ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Baltimore MD First Mariner Center - 1st February 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SF Quake Return to archive Page: 1 2
31st October 2007 01:23 AM
pdog 5.6 tonight... nice little teaser, go up 1.0 and then youre talking scarey.
It amazes me how much the power really increases once you get over 6. Loma Prieta in 1989 was a 6.9, that's the one that ook down the freeway, knocked a secrion of the bridge down and delayed a world series.
31st October 2007 02:02 AM
sirmoonie Base 10. Logorithmic. Order of magnitude. Graph linearly. Slick stuff. Mind blowing. TI-30. See Napier. Shades of Newton. Shades of Leibniz.
31st October 2007 05:33 AM
Jumping Jack and you live there because?

31st October 2007 08:20 AM
WJ
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
and you live there because?

Yet the people who live in states that get tornadoes every year are amazed when one eventually takes their little trailer away and destroys their town.

31st October 2007 08:27 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl As my fav band from San Francisco used to sing

When the earth moves again my friend!
31st October 2007 09:16 AM
mojoman
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
As my fav band from San Francisco used to sing

poor grace..........
31st October 2007 02:59 PM
monkey_man It was the longest quake I have felt in my 17 years here. I actually had time to get to a doorway before it stopped. Usually I just have time to stand up and then it's over.
31st October 2007 03:14 PM
pdog
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
and you live there because?

the earth is finite, and you gotta pick a place.
31st October 2007 03:16 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
As my fav band from San Francisco used to sing

she built that city on rock and roll

(worst song EVER)

[Edited by Saint Sway]
31st October 2007 06:37 PM
Jumping Jack I find it interesting that no one wants to live next to a nuclear power plant but millions choose to live below sea level in New Orleans, in a SoCal tinder box, along fault lines, in coastal hurricane regions, and mid-west tornado zones. Go figure.
31st October 2007 07:31 PM
Throwaway PDog, you know when the new Ray Davies is out in the states?? iTunes had it then took it off, dont know whats up.
31st October 2007 07:38 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I find it interesting that no one wants to live next to a nuclear power plant but millions choose to live below sea level in New Orleans, in a SoCal tinder box, along fault lines, in coastal hurricane regions, and mid-west tornado zones. Go figure.

Don't forget to mention the city's that don't ration their water use in the face of overwhelming drought. . . see ATL
31st October 2007 11:22 PM
pdog
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I find it interesting that no one wants to live next to a nuclear power plant but millions choose to live below sea level in New Orleans, in a SoCal tinder box, along fault lines, in coastal hurricane regions, and mid-west tornado zones. Go figure.

... of all the things you name, a nuke plant is not natural, is it. The other things are. I find it interesting that you think people, who may be born somewhere, live there, especially if they are poor. They should just get off this planet, go somewhere else,, like planet nuke, where energy is cheap and abundant.
go figure?

31st October 2007 11:23 PM
Poplar
had just arrived at the Oakland airport from LA.
i didn't notice the initial wave people in San Jose described, but it was certainly rolling - and it lasted.
31st October 2007 11:28 PM
pdog
quote:
Poplar wrote:

had just arrived at the Oakland airport from LA.
i didn't notice the initial wave people in San Jose described, but it was certainly rolling - and it lasted.

why do we live here, we could live somewhere safe, like the mideast.
31st October 2007 11:44 PM
Poplar
quote:
pdog wrote:
why do we live here, we could live somewhere safe, like the mideast.

and to think, we're making it safer as we speak.

as for yesterday- i'll always have a good oakland airport story.
1st November 2007 12:01 AM
pdog
quote:
Poplar wrote:

and to think, we're making it safer as we speak.

as for yesterday- i'll always have a good oakland airport story.

I hate that airport, it needs good stories.
1st November 2007 02:08 AM
Poplar yeah - sadly it didn't collapse.
1st November 2007 05:09 AM
Jumping Jack The point is the odd way many people assess risk, what if anything they will do to avoid it, and what they choose to complain and protest about. Some people are proactive, some are not. Interesting that those who are the most irresponsible and most accepting of avoidable risk often expect others to cover their assumption of risk by government redistribution of wealth.

Government should be more concerned with zoning and preventing construction in high risk areas in the first place than redistributing wealth to buy votes, IMHO.

As for ATL, it is not a lack of rain that is the issue (we still have twice the average CA rain this year), but a long term lack of emphasis on basic infrastructure spending by the local, state, and federal governements. It is a storage problem, not a supply problem, and I doubt anyone will die from the lack of rain this year. BTW, ATL is notorious for lack of planning for basic infrastructure including roads, sewer, water, power, etc.

My educated guess is that some time soon there will be a major dam failure in this country because the structural dam evaluations show that to be a worse problem than even our bridges. If you think a bridge collapse in MN is horrific (which it is), wait until a dam fails and floods everything down stream. Think New Orleans leevees on a bigger scale. I wonder how many down stream folks understand the risk they have assumed?
1st November 2007 11:48 AM
pdog Calif. levees are the worst, and at major risk. Why anyone would live here is beyond me, we should all move somewhere safe now! Not to mention earthquakes, fires and plastic surgery.
Anyone know anyplace that is safe for 30 million people?
1st November 2007 03:46 PM
Jesus of Nazareth Natural disasters, disease, famine and all sorts of unpleasantness, is my way of saying fuck you, die!
1st November 2007 06:20 PM
WJ
quote:
Jesus of Nazareth wrote:
Natural disasters, disease, famine and all sorts of unpleasantness, is my way of saying fuck you, die!

If I laughed at this, does that mean I'm going to hell?

Guess I'll be in good company.
1st November 2007 06:23 PM
mojoman its good to be here, its good to be anywhere
1st November 2007 06:23 PM
mojoman
quote:
Jesus of Nazareth wrote:
Natural disasters, disease, famine and all sorts of unpleasantness, is my way of saying fuck you, die!

st bono?
1st November 2007 08:14 PM
Jesus of Nazareth
quote:
WJ wrote:

If I laughed at this, does that mean I'm going to hell?

Guess I'll be in good company.

Take your time, enjoy the beautiful world and life you have. As a friend once asked, how is the view up there? I replied, I can see your house.
Stick around, enjoy the pain and the laughter, the world is beset with fools.
Your friend,
J
1st November 2007 09:42 PM
gotdablouse ouch 5.6 is pretty bad, remember a 5.2 with the epicenter in Morgan Hill, early 2002 I think, that was pretty scary, nice "rolling". Eartquakes are probably the one reason I don't miss the SF Bay Area too much ;-)
1st November 2007 09:46 PM
glencar No one died though? Some good newsfinally!,
3rd November 2007 02:37 PM
gorda Something funny!

I was in the shower! I love taking long showers! Sometimes, the neighbor downstairs gets pissed and starts pounding her ceiling/my floor. Anyways, this day, when the shower started shaking, I was like "Boy, she must really be pissed today!" I had no idea it was an earthquake.
4th November 2007 08:06 PM
fireontheplatter i live in ny.
there are never ever any natural disasters. no hurricanes or major huge twister or earthquakes. i feel safe.
the only bummer part is the cost of living......go figure
4th November 2007 09:18 PM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i live in ny.
there are never ever any natural disasters. no hurricanes or major huge twister or earthquakes. i feel safe.
the only bummer part is the cost of living......go figure

no fires, floods, or droughts.. amazing.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)