ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1971 Andy Warhol/Craig Braun
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones recording on Mick's garage, according to Don Was. Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 9th, 2004 12:56 PM
Soldatti The article is in spanish, the resume is this:
- Don Was said that he is the producer of the new album, they just started.
- The Stones are recording on Mick's garage
- The new album will be out soon, next summer
- Mick and Keith are working together more than ever, they have 40 new songs
- About Live Licks, he said that the record is clear, only 1 overdub and is the best live album for Mick and Keith.

The Rolling Stones ruedan en el garaje de Jagger

Graban en la cochera de Mick el nuevo disco de los Rolling Stones, anuncia el productor Don Was

Alberto Castillo/Enviado
El Universal
Jueves 09 de diciembre de 2004

Los Ángeles.- El productor Don Was está listo para escribir un capítulo más en su historia personal con The Rolling Stones.

Luego de participar en álbumes de Sus Satánicas Majestades como Stripped , Voodoo lounge , Bridges to Babylon y Live licks , su más reciente CD en vivo, el estadounidense dio a conocer que también será el productor del siguiente material de la banda inglesa.

"Estoy produciendo un nuevo álbum de estudio para The Rolling Stones. Ya empezamos a hacer algo en el garaje de Mick Jagger. Apenas estamos empezando, pero será grandioso y estimo que el disco será lanzado en el verano próximo.

"No hay mucho que decir aún, excepto que Mick Jagger y Keith Richards están trabajando muy juntos, más que en 30 años, y han escrito cerca de 40 nuevas canciones. Los fans de hueso colorado deben estar felices y los nuevos entenderán por qué los Stones son la mejor banda de rock de la historia", declaró Don.

El también bajista y tecladista, cuyo nombre real es Donald Fagenson, ha participado en álbumes de Bob Dylan, The B-52`s, Elton John, Ringo Starr, Marianne Faithfull, Joe Cocker y El equilibrio de los jaguares , del grupo mexicano, así como en las bandas sonoras de Toy story , Thelma & Louise y Los Picapiedra .

Además de haber fundado el grupo de rhythm and blues Was (Not Was), es considerado uno de los más prolíficos productores de la música contemporánea.

Respecto de su labor en Live licks , Was afirmó que le agradó no modificar casi ninguna grabación en el estudio.

"Live licks es una rareza frente a la mayoría de los álbumes en vivo, porque casi no tiene añadidos a la grabación original. De hecho, sólo hay uno: debido a un error técnico la voz no fue grabada en un tema, pero Mick lo regrabó en una toma, ¡adivinen cuál es! Lo más importante fue que la guitarra de Keith quedara fuerte en la mezcla. Mick y Keith sienten que es su mejor disco en vivo y estoy de acuerdo".
December 9th, 2004 12:57 PM
glencar Mick's Spanish is getting better & better!
December 9th, 2004 01:00 PM
Mel Belli More Don "Let's Give 'Em Something to Talk About" Was.

O, crap.
December 9th, 2004 01:01 PM
Nasty Habits This would be pretty exciting except for the fact that Mick's garage is no doubt bigger than jb's house.

At least they seem to have a good spin on this one. Stones in the Garage I can get behind.

December 9th, 2004 01:35 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
[...]
- About Live Licks, he said that the record is clear, only 1 overdub and is the best live album for Mick and Keith.
[...]

WTF??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
*******************BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE******************

The fucker gotta be joking......I think he never heard about Ger Yer Ya-Ya's Out.....
December 9th, 2004 01:39 PM
Lavendar I hope the weather holds out! and noone is around to steal any sounds.
Figure this? "Joe cocker spaniel and The equilibrium of the jaguars," Nice
RED BONE?
Live Licks is a peculiarity...because almost does not have? Dah? WAS
Regrabo!
Any translation here? LOL
Merrry Christmas!
December 9th, 2004 03:08 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
This would be pretty exciting except for the fact that Mick's garage is no doubt bigger than jb's house.

At least they seem to have a good spin on this one. Stones in the Garage I can get behind.

