ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Memorial in London
Thanks Ruby Tuesday

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Same old blues: Keith attacks Jagger over Knighthood Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-03-03 06:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
All a knighthood is is a pat on the back from the government. Its no different than a milkman getting an OBE, which also occasionally happens.

Well then it IS a "paltry honor".
12-03-03 07:40 PM
Gazza no, its simply not the arse-licking fest that so many of you Yanks are getting your knickers in a twist about.

Actually an ordinary citizen getting a nod of recognition is hardly "paltry". A lot of them deserve it more than people who are celebrities.

Rudoplh Guiliani got an honorary knighthood. No one seemed to whine about that.

No-one has yet come up with a logical alternative to what WOULDNT be deemed "paltry"

[Edited by Gazza]
12-03-03 07:54 PM
SHINE A LIGHT these two have been fighting like an old married couple for many years....each has his opinion....good for mick and i'm very happy that he's taking his dad. And keith does have the right an opinion as well. keith has his own "ceremony" of 20 years married to patti AND his 60 years on this earth, dec. 18. happiness and good will to all.
12-03-03 08:07 PM
Steel Wheels Gazza,

I've seen the Stones roughly 10 times. I can say that I have yet to spend more than 100 bucks for a seat, not including the theater show last year, which was nowhere near a grand.

As for the Vegas remark, do you feel the current sound/appearance/performance of the band is that of a Vegas act? I understand that Vegas acts are known for a rather spotty, boring, or tired act.

I think the band sounds better on stage as they get older,that the ticket prices are fair for the amount of people they employ, and that the Satanic Majesty should find the same dark twist to accepting the knighthood as he did when being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for "25 years of bad behavior."

Stroking his big Brit ego has rendered him somewhat delusional in his self importance. He's not being honored for his caring fatherly ways, his faithful devotion to women, or anything of the sort.

I like a dirty minded Mick, running after wine, women, and singing the best songs around!
12-03-03 08:50 PM
Gazza >I've seen the Stones roughly 10 times. I can say that I have yet to spend more than 100 bucks for a seat, not including the theater show last year, which was nowhere near a grand.

the tickets for the club show in Las Vegas last November were around $1,100. The tickets for the other theatre shows WERE reasonably priced, (although of course you had to join the fan club to get a chance at them but thats a minor gripe)

The Stones also reserve a lot of the best seats at their shows for those fans who pay around $2,000 or so for those overpriced fan club packages. Add to that the various scams such as the pre-sale and SamGoody nonsense and the fact that they do next to nothing to prevent ticket brokers having so many of the best seats for sale at ridiculously inflated prices and maybe you'll get my point.

>As for the Vegas remark, do you feel the current sound/appearance/performance of the band is that of a Vegas act? I understand that Vegas acts are known for a rather spotty, boring, or tired act.

no, but I think the type of fan theyre marketing themselves towards (see above) is the Vegas kind of fan with more money than sense. Thats my point.

>I think the band sounds better on stage as they get older,that the ticket prices are fair for the amount of people they employ,

a stadium show in 2003 employs no more than a stadium show in 1998. The ticket prices were $65 in 1998. By 1999, when they were touring with a smaller show and less overheads, the average ticket price was $110, with the top tickets being around $350. No logic to that only sheer greed. The average price is greater again on this tour,even allowing for inflation.

Thats been the pattern since. The Stones arent the only band in the world who plays big stadiums and have a big amount of people on their payroll. If Springsteen can do that kind of show for $75 and still make a fortune, theres no reason why the Stones cant charge the same prices and do the same. Why insist on making an amount of money you'll never spend should you live to be 300. Pointless.
[Edited by Gazza]
12-03-03 11:11 PM
glencar Well, we agree about ticket prices!
12-04-03 06:27 AM
keith_tif Your knightood is not a good thing for the Rock and Roll, Mr Jagger!...
I prefer Keith, he's more rock and roll than you!

Sorry for my english i'm french
12-04-03 08:48 AM
Mathijs >Keith. LOL. Well he can always become an American. We took care of it all in 1776.

uhm, Keith actually is American. He became American when he moved to Connecticut.

Anywyas, I really don't care about Jagger becoming Sir, but if I was Jagger I would have declined unless Richards would be nighted to. Jager must admit that it is Jagger/Richards that became famous and notorious, and not Jagger alone.

