ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Happy 37th Ya Ya's Out!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Winter appreciation thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
18th November 2006 10:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Johnny Winter
Seth Walker DOORS 06:00 PM | SHOW 07:00 PM
JOHNNY WINTER

For over 30 years, Johnny Winter has been a guitar hero without equal. Signing to Columbia records in 1969, Johnny immediately laid out the blueprint for his fresh take on classic blues a prime combination for the legions of fans just discovering the blues via the likes of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton. Constantly shifting between simple country blues in the vein of Robert Johnson, to all-out electric slide guitar blues-rock, - Johnny has always been one of the most respected singers and guitar players in rock and the clear link between British blues-rock and American Southern rock (a la the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd.) Throughout the '70s and '80s, Johnny was the unofficial torch-bearer for the blues, championing and aiding the careers of his idols like Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker.

His recent Grammy nominated "I'm A Bluesman" disc Virgin/EMI, has only added to his Texas-sized reputation.

For this release, Johnny has again paired with his long-time producer Dick Shurman (Robert Cray, Wayne June Albert Collins, Roy Buchanan), as well as Tom Hambridge (Susan Tedeschi, George Thorogood). Backing him on this CD is his road-tested touring band of ace harmonica man James Montgomery, guitarist Paul Nelson, bassist Scott Spray, drummer Wayne June with guest appearances by such friends as keyboardist Reese Wynans (from Stevie Ray Vaughan's celebrated backing group Double Trouble) among others.

"I'm A Bluesman" was a question of finding the time and right material, he says. The 13-track collection includes three tunes by his friend and 2nd guitarist Paul Nelson, who writes with Winter's bassist Scott Spray. They collaborated on the prison-themed "Shakedown", a relationship-gone-bad song titled "Pack Your Bags" and the album's title track, which Nelson describes as a Johnny Winter biography set to music. "I wanted to write a song about his life, who he is, and what he represents to other musicians. I'm really proud that when he heard the song he said I'd gotten it right."

Winter also opted to record two new songs by producer, Hambridge, "Cheatin' Blues" and the first album single, Lone Wolf." Johnny and his players cut the tracks for "I'm A Bluesman" at several studios in New England, where Winter makes his home these days. But Winter remains a native Texan, born and bred in Beaumont, the town where the famous Spindletop gusher came in to kick off the "black gold" rush in 1901.

Growing up in rough-and-tumble town populated by oilfield wildcatters and shipyard workers, he spent long hours listening to a local deejay named J.P. Richardson - The Big Bopper of "Chantilly Lace" fame - and became hooked on 50's rock & roll. He formed his first band, Johnny and the Jammers, in 1959 at the age of 15, with his 12-year-old brother Edgar on keyboards.

Racial tensions in Beaumont were still high in those days. The town had been side to one of the worst race riots in Texas history just nine months before Johnny's birth. Mobs wandered the streets, businesses burned, martial law went into effect, and more than 2,000 uniformed National Guardsmen and Texas Rangers sealed off the town from the rest of the world until tempers cooled. Despite the brutal legacy, Johnny remembers never hesitating as a kid to venture into black neighborhoods to hear and play music.

Looking back, he believes people in the black community knew that he was sincere, that he was genuinely possessed by the blues. "Nothing ever happened tome. I went to black clubs all the time, and nobody ever bothered me. I always felt welcome." He also became friends with Clarence Garlow, a deejay at the black radio station KJET in Beaumont. Who opened Winter's eye's and ears to rural blues and Cajun music. Clarence, who recorded for the swamp boogie specialty label Goldband, KRCO, Frolic, Diamond, Moon-Lite, Hall-Way and other regional labels.

There's a famous story about a time in 1962 when Johnny and his brother went to see B.B. King at a Beaumont club called the Raven. The only whites in the crowd, they no doubt stood out. But Johnny already had his chops down and wanted to play with the revered B.B."I was about 17," Johnny remembers, "and B.B. didn't want to let me on stage at first. He asked me for a union card, and I had one. Also I kept sending people over to ask him to let me play. Finally, he decided that there enough people who wanted to hear me that, no matter if I was good or not, it would be worth it to let me on stage. He gave me his guitar and let me play. I got standing ovation, and he took his guitar back!"

Winter's big breakthrough came a few years later in 1968 when Rolling Stone writers Larry Sepulvado and John Burks featured him in a piece on the Texas Music scene, which prompted a bidding war among labels that Columbia eventually won.

Johnny's self-titled 1969 disc announced loudly that there was a new guitar-slinger on the new national scene. The disc included audacious covers such blues classics as B.B. King's "Be Careful with a Fool," Sonny Boy Williamson II's "Good Morning Little School Girl," Robert Johnson's "When You Got a Good Friend" and fellow Texan Lightin' Hopkins' "Back Door Friend." It also featured two prime original Winter songs, "Dallas"and the controversial "I'm Yours and I'm Hers," that went into heavy rotation on FM underground radio.

The album peaked at No.24 on the billboard chart and was promptly followed by Second Winter later that same year. Looking back, writer Cub Koda described the period as one when "Straight out of Texas with a hot trio, Winter made blues-rock music for the angels." That trio, by the way, included bassist Tommy Shannon who would go on to be part of SRV's Double Trouble and drummer Uncle John Turner.

Winter stayed with Columbia and it's boutique Blue Sky label for more than a decade, turning out such well-received platters as "Johnny Winter And" (1970), "Still Alive and Well" (1973) and "John Dawson Winter III" (1974). He also helped to introduce blues giant Muddy Waters to another generation of listeners by producing and playing guitar on the Grammy-winning "Hard Again" (1977), as well as the Grammy-nominated "I'm Ready" (1978), Muddy "Mississippi Waters Live" (1979) and "King Bee" (1981). The collaborations were so successful that Waters took to referring to Johnny as his "adopted son"!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A LOOK BACK

John Dawson Winter III is born in Beaumont, Texas on Febrary 23rd. His brother Edgar is born three years later.

1953 - 1959

Johnny begins playing clarinet at age five; switches to ukelele and then guitar a few years later. Performing with his younger brother Edgar as a duo in an Everly Brothers vein, the Winters win a talent contest and appear on local television shows.

The Winter brothers travel to New York to audition for Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour. Soon thereafter, they receive their first taste of rock 'n' roll. The Winter brothers gain regional notoriety with the singles "School Day Blues" and "You Know I Love You" released on Houston-based Dart Records. During this time Johnny begins frequenting all black blues clubs and over the years he sits in with such heroes as Muddy Waters, BB King, and Bobby Bland.

At age 14, Johnny forms his first band, Johnny and the Jammers, with Edgar on piano.

1962 - 1965

Johnny cuts singles as a leader and sideman for regional labels such as Kroc, Frolic, Diamond, Goldband, Jin, and Todd. In 1963, he moves to Chicago to check out the blues scene but winds up playing twist clubs. He returns to Beaumont and records "Eternally," a pop flavored number with horn arrangements by Edgar. The single is licensed by Atlantic Records and becomes a hit in the Texas/Louisiana region.

1965 - 1967

Johnny gigs relentlessly throughout the deep South, both with his own band (alternately known as The Cyrstaliers and It and Them) and in a band with Edgar (Black Plague).

After two and a half years of barnstorming, Johnny settles in Houston.

Surveying the Texas music scene, Rolling Stone magazine dubs Johnny Winter the hottest item outside Janis Joplin. The article creates a flood of interest in The Progressive Blues Experiment, an album of straight blues recorded by Winter's trio with bassist Tommy Shannon and drummer uncle John Turner, released nationally by Imperial.

1968 - 1974

Signed to a much bally-hooed contract with Columbia Records, Johnny's scorching 1968 debut album Johnny Winter leads a steady stream of hard-hitting blues-rock albums, including Second Winter (1969), Johnny Winter (1970), Still Alive and Well (1973) and Saints and Sinners (1974).

1974 - 1977

Winter joins CBS Records affiliate Blue Sky and releases John Dawson Winter III (1974). Other Blue Sky gems include Captured Live (1976) and his acclaimed 1977 album Nothin But The Blues, which features Winter accompanied by Muddy Waters' band.

1977 - 1980

Fulfilling a dream, Winter begins working with blues guitarist Muddy Waters. During the ensuing years they collaborate on a series of classic Blue Sky albums. Winter produces and plays on Waters' Grammy-winning comeback album Hard Again, Grammy-winning I'm Ready (1978), Grammy-winning Muddy Mississippi Waters Live (1979) and King Bee (1980).

1984 - 1986

Guitar Slinger, Winter's Grammy-nominated 1984 Alligator Records debut, ends a four-year recording hiatus and ushers in a new creative groove. His Alligator label output continues with the Grammy-nominated Serious Business (1985), Third Degree (1986) and producing/performing on Harmonica Sonny Terry's Think I Got The Blues.

The Winter of '88 on the MCA-distributed Voyager label shows Winter experimenting with a more contemporary flavored sound. Johnny is inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame.

Winter returns to his blues roots with a vengeance. His Grammy-nominated Let Me In marks a powerful debut on the Pointblank label. This CD boasted guest appearances by Dr. John and Albert Collins. Produced by Dick Shurman, the disc featured the memorable "Illustrated Man," a song by the Nashville team of Fred James and Mary-Ann Brandon chronicling Johnny?s well-tattooed torso. Other tracks include Winter?s own title tune and his equally stand-out "If You Got a Good Woman," as well as Dr. John?s "You Lie Too Much" with the good doctor on ivories.

Brandishing a tongue-in-cheek title and wicked no-frills blues, Hey Where's Your Brother?, Winter's sophomore Pointblank release earns him another Grammy nomination.

Winter performs on Highway 61 Revisited, a highlight of Bob Dylan's 30th anniversary tribute released by Columbia Records on CD and video.

Live in New York City '97, Winter's third Pointblank record, offers a scorching collection of concert favorites. The first album of new Winter material in five years. Live in NYC '97 was recorded at New York's Bottom Line in April 1997. The songs were selected by members of Winter's fan club. The entire album is intended as a gesture of gratitude by Winter to his many fans worldwide.

This Grammy nominated disc titled "I'm A Bluesman" released Virgin Records, adds to Johnny's Texas-sized reputation. For this release, Johnny again paired with his longtime producer Dick Shurman (Robert Cray, Albert Collins, Roy Buchanan), as well as Tom Hambridge (Susan Tedeschi, George Thorogood). Backing him on this disc is his scorching road-tested touring band of ace harmonica man James Montgomery, guitarist Paul Nelson who co -penned the title track, bassist Scott Spray and drummer Wayne June, Guest appearances feature such friends as keyboardist Reese Wynans (from Stevie Ray Vaughan's celebrated backing group Double Trouble) among others.

W.C. Handy Blues Awards. Johnny Nominated for W.C. Handy award for "Second Winter Legacy Edition".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The future
The Texas guitar tradition runs deep. A gutsy school of blues playing, marked by thick tones, aggressive attack and tons of technique, all delivered in a flamboyant, swaggering style that is endemic to the Lone Star State. From T-Bone Walker and Clarence Gatemouth Brown on through Albert Collins and Freddie King, Billy Gibbons and the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, the tradition of the Texas guitar slinger has lived on. The one name that ranks at the top of that exclusive list is Johnny Winter, an international ambassador for rocking Texas blues and still going strong!

18th November 2006 11:58 AM
mrhipfl saw him at the Tampa Bay blues festival last May. He looked terrible. He was extremely skinny and looked sick. It was dead quiet the moment he came on because everyone was shocked. Once he started playing, though, oh MAN he was good!Gonna see him at the state theatre in December again if I can.
18th November 2006 12:43 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
saw him at the Tampa Bay blues festival last May. He looked terrible. He was extremely skinny and looked sick. It was dead quiet the moment he came on because everyone was shocked. Once he started playing, though, oh MAN he was good!Gonna see him at the state theatre in December again if I can.

We are in!! Very excited, not all that familar with him. Saw Ratdog at Jannus last night. Nice Show!
18th November 2006 03:56 PM
Lavendar Put your daNCIN shoes On Johnny Winters Rocks! *****
18th November 2006 11:29 PM
Martha I'm a huge fan...would love to see him.

Have a blast!
19th November 2006 07:35 AM
2120SMA Johnny is my second all time favorite gutarsist behind Keith. I've been a fan since he first hit it big. My wife and I went to see him at the Showbox theater in Seattle in 1999. I was shocked to see the physical shape he was in. It was like watching a ghost. Every once in a while his playing would rise to the occasion but his voice was translucent. We went to see him earlier this month at the Triple Door in Seattle. I'd heard he was in better physical shape but I never imagined he would ever regain any of the magic he used to have. He singing was good but the growl he once possessed is almost gone forever. His guitar playing was great though. I only wish I could witness Keith making a comback as startling as this.
My wife met Reah Rolfe who is the Pesident of the Washintom Blues Society in the bathroom after the show. She told my wife she was going to interview Johnny and to come out to his trailer. My wife meet Johnny and he was very gracious and signed a picture for her. We saw him again a couple of nights later at a resteraunt in Port Townsend. He was spectacular! He Played the same oncore {Highway 61} but with so much passion my wife said she'd just had a religious experiance. The last time I felt this much emotion was when Keith played Gimme Shelter on the 1993 tour. Do not miss Johnny if he hits your town!
2120sma
19th November 2006 10:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
saw him at the Tampa Bay blues festival last May. He looked terrible. He was extremely skinny and looked sick. It was dead quiet the moment he came on because everyone was shocked.

Being a Living Legend takes it toll.
19th November 2006 10:26 AM
mojoman
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Being a Living Legend takes it toll.

he is a lucky to be living legend
19th November 2006 10:42 AM
Chuck I knew I was hooked for life when I heard the first few seconds of "I'm Yours and I'm Hers" from his self-titled album.

He truly is one of the greatest blues-rock guitarists of all time.
19th November 2006 11:04 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Chuck wrote:
He truly is one of the greatest blues-rock guitarists of all time.

You betcha. Along with class and grace..
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
19th November 2006 11:50 AM
Factory Girl I am a Huge Johnny Winter fan. I saw him at the State Theatre in Sweet VA a few years back. He was very frail physically. Is this the same State Theatre that he's playing in Dec?

Btw, I saw Edgar Winter & Rick Derringer a few years back on my Bday! Edgar's style is a bit cosmic for me, but I loved Rick Derringer, who is a true gentleman!

ROck & Roll Hoochie Koo!
19th November 2006 02:08 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I am a Huge Johnny Winter fan. I saw him at the State Theatre in Sweet VA a few years back. He was very frail physically. Is this the same State Theatre that he's playing in Dec?

Btw, I saw Edgar Winter & Rick Derringer a few years back on my Bday! Edgar's style is a bit cosmic for me, but I loved Rick Derringer, who is a true gentleman!

ROck & Roll Hoochie Koo!

Yeah I love Rick Derringer too. I have a live cd of him & edgar in Japan. I heard rick is making bluegrass records or something like that these days.
20th November 2006 01:24 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:

Yeah I love Rick Derringer too. I have a live cd of him & edgar in Japan. I heard rick is making bluegrass records or something like that these days.

I think Rick lives somewhere in my Neck of the woods. Last year he performed here in St. Pete during 1st Friday. Every 1st Friday of the month, Central Ave is blocked off and they have a little Jazz concert in the street. Rick did some of his classics, but they reworked a Jazzier (word?).
20th November 2006 05:51 PM
Brainbell Jangler Never had the pleasure of seeing him live, but I've been a fan since 1970. His version of JJF on "Johnny Winter And" is my favorite cover of a Stones song.

Not surprised that he didn't get hassled when he visited black clubs in the early 60s. I mean, that cat is so white he IS black.
20th November 2006 06:15 PM
guitarman53 "Johnny Winter And" live is one of my all time favorite live recordings.
20th November 2006 06:44 PM
mojoman
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
"Johnny Winter And" live is one of my all time favorite live recordings.

i dig it too but my favorite disc is second winter check out the recently released expanded version with a royal albert hall set from 1970 on it.
20th November 2006 07:00 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I saw him in what probably is his shortest gig ever. First we was booked to play in "Hacienda de Temixco" in 1977 in the State of Morelos about an hour from Mexico City but the show was cancelled the very same day and it was one of the most infamous collective drug-bust in the history of Rock in Mexico, then it was re-schedules in Pachuca in the State of Hidalgo, also about an hour from Mexico City and the show laste a couple of songs when a guy threw an empty bootle of booze to the stage, the show was immediately cancelled so it lasted a song and a half.

Johnny Winter is one of the best! I have a lot of his albums including "2nd Winter" the one with three-sides only LOL and of course all of him with Muddy Waters.