I can picture Mick and Keith scratching heads, trying to come up with some new concept for the CD.
"Hey, Mick, we never played in garages when we were kids, did we? In flats, in pubs, but never in a garage!"
"That's right, Keith! As it happens, I have this nice, big garage, we could record with the whole London Philarmonic Orchestra if we wanted to!"
"Is there a bar?"
"You bet!"
"Then it's a deal. Call Charlie and that obsequious producer guy, we're going to rock!!!"
December 9th, 2004 03:10 PM
glencar A garage is a garage is a garage. However, after seeing how badly that translation went, perhaps garage = castle?
December 9th, 2004 03:23 PM
mac_daddy
quote:

i thought i remembered reading at iorr something by bob clearmountain, describing all of the overdubs, etc. - and the reasoning behind them. i think there were alot more than one - but maybe that was just cuts/edits...

i'll try to find the link...

December 9th, 2004 03:24 PM
glencar Maybe only 1 vocal overdub? Because there are clearly many instrumental ones.
December 9th, 2004 06:09 PM
Madafaka Gracias Soldatti!
December 9th, 2004 06:18 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

"Then it's a deal. Call Charlie and that obsequious producer guy, we're going to rock!!!"

Wow. Since when did Keith start using the word "obsequious"?

December 9th, 2004 06:22 PM
corgi37 Stones doing garage rock! Awright!!!

I love these tranlations. They crack me up. I love Spanish people too. Fuck it, i love everyone (except those Kiwi pricks).

Anyway, i relented, and downloaded disc 2 of Live Licks last night. DOn Was is full of shit!!

And, ROCKS OFF! What sort of disaster is that??

I recall the Bob Clearmountain email as well. He is full of shit too.

Oh, my thoughts on LL pt2?

Glad i didnt pay for it. Hear that, Stones? I didnt pay for it! hahahahha.
December 9th, 2004 06:33 PM
Nasty Habits Fight the power, Corgi37!

December 9th, 2004 06:55 PM
kath oh, i can see keith using the word obsequious...he's actually a pretty well read, bright guy. when he's not slurring his words, he's very eloquent!
December 10th, 2004 02:44 AM
Monkey Woman Maybe Keith would have *really* said "get that bootlicker of a producer here", but who knows? As Charlie (I think) said, Keith reads "big whopping books", so there.
December 10th, 2004 02:47 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
A garage is a garage is a garage. However, after seeing how badly that translation went, perhaps garage = castle?

I don't care if it's a garage, a castle, a basement, a storehouse or a toilet for that matter

Just the fact that they're working TOGETHER again sends shivers down my spine. This is the best news I've heard in 2004.
December 10th, 2004 03:13 AM
beer
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
This would be pretty exciting except for the fact that Mick's garage is no doubt bigger than jb's house.

Lol, nasty. exactly. Micks interpretation of this probably requires top of the line recording technology with 4 engineers and 5 star catering, ten guitar techs, and a double mirrored room full of "Yes Men" observing the entire thing.

-
December 10th, 2004 07:50 PM
gotdablouse Good news - they're working
Bad news - Don Was is around again, the worst "producer" they've ever had, zero punch and horrible hats
Better news - Chuck is uninvited as for B2B

December 10th, 2004 08:49 PM
Soldatti More info:
According to a radio they spent THREE weeks in November on Mick's house, Mick and Keith were alone the first week and Charlie arrived at mid-November. No word of Ronnie BTW...
They will continue in January, Don Was said: "It's not done. We can still fuck it up a thousand different ways, you know?, but what I'm hearing now is very much in the great Stones tradition."

December 11th, 2004 11:50 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Good news - they're working
Bad news - Don Was is around again, the worst "producer" they've ever had, zero punch and horrible hats
Better news - Chuck is uninvited as for B2B

Chuck what??!?!?!?! Could you repeat?!?

December 11th, 2004 11:52 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Stones doing garage rock! Awright!!!

I love these tranlations. They crack me up. I love Spanish people too. Fuck it, i love everyone (except those Kiwi pricks).

Anyway, i relented, and downloaded disc 2 of Live Licks last night. DOn Was is full of shit!!

And, ROCKS OFF! What sort of disaster is that??

I recall the Bob Clearmountain email as well. He is full of shit too.

Oh, my thoughts on LL pt2?

Glad i didnt pay for it. Hear that, Stones? I didnt pay for it! hahahahha.

Corgi IS THE KING!!!

