ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Philips Arena, Atlanta, February 8, 2006
© Yokero Tuchiko with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Have the Stones ever recorded an album while on the road?....from Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th November 2007 05:28 AM
IanBillen
I wonder, if The Stones do tour Asia coming up as Mick is saying are on plans if they chose to record an album on the road?

Wonder what the result would be compared to writing/recording in their off time?

Does anyone know of the last time they tried that and the albums that they recorded while on the road if they have done this before and to what extent?

My guess is the seventies some time if that has occurred.

Ian
13th November 2007 05:46 AM
Zack Think Ian, back to 1995 . . . Stripped
13th November 2007 06:00 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Zack wrote:
Think Ian, back to 1995 . . . Stripped

Yes. But that was not a real "new" studio release in the sense I mean. I am talking brand new songs written and recorded that were never heard of before. Not songs we all knew that were re-recorded.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
13th November 2007 07:06 AM
Gazza Pretty much anything up to and including Between The Buttons

Consider the fact that in 1964 alone they played about 320 shows.
13th November 2007 07:29 AM
lotsajizz yeah...the Chess Sessions, LA, NY
13th November 2007 07:30 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Pretty much anything up to and including Between The Buttons

Consider the fact that in 1964 alone they played about 320 shows.

Yeah, 340 shows! Only about eight to ten songs per show though. Good point. anything after that or at least an album that was partially recorded on the road?

Ian
13th November 2007 07:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Yeah, 340 shows! Only about eight to ten songs per show though. Good point. anything after that or at least an album that was partially recorded on the road?

Ian

two shows a day, however

After that? No. Although albums like Sticky Fingers, Exile, Goats Head Soup and Black and Blue were started and finished either side of some touring activity.
13th November 2007 07:59 AM
Jumacfly yes they did.
ABB was recorded on the toilets road!
13th November 2007 08:24 AM
Some Guy I like to play Emotional Rescue when I am on the road.
13th November 2007 08:37 AM
M.O.W.A.T. How about Sticky Fingers? In Gimme Shelter, they show them at Muscle Shoals listening to playback of a couple of SF songs? They were on the 1969 tour then.
13th November 2007 11:22 AM
Highwire Rob Does being plugged into this count?

13th November 2007 11:31 AM
yellerstang They recorded some of the Sticky Finger stuff while on the road in 1969. Muscle Shoals. It's all documented on "Gimme Shelter", the documentary.
13th November 2007 11:32 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I like to play Emotional Rescue when I am on the road.

me too buddy...I love arriving at work while listening to this fantastic bass line
13th November 2007 11:46 AM
gimmekeef Given the lack of sales...unwillingness to play much at all live from ABB..I'm thinking there will be no more new releases....Plus they dont have a recording contract and usually labels want more than a "one-off" commitment.I know we all dream they have one last classic in them but that boat sailed in 70's......
13th November 2007 12:39 PM
Gazza
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
They recorded some of the Sticky Finger stuff while on the road in 1969. Muscle Shoals. It's all documented on "Gimme Shelter", the documentary.

yes and no

They did 3 days of sessions at Muscle Shoals in early December (in between the shows at West Palm Beach and Altamont) and whilst they cut songs which included Wild Horses, Brown Sugar and You Gotta Move, all of the released versions were from 1970.

If you count overdubs, they recorded some for No Security whilst in Paris to play a show there in July 1998. Well, keith did anyway
13th November 2007 01:41 PM
Some Guy
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Given the lack of sales...unwillingness to play much at all live from ABB..I'm thinking there will be no more new releases....Plus they dont have a recording contract and usually labels want more than a "one-off" commitment.I know we all dream they have one last classic in them but that boat sailed in 70's......

and then depression set in...
13th November 2007 02:56 PM
IanBillen The Rolling Stones are a fully functional band and very much like promote themselves as such.

All of them have stated they have "no plans what-so-ever" about retireing any time in the near future.

The fact is Keith and Ronnie say it is their opinion they will never stop as long as their health permits them. As well they enjoy the fact they are taking a Rock n Roll act where none has been before. Still very successful, active, and productive quite possibly into their elder years. They like the fact they did this, and plan to continue doing it.

YES. They will record a new album. YES they will tour again.
and YES they will look into signing another record contract with someone....

Yikes. Just listen up to them and those who surround them and the answer is easily presented to you time and time again...

One of these days when it is actually all over many will wake up and think...."hmmmmm.... why didn't I listen to them all along, and take it for what it is"

One of these days one of The Stones are going to actually respond to all this retiring chatter and say "how many times do we have to answer these questions about hanging it up, we are still here right....well then as long as we are it will be business as usual"

They are who they are and it is what it is. Beleive me if they were not into it they would of quit years back. Fuck they have been "old" and considered "up-there" forever now..They live to do it.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
13th November 2007 03:04 PM
gimmekeef Ian..if you had all the answers why ask the question?...Its all speculation but the signs sure dont point to a new era of creativity..hell I hope to be proven wrong...but cant see it...
13th November 2007 03:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
The Rolling Stones are a fully functional band and very much like promote themselves as such.

All of them have stated they have "no plans what-so-ever" about retireing any time in the near future.

The fact is Keith and Ronnie say it is their opinion they will never stop as long as their health permits them. As well they enjoy the fact they are taking a Rock n Roll act where none has been before. Still very successful, active, and productive quite possibly into their elder years. They like the fact they did this, and plan to continue doing it.

YES. They will record a new album. YES they will tour again.
and YES they will look into signing another record contract with someone....

Yikes. Just listen up to them and those who surround them and the answer is easily presented to you time and time again...

One of these days when it is actually all over many will wake up and think...."hmmmmm.... why didn't I listen to them all along, and take it for what it is"

One of these days one of The Stones are going to actually respond to all this retiring chatter and say "how many times do we have to answer these questions about hanging it up, we are still here right....well then as long as we are it will be business as usual"

They are who they are and it is what it is. Beleive me if they were not into it they would of quit years back. Fuck they have been "old" and considered "up-there" forever now..They live to do it.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

OK..knowing the Stones' age, health issues,lack of recording activity in recent years and declining sales, if you were a record label head, would YOU give them a deal for 2 or 3 new studio albums and a multi-million dollar advance?

What Keith or Ronnie 'say' is irrelevant. Ronnie isnt one of the band's two songwriters and Keith's writing contribution has slowed down to a trickle. Lets face it, theyre hardly going to say 'we're washed up and we wont make any new records because we're more concerned about nostalgia as are our audiences'. Keith even pointed out 3-4 years ago that there was litle likelihood of much in the way of future studio material. Is that the sort of quote you'd prefer to rely on, or do you actually still take some of the stuff they trot out at face value?

Who are the "those that surround them" you're suggesting we listen to? The anonymous insiders who were quoted in the press of late saying they wont tour again? You can be as selective as you wish about this to suit your own opinion.
13th November 2007 07:44 PM
andrews27
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Who are the "those that surround them" you're suggesting we listen to?

Chuck Leavell
13th November 2007 07:47 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
andrews27 wrote:

Chuck Leavell

Listen to Chuck?..he cant be mixed any lower for my taste...
13th November 2007 09:13 PM
pdog all their efforts should be focused on a comprehensive boxed set... PERIOD!!!
If they want to rock me with new stuff, work on 3 to 5 songs that are good, and realease that only, non of this filler crap and Jagger solo stuff we got on ABB.
14th November 2007 08:30 AM
JohnLeeHacker Personnaly, i prefer to them on stage with
songs they'd never played before than a new
album.
14th November 2007 11:06 AM
aladdinstory I do think the band has signed its last contract with a record label. Mick has always been adept at spotting a trend, jumping aboard and then tailoring the trend to his own needs be it musically like "Miss You", the trend being disco or concert sponsorship, Jovan in '81 and Bud in '89.

The band has already released a disc through Starbucks, and Madonna as well as the Eagles recent non-label distribution of current and future releases show the growing obsolence of the major labels.

So the next Stones release of recorded and/or live material will probably be distributed through a retail channel like Best Buy (like its recent two DVDs) and available for download electronically as well as possibly some kind of flashdrive format.

So IMHO the Stones will record again but they will never do another "album" in the sense we have been accustomed to in the past and they've signed their last label deal. It's a brave new world and it will be interesting to see where the Stones travel within that universe.
14th November 2007 12:01 PM
Gazza If they are to make more new music, I think you're probably correct.
14th November 2007 01:21 PM
gimmekeef Mick and Keith are too lazy to committ time to a box set concept...imagine though if a few of us were allowed access to the vaults and a year to put together a 4-5 Disc set of outttakes and soundboards..."The Rocks Off Collection".....I can hear the arguments now...Fuck off will ya Gazza... "Two Trains" is way too long for the single!....A nice dream anyway...
[Edited by gimmekeef]
14th November 2007 01:42 PM
Some Guy what is supposedly in the vaults?
14th November 2007 02:07 PM
Blowey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
what is supposedly in the vaults?

Open the vaults???

"YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"

|
|
|
|
|
V

D.J. Jazzy Blow!
[Edited by ss]
[Edited by Blowey]
14th November 2007 02:32 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Blowey wrote:

Open the vaults???

"YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"

|
|
|
|
|
V

D.J. Jazzy Blow!
[Edited by ss]
[Edited by Blowey]

Her vaults been open more often than Dick Cheneys Swiss Account
14th November 2007 02:37 PM
Blowey
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Her vaults been open more often than Dick Cheneys Swiss Account

You make Blowey giggle until a bicycle came shooting out m'butt!

SNAGGLE!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)