ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Get well Keef!!
Keithfucius say
"If you're gonna get wasted, get wasted elegantly
oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!
© 1979 Mr. Henry Diltz
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Queen E. Honors Jimmy Page (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 15th, 2005 04:44 AM
UGot2Rollme from canoe.jam.ca:

LONDON (AP) - Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has been honoured by the Queen - but the award was for his work with poor Brazilian children rather than his music.

The 61-year-old rocker went to Buckingham Palace on Wednesday to receive an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, or OBE, from Queen Elizabeth.

Page said he was overwhelmed to be given the accolade, recalling how he first became involved with Brazilian children in 1994 when fighting broke out among street gangs while he was in Rio de Janeiro promoting an album.

"At that time in Rio the sun wasn't shining. The army was going into the favelas (shantytowns) and I heard about the plight of the street children," he told reporters.

Page joined forces with British charity Task Brazil and set up a safe house, which has supported more than 300 children. Task Brazil offers medical and psychological support, food, clothing and job training.

"I think when you're faced with a plight that's inescapable, and there's something you can do about it, you hope you can make a difference," Page said.

Page was a member of the '60s band The Yardbirds before helping found Led Zeppelin.
December 15th, 2005 05:19 AM
pdog More British rock royalty...
Pfft!
December 15th, 2005 05:33 AM
justforyou Pfft ? Damn, Jimmy does something from the heart and thats your reaction ?

I have a fantasy of him touring with the Stones. I like the small solo licks he put in the Crowes' songs on their stint together, though I wish he hadn't played so many Led covers with them.
December 15th, 2005 06:05 AM
justforyou Speaking of the Crowes, I am still amazed by 'She Talk To Angels" from SNL 1991 with that awesome slide guitar by Jeff Cease. Marc Fords solo's on that song never did it for me, Page had his own take on that one, better than Marc - but not better than Jeff!
December 15th, 2005 07:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
More British rock royalty...
Pfft!

an OBE is akin to 'royalty'? Boy, you really have a clear understanding of it all, eh?
December 15th, 2005 02:50 PM
stonesmachine Thats cool, good for Jimmy
December 15th, 2005 03:00 PM
jb Another paltry hnor...Poor Keith and Charlie........England hates them with a passion unseen in recent years.
[Edited by jb]
December 15th, 2005 03:32 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

an OBE is akin to 'royalty'? Boy, you really have a clear understanding of it all, eh?

It's just the pedastal they get put on, that's all. Better to burn out or fade away, but this stuff is just tooo weird. One thing we know, Keith won't ever be in that group, and that's fine with me... He might be the only rocker left with a sense of teen angst left in him...
That's all I was getting at...
He does good things with his cash, but he is also humble about it...
December 15th, 2005 03:48 PM
keefjunkie jimmy is the fucking man
December 15th, 2005 03:50 PM
jb
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
jimmy is the fucking man

he is an overrated hack....as Mick said "Jimmy Page is quite the rage, I cannot see the reason why".......
December 15th, 2005 04:28 PM
pdog
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
jimmy is the fucking man

And you're his bitch~!
December 15th, 2005 04:35 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
he is an overrated hack....as Mick said "Jimmy Page is quite the rage, I cannot see the reason why".......

I agree with & love that sentiment. One old queen giving another an silly honor...
[Edited by glencar]
December 15th, 2005 04:38 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
pdog wrote:

It's just the pedastal they get put on, that's all. Better to burn out or fade away, but this stuff is just tooo weird. One thing we know, Keith won't ever be in that group, and that's fine with me... He might be the only rocker left with a sense of teen angst left in him...

I love Keith but I very much doubt there's any "teen angst left in him". That's a bit "rich" if you catch my drift..
December 15th, 2005 04:42 PM
glencar
quote:
pdog wrote:

Keith won't ever be in that group, and that's fine with me... He might be the only rocker left with a sense of teen angst left in him...

Well, him & the guy from.38 Special!
December 15th, 2005 05:01 PM
pdog
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:

I love Keith but I very much doubt there's any "teen angst left in him". That's a bit "rich" if you catch my drift..

He's still got alot of "fuck you" left in him, especially towards establishment ass kissing, which all these other wrinkley rockers seem to need to validate themselves!
December 15th, 2005 05:08 PM
Ronnie Richards That's true.
December 15th, 2005 05:16 PM
pdog I'm glad somebody understands what i'm trying to say...
Good work, good causes... I just can't stand it when this stuff is done without anonymity or humility... Maybe I'm just a bitter pill today...
I need to get out my spoon and cook up some Kris Kringle and give myself the Xmas spirit IV injection...
December 15th, 2005 05:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

theres no fucking 'pedestal' attached to an OBE. Its not like he got a peerage. He got one because of some charity work (which is why most people get such an award). His chosen profession has nothing to do with it.

Jesus

Keith the only rocker with teen angst left in him? Spare me. You mean the ultra-rebel who licenses his songs for soap operas and plays private parties for billionaires?
December 15th, 2005 06:07 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

theres no fucking 'pedestal' attached to an OBE. Its not like he got a peerage. He got one because of some charity work (which is why most people get such an award). His chosen profession has nothing to do with it.

Jesus

Keith the only rocker with teen angst left in him? Spare me. You mean the ultra-rebel who licenses his songs for soap operas and plays private parties for billionaires?

nothing says rock and roll like Days of Our Lives Baby!!!
December 15th, 2005 11:18 PM
jb Keith is a faker as well these days,,,but he at least can still play.........Page is a bloated ass.........No LZ fan can be a Stones fan.
December 15th, 2005 11:22 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

That shit is all Jagger and Cohl, Keith likes the money but he spits on the ass kissing British Wrinkley Rocker crew. I didn't say he was all angst, I said he's still got some, like telling those Live8 pompous pricks to fuck off... I also didn't say there was anything wrong with Page, his charity work or even the award, I just get sick hearing about it, and watching these so called rebels hang out with Queens and become knights ect... Good for Jimmy and The Queen. God save them both, b/c I wrote both them off years ago...
Maybe it was a casual awards presentation in jeans and t-shirts, and not the stuffy crap I imagined it to be, but I doubt it... I'm sure it was a humble affair! Did Jimmy stuff the QE full of fish?
[Edited by pdog]
December 15th, 2005 11:36 PM
jb Keith is playing very well..but he looks gay in his outfits...
December 15th, 2005 11:40 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
Keith is playing very well..but he looks gay in his outfits...

Keith looks so gay even Elton John called him a pansie!
December 16th, 2005 09:57 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
pdog wrote:

Maybe it was a casual awards presentation in jeans and t-shirts, and not the stuffy crap I imagined it to be, but I doubt it... I'm sure it was a humble affair! Did Jimmy stuff the QE full of fish?
[Edited by pdog]

It certainly wasn't casual. There was a picture of Jimmy in yesterdays Sun newspaper. It was the usual formal affair, as you'd expect.

He got his OBE for his recent charity work and not for his contribution to music. Also, it's as if he's been knighted and joined the "brown noses" as Keith likes to dub that crowd! People get such awards for noble and genuine acts of kindness and humanity. At least that’s why Jimmy got it. I don't think it really matters whether he was the guitarist in Led Zeppelin or not. This is a completely separate issue.

Well-done Jimmy!

December 16th, 2005 09:58 AM
glencar I can't believe Page was so charitable. It's hard to picture him that way.
December 16th, 2005 10:02 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
I can't believe Page was so charitable. It's hard to picture him that way.

What I can't beleive is how young he looks! Judging by the photo I saw, you'd certainly never guess he was in his 60's.
December 16th, 2005 01:56 PM
Egbert
quote:
jb wrote:

I believe Mick was taking the piss out of Jimmy for turning down the Stones' offer to join the band after Taylor left.
December 16th, 2005 01:57 PM
jb
quote:
Egbert wrote:

I believe Mick was taking the piss out of Jimmy for turning down the Stones' offer to join the band after Taylor left.

Why would he join,..LZ was, sadly, bigger than the Stones,,and still is, too pimply faced teenagers throughout the world.
December 16th, 2005 04:41 PM
marko Im a zep fan,but a bigger stones fan.
December 16th, 2005 07:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

It certainly wasn't casual. There was a picture of Jimmy in yesterdays Sun newspaper. It was the usual formal affair, as you'd expect.

He got his OBE for his recent charity work and not for his contribution to music. Also, it's as if he's been knighted and joined the "brown noses" as Keith likes to dub that crowd! People get such awards for noble and genuine acts of kindness and humanity. At least that’s why Jimmy got it. I don't think it really matters whether he was the guitarist in Led Zeppelin or not. This is a completely separate issue.

Well-done Jimmy!

I assume you meant to say " it's not as if he's been knighted", etc. ?

Which would fit in with the rest of the points you have (correctly) made.

Speaks volumes that a guy gets what is basically a pat on the back (nothing more in real terms) for using some of his vast wealth to help people less fortunate than himself (and I must admit I was totally unaware of this charity, so it's pretty low-key) and yet people feel the need to bitch at him because someone gave him a token for his efforts

Its quite pathetic that just because someone's a rock n roller they're expected to be decadent and depraved 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Would people actually prefer he was a complete bastard who contributed nothing to society?

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)