ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations Mrs. and Mr. Von Kinky Kink Kinko Kinkily!
The new Maxlette is here! b. January 1st, 2003 11:21 A.M. EST

Art by Drew Friedman spoiled by a dirty voodoo boy working for the company!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Wilson and the Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-23-02 05:05 PM
sasca Has anyone investigated this relationship? Brian didn�t
fear the Stones as he did the Beatles and Spector but then the Stones music was far less similiar to his than theirs was and therefore less of a direct threat. I�ve seen several interviews in which he pays tribute to the Stones.
12-23-02 09:05 PM
gypsy Carnie's been looking pretty hot lately. But, still not as hot as Chynna.
12-23-02 09:07 PM
full moon I always hated The Beach Boys.. Their music is so dated and "pop"..It makes me ill....
12-24-02 12:26 PM
Street Fighting Man The Beach Boys personify "California Dreamin" - something one can truly understand & internalize as a surfer!
12-25-02 12:41 PM
sasca Brian Wilson doesn�t understand the Beach Boys?
12-25-02 01:59 PM
gypsy Huh?

*blank stare*
12-25-02 02:09 PM
sasca
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Huh?

*blank stare*

Since Brian Wilson was not a surfer. Only Dennis Wilson surfed much.
12-25-02 02:27 PM
gypsy Yeah, but he compensated by having a sand pit put underneath his piano.
12-25-02 05:24 PM
beer Dennis Wilson and Brian Jones had similar swimming styles.
12-25-02 05:41 PM
nankerphelge That's beautiful man!
12-25-02 07:50 PM
gypsy Beer, that was good! Let's hope Miss U doesn't read it...
12-26-02 12:58 AM
Pants Make the Man The Ruttles had their vocal harmonies together, but Brian Wilson was THE master at putting harmonies in place: top, bottom, counterpoint. And, sure, Brian was an acid casualty, a precursor to Nick Nolte, but "Good Vibrations" is unmatched by anything (talking singles here) the Ruttles ever did--including "Hey, Jules!"
Maybe he didn't feel threatened by The Rolling Stones, but from my vantage point, The Stones eclipsed The Beach Boys a long time ago (as a matter of fact, The Stones topped the bill, over the Beach Boys, on The T.A.M.I. Show, way back in '64, I think it was).
[Edited by Pants Make the Man]
12-26-02 08:34 AM
Honky Tonker I read somewhere that Brian attended some Stones sessions in the mid-60's. Not sure if that's true or not. Brian Wilson is a great musician who is not such a great person. Kinda like another Brian.
12-26-02 08:54 AM
Maxlugar It has been my experience that most Brian's are weak losers.

I don't know what it is.

Maxy!
12-26-02 09:15 AM
gypsy So true, Maxy. I just thought about all the Brians I know...and, yep, they're all pathetic losers.
12-26-02 01:45 PM
doo doo doo Dude I remember reading somewhere that the Stones session that Brian Wilson attended was for "My Obsession" in 1966 and I guess it totally freaked him out. It was when he was working on "Good Vibrations" and he was taking way too much acid and starting to go off the deep end. I guess he obsessed on that record all summer (along with Phil Spector records and Rubber Soul) so the Stones did play a part in his mental undoing. Yay!

The other connection was "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" which is one of the Stones oddest tracks because they are trying to sound like the Beach Boys which of course they weren't (and thank God for that!).

That said, as far as pop records go, Pet Sounds has always been at the top. But the Stones, they ain't.
12-26-02 01:53 PM
sasca 'Let's Spend the Night Together' is very Beach Boys-y. 'Pet Sounds' is a puzzle to me - I love much of the Beach Boys' work but I've never been able to get into it. Every now and then I put it on, hoping that its beauties will be revealed to me but, apart from a couple of tracks, they aren't.
''Til I Die', on the other hand, astonishes me every time.
Did anyone see Brian at the British Queen's jubilee concert? I couldn't care less about the jubilee, but he was wonderful. A bit shattered but enjoying himself and singing beautifully. I was in tears.
[Edited by sasca]
12-26-02 03:37 PM
telecaster
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
It has been my experience that most Brian's are weak losers.

I don't know what it is.

Maxy!

On the other side, I have never met an ugly girl named Heather. Amazing. All hotties

Did you ever hear The Stones do "I Get Around" by The Beach Boys. Weird
12-26-02 03:42 PM
Maxlugar That's another thing.

All Brian's I know are weak losers who are incredible ugly.

What is with that?

Yeah I have not seen an ugly Heather. Or an ugly Savannah. Or Bambi. Or Jenna.

Damn!
12-26-02 03:45 PM
sasca Brian Jones
Brian Wilson
Bryan Ferry
Brian Eno

Fall to your knees and give thanks that they have walked the earth on which you walk. Fall!
12-26-02 05:40 PM
Cant Catch Me I always had something against the Beach Boys because they stood for all sorts of things that never appealed to me. That was only confirmed in '84 I think when there was some controversy about them playing in Washington, DC, on July 4, when they became associated with the Reagan administration and The Establishment.

But several years ago my daughter, then 5 or 6, discovered them and we got several of their CDs, then several more, and listening to them forced me to change my mind. Musicially, they're amazingly beauty, though it's certainly not heavy duty rock n' roll. And I sure was glad my daughter was into the Beach Boys and not any of the truly awful bubblegum, teen groups that there perpetually seem to be too many of.
12-26-02 08:19 PM
stonedinaustralia i don't possess any of their music and have no desire to do so... i gues i just don't dig the vibe...

mike love is rock's proto-typical asshole (imo)

but still, after all the times that i have heard it, "god only knows" has not yet failed to move me...
12-26-02 08:42 PM
nankerphelge I never much got into them either. Only person I ever knew that was into them was the father of a girl I dated in college.

He also liked the Atlanta Braves, chewed, and drank canned beer like no other human I have ever experienced before or since. One Friday nite I showed up at his place before his daughter got home from work -- he was lit up like a bulb and he wanted to go out. He convinced me that it would be better to drive him around to the bars in town rather than wait for his daughter. Didn't take much convincing -- I drove him around in his Chrysler Cordoba with T Tops and we both got ripped. The whole way home he scanned the 3 radio stations that even made their way into that part of the world looking for the Beach Boys!! I appreciated his loyalty but for god's sake man, get a real band!

I still appreciate his loyalty.
12-26-02 09:18 PM
telecaster
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I never much got into them either. Only person I ever knew that was into them was the father of a girl I dated in college.

I drove him around in his Chrysler Cordoba with T Tops and we both got ripped. The whole way home he scanned the 3 radio stations that even made their way into that part of the world looking for the Beach Boys!! I appreciated his loyalty but for god's sake man, get a real band!

I still appreciate his loyalty.

Nanker: Did the Cordoba have "fine corinthian leather" as Mr. Roarke used to say in the commercials?
12-26-02 10:10 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I never much got into them either. Only person I ever knew that was into them was the father of a girl I dated in college.

OK - that's all I can stands, I can't stands no more! I have stayed out of this thread because my presence can only cause trouble, but I have had it!

What the fuck is wrong with you people?!? Not liking the Beach Boys is only slightly less mystifying to me than not liking Motown, because at one time I refused to like the Beach Boys as well. But then one day I realized that not liking the Beach Boys is like not liking chiba. "Oh, gee, this chiba makes me happy, it makes me feel good, and it makes me laugh. I hate that!"

The Beach Boys' vibe extends far beyond cars and girls and catching that wave, but their bizarre California fantasy landscape is fascinating and hilarious. Their story is as squalid and degenerate as rock and roll stories get. Brian and Mike Love have a codependent mutual love hate relationship that is on par with Mick and Keith's for sheer weirdness. And they have a vault worth on tunes and abandoned directions that rivals the Stones, Dylan's, Springsteen's, and Neil Young's for the title of most interesting unreleased catalog in rock.

There are several great Beach Boys' albums, including the glorious Pet Sounds, which is the best panacea for a hangover I know about. I should know, I used it twice today, because I Nolted so hard last night.

Other great Beach Boys albums include:

Beach Boys' Party!
Wild Honey
Sunflower
and about half of Surf's Up, which would have been all great if it would have come out as "Landlocked", but works pretty well on its own.

And there are a whole passel of songs from the first decade of Beach Boys music that just lays it flat out, and as a rock and roll bassist, Brian cooks. As a rock and roll guitarist, Carl is really good. As a rock and roll asshole cheerleader, they don't come any funnier than Mike Love. And as for Dennis, somebody had to get mixed up with Charles Manson.

I don't believe there has been a great Beach Boys' album or much great music since SUNFLOWER, and that was in 1970, but it was a hell of a way to go out. I would actually recommend the Sunflower/Surf's Up CD, reissued last year, to anyone interested in the Beach Boys beyond the beach.

Ten Beach Boys' songs that friggin' rock:

1. Little Honda
2. 409
3. Don't Back Down
4. Heroes and Villians
5. Wild Honey
6. Shut Down
7. Do It Again
8. Girl Don't Tell Me
9. It's About Time
10. Good Vibrations

Just to smatter a few.

It's 20 degrees in North Carolina -- I NEED me some Beach Boys right about now.

12-26-02 10:14 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Carnie's been looking pretty hot lately. But, still not as hot as Chynna.

Hey did you get a peak at what Cherry Valance is up to in that new vid rental Unfaithful (unfortunately co-starring Gere)? Please check it out. Yowza mang! That even got my wife going and I think she seldom dreams about straying across the line like you do.

Wow! What a beautiful woman.

"Developing something, thats for damn sure, Ronnie!"
12-26-02 10:36 PM
Martha
Thanks for all that Nasty..you've given me the courage to say it.................................

I lOVE the Beach Boys.

I feel better now.

Saw Brain Wilson open for Paul Simon last summer from the 6th row...the harmonies knocked me right out of my seat...gorgeous! I'd forgotten how much I liked their music.

Mike Love is loopy as hell...anger spits right outta his red eyeballs(remember the induction ceremony at the Rock Hall where he says "people have been sayin that Mike Love is crazy for years"?) YIKES!..I wouldn't fuck with the dude.

I'll listen to the music anytime, though. Of course, only in the nestled comfort and safety of my home in the country..far, far away from peering red, beady, fire-spittin' prying eyes!

I wanna live Ronnie!

Can anyone turn the sun back on now?
12-26-02 10:50 PM
Nasty Habits I knew all these big mean smart rock and roll nabobs of negativity were scaring people into not sharing their true love of the Beach Boys.

I dig a french bikini on Hawiian Island dolls by a palm tree in the sand, Martha. How about you?

12-27-02 01:35 AM
Martha
I actually prefer to tan in the buff.....
12-27-02 01:37 AM
Martha
...a string bikini works too..in a pinch.

Can someone turn on the sun?

Page: 1 2