Hail hail to the king!
December 11th, 2004 06:48 PM
Bloozehound Don't know how accurate this is but......yesterday morning on the radio, the morning DJs mentioned the Stones were set to record a new album, and they mentioned that it said (wherever they got their info) the objective of this record was for the Stones to revisit sounds that they haven't put on record since their first few albums in the early 60s.

just reporting what I heard
December 11th, 2004 06:54 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Don Was said: "It's not done. We can still fuck it up a thousand different ways, you know?, but what I'm hearing now is very much in the great Stones tradition."

Right, like HE fucked up VL by using the safest material against Mick's opinion, I guess he didn't have to let it happen on the other hand, was probably hoping it would be a hit. Good thing Mick took things over for B2B and brought in some guys with ideas. Anyway, why doesn't he fire Don Was, that man has been to the studio Stones what Chuck has been to the live Stones, made them look stupid !
[Edited by gotdablouse]
December 11th, 2004 11:30 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Don't know how accurate this is but......yesterday morning on the radio, the morning DJs mentioned the Stones were set to record a new album, and they mentioned that it said (wherever they got their info) the objective of this record was for the Stones to revisit sounds that they haven't put on record since their first few albums in the early 60s.

and Don Was is quoted above as saying "...but what I'm hearing now is very much in the great Stones tradition."

quite frankly, i'll believe it when i hear it - the stones machine and any one with a vested interest in the then current release/project and the media who want to tell people what they want to hear and even keith and ronnie personally have been pushing lines like these since Undercover

i mean i thought Was' whole thing on VL was to 'get them back to that exile sound" and we all know what a huge succes that was ...not saying that VL is bad per se (though as recently discussd there was a lot of "filler" material IMO - a great 10 track record it may have been)- but it sounded nothing like exile (to me at least)

they could do it now if they really are in a garage - the thing is,to me, it's all down to the recording equipment - i keep saying this - they've got to go back to a complete analouge recording process - the rise of digital technology has sucked the heart and guts and the individuality out of sound recording

either that or some-one's going to have to develop some new computer sound treatment - so that "exile sound" is just another effect option like distorion or reverb and so forth

the mention of mick and keith actually writing songs together from the bottom up is encouraging 'tho

what do i expect/want?? - well judging by their most recent efforts -that is to say the four tracks 40 licks i hope to god there are no more turgid tuneless disasters like "stealing my heart" - that track just does not rock - i'm a huge fan of the stones but really the damn thing sucks - "don't stop" ereally wasn't much better - a touch more meodic but just a pleasant harmless walk through - a song almost completely lacking in any kind of point or something to say - a song it showed/told me nothing - who'd have thought you would use adjectives like that to descrtibe the stones

my suggestuiion - get rid of Was - get Lee Peerry to produce - resist the urge to cover everything in overdubs and additional instruments

ABOVE ALL i want the stones , as they did so often what now seems a long time ago, to TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW - and to genuinely fire my imagination

well i could go on and on

by the way ...i am REALLY STONED AT THE MOMENT
December 12th, 2004 05:03 AM
F505 I don' t really know what to expect from these guys anymore who are nearly all in their sixties. The promo talk of Don Was is just ridiculous and obvious. I think they should make a record as pure as possible. Let them return to the blues and genuine rock 'n' roll of their first records so the circle will be closed. The problem of their last 5 records is that the Stones sound most of the time as a parody of themselves.

[Edited by F505]
December 12th, 2004 08:48 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Don't know how accurate this is but......yesterday morning on the radio, the morning DJs mentioned the Stones were set to record a new album, and they mentioned that it said (wherever they got their info) the objective of this record was for the Stones to revisit sounds that they haven't put on record since their first few albums in the early 60s.

Voodoo Lounge Pt. 2?
December 13th, 2004 01:43 AM
Bloozehound The part about Keith and Mick writing together is the most promising thing I've heard yet, and I'm convinced that the extent of which will be the key factor that determines how good this album turns out

we'll see
December 13th, 2004 03:15 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
The part about Keith and Mick writing together is the most promising thing I've heard yet, and I'm convinced that the extent of which will be the key factor that determines how good this album turns out

Totally agree. That's why I have high hopes (which I'm trying to throw away, with no obvious results) this might as well be a great Stones album.
December 13th, 2004 11:22 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
The part about Keith and Mick writing together is the most promising thing I've heard yet, and I'm convinced that the extent of which will be the key factor that determines how good this album turns out

we'll see

I have high hopes too, 8 years is too much time...
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood