ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

MGM Grand - Las Vegas ,NV - 11th November 2006
Đ Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keef solo albums VS Mick solo albums Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th November 2006 07:42 PM
real wild child Keithīs albums are very good,Main Offender is a classic!!! Itīs a shame he did only two records...I donīt like Mickīs solos (Wandering Spirit is a pretty good album) maybe just a few songs...Keith did those albums taking his heart out with no expectations he only wanted to play music...and Mick wanted to have his five minutes of fame in rock and roll for being Mick Jagger and not for being the singer of the Rolling Stones...Whatīs your opinion?

[Edited by real wild child]
[Edited by real wild child]
10th November 2006 08:08 PM
StarvinMarvin Both of Keith's albums are good. Not great, mind you, but better than most of the Stones 80's albums. In my opinion, the best Stones solo album is Jagger's Wandering Spirit. It is the only Jagger solo album that seems to be made for the sole purpose of making a good rock 'n roll record, as opposed to his other albums, which were feeble attempts to keep up with times. However, I do think that Goddess In The Doorway isn't as bad as many claim it to be. It's got some great stuff on it, but you gotta sit thru crap like that godawful MOR Rob Thomas duet to get to it.
10th November 2006 08:17 PM
MidnightRambler Mick's "Don't Call Me Up" on Goddess is what Keith's "Hate It When You Leave" is to Main Offender.
10th November 2006 09:20 PM
Mel Belli There's a very good version of "Goddess" somewhere, most likely on somebody's computer hard-drive and labled "Outtakes."
10th November 2006 09:56 PM
quackenbush
quote:
MidnightRambler wrote:
Mick's "Don't Call Me Up" on Goddess is what Keith's "Hate It When You Leave" is to Main Offender.

I love "Hate It When You Leave" and I think it is more like "Beast of Burden."
11th November 2006 02:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I prefer Keith's solo records but those two need other. More than most musical partnerships.
12th November 2006 06:34 AM
egon Keith = fantastic
Mick = not so fantastic.
spirit is quite good,
though not really standing the test of time.
Very 90s
12th November 2006 06:50 AM
maumau no contest
TIC is a classic
the rest is average to mediocre to crap (MO included)
12th November 2006 07:28 AM
Jumacfly Wandering spirit is a masterpiece. Jagger's voice is at the top.
Main Offender is so Keith: Soul and Riffs!!
those 2 records turn Voodoo Lounge into a very average record.
12th November 2006 04:44 PM
BILL PERKS mick's best songs
evening gown
dont call me up
wandering spirirt
too far gone
old habits die hard
out of focus
secrets
just another night
party doll
say you will

12th November 2006 04:50 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
mick's best songs
evening gown
dont call me up
wandering spirirt
too far gone
old habits die hard
out of focus
secrets
just another night
party doll
say you will

I do not particularly care for your avatar
12th November 2006 05:39 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Joey wrote:

I do not particularly care for your avatar

WHY?
12th November 2006 08:52 PM
Bloozehound IMO Mick's got a couple of good songs, but Keith's got 2 good records, so there
12th November 2006 09:14 PM
Bitch I like all of KEEF and MICK's solo efforts very much, but RONNIE'S solos are better than either of the Glimmer Twins. IMO.
12th November 2006 09:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It's easy, in logical expression it's:

[Mick + Keith] >> [Mick or Keith]

Alone the chemistry is lost completly. The best solo albums are by Woody
12th November 2006 09:29 PM
Erik_Snow Ditto the Ronnie albums. His first 4 albums are the best Stones-solo-albums for me too.
16th November 2006 06:05 PM
no night together about albums: Ronnies I'v got my own album to do is great IMO.
far east man for instance, what a song.
best mick's solo tune: THROWAWAY, then just another night, god gave me everything i want.
shame there just one bridge in god gave me, the bridge is the hottest part of that good song
16th November 2006 06:49 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
no night together wrote:
about albums: Ronnies I'v got my own album to do is great IMO.
far east man for instance, what a song.
best mick's solo tune: THROWAWAY, then just another night, god gave me everything i want.
shame there just one bridge in god gave me, the bridge is the hottest part of that good song

God Gave Me is a great tune - it got serious play in the clubs when it first hit.

Keith's solo stuff is solid, Stonesy tunes - nothing great, just solid.

Wandering Spirit is a great album, with a nice mix of styles and Jaggers vocals were perhaps the best he has done on ANY album.

