ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan on 60 Minutes, Dec 5 (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 24th, 2004 03:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels DYLAN SPEAKS — TO BRADLEY
New York Post

November 24, 2004 -- BOB Dylan, the great American Bard, will appear on "60 Minutes" — his first television interview in more than 19 years.
Dylan sat with correspondent Ed Bradley for 90 minutes last Friday while on tour in Northampton, Mass. — the interview is slated to air on Dec. 5.

In the broadcast, Dylan talks about his career, fame, his difficult relationship with the press and his relationship with his father.

The singer has recently written a memoir called "Chronicles Volume One" and it is believed that he agreed to sit for the interview to help sell the book.

A CBS News press release to promote the interview noted that the book's publisher, Simon & Schuster, and CBS News are subsidiaries of Viacom.

Dylan has been on tour more or less constantly for years — but he has been reluctant to sit down for interviews. — Don Kaplan

November 24th, 2004 06:46 AM
Schleisher Thanks for the heads up.
November 24th, 2004 07:33 AM
Factory Girl Thanks for the heads up, 10,000 Mos.
November 24th, 2004 08:01 AM
Gazza Need that taped!!! If anyone can help (plus send the Gram Parsons tribute on the same tape) I'd be eternally grateful and you shall be suitably reimbursed
November 24th, 2004 10:57 AM
GimmeExile Wow! Thanks for the tip!

But doesn't this take away the uniqueness of Martin Scorsese's interview with him, which was billed as Dylan's first on-camera interview in nearly two decades?
November 24th, 2004 12:21 PM
glencar I can tape it Gazza but when is the Gram Parsons thing on? And can your machine accept our kind of tapes?
November 24th, 2004 02:56 PM
Hannalee
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Need that taped!!! If anyone can help (plus send the Gram Parsons tribute on the same tape) I'd be eternally grateful and you shall be suitably reimbursed

Tree the *%$^er!!
November 24th, 2004 03:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I can tape it Gazza but when is the Gram Parsons thing on? And can your machine accept our kind of tapes?

The Parsons tribute (which Keith played at in july) was shown on a PPV station in the US on November 15th, I believe. Maybe its being re-broadcast, I dont know.

If you missed it, no problem - and thanks for offering.

Most VCR's in the European (PAL) format now are "multi region" playback in that they play the US (NTSC) format as well. However, whilst I could watch that tape, I couldnt copy it to another video - I'd have to get it transferred to PAL format before I can do that.

Was hoping if someone had taped both shows for themselves they could copy them onto the same tape as it would mean me paying for the cost of having one tape converted to PAL instead of two...(plus I'd imagine the Dylan interview is barely going to be more than 20 minutes, based on other "60 Minutes" interviews I've seen before.
November 24th, 2004 03:09 PM
jb I would like to know if he has come back to his jewish roots or is still caught up in that quasi-religous thing...The only song I like by Dylan is 'Joker Man".
November 24th, 2004 03:14 PM
Joey <----- Thanks for the heads up.
November 24th, 2004 03:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
I would like to know if he has come back to his jewish roots or is still caught up in that quasi-religous thing...

both!!
[Edited by Gazza]
November 24th, 2004 03:24 PM
glencar Gazza, I could try to put the Dylan episode on DVD. I don't have the Gram show but I have a buddy who might come through. I'll keep you posted after our holiday weekend.
November 24th, 2004 03:33 PM
Gazza appreciate it. Thanks! Enjoy your thanksgivin' weekend!
November 24th, 2004 03:42 PM
mac_daddy i thought they were releasing the gp ppv special on dvd officially in a few weeks (pre-xmas). soundtrack cd, too...
November 24th, 2004 08:59 PM
Soldatti Thanks, I will see it soon.
November 26th, 2004 05:13 AM
Gazza
November 26th, 2004 05:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Wow, where did that come from? Gazza I hope you're wrong about that interview lasting only 20 minutes.
November 26th, 2004 05:32 AM
beer Hey bastards, get yer asses to Seattle.... The EMP.

I know there's been other topics bout this but anyway...

-------------
Bob Dylan's journey
Influential singer touched generations with heartfelt lyrics

SHARON WOOTTON FOR THE OLYMPIAN

Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind" was well on its way to becoming an anthem of the civil rights movement when Experience Music Project curator Jasen Emmons was born in 1963.

ADVERTISEMENT
Today, Emmons has become a Dylan expert as the curator of "Bob Dylan's American Journey, 1956-1966," an exhibit of more than 150 artifacts.
"Dylan's not a collector," said Emmons, who tracked down artifacts around the country. "He doesn't have a nostalgic bone in his body. He doesn't look back."

Although Dylan continues to write and perform, the exhibit focuses on the early years.

"I would argue that his first decade was his most creative period," Emmons said. "If he never wrote another song after 1966, he'd still be one of our most influential artists."

"American Journey" is an excellent complement to Dylan's current best- selling book "Chronicles: Volume One." Next summer, Martin Scorsese will release a documentary on Dylan, who made an indelible mark as a folk singer.

From age 19 to 24, he released seven incredibly diverse albums that evolved through folk, blues, topical (Civil Rights, anti-war), introspective and rock categories, all marked by a signature style.

The exhibit begins on a wall outside of the entrance where Emmons has chosen about a dozen songs and lyrics to represent the decade, including "Subterranean Blues," "Chimes of Freedom," "Masters of War," "Girl of the North Country," "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" and "The Times They Are A-Changin'."

Chronologically explore Dylan's growth and the influences of people and places, starting in Hibbing, a small town in the Iron Range of Minnesota.

EMP had 1,500 pounds of iron ore shipped from the Iron Range for a backdrop to the first section. There's a clock from his father's furniture store and a 22-page essay written as a high-school junior on John Steinbeck and character (he got a B).

Dylan wanted to be a rock star, but then he discovered Woody Guthrie. On display are Dylan's personal copy of Guthrie's "Bound for Glory," the "Woody Guthrie Songbook," and the only known Guthrie guitar.

Like Guthrie, Dylan stood up for causes and drew some of his songs from the news.

"He sees himself as a link in the musical chain," Emmons said.

But Dylan's vision was larger. He helped launch the singer/songwriter model that undermined the Tin Pan Alley model of songwriters writing for vocalists.

Trace Dylan's steps through posters and handbills as his world expands beyond Greenwich Village. Dylan and Joan Baez were dubbed the King and Queen of Folk at the Newport Folk Festival.

Folk meets politics in the next section as Dylan became a spokesman for a generation, a title he refused to accept.

Here's a draft for "Blowin' in the Wind," a No. 1 hit for Peter, Paul & Mary in 1963; and the FBI files on folk singer Phil Ochs.

The guitar that Bruce Langhorne played on the first five Dylan albums is here, as is Langhorne's tambourine that he played on "Mr. Tambourine Man."

In 1964, with Beatles' music reminding him of his rock 'n roll dreams, Dylan started to move away from folk/politics, breaking the heart of folkies.

In July 1965, he appeared on stage with an electric guitar at the Newport Folk Festival and was booed by many fans who felt he had sold out. According to Emmons, Dylan said: "Eventually, they'll get it."

Dylan's 1966 motorcycle crash is the last big event of the exhibit. He retreated into silence, which only added to the mystique.

"He was tired of dealing with all the expectations. The accident was also an excuse to step away. He was a very different person afterwards," Emmons said.

That will be a story for another exhibit.

Sharon Wootton can be reached at 360-468-3964 or www.songandword

www.emplive.com.

[Edited by beer]
November 26th, 2004 07:15 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Wow, where did that come from? Gazza I hope you're wrong about that interview lasting only 20 minutes.

Got it here :

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,831548_10_0_,00.html

The interview lasted 90 minutes. Not living in the US,I dont know how long interview segments shown on "60 Minutes" tend to last, but going by Ed Bradley's pieces with the Stones in both 1994 and 2002, it would appear 15-20 minutes would be about the standard. Do they ever do interviews that run for the entire broadcast?
November 26th, 2004 07:25 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Do they ever do interviews that run for the entire broadcast?

I don't know for sure, but in this case they'd be goddam fools if they didn't. Unless the editors want to save "hype footage" for a later date. Anyway Bob's a devious bastard and so aren't the 60 Minutes producers. Anything is possible. It's Bob on national TV though....what more could one ask for?
November 26th, 2004 07:36 AM
Gazza yeah it would be quite an exclusive, but surely what they are more conscious of more than anything is ratings - and would a 60 minute chat with someone like Bob Dylan appeal to the masses watching in prime time, considering most of them have the attention span (not to mention intellect) of a squirrel?
November 29th, 2004 10:54 PM
glencar They have run interviews longer than 20 minutes but it's very rare. I don't catch the show every week but I've seen it frequently over the past 30(!) years. Bon Jovi in 1987 did get 40 minutes...
November 29th, 2004 11:12 PM
Riffhard
quote:
glencar wrote:
They have run interviews longer than 20 minutes but it's very rare. I don't catch the show every week but I've seen it frequently over the past 30(!) years. Bon Jovi in 1987 did get 40 minutes...

Oh shit! Now you've done it Blue! When Gazza gets wind of 60 Minutes giving Bon Blow-me 40 minutes of their 60 minute alotment he's gonna blow a freaking gasket!

Riffhard
November 29th, 2004 11:26 PM
glencar I have it on tape if he needs it!
November 30th, 2004 05:13 AM
Gazza 40 fucking minutes???

What in the name of buggery did that friggin poodle find consequential enough to talk about that a respected news programme found worthy of giving 40 minutes of airtime to? His hair??

and just as I type this, Living On A Bastard Prayer has just come on the radio in work....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
November 30th, 2004 05:18 AM
Zeeta "woooooaaaaaaaahhh! You're half way there! Wwwwwwwwooooooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh Livin on a prayer, livin on a prayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Cut to guitar solo!

November 30th, 2004 05:21 AM
Gazza youre banned you fucker..lol
November 30th, 2004 05:26 AM
Zeeta LOL! Sorry Gazza!!

November 30th, 2004 05:28 AM
Gazza sorry - I'm very sensitive to anything by Bon Jovi, especially early in the morning when I'm at work trying to get some sleep
December 1st, 2004 10:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Sorry. Can't let this move to page 2. Only 4 days to go.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood