ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Panathinaikos Stadium - Athens, Greece - 17th April 1967
Last tour performance of Brian Jones
With thanks to Fotini and Irina... BTW, Happy birthday Fotini!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: In your country, who's the best group? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
November 17th, 2004 11:10 PM
telecaster For me it is the Mariachi band at my buddy Jorges' wedding
a couple of weeks ago in Chicago. Outstanding.

And the smooth jazz playing on the "Weather Channel"

In other words, not much going on in the U.S.A.

November 17th, 2004 11:24 PM
stonedinaustralia i agree with corgi - best band going around here at the moment is probably Powderfinger

other greats through the years

The Easybeats

The Loved Ones

radio birdman

the saints

The Birthday Party/ Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

November 17th, 2004 11:28 PM
not bound to please
quote:
telecaster wrote:
For me it is the Mariachi band at my buddy Jorges' wedding
a couple of weeks ago in Chicago. Outstanding.

Do they play that Mexican resturant in Glenview on Waukegan Rd on Friday nights?

If so - they rock!

November 17th, 2004 11:29 PM
gypsy Do they play at Case Gallardo's on Thursday nights?
November 17th, 2004 11:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl (T)he last couple of years I've spent a lot of time in Mexico, and believe me there's more guitar players down there per square inch than there is even in Rock and Roll Land. (laughs) I mean, EVERYBODY plays bloody guitar and they're all damn good at it.
- Keith Richards, 1986

http://www.timeisonourside.com/mexico.html
November 17th, 2004 11:33 PM
gypsy Charo is a good guitar player.
November 17th, 2004 11:36 PM
Ursus*Horribilis USA-Pearl Jam.
November 17th, 2004 11:45 PM
telecaster
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
(T)he last couple of years I've spent a lot of time in Mexico, and believe me there's more guitar players down there per square inch than there is even in Rock and Roll Land. (laughs) I mean, EVERYBODY plays bloody guitar and they're all damn good at it.
- Keith Richards, 1986

Voodoo, I have no doubt and agree with Keith, some of the greatest guitar players I have ever heard come from Mexico
and I as a player myself I am envious

I want to, no, need to learn that style

November 17th, 2004 11:47 PM
glencar USA - Springsteen
November 18th, 2004 01:10 AM
gorda �Voodoo!

�Se te olvido?

�MANA!

November 18th, 2004 01:14 AM
gorda
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
(T)he last couple of years I've spent a lot of time in Mexico, and believe me there's more guitar players down there per square inch than there is even in Rock and Roll Land. (laughs) I mean, EVERYBODY plays bloody guitar and they're all damn good at it.
- Keith Richards, 1986

Did he really say that? What a nice thing to say.

My father, my uncles, and one aunt and my younger brother play the guitar. But, it's just for fun.

I wonder how come I never picked it up? It's not like I didn't have the opportunity.
November 18th, 2004 01:17 AM
gorda
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Charo is a good guitar player.

Charo is not Mexican, she is from Spain.

And please, don't say, "Same difference." (That is what one guy told me when I told him that I wasn't Spanish.)
November 18th, 2004 02:06 AM
gypsy I thought that was Puerto Ricans and Cubans?
November 18th, 2004 02:40 AM
FotiniD Well, it depends! On Greece, the most popular music at the time seems to be this weird mixture of pop, bouzouki, synths and eastern sound It sucks!!!

But there are some good things going on as well. From the past, I would say Pavlos Sidiropoulos and his band, who were probably the best thing that happened in Greek rock music.

Bands don't seem to have a bright future in Greece - noticing the above trend of solo big-star eastern pop. You get some great ones though, like Ypogeia Revmata, Tripes and Xilina Spathia, which unfortunately disbanded. (It becomes a habit!!! All bands in Greece are breaking up lately! ) And all in all, the most popular band in Greece (and my personal favorite) were/are Pix Lax

They have officialy and unofficialy broken up quite many times but despite all that, I love the damn band. They've drawn the largest crowds a greek band has ever managed to draw in gigs and they've been around for 15 years. I can't quite describe the kind of music they're playing, cause it ranges from soft ballads to rock tunes and from folk experimenting (at least in their earlier records) to soft rock, but all in all it's very interesting and lovely. And the lyrics are poetic!

