ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Point, Dublin - September 9, 2003
© 2003 Sally O'Sullivan
With thanks to Karl Wallace from MCD

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The (second) BEST double album! Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-15-03 04:44 PM
Zeeta OH yeah!!!!

You KNOW what it is London Calling - The Clash!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I'm just about to go out and I have the bastard on shuffle and "revolution rock" comes on - " and I'm so pliiled up that I rattle". These boys were genius! Joe RIP man.

Now TRain in Vain comes on!!!! These guys don't fuck about! "no way!" "did you liiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee when you spoke to me!" " Ineed new clothes, need somewhere to stay!"

I love it man! Can anyone else propose a second best double album?

RnR
11-15-03 04:58 PM
scratched James Brown - Live at the Apollo

"Owwwwwwww!!!!!"
11-15-03 05:06 PM
J.J.Flash Great question pal! I think "The Who - Tommy" is a good choice.....
11-15-03 05:12 PM
scratched Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

Zeeta, i know its a triple album but what do you think of Sandinista! by The Clash? It's a favorite of mine.
11-15-03 07:39 PM
sirmoonie Quadrophenia of course, but London Calling may be the greatest album ever. Even better than Exile on Main Street. The Clash did everything on London Calling, and it all worked.
11-15-03 08:05 PM
nankerphelge Love You Live
11-15-03 09:16 PM
LadyJane The best double album of all times....Hot Rocks!!

I know..compilations don't count. But, when you "discover" the Stones anywhere from '75-'85, it's the must have album to begin the "journey back in time".

Honorable mentions:
Exile
Tommy

LJ.
11-15-03 10:12 PM
StrangeSkies How 'bout Blonde on Blonde? I personally like London Calling better, but I was just surprised that Blonde wasn't mentioned yet...
11-15-03 11:36 PM
Gimme Shelter The Beatles White Album
11-15-03 11:57 PM
full moon Zeppelin= Physical Graffitti
11-16-03 12:50 AM
Mr T another vote for the white album
11-16-03 01:25 AM
Phog Blonde on Blonde - Dylan

Zen Arcade - Husker Du
11-16-03 02:01 AM
Prodigal Son Blonde on Blonde, London Calling, the White Album, Quadrophenia come to mind at the top of my list.
11-16-03 02:29 PM
SHINE A LIGHT LOVE YOU LIVE.
11-16-03 05:16 PM
scully HAS to be Blonde on Blonde, IMHO.
11-16-03 05:59 PM
Gazza I'd say the 2nd best double is..Exile On Main Street.

Blonde on Blonde shades it
11-16-03 06:03 PM
stewed & Keefed Exile
11-16-03 10:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I think and I'm sure many of you will kick me or give me a cyber spanking but the best double STUDIO album is "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

The best triple album is Joe's Garage

Trivia: What was the very first double album in the story of rock music (and probably of music)?
11-17-03 12:43 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy The White Album, though London Calling is basically The White Album of the punk movement. The Clash revisited and mourned the Beatles, then took what they were doing one step down the hard-rocking line. But I mean, I can hear McCartney singing "Train In Vain", just as easily as I can hear Lennon screaming "London Calling". The Clash did it incredibly well. The Beatles just did it first and best, I think.

Exile is in its own world, though. I think the White Album and Exile exist, like London Calling, on separate incomperable plateaus. How can you compare something as disjointed and sprawling as The White Album with something as brilliantly ramshackle as Exile? I think Calling falls somewhere in between the two, taking elements from both, and doing it in a fantastic manner... but in the end, for me, the White Album really had the edge.

Blonde On Blonde is brilliant, but I never really thought of it as a double album. It just seems like a longer Dylan album than usual, with the same sorts of songs. No 'double feel', just "the logical slight overextension from the lean Highway 61 and one-foot-in-the-door Bringing It All Back Home". There's some great stuff on there, and it was his last before "the accident", so he'd taken it as far as he could go before something had to give (John Wesley Harding).

Mmmm. Quadrophenia kicks Tommy's pansy art-house ass. To say nothing of the musical travesty Townshend made of it by putting it on Broadway and *changing the ending*.

Best Triple Album? Uhh... All Things Must Pass comes to mind...

-tSYX --- All things must pass away...
11-17-03 11:20 AM
scratched Derek & the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

Also, Voodoo Lounge was a double (vinyl anyway) album wasn't it?
11-17-03 11:25 AM
scratched
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Trivia: What was the very first double album in the story of rock music (and probably of music)?

Frank Zappa & the Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out!

One of the best aswell.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (also really good)
11-17-03 12:03 PM
Factory Girl LZ-Physical Grafitti

Dylan-Blonde On Blonde
11-17-03 02:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot What's the best double album of all time?

I don't know, but it is definately either EOMS, The Beatles, Blonde On Blonde, or London Calling. It would have to be the one that I'd be listening to at the time.
11-17-03 02:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I don't know, but it is definately either EOMS, The Beatles, Blonde On Blonde, or London Calling. It would have to be the one that I'd be listening to at the time.

You straights amuse me.
11-17-03 03:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Steve Earle is probably the best songwriter since Dylan. No wonder he takes himself so serioisly, which one shouldn't do no matter how good you are. LOL.
11-17-03 03:13 PM
glencar Exile & then Blonde On Blonde.
11-17-03 04:02 PM
FM Quadrophenia gets my vote as the best.

Then Exile.

Fraser
[Edited by FM]
[Edited by FM]
11-17-03 05:36 PM
T&A Gazza - you beat me to the punch:

1) Blonde on Blonde
2) Exile
3) White Album
11-17-03 06:19 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! The Grateful Dead- Europe 72'
Of course this is live so it really shouldn't be considered with studio albums, but it is the only one that comes to mind right now.
umm, let's see....
Pink Floyd- The Wall and Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Rust Never Sleeps, are pretty fucking good too!
11-17-03 06:37 PM
Some Guy KISS Alive and KISS Double Platinum.
Page: 1 2