ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick and Keith in new U2 video Return to archive Page: 1 2
18th December 2006 01:15 PM
glencar ABB lovers are the winners of the world. We have great taste & we are keeping the Stones in the game. There will be a rumble at 7PM at PS 138(Lafayette Ave. in the Bronx) between the Emotional Rescue He Man Haters Club & the ABB Lovers Winners Club. Bring chains. Let's get it on!
18th December 2006 01:16 PM
glencar I beleive the black woman who Gazza asked about is Alicia Keyes. She's featured in a BOB song...
18th December 2006 01:34 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
ABB lovers are the winners of the world. We have great taste & we are keeping the Stones in the game. There will be a rumble at 7PM at PS 138(Lafayette Ave. in the Bronx) between the Emotional Rescue He Man Haters Club & the ABB Lovers Winners Club. Bring chains. Let's get it on!

Ready....Fight!!
the perfect Indian Girl combo will ruin your "Streets of lovers" team.
Then, the tambourine of Let me go will suddently hit you and the bass line from Rescue, made by a certain Ronald Wood (he used to play with them, he s a nice session man on ABB), will finish you.
Keith will sing "All About You" during your funerals.
18th December 2006 01:35 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:

There will be a rumble at 7PM at PS 138(Lafayette Ave. in the Bronx)

Lafayette Avenue??
It's the name of the mall here!!
18th December 2006 02:01 PM
Poplar
cool video ... and awesome song. I've never understood the U2 haters here.

as i've said before: line up their careers by year and U2 has been creating REALLY good, relevant music FAR beyond the years the Stones managed to. Stones ended with Tattoo You, while U2 just keeps doing it. Also - they've never caved in to the kind of krap Cohl pulls. Note for note, their ticket prices can't be beat, and make the stones look like criminals.
18th December 2006 02:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I beleive the black woman who Gazza asked about is Alicia Keyes. She's featured in a BOB song...

Yeah - thats who I was thinkin' about this afternoon after I signed out. I was wonderin' where in the world she could be.

Thanks
[Edited by Gazza]
18th December 2006 02:21 PM
Joey
quote:
fna69 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VskbxuehP3I

interesting concept.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18th December 2006 03:07 PM
glencar
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Lafayette Avenue??
It's the name of the mall here!!

It was my first school I went to...
18th December 2006 03:07 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yeah - thats who I was thinkin' about this afternoon after I signed out. I was wonderin' where in the world she could be.

Thanks
[Edited by Gazza]

I've read that she's a lesbian...
18th December 2006 03:34 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Poplar wrote:

as i've said before: line up their careers by year and U2 has been creating REALLY good, relevant music FAR beyond the years the Stones managed to. Stones ended with Tattoo You, while U2 just keeps doing it.

I'm not a U2-hater, but I still don't agree with you. If the Stones had never recorded another note beyond what's excerpted on the "London Years" singles collection, they'd still be greater than U2 can ever hope to be.
18th December 2006 03:37 PM
glencar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I'm not a U2-hater, but I still don't agree with you. If the Stones had never recorded another note beyond what's excerpted on the "London Years" singles collection, they'd still be greater than U2 can ever hope to be.

Plus I don't agree that it all stopped with Tattoo You. I agree that none of their albums were ever that big again but teh quality ebbed & surged over the next 25 years. Perhaps leaving Ahmet Ertegun was NOT the right move after all. When they were with him they had a string of #1 album releases.
18th December 2006 03:57 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
Plus I don't agree that it all stopped with Tattoo You. I agree that none of their albums were ever that big again but teh quality ebbed & surged over the next 25 years. Perhaps leaving Ahmet Ertegun was NOT the right move after all. When they were with him they had a string of #1 album releases.

I agree with your disagreement! All the post-TY albums are at least momentarily great. VL and B2B are as good, if not better, than Zooropa and Pop, so that takes care of most of the '90s, head-to-head. So if the '80s were U2's '60s, that means they've got a long, long, long way to go before they stack up.
18th December 2006 04:30 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

The singer speculation can be put to rest, its Dave and nobody else. Well atleast this time around.

the latest...

Eddie just fired Dave again and hired this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWW6kRITEY
18th December 2006 04:33 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

the latest...

Eddie just fired Dave again and hired this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWW6kRITEY

damn!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eM15-fMbCU
18th December 2006 04:36 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

damn!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eM15-fMbCU

nice. I think JT was in the Mickey Mouse Club with VH's new bassist, so he's probably a good fit for their new frontman.
18th December 2006 04:36 PM
Poplar
Just stack them up year by year and look at lognevity of creativity. I dig B2B, VL, ABB, etc... but seriously, to compare the same stretches of their career (regardless of teh 60's vs 80s thing) is hardly even worth the time.

Undercver vs. Pop
Dirty Work vs. All You Can't Leave Behind
Steel Wheels vs. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

I rest my case. U2 is still creating new, fresh, avant garde, contemporary music at a time when the stones were offering the biggest pieces of crap they ever came up with. I live for the stones (love them more than U2, easy) but I don't even own DW or Undercover - and i have no interest in receiving them as gifts. That said, I don't think U2 has made a shit album since Rattle & Hum, and I think Zooropa may have been one of teh coolest albums of the 1990's. That album rocks my world.

18th December 2006 04:37 PM
Some Guy Dudes are old.
18th December 2006 05:10 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Poplar wrote:
Undercver vs. Pop

Apalling competition, U2's albums were all #1 on both UK or US with not less than 4 top 10 singles from each albums.
18th December 2006 05:15 PM
Poplar
I'm not trying to slag the stones... they're my boys.
just saying that U2 deserves some big time credit for their staying power, whereas the stones fizzled in 83.

18th December 2006 05:18 PM
Gazza
quote:

glencar wrote:
I beleive the black woman who Gazza asked about is Alicia Keyes. She's featured in a BOB song...

quote:
Gazza wrote:

quote:
glencar wrote:
I've read that she's a lesbian...

In which case, thats a pretty good place to be
[Edited by Gazza]
18th December 2006 05:28 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Apalling competition, U2's albums were all #1 on both UK or US with not less than 4 top 10 singles from each albums.

I don't find the argument from sales very compelling.
18th December 2006 05:32 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Just stack them up year by year and look at lognevity of creativity. I dig B2B, VL, ABB, etc... but seriously, to compare the same stretches of their career (regardless of teh 60's vs 80s thing) is hardly even worth the time.

Undercver vs. Pop

Why jump around chronologically like that? It's much simpler to compare them contemporaneously. I don't think much of Zooropa, and think rather lowly of Pop. I liked the last two U2 albums, and I liked ABB, too. Whether the stuff is listened to by young people or considered relevant or "avant-garde" -- I couldn't care less.
18th December 2006 06:13 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Undercver vs. Pop

Unless you're using a literal, 20-year framework, I'd add that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are more comparable, in these terms, to the Stones' punk-era comeback. As Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune complained, the last two U2 albums were a calculated return to roots, rather supposed envelope-pushers like Pop.

I will grant you that the Stones (more specifcally, Mick) have not been as successful as U2 at incorporating European club/dance music into their basic sounds.
18th December 2006 06:18 PM
Poplar
after work tonight - i'll do a year by year recount.
18th December 2006 06:26 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Poplar wrote:

after work tonight - i'll do a year by year recount.

Won't persuade me! The reason why is the long silences between U2 releases. Let's say, for yuks, that the Stones took four to five years off from 1971 until the present -- which is pretty much what U2 has done since the early-'90s. If you do that, you can pare down the Stones' catalog to nothing but unquestioned greatness.
18th December 2006 06:31 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Won't persuade me! The reason why is the long silences between U2 releases. Let's say, for yuks, that the Stones took four to five years off from 1971 until the present -- which is pretty much what U2 has done since the early-'90s. If you do that, you can pare down the Stones' catalog to nothing but unquestioned greatness.

Something like this:

1971: Sticky Fingers
1975: Exile on Main Street
1979: Goats Head Soup (plus the best of IORR and B&B)
1983: Some Girls
1988: Tattoo You
1991: The best of post-'83

Also throw in, for good measure, the fact that U2's releases over the last 15 years have generally been short, while the Stones' have been overlong.

You get the idea...
[Edited by Mel Belli]
18th December 2006 10:56 PM
pdog It's good to be in a U2 video, it's good to be anywhere!
KR 2006
20th December 2006 01:20 AM
Route66 The Stones are my all time favorite band, and I love all, ALL of their albums. However, U2 is my 2nd favorite all time band. I don't understand the haters either.

I also like Sinatra though. It was cool to see him in the video twice.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)