In their last record they had lots of guests singing with them, among them Eric Burdon! He also played live a couple of times with them... I nearly lost my mind

Not to mention they've done a cover of Satisfaction and their bassist often sings Dead Flowers on stage

Got to love them!
[Edited by FotiniD]
November 18th, 2004 04:33 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Ursus*Horribilis wrote:
USA-Pearl Jam.

You need to get out more.

Check out Tom Russell next time he passes thrugh your area - he lives almost right next door to you.

November 30, 2004
TUCSON, ARIZONA
The Boondocks Lounge
3306 North 1st Ave.
520-690-0091

December 1, 2004
CAVE CREEK, ARIZONA
Cave Creek
6033 E. Cave Creek Rd.
888-512-7469

December 2, 2004
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
Acoustic Music San Diego
4650 Mansfield St.
AcousticMusicSanDiego.com
619-303-8176

December 4, 2004
MONTERREY, CALIFORNIA
Monterrey Poetry & Music Festival
Monterrey Conference Center at Fisherman's Wharf

December 5, 2004
GROVELAND, CALIFORNIA
Iron Door
18761 Main Street
Tickets $16/$18 209-962-5947
7:30 p.m. show
[email protected]

December 9, 2004
NEW CASTLE, CALIFORNIA
Constable Jack's
515 Main St.
916-663-9385

December 11, 2004
SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA
Kuumbawa Jazz Center
320 Cedar St.
831-479-9421

December 12, 2004
REDWOOD CITY, CALIFORNIA
Little Fox
2209 Broadway
650-369-4119

January 26-30, 2005
ELKO, NEVADA
Elko Cowboy Poetry & Music Festival

March 4, 2005
COLUMBUS, OHIO
Columbus Music Hall
734 Oak Street
614-462-2636

March 12, 2005
CARSON CITY, NEVADA
Cowboy Jubilee
775-883-1532
November 18th, 2004 06:09 AM
Jair
quote:
erikjjf wrote:
The Hives maybe???

Why not The Cardigans? Love Nina Persson!
November 18th, 2004 07:02 AM
Jumacfly In France ...well Noir Desir, mano negra, manu chao, Dyonisos,Didier Super ....
in fact i dont listen many french music sorry
November 18th, 2004 07:06 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
In France ...well Noir Desir, mano negra, manu chao, Dyonisos,Didier Super ....
in fact i dont listen many french music sorry

Manu Chao!!!! I've got some, err, not so good memories from his gigs in Greece, lol
November 18th, 2004 07:14 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Manu Chao!!!! I've got some, err, not so good memories from his gigs in Greece, lol

what happened my dear??
November 18th, 2004 07:28 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

what happened my dear??

Plain disaster
I went to the gig with a guy I was crazy for and one of my friends. Them two danced to Manu Chao, got drunk and hooked up that very night Good gig!!!

But that was a long time ago It's just that every time I hear the words "Manu Chao" I get the distinct urge to, ehm, personally thank him for the great gig, lol.
November 18th, 2004 07:42 AM
caro Ouch! Well I'll leave Manu Chao out of my list of favorites, then!

Same thing as Ju : I don't listen to a lot of french music. I'd say La Tordue (french chanson+rock, no need to check it out if you don't speak a bit of french because the lyrics are the best part of their music), and Gnawa Diffusion (gnawa+reggae, great musicians). Some rappers have done some cool stuff too : NTM and Assassin for example, but I don't know their music that well.
November 18th, 2004 08:16 PM
corgi37 Hey, SIA!!! I forgot the Angels! I never liked them at all, but they had a pretty good career. You and i know the signifigance of "No way, get fucked, fuck off! hahahaha.

Also, i guess Daddy Cool. Eagle Rock is our national anthem, aint it? Um, no, i guess Khe Sanh is.

Sherbert? Nah, they were pop.

Chain???

Oh, what about Crowded House? I didnt mind them at all. They were 2/3 Aussie.

But, what i find so cool is, the complete disintergration of bands like the Vines. I love seeing shit like that happen to all those phony faker flavour of the month bands. Didnt NME call them the greatest band ever??? Man, i love that NME.

Who knows about Jet?? I forgot about them too. If they can manage a successful 2nd album, they could be around for ages.
November 18th, 2004 08:21 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Well, it depends! On Greece, the most popular music at the time seems to be this weird mixture of pop, bouzouki, synths and eastern sound It sucks!!!

But there are some good things going on as well. From the past, I would say Pavlos Sidiropoulos and his band, who were probably the best thing that happened in Greek rock music.

Bands don't seem to have a bright future in Greece - noticing the above trend of solo big-star eastern pop. You get some great ones though, like Ypogeia Revmata, Tripes and Xilina Spathia, which unfortunately disbanded. (It becomes a habit!!! All bands in Greece are breaking up lately! ) And all in all, the most popular band in Greece (and my personal favorite) were/are Pix Lax

They have officialy and unofficialy broken up quite many times but despite all that, I love the damn band. They've drawn the largest crowds a greek band has ever managed to draw in gigs and they've been around for 15 years. I can't quite describe the kind of music they're playing, cause it ranges from soft ballads to rock tunes and from folk experimenting (at least in their earlier records) to soft rock, but all in all it's very interesting and lovely. And the lyrics are poetic!

In their last record they had lots of guests singing with them, among them Eric Burdon! He also played live a couple of times with them... I nearly lost my mind

Not to mention they've done a cover of Satisfaction and their bassist often sings Dead Flowers on stage

Got to love them!
[Edited by FotiniD]

What about Yanni???
November 19th, 2004 02:44 AM
FotiniD
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:

What about Yanni???

Well, to be honest Yanni is not so big in Greece as abroad
He did have some success around 1994-95 but that's all there was!
November 19th, 2004 08:14 AM
Madafaka Voodoo: What about MOLOTOV?

Angiegirl: I dind't know that DJ Tiesto and Junkie XL are from Holland! I have seen them live in Buenos Aires and they're great!

In my country, the most popular bands are: Bersuit Vergarabat, Los Piojos, La Renga, Ratones Paranoicos, Babasonicos, Patricio Rey Y Sus Redonditos De Ricota (aka Los Redondos), Las Pelotas, Divididos and Pappo.

The best players IMO are: Patricio Rey Y Sus Redonditos De Ricota (aka Los Redondos), Las Pelotas and Divididos.

I like a band called La Vela Puerca, but they are from Uruguay.
November 19th, 2004 08:17 AM
J.J.Flash Hey hermano I like Sui Generis. Charly Garcia was sorta Keith Richards.....God bless him
November 19th, 2004 10:29 AM
Madafaka Yes! You're right, but I didn't list him because I don't like that kind of music, so I didn't remember

BTW, you got Caetano.
Did you heard Caetano's cover of "Let It Bleed"?
November 19th, 2004 11:26 AM
J.J.Flash No Max...haven't heard Caetano's version yet.....

Oh yeah and if Bono is a twat.... Caetano is 10 times a twat......
November 19th, 2004 11:55 AM
Madafaka And you got Araketu, Tribalistas and a lot of Axe music!
OMG! I think I love your country. And your girls, of course!
November 19th, 2004 08:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
The best players IMO are: Patricio Rey Y Sus Redonditos De Ricota (aka Los Redondos

Amen Madafaka! Amen...
Page: 1 2 3