Woody's stuff always reminds me of Faces - a band that I would rate right up there with the best all time. They didn't have the cultural impact nor record breaking longevity of the Stones, but they sure put out some great garage-blues rock n roll and Woody and Rod were a great 1-2 punch.
16th November 2006 07:30 PM
_Boomy_ The one thing that pisses me off is that Mick didn't put "Blue" on GITTD. It should've been on it! I love that song...
16th November 2006 08:27 PM
gotdablouse Guess it wasn't "glossy" enough. Goddess would have been on par with WS had it been produced by Rick Rubin and had Jimmy Rip on guitar, who had the good sense of canning Matt Clifford on WS (except for some harpsichord on Angel I think.

Keith's albums are ok, but lack the "punch" that kept the Stones going for all these years, nothing really stands out except maybe "Words of Wonde" and "Hate It", stuff like "Rockawhile" is total garbage and "999" an extended jam.
16th November 2006 09:17 PM
texile keith is keith -
all groove and riffs....
wandering spirit is a great collection of SONGS....
it's better than ANYTHING the stones have done since undercover.
while keith needs mick to add that extra dimension, mick can create really great music when he's inspired.
just listen to too far gone from GITD or out of focus fromm WS and compare them to keith's solo output and you see the difference.
16th November 2006 09:40 PM
Soldatti Wandering Spirit and Main Offender are up there. Fantastic albums.
17th November 2006 12:18 AM
The Wick
quote:
texile wrote:
keith is keith -
all groove and riffs....
wandering spirit is a great collection of SONGS....
it's better than ANYTHING the stones have done since undercover.
while keith needs mick to add that extra dimension, mick can create really great music when he's inspired.
just listen to too far gone from GITD or out of focus fromm WS and compare them to keith's solo output and you see the difference.

Nicely put Texile. The only problem I have with Wandering Spirit is this is another one of those Mick screwing up the production and wanting to make it slick. Rubin wanted to make it more raw but Jagger wouldn't allow it. He does the same shite with Stones albums and She's the Boss could have been a great pop record had the production not been so awful. Primitive Cool has about 2-3 decent songs, the rest are horrid; same for Goddess I think.
17th November 2006 10:10 AM
no night together agree with queer peer about faces. they're great, probably in my top 5 of bands and artist, but -taste aside- they're so underrated.
Ronnies' I'got my own album sound like a top faces album and credits his contribution to the faces.
Now: you may take me for a lunatic but I have very contorted feelings about solo albums and artist.
I rate Keith one very much but for some reason I dont listen to the that much. On the other way I had my big share of Mick's She's the Boss though I find it good but not more. (by the way, when it comes to stone things I am a bit more keithish.)
17th November 2006 01:09 PM
Some Guy If the Stones recorded Talk is Cheap, it would have been huge!! Huge I tell ya.
17th November 2006 01:16 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
If the Stones recorded Talk is Cheap, it would have been huge!! Huge I tell ya.

It's a double-edged sword: Mick often improves Keith's stuff at the same time he brings his own excesses and bad taste.
17th November 2006 01:54 PM
texile
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

It's a double-edged sword: Mick often improves Keith's stuff at the same time he brings his own excesses and bad taste.

good point belli......

i agree with you wick,
but my point is that if you measure keith's best with jagger's best -
jagger comes out on top.
17th November 2006 01:55 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
texile wrote:

good point belli......

i agree with you wick,
but my point is that if you measure keith's best with jagger's best -
jagger comes out on top.

I disagree

17th November 2006 03:28 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
The Wick wrote:

Nicely put Texile. The only problem I have with Wandering Spirit is this is another one of those Mick screwing up the production and wanting to make it slick. Rubin wanted to make it more raw but Jagger wouldn't allow it. He does the same shite with Stones albums and She's the Boss could have been a great pop record had the production not been so awful. Primitive Cool has about 2-3 decent songs, the rest are horrid; same for Goddess I think.

I think that's backwards. The songs on "She's the Boss" were inherently band, with a couple exceptions; less knob-twiddling wouldn't have changed that. Conversely, I like most of the songs on PC but hate the way they were produced.

17th November 2006 03:37 PM
texile
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

I disagree

I loved talk is cheap...but keith is a master of the groove and that's a beautiful thing -
but jagger turns those grooves into real songs.
listen to any of the outtakes - there is main groove, riff - but the it doesn't take shape until jagger completes it.
i'm no solo-mick aplogist...she's the boss and primitive cool and gitd have some pretty low points....
but the best are superior to keith's solo efforts.
in fact, i keith would be the first to say that they need each other.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)