mick Taylor - Lead Guitar, bass (never live), occasional backing vocal. Mick T. (called "Taylor") was a great lead guitar player, probably the best of the three the Stones have had. But he didn't quite socially fit in. He was 6' 3" and had hair (and makeup) that made him look very much like an out-of-place girl onstage. Although he did co-write a few songs with Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, they never gave him credit for it and eventually in December of 1974, he quit the band in disgust. There are still a few people around who think he should come back - Ronnie Wood however has cleaned up his act since the last few tours and is actually *playing*, making up for his past drinking-and-cocaine related inadequacies. It was a big topic of debate around here before this tour started - if Ronnie Wood didn't get his act together, would they call back Mick Taylor? Well, Ronnie did, they didn't, and that's that.

So that's a brief shakedown of who's officially been called a Rolling Stone.

If ya've got any more questions, everyone on the board's very receptive and they'll answer just about anything. Except maybe what Keith Richards's underwear size is. I don't think anyone here knows that except Joey.

Good to see the even younger guys getting into the Stones!

Damn... 13... now I feel old.

And like a late bloomer... I didn't find 'em until I was 15. Two years ago.

Enjoy those Stones! They're grrrrreat! (Like Frosted Flakes. Only better. And worse for you.)

-tSYX --- Well a young man, ain't got nuthin' in the world these days...
12-29-02 05:41 PM
rocker theres no shame in doing disco if its done well and the stones did it as well as anybody. aint nuthin like gettin a nasty funk groove going with charlie boy laying four on the floor. favorite stones disco is "hot stuff"
12-29-02 09:25 PM
AgentMomo heeeeey everybody just got back from wal mart and i picked up 40 licks and sticky fingers, 40 licks is at #12 at wal marts top sellers wall
12-29-02 09:54 PM
Soul Survivor cool, how do you like STICKY FINGERS? The whole album is the fuckin best. I was about to name the best songs on it, and when I was done, I had named them all. Now pick up the album "Let It Bleed"
12-29-02 09:57 PM
Fiji Joe egon wrote:

agentmomo(?),
BUT!

Yes, I agree, run Momo!...run like the wind...you know that thing that lives under your bed?...that causes you to make a 3 foot leap into your bed before you go to sleep?...well that thing under your bed is called Dirty Work and you have good reason to fear it...
12-29-02 10:09 PM
Soul Survivor Dirty Work has 1 good song
12-29-02 10:10 PM
Soul Survivor One
12-29-02 10:11 PM
Soul Survivor Hit
12-29-02 10:12 PM
Soul Survivor To
12-29-02 10:14 PM
Soul Survivor The
Page: 1 2