To honor this thread I'm going to upload a video of Johnny playing Jumping Jack Flash live
20th November 2006 07:13 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
"Johnny Winter And" live is one of my all time favorite live recordings.

I actually have this album. Still sounds good scrathes and all. Is it out on CD?
20th November 2006 07:17 PM
nanatod
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I saw him in what probably is his shortest gig ever.

I saw him in an even shorter gig. In the early 1980's Willie Dixon was playing Chicagofest when it was still on Navy Pier. After a couple of songs, Willie brought out his special guests for the night -- Memphis Slim (on piano) and Johnny Winter. I think they did one song together, and that was it (I don't remember what song it was).

Several years later, after Chicagofest was dissolved, Willie Dixon played the Chicago Blues Festival. He and the Big Three opened for Chuck Berry. Because I had seen Berry four times when I lived in St. Louis, I left when Willie's set was done. As everyone knows, Berry brought out Keith Richards to jam with him (Berry) during his (Berry's) set.
20th November 2006 07:29 PM
mojoman
quote:
I saw him in what probably is his shortest gig ever. First we was booked to play in "Hacienda de Temixco" in 1977 in the State of Morelos about an hour from Mexico City but the show was cancelled the very same day and it was one of the most infamous collective drug-bust in the history of Rock in Mexico, then it was re-schedules in Pachuca in the State of Hidalgo, also about an hour from Mexico City and the show laste a couple of songs when a guy threw an empty bootle of booze to the stage, the show was immediately cancelled so it lasted a song and a half.

Johnny Winter is one of the best! I have a lot of his albums including "2nd Winter" the one with three-sides only LOL and of course all of him with Muddy Waters.

To honor this thread I'm going to upload a video of Johnny playing Jumping Jack Flash live

didnt know that mr winter was involved in the biggest rock and roll bust in mexico!!! williamtic in eastern connecticut near where he lives is a hotbed of illicit activity. he did a free show on july 4th a couple years back. its always great to see him.
20th November 2006 07:44 PM
Nellcote This is the John Dawson Winter III I recall.
Last time I saw him in concert was Music Hall (now Wang Center) in Bahston, spring of 1976, Foghat opened.
It was right around the time Captured Live was released.
It was one of the best shows in the day.
This clip, from 1979,does not get going until about 1.22..

[Edited by Nellcote]
20th November 2006 08:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Muddy Waters & Johnny Winter - Going Down Slow at the Chicago Blues Fest 1981

20th November 2006 08:11 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This picture of Johnny has been here at Rocks Off since 1999

This is him during a jam at Jimi's wake on October 1, 1970, with John Hammond, Buddy Miles, Noel Redding and Jimi's brother Leon (the one who was recently visited by Jimi LOL)
20th November 2006 08:34 PM
Play With Fire
I saw Johnny several times in the '70's, 80's and 90's. He was always my all-time guitar hero, until I saw him a few years ago. It was a sad. He was very sick and frail, he had to have his guitar brought out to him, and his voice and playing was pathetic. I hear he's making a comeback, I hope so. Are there any recent clips of him?

Here's a classic blast from the past- 1974

20th November 2006 08:41 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What a smoking version of Jumping Jack Flash! Better than the one I was about to upload! Thanks "play with fire"!!
20th November 2006 09:42 PM
Nellcote JDW III from Rockpalast '79

20th November 2006 09:44 PM
Nellcote Let us not forget, he was at Max Yasgur's farm...

21st November 2006 12:12 AM
Kilroy I saw brother Edgar Two Years ago with Rick Derringer and Steppenwolf, A great Show' had great pictures and lost them to computer failure. Thank you Ten Thousand Motels for a great write up on a great rock n roller
[Edited by Kilroy]
21st November 2006 09:53 AM
nanatod
quote:
Muddy Waters & Johnny Winter - Going Down Slow at the Chicago Blues Fest 1981

Your caption is WRONG. The Chicago Blues Festival did not exist until 1984.
21st November 2006 10:22 AM
guitarman53 He's one person who's mainly played a "Gibson Firebird" in the 60's, Brian & Keith used to play this model.
The clip from Woodstock is great, I heard it mention that he just woke up & all of a sudden he's playing in front of a million people.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)