ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the British Tour - May 27, 1976 - Earl's Court, London
© 1976, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks debuts at #50 in Billboard Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 10th, 2004 11:07 AM
Soldatti http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000716514

Rock legends John Lennon and the Rolling Stones land new projects in the top 50 this week. Lennon's Yoko Ono-produced collection of demos and home recordings, "Acoustic" (Capitol), comes in at No. 31 with 28,000 units, while the Rolling Stones' tour compilation "Live Licks" (EMI) enters at No. 50 with 20,000 copies.
November 10th, 2004 11:09 AM
jb As I said, it won't even break 50k in sales....even you Stone apologists must admit 20k is dismal.....
November 10th, 2004 11:09 AM
Monkey Woman So they barely made it, but they charted, both in UK and US. Eat your heart out, jb!
November 10th, 2004 11:11 AM
jb
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
So they barely made it, but they charted, both in UK and US. Eat your heart out, jb!

Gimme a break..20k in US and 10k in England!!! Less than 50k for a "new" Stones release..pretty sad.....
November 10th, 2004 11:12 AM
Monkey Woman That's because rich Florida lawyers didn't buy carloads of it.
November 10th, 2004 11:13 AM
T&A how many copies did you buy, JB? With your untold riches, you could surely push this over the top all by yourself.
November 10th, 2004 11:15 AM
jb
quote:
T&A wrote:
how many copies did you buy, JB? With your untold riches, you could surely push this over the top all by yourself.

Don't you post somewhere else?
November 10th, 2004 11:24 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
T&A wrote:
how many copies did you buy, JB? With your untold riches, you could surely push this over the top all by yourself.

LOL
November 10th, 2004 11:34 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

LOL

"it's coming"...
November 10th, 2004 11:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Gimme a break..20k in US and 10k in England!!! Less than 50k for a "new" Stones release..pretty sad.....

An album that hardly anyone wanted (even you) and which you advised us all not to buy.

Still it did better in the UK than the Stones-hating US, Josh, eh?

(see below : http://www.novogate.com/board/968/204662-1.html)

And how do you make out its under 50,000 in sales anyway? Do you only count countries that have soldiers in Iraq or something?
[Edited by Gazza]
November 10th, 2004 11:50 AM
jb Yes Gazza, 0n as per capita basis, you(Brits) sold more units. But in all candor, would you agree that any Stones album should sell more than 20k in the US..even No Security sold 38 it's first week. I think if this was any other band, their record company would have dropped them long ago.

Also, since it's a double disc, it actually only sold 10k here and 5k in England....feckin pathetic!!!
[Edited by jb]
November 10th, 2004 11:57 AM
Nellcote Walked into my local store, bought the UK copy at no upcharge.
Play it daily.
I like it.
Good bridge until new product arrives.
It's the Stones, dammit!
November 10th, 2004 12:00 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
Also, since it's a double disc, it actually only sold 10k here and 5k in England....feckin pathetic!!!
[Edited by jb]

No no, sold 20,000 copies total and 10,000 in UK.

This release is in bad time, last year Four Flicks sold 53,000 DVD's in the first week and 315,000 so far. The moment for the release of Live Licks was the last year with the DVD, with 53,000 copies an album is #13 this week.
November 10th, 2004 12:01 PM
Monkey Woman The person who will win an argument with Josh isn't born yet. Maybe when he's old and bed-ridden and the nurse will threaten to hide the bedpan until he agrees...

Sorry, Josh, you're just too easy a target.
November 10th, 2004 12:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Yes Gazza, 0n as per capita basis, you(Brits) sold more units. But in all candor, would you agree that any Stones album should sell more than 20k in the US..even No Security sold 38 it's first week. I think if this was any other band, their record company would have dropped them long ago.

[Edited by jb]

of course the sales are lousy. As they should be. Its a pointless release that no one is interested in. I personally havent even bought it or heard it yet. Its the first time in over 25 years that I havent owned a new Stones release on the day it came out.

As for the "double disc" sales - I dont think it would qualify as such (maybe Soldatti can correct me if I'm wrong). Its not priced as a double CD, but a single disc.

November 10th, 2004 12:04 PM
jb
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
The person who will win an argument with Josh isn't born yet. Maybe when he's old and bed-ridden and the nurse will threaten to hide the bedpan until he agrees...

Sorry, Josh, you're just too easy a target.

I have been attacked on a # of boards latelt for being negative-but the facts speak for themselves....20k for a Stones album is remarkably low.....Alfie soundtrack and movie tanked, no tour, no new material in 7 plus years...I think that it's safe to say that they are no really interested in doing anything significant anymore as far as the group is concerned...solo projects seem to fulfill their large egos..
November 10th, 2004 12:05 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
This release is in bad time, last year Four Flicks sold 53,000 DVD's in the first week and 315,000 so far. The moment for the release of Live Licks was the last year with the DVD, with 53,000 copies an album is #13 this week.

Interesting info, Soldatti. The calculation was perfect last year, less so now. Some you lose, some you win... And FF was #1 in the music DVD charts, if I remember correctly.
November 10th, 2004 12:06 PM
Nellcote Jb, why is this an issue?
Are you not finding enjoyment in The Stones any longer?
I think you need a session with Dr. Melfi..
November 10th, 2004 12:10 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Jb, why is this an issue?
Are you not finding enjoyment in The Stones any longer?
I think you need a session with Dr. Melfi..

I enjoy the Stones, but I'm finding it harder and harder to refute claims that they are no longer vital, relevant or have any musical impact these days....they seem to always let us down as far as our expectations are concerned..
November 10th, 2004 12:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
I have been attacked on a # of boards latelt for being negative-but the facts speak for themselves....20k for a Stones album is remarkably low.....Alfie soundtrack and movie tanked, no tour, no new material in 7 plus years...I think that it's safe to say that they are no really interested in doing anything significant anymore as far as the group is concerned...solo projects seem to fulfill their large egos..

well,youre hardly alone in being negative, lets face it - theres a lot of us old grouches around!

I wouldnt worry about chart sales though, especially not for solo work. Theyve NEVER been that great.

I guess it took you longer than some "see no evil, hear no evil" cheerleaders to question the Stones' artistic integrity that some people have been griping about since 1998...but welcome to the Grumpy Old Bastards Club!

have to say, I still enjoy the concerts though. Just wish they didnt cost an arm and a leg to see!
[Edited by Gazza]
November 10th, 2004 12:16 PM
Nellcote You need to understand they enjoy "coasting".
Some event in their collective lives will need
to occur to change that.
In the meantime, enjoy the ride.
Or, go and buy Cohl out of his contract, and do it yourself.
But please, always figures, Oy Vey!
November 10th, 2004 12:18 PM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Some event in their collective lives will need
to occur to change that.

DIVORCE !!!!!!

Sassy Ewing ! ™
November 10th, 2004 12:21 PM
Nellcote Joey;

I see you are now listed as a person of subnormal intelligence, how did you gain such a moniker?
November 10th, 2004 12:23 PM
T&A [quote]Monkey Woman wrote:
The person who will win an argument with Josh isn't born yet. Maybe when he's old and bed-ridden and the nurse will threaten to hide the bedpan until he agrees...

Other way around - the person who will LOSE an argument to Josh hasn't been born yet. As from Dubya, perhaps....
November 10th, 2004 12:24 PM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Joey;

I see you are now listed as a person of subnormal intelligence, how did you gain such a moniker?

Nellcote ....................................

I am the " Human Oil Slick " of Rocks Off !

I also am stuck driving everyone to P.F. Changs for lunch today ( My Turn ) .

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm Tasty !

Jacky Ewing ! ™

November 10th, 2004 12:30 PM
Monkey Woman I wish I had been aware of the Stones's work enough before 2002 so that I could appreciate too their decline in artistic integrity. I'm still kicking myself for failing to see get them when they were in Paris, right under my nose, in 1995 and 1998...

Yeah, and I wish they would go back to the recording studio for good... Maybe that'semi-retirement after all.
November 10th, 2004 12:33 PM
jb
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
I wish I had been aware of the Stones's work enough before 2002 so that I could appreciate too their decline in artistic integrity. I'm still kicking myself for failing to see get them when they were in Paris, right under my nose, in 1995 and 1998...

Yeah, and I wish they would go back to the recording studio for good... Maybe that'semi-retirement after all.

You are not being objective then....also, 94-95 at least they had a decent album to tour behind....I'll even take the god awful B2B, but since then it's there's been nothing but greatest hits ...
November 10th, 2004 12:42 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
jb wrote:
You are not being objective then....also, 94-95 at least they had a decent album to tour behind....I'll even take the god awful B2B, but since then it's there's been nothing but greatest hits ...

Do you read more than a few words before posting, jb? I said that I would like to have followed the Stones earlier in my life so that I'd have a baseline to compare the current state of their artistic integrity.

And I was a bit young before the '90s and also live far from Paris. And my family wasn't into rock n roll at all, didn't have one rock record or even listen to rock radio. Hard as it may be to believe, I found out about the Stones by myself when I grew up in musical curiosity.
November 10th, 2004 12:44 PM
gypsy jb is a bitter bitter man.
November 10th, 2004 12:53 PM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
jb is a bitter bitter man.

Not really..and I get a kick out of posters like T&A who actually think they are brighter than me b/c they can win arguments on a Stones message board....At least you(Gypsy) get it...you are one of the few people who understands how this works...you are also one of the few attractive posters on the various boards...
[Edited by jb]
Page: 1 2