ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, 6th November 2006
© Chris Stewart
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: R&R hall of fame nominees NSC Return to archive Page: 1 2
3rd November 2006 10:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
The Dave Clark 5:
Appeared on Ed Sullivan more than any other band, They also knocked the Beatle out of #1 several times. In the Hall of Fame ? I Don't know, but I like them. I understand the organist /front man, Mie Smith ,is very sick. I wish him the best. It was the first band I ever saw, was greatly influexced by them. Yeah let them in what the hell. Dave Clark saved alot of the early tapes of the Beatles and The STONES from being forgoten and thrown away. I believe he bought and saved the early shows from England.

[Edited by Kilroy]

he bought the rights to the old Ready Steady Go shows (1963-66), and many were subsequently re-run on TV in Britain in a great series of broadcasts around 1985 or so (and later appeared on video compilations). The funny thing with those reruns was that pretty much every week there would be a clip of the DC5 performing their latest hit or some 'on location' footage of them in some boat on the Thames with Cathy Magowan or something. None of which came from the original RSG broadcasts as the DC5 never appeared on the show.

If theres a category in the RNRHOF honouring archivists, then by all means, welcome aboard Dave. As far as musical achievement and significance goes - nah,dont think so.
3rd November 2006 10:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:

Oh come on Gazza, The Dave Clark Five was a great early R&R band. They deserve to be in there more than somebody like Earth Wind & Fire. Exactly what is the definition of rock & roll anyway? It sure is not ewf in my opinion.

The term 'rock n roll' is just a meaningless title to give the thing a cool name. I dont think it was ever intended to be limited to what most people would define as 'rock n roll'. It just sounds better than "Pop" or "Music" hall of fame.

The expressions are meaningless. After all, what I grew up understanding as "R&B" bears no relation to what the current definition appears to be.
4th November 2006 01:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Editorial: It's only rock 'n' roll, but we don't like it

Web Posted: 11/03/2006 10:58 PM CST

San Antonio Express-News

From Chuck Berry to the Rolling Stones, rock 'n' roll is about passion and romance and ambition, all of these themes set to a beat that could make a statue dance.
Think of Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, the Beatles.

Think of all of them ... and then weep, because that vast pool of greatness is being polluted.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum has announced nine finalists for the inductee class of 2007, and among some reasonable choices, including the Stooges and the Ronettes, are questionable picks such as Van Halen and the Dave Clark Five.

To dramatize how drastically the quality has dropped since the early days of the museum, consider that the Beatles were inducted in 1988, 19 years before their British Invasion mates, the Dave Clark Five, are threatening to crack the "elite" group.

The Beatles performed tough, muscular rock 'n' roll, particularly on songs such as "I Saw Her Standing There," while the Dave Clark Five sounded as if they were playing air guitars.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record, with their influence serving as the primary criteria, according to the hall of fame Web site.

A nominating committee, composed of historians, selects nominees every year, a list that is sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts.

Performers must receive more than 50 percent of the vote, after which the top five vote-getters make it into the hall on March 12.

After the early years of the museum, in which the picks were no-brainers such as Elvis and Fats Domino, the facility has inducted some unworthy artists, including Blondie and Billy Joel.

That nonsense has to stop.
----------------------------------------------------------

The rock ’n’ roll hall of lame

By Mike Honl
A&E Editor
ndsuSpectrum.com

I always thought Huey Lewis was singing “The heart of rock ’n’ roll is in Cleveland,” but it turns out I just misheard the lyrics.

What he was really saying was “The heart of rock ’n’ roll is still beating.”

It sounds similar, OK? Give me a break.

Huey’s lyrics might be correct, but I’m starting to think mine are more accurate.

The heart of rock music is indeed in Cleveland, but I’m not sure it’s still beating.

No matter how many concerts they perform or albums they sell, at the end of their career every rock artist wants to end up in Cleveland.

No, not because they throw great parties.

Cleveland is home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a museum that holds thousands of music artifacts ranging from the obscure – such as John Lennon’s report card and Jim Morrison’s cub scout uniform – to the instantly recognizable – such as Tom Petty’s giant red top hat he wore in his famous 1985 video for “Don’t Come Around Here No More.”

In addition to the exhibits, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation rewards performers “who have had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock ’n’ roll” each year by inducting them into the Hall.

A nominating committee chooses the nominees, which are then voted on by nearly 1,000 rock experts.

Out of those nominees, only five are inducted every year.

Artists have to wait 25 years after the release of their first record in order to become eligible.

This week the Hall announced the nine nominees for 2007, which are Chic, the Dave Clark Five, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, R.E.M., the Ronettes, Patti Smith, the Stooges, Joe Tex and Van Halen.

If you’ve even heard of half of those artists, what you may notice is that many of them aren’t rock ’n’ roll musicians.

Grandmaster Flash, for example, was a New York DJ who made great musical strides – in rap music.

This is exactly my problem with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees.

Iconic rock artists such as Kiss, Deep Purple, John Cougar Mellencamp, T. Rex, Rush, MC5, Electric Light Orchestra, Alice Cooper, the Cars and Journey – all eligible and some of which have never been nominated – are unaccounted for while other funk, pop and R&B groups get nominated in their first year eligible.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame needs to stick to rock ’n’ roll and its influences.

While Michael Jackson was a very popular entertainer, I think it’s stretching it to say he was more influential to rock music than Kiss or Deep Purple.

Yet Jackson is in the Hall of Fame while the others sit un-nominated.

Marc Bolan’s ’70s glam group T. Rex influenced hundreds of punk groups, many of which are already in the Hall of Fame.

Yet T. Rex has never been nominated in their 14 years eligible.

With Grandmaster Flash’s nomination, many rock experts are speculating the induction of rap groups such as Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys in the next couple years.

Rap music can get a different hall of fame, and leave rock’s Hall to real rock music.

If the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is really just a place to commemorate the most popular entertainers, then they might as well nominate Britney Spears and Clay Aiken.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)