ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Baron Wolman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 is playing on the back of a flatbed truck while driving around NYC Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 22nd, 2004 01:35 PM
GimmeExile Sounds familiar, eh?

from U2log.com

U2 playing NYC from the back of a truck�

Eyewitness reports confirm the rumour we mentioned previously, saying the band are playing from the back of a flatbed truck and will be making random stops throughout the city all day until the concert at 3. Let�s hope they�ve buckled up!

11:15 am EST: Robin contacted us to say U2 were playing in front of Columbia University.

12:30 pm: People arriving at Washington Square Park were redirected to the Brooklyn location, but with more police showing up it is possible Washington Square Park will be hit later down the road. A Washington Square Park �official� claims the Brooklyn taping will be at 4 pm EST, not 3 pm, but U2.com now clearly states 3 pm.

12:40 pm: Jonathan mailed in to say the band are actually filming the video for �All Because of You� during the performances on the flatbed truck. This is unconfirmed information.

1:15 pm: U2 have been sited on Fifth Avenue.

More info as it comes in�

November 22nd, 2004 01:50 PM
glencar It's a cruddy overcast day in NY.
November 22nd, 2004 01:52 PM
jb I hate those bastards..any Stones fan who attenda any of these shows or participates in any of this pre tour hype, should be banned from the board as you really are not a part of our community.
November 22nd, 2004 01:57 PM
telecaster If Ireland insists on exporting this form of terrorism why can't it be The Corrs?

Three smoking hot babes at least
November 22nd, 2004 02:17 PM
Maxlugar OH MY GOD, TELE!

NOW THAT'S AN AVATAR!

Well played, my friend...

November 22nd, 2004 02:21 PM
Joey

<-------I hate those bastards..any Stones fan who attenda ( minor sic ) any of these shows or participates in any of this pre tour hype, should be banned from the board as you really are not a part of our community.

" New York- WABC, November 22, 2004 ) � The band U2 is spending the day driving around New York City shooting a music video on the back of a flatbed truck, culminating with a brief concert this afternoon in Downtown Brooklyn to air on MTV.

They're shooting the video for the song "All Because of You," and were spotted at around 11:30 a.m. near Columbia University. Reportedly, the plan is to hit several other locations.

The band will culminate their multi-borough tour with a half hour long 3:00 p.m. show at the Empire Fulton State Ferry Park, located in Brooklyn between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. It's an appearance that'll air on MTV.

Concert-goers were invited, but others who show up will be allowed to attend.

U2 will release their latest CD, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," tomorrow. "

http://www.interference.com/u2103773/index.html

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

Cassie & Yates !

|
|
|
|
|
V

[ Edited by Cassie ! ]

[Edited by Joey]
November 22nd, 2004 02:41 PM
Poplar
Do bongs cost that much nowadays?

great Avatar tele.
November 22nd, 2004 03:06 PM
glencar I think we're all looking forward to this upcoming U2 tour. Anyone from this board who doesn't attend at least 1 show is an overblown phony.
November 22nd, 2004 03:11 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think we're all looking forward to this upcoming U2 tour. Anyone from this board who doesn't attend at least 1 show is an overblown phony.

Tour dates should be announced soon ( Very early December )

.....most arenas have already been booked for months .

K.C. Joe ! �
November 22nd, 2004 03:14 PM
glencar Joey, are they playing your (square) state?
November 22nd, 2004 03:14 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think we're all looking forward to this upcoming U2 tour. Anyone from this board who doesn't attend at least 1 show is an overblown phony.

I for one shall not attend....I never cared for their music or persona......once you've seen the Stones, any other concert is a practice in futility.
November 22nd, 2004 03:19 PM
glencar That's asinine, Joshy.
November 22nd, 2004 03:22 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
That's asinine, Joshy.

Because you disagree? I think you have a right to like other groups, but don't even suggest that you are a 100% loyal Stones fan like me.
November 22nd, 2004 03:24 PM
Factory Girl jb, don't you like Neil Diamond???
November 22nd, 2004 03:25 PM
jb
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
jb, don't you like Neil Diamond???

Yes FG..but no one can compare the brilliant singer/songwriter Neil Diamond with U2.
November 22nd, 2004 03:27 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joey, are they playing your (square) state?

Yes , they have been booked at our brand spanking new , twenty thousand seat , five hundred million dollar ( most of it paid for by Warren Buffet ) , QWEST CENTER ARENA for THREE MONTHS now but it is supposedly all " Hush Hush " .

The company that manages our new arena is currently trying to book the following acts for next summer :

Paul McCartney
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
THE WHO ( " ? " -- Developing )

Skittles ! �

November 22nd, 2004 03:28 PM
glencar LOL You're acting out today, I see. And who's more loyal, you or me? Let's see, I've attended at least as amny shows as you & traveled to hell & back to see them. I've bought the latest CD & actually played it. Yoy constantly whine about them & don't go to very many shows. I am the true Stones fan & you are a wanna-be.
November 22nd, 2004 03:29 PM
glencar Joey, if the Stones play your cowtown, I will fly out tehre & you will show me a good time. Deal?
November 22nd, 2004 03:46 PM
Joey
" Joey, if the Stones play your cowtown, I will fly out tehre ( sic ) & you will show me a good time. Deal? "

Consider it DONE my Stonesian Brother !

The Joey , Established 1999 !
November 22nd, 2004 05:41 PM
Some Guy I will not be buying the new album tomorrow as I have heard many new tracks now and it just does not move me.
November 22nd, 2004 05:57 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I will not be buying the new album tomorrow as I have heard many new tracks now and it just does not move me.

It's no longer funny .....................it's bigger than money ....................you just don't move me ................anymore !

( Fade to White ( Baby Steelie ) ...............like an angel ! )
November 22nd, 2004 07:41 PM
glencar U2 "drops" tomorrow! BTW Little enws coverage of their stunt on the 6PM local broadcasts.
November 22nd, 2004 10:08 PM
mac_daddy this was posted somewhere else by a taper i know...

"I went!!!
You actually did need tix or else you were on stand-by. I got an email from 1iota.com(ive gotten Last Call w/Carson Daly tix from them) and they asked if i wanted tix. I got 2. We got there at about 1:45 and waited in line for about 2 hours before they let us into the stage area.
Once we got in, we were about 15-20 people deep from the stage!! Great spot! It was very intimate, probably only a few thousand total. While we were waiting some girl came out on stage and told us they were gonna be filming a video and took some early shots of the crowd sans the band. We had heard about the flatbed on 7th ave, and knew they were taking it to Brooklyn, but when they were coming across the Manhattan Bridge it was a very intense site. There was a film crew behind them, and I could see Bono bouncing all over and the Edge ripping it up. There was a Helicopter flying alongside of the Bridge getting some great camera angles. Once Bono could see the stage area from the bridge, he started jumping up and down and pointing and waving, while everyone in the crowd on the ground was going nutz! I swear i got chills, it was a very intense scene.
They finally made it down to the Park and onstage about an hour later, and opened up with Vertigo. Between every song Bono would talk a bit and explain where each of the new songs came from, and joke around. They played about 6 or 7 new songs, and then ended with Beautiful Day. Came back for a double encore of I Will Follow and Vertigo(for the second time).

I didnt stealth, although i REALLY wish i did. I was worried about security, but they didnt search anyone, so stealthing would have been no problem. I dont really have a good stealth set-up anyway, but i should rectify this for these types of situations.
I ran into 2 other tapers i know in line, but they werent running either
Oh well, maybe MTV will be cool and show the whole thing :P"
November 22nd, 2004 10:47 PM
Madafaka I've seen it on tv news...
November 22nd, 2004 10:56 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I will not be buying the new album tomorrow as I have heard many new tracks now and it just does not move me.

Many slow numbers and only 2-3 really rock songs, but the CD works fine for me.
November 22nd, 2004 11:20 PM
Poplar
i don't relay on "computer" listens.
i want to hear this bitch on my own stereo.

November 22nd, 2004 11:27 PM
corgi37 What will they do next?

Get a blimp?
Drive across the Brooklyn Bridge?
Go to Grand Central Station?
Sit in a stand at JFK stadium?

Is there still hope Live Licks can out sell How to dismantle an atom bomb?

(sound of crickets)

P.S. BTW, U2's new cd title is absolutley fucking stupid. It sucks. It just aint cool.
November 23rd, 2004 10:05 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
What will they do next?

Get a blimp?
Drive across the Brooklyn Bridge?
Go to Grand Central Station?
Sit in a stand at JFK stadium?

Is there still hope Live Licks can out sell How to dismantle an atom bomb?

(sound of crickets)

P.S. BTW, U2's new cd title is absolutley fucking stupid. It sucks. It just aint cool.

Corgi .................you make Joey smile .
November 23rd, 2004 10:13 AM
nankerphelge I heard that they ended up in a park under the Brooklyn bridge. I also noticed that the new release's cover looks very similar to Stripped -- the band all sitting there in a row.

I think they have serious Stones envy!!

How 'bout something original guys -- maybe a giant blow up cock -- oh wait -- they have Bono!!
November 23rd, 2004 10:25 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I heard that they ended up in a park under the Brooklyn bridge.

U2 - UNDER THE BRIDGE!

U2 staged the biggest guerrilla gig in history last night (November 22) in NEW YORK CITY with a surprise performance at the EMPIRE FULTON FERRY STATE PARK underneath the BROOKLYN BRIDGE.

An estimated 30,000 fans and industry-folk pulled out their subway maps and tried to navigate their way to out-of-the-way site where swarms of police and a gigantic MTV film crew awaited the mob.

Rumours that U2 were playing a secret show began circulating last week but no one was certain it was really happening until about noon, when the band climbed on the back of a giant flatbed truck and drove from upper Manhattan to the site downtown, performing the whole time.

Industrious fans who saw the band driving down Broadway outside their office windows were able to jump online and buy tickets off the MTV website, but most heard from friends that the biggest band in the world was playing a free show and decided to turn up and check it out.

The sound of several helicopters circling above intensified as the band�s truck began it�s long trip over the Manhattan Bridge, all of which was visible to the crowd. Fans who couldn�t get into the show lined up along the promenade on the Brooklyn Bridge, which allowed them to look down on the stage. The performance drew representatives from every major TV station, newspaper, and rock magazine in the city as well as several VIPs including the actor Jared Leto

The band took the stage as the skies darkened, threatening rain, which luckily held off for the duration of U2�s stunning 11-song set � which included two airings of new single �Vertigo�.

Bono was his usual magnanimous self, reminiscing about the band�s first trip to New York. He said: "[We remember] what it feels like to come over the bridge to Manhattan," as well as philosophising: "Science and medicine and God are all the same thing and they should always be the same thing."

He also told of how "My father used to conduct the stereo with my mother�s knitting needles," before album track �Sometimes You Can�t Make It On Your Own�, said to be inspired by his late father, who died in 2001.

The setlist was:

�Vertigo�
�All Because of You�
�Miracle Drug�
�Sometimes You Can�t Make it on Your Own�
�City of Blinding Lights�
�Original of the Species�
�She�s A Mystery To Me�
�Beautiful Day�
�I Will Follow�

�Out of Control�
�Vertigo�

U2�s new album �How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb� is out this week.

Page: 1 2