ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Analú - Age 10 - December 27, 2003
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Top Grossing Tour Of 2003 (Billboard) Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-16-03 06:33 PM
Gazza Stones, Bruce, Cher Rule 2003 Tour Landscape

Seasoned veterans once again dominated the touring business in 2003. The top three tours for the year to Nov. 18 were by the Rolling Stones (grossing $299.5 million), Bruce Springsteen ($181.7 million) and Cher ($76.3 million).

The Stones staked their claim as the top touring act on the planet. The band's ambitious Licks world tour, produced by Michael Cohl's TGA Entertainment, played to more than 3.4 million people, exceeding expectations. "We're never that aggressive in our projections," Cohl says. "It's always nice when you come up with an idea, go through rehearsals, go up with the first dates on sale, then start playing the shows, and maybe it works."

Rounding out the top 10 tours of the year were Fleetwood Mac ($69.2 million), Dixie Chicks ($62.2 million), Eagles ($53.7 million), Dave Matthews Band ($52.6 million), Aerosmith & Kiss ($50 million), Metallica's Summer Sanitarium ($48.5 million) and Billy Joel & Elton John ($45.8 million).

It was a landmark year for country touring, with five acts among the top 25. After the Chicks, the top country tours were by Toby Keith ($41.2 million), Kenny Chesney ($39.7 million), Tim McGraw ($33 million) and Shania Twain ($25.3 million). Chesney, with 1.15 million tickets sold, outdrew every other country act, including the Chicks. Other country acts -- including Alabama ($20 million), Brooks & Dunn ($18.8 million), George Strait ($14.8 million) and Alan Jackson ($11.5 million) -- also put together successful tours.

This was not the case for rap. In a typical year for the genre-which has a history of huge retail success that fails to translate into box-office muscle-there was only one rapper among the top 25 touring artists. 50 Cent rang up $23 million in ticket sales, much of it co-headlining with Jay-Z on the Roc-the-Mic tour.

The numbers are more promising for Latin music. Although no Latin artists cracked the top 25, several did well, including Shakira (with $14.5 million), Mana ($12.4 million), Luis Miguel ($9 million) and Vincente Fernandez ($9 million).

-- Ray Waddell, Nashville

www.billboard.com
12-16-03 06:49 PM
glencar Good news. I hope it doesn't hurt Joshy too much!
12-16-03 07:17 PM
Steel Wheels Who the Christ is going to rap concerts?

If there's one audience that needs to be terminated, it's them.
12-16-03 07:18 PM
glencar Don't worry; it's likely that they terminate each other, G!
12-16-03 07:22 PM
Gazza >Don't worry; it's likely that they terminate each other, G!

thats why the box office takings for rap concerts are down. The fan base is diminishing. "Natural wastage"
12-16-03 07:51 PM
Gazza Theres no copyright notice beside it, so be my guest!
12-16-03 07:57 PM
stonedinaustralia well i know "rap","hip/hop" or call it what you like is not everyone's cup of tea - especially amongst a group (us)that is, i suspect, mainly made up of middle class white people

however, i would say, in defence of those genres, that it has to be admitted that they are the contemporary manifestatation of the same music which inspired the stones - i.e. the music of "under class" black people...

open your ears and your minds and you might just hear something that you can understand/relate to...

cheers
12-16-03 11:09 PM
glencar I heard the Billboard news on the mainstream radio station as I headed out tonight.

SIA, while hip hop is the new music here, it's generally most popular amongst young white teens. Eminem is bigger than any black star. And occasionally an act like Outkast breaks out on the "white" pop stations. In fact, more than occasionally.
12-17-03 12:02 AM
Phog I think rap has a real problem translating in a live setting. What little rap I've seen live (Wu Tang, Ice-T) simply suffers from poor sound. It's nothing more than beats, muddy sound effects, and too many people shouting into their mics at the same time. You'd think, with as much money as these folks rake in, that they'd have found proper sound systems by now.

Good to see the Stones at #1!!
12-17-03 10:56 AM
glencar I think it's called "hip-hop" these days...
12-17-03 11:06 AM
telecaster I am rushing to put out a rap Christmas album. Sure money maker

12-17-03 11:07 AM
glencar Make it a "hip-hop" one & I'll buy 2!
12-17-03 06:07 PM
Gazza >well i know "rap","hip/hop" or call it what you like is not everyone's cup of tea - especially amongst a group (us)that is, i suspect, mainly made up of middle class white people

my flippant comments above aside, I actually like a lot of rap/hip hop music. Like all other styles of music, including rock, it has its high volume to dross that you have to sift through to find the good stuff.

For every Vanilla Ice, theres a Bon Jovi...
12-17-03 06:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Everything is basically crap except blues and blues based rock n roll or blused based country. The rest is fluff. IMO. At least that what turns me on. Mozart wasn't so bad either...somehow I think he touched on "it" early on.
12-17-03 09:42 PM
Gazza unfortunately most of EVERYTHING is crap. Plenty of people playing the style of music you like but who just arent very good.
12-17-03 10:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
unfortunately most of EVERYTHING is crap. Plenty of people playing the style of music you like but who just arent very good.

LOL. Some of them ARE very good, or at least 'some' of them. Sure there's always hacks, but...where else is there to go...the next blind alley?
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12-17-03 11:48 PM
kahoosier I agree that rap has trouble translating to a live venue. But since we are at a Stones site, with memories of some of the events of the last 18 months, when I read about these guys spending the money they rake in on a decent sound sytem, I am reminded of the phrase from The Bible about "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Which is , I suppose a whole other subject, but why oh why can't some performers seem to get the sound right when others seem to have almost mystical luck with PAs?I wish I knew a good sound board man to talk to about this.

12-18-03 04:49 AM
corgi37 The best thing about the tour results is no McCartney to bodgy the figures, like he did in 02. Man, no one was even close to the Stones.
12-18-03 03:58 PM
Joey " The best thing about the tour results is no McCartney to bodgy the figures, like he did in 02. Man, no one was even close to the Stones. "

Corgi ?!?!?! Is that you ?!?!?!

Hello oh ye of the serious .

12-18-03 04:02 PM
jb Was that ideed Corgi? That was a very, very serious post...therefore, it probably was the Corgi.
12-18-03 04:04 PM
Joey " Was that ideed Corgi? That was a very, very serious post...therefore, it probably was the Corgi. "

Yes , it was completely devoid of humor , dessicated in nature and gave new meaning to the term " dry " .

It HAD to be Corgi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Corgi is the ' Dry Martini ' of Posters Ronnie "

Jacky Chan !
12-18-03 04:09 PM
jb Joey, I am less than 4 hrs away from the "Sounds of Silence"
12-18-03 04:36 PM
glencar You 2 chicks must have missed his "seriously hung" post. Corgi is actually quite humorous. But no one is as silly as you 2 chicks.
12-18-03 04:37 PM
glencar I am 4 hours away from another sound thrashing on the tennis courts! I hate my partner.
12-18-03 05:14 PM
Joey " Joey, I am less than 4 hrs away from the "Sounds of Silence"

I wish I were there with you tonight Josh .

Say Hi to Pino for me
12-18-03 05:50 PM
Gazza >LOL. Some of them ARE very good, or at least 'some' of them. Sure there's always hacks, but...where else is there to go...the next blind alley?

I know! Its just that I'm as cynical as Corgi is serious!
12-18-03 05:55 PM
glencar Not you too?

12-18-03 05:55 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I know! Its just that I'm as cynical as Corgi is serious!

and as we are all now well aware, corgi is "very,very serious"...indeed, some would say (and have said)he is EXTREMELY serious...but we must remember he has important work to do keeping the streets of melbourne free from the criminal scum that threaten the safety and the future of our innocent children...i mean, you'd be serious too if you had to do that...wouldn't you???
12-18-03 06:20 PM
Joey " but we must remember he has important work to do keeping the streets of melbourne free from the criminal scum that threaten the safety and the future of our innocent children...i mean, you'd be serious too if you had to do that...wouldn't you??? "

Yes , but it is that " itchy trigger finger " of his that has got everyone so concerned around here ...............

That , and he is very serious .
12-18-03 06:23 PM
glencar Joey, turns out you lied about Jumacfly. He's no copinsky, gabeesh?
Page: 1 2