Mathijs
12-04-03 08:51 AM
glencar He's not American if he is still a British subject. And he still spends time in Jamaica & England.
12-04-03 08:52 AM
Mathijs Well, he has an American passport and pays taxes in the US.

Mathijs
12-04-03 08:53 AM
glencar Lots of aliens pay American taxes. I assume if I went to live in England I'd be subject to their taxes. I'm not sure about the passport part though.
12-04-03 08:56 AM
glencar I just checked and one can be a foreign alien & get an American passport. I think if Keith had become an American citizen it would have become a news story.
12-04-03 08:57 AM
glencar http://www.philcongenla.org/content.asp?FileName=%5Cconsular%5Cpassport.ini
12-04-03 09:29 AM
SHINE A LIGHT oh dear, this paltry tiff is sure making news...first, i see a full colored pic of keith in my morning paper,THEN it's on THE WEATHER CHANNEL!!!!

the media gets a crumb, and they run with it....like we're doing here?
12-04-03 09:38 AM
glencar They've been playing CYHMK a lot on the Weather Channel lately.
12-04-03 01:49 PM
Monkey Woman Is it possible to have both nationalities, British and American? I know in some countries, you have to abandon your former nationality to get a naturalization. Others accept dual nationality.

Oh and btw, it's cool that they play CYHMK. At least this brouhaha serves to put the Stones in the public eye...
[Edited by Monkey Woman]
12-04-03 02:31 PM
macawber -"he wants the publicity,its the only way he can get any"-
mick commenting on keiths reaction to his knighthood.

and micks thanks for carrying two completely worthless guitar players through 150 shows is...once again folks....a backstabbing quote in the media.

keiths motivation is- A.he doesn't give a shit about anything but the stones and the music so he ignores everything and stays quiet because he wants to write some great music with jagger again,besides the stones get bashed enough without doing it to each other.

keiths motivation is-B.he spends hours coming up with quotes and lines to feed to journalists,doesn't give a fuck about anything but getting press for himself and doesn't care how attacking his own lead singer in the media effects the band.
12-05-03 09:36 AM
SHINE A LIGHT i have always thought that one can have dual citizenship in the usa. if someone "knows" the real facts on this matter, please post. thanks.
12-05-03 09:45 AM
glencar I know one can have dual Irish & American citizenship. I was told years ago that you can't have dual Brit & American citizenship but I'm not sure what the status is now. But if Keith had become an American citizen, it would have made the news.
12-05-03 04:41 PM
prism About 25 years ago Charlie said in an interview that one of Keith's goals was to marry an American girl just so he could get a green card. Charlie jokingly said Anita would probably be in on the scheme.
12-05-03 05:29 PM
Gazza >I know one can have dual Irish & American citizenship. I was told years ago that you can't have dual Brit & American citizenship but I'm not sure what the status is now. But if Keith had become an American citizen, it would have made the news.

Dunno about all that but you can have dual British and Irish citizenship too! I live in Northern Ireland and you can choose either or,as far as I'm aware, both.

I doubt Keith has become a US citizen, although he's certainly a US resident. To the best of my knowledge, being married to a US citizen,surely he'd have dual nationality if he wished?

12-05-03 07:24 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
oh dear, this paltry tiff is sure making news...first, i see a full colored pic of keith in my morning paper,THEN it's on THE WEATHER CHANNEL!!!!

the media gets a crumb, and they run with it....like we're doing here?

It made the LA Times this am - complete with a pic of Keith...
12-05-03 10:02 PM
glencar I think if you're married to an American citizen, you can expedite the naturalization process.
12-05-03 10:06 PM
LadyJane
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
It made the LA Times this am - complete with a pic of Keith...

Hmmmmmmm....More publicity for the Stones!! Four Flicks is a new release. You know what I think? Mick and Keith LIVE for this stuff and laugh all the way to the bank (arm in fucking arm)

LJ.
12-06-03 01:36 PM
glencar This has been a publicity bonanza for the Glimmer Twins.
12-07-03 07:26 AM
Honky Tonk Man Keith Richards is Dual-Nationality. He has both a UK and a US Passport. I know because i used to work at the Passport Office and i have seen his UK Passport photo!

If he wanted to become a full American Citizen, he would have to renounce his British Citizinship and that he hasn't done.

Alex
Page: 1 2