ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Toyota Center Houston, TX, 1st December 2005
© Wenn with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Depeche Mode frontman on the Stones: Return to archive Page: 1 2
26th October 2007 01:32 PM
Mel Belli Sigh.

From EW:

"Like sands through the Hourglass, so are the days of Dave Gahan's life

"If the Cure's Robert Smith is the godfather of emo, then Dave Gahan is certainly a beloved uncle, thanks to his role as the frontman of Depeche Mode. But being an icon to a generation of eyeliner-wearing, synth-based bands that dig DM's darkly romantic ditties ("Enjoy the Silence," anyone?) lately has Gahan, 45, fearing that "the death of the rock star is leering in the future for me." And so he titled his second solo CD Hourglass.

"It is all about running out of time," says the singer, whose own time was almost up when a 1996 drug overdose left him clinically dead for two minutes. Now clean for 11 years, the Brit-born New Yorker appears trim and absolutely boyish. "When I perform, I feel like a 25-year-old jumping up on that stage." Yet following a recent Rolling Stones show, "I came away [thinking] they should just stop. The performance was great, [but] I was thinking, 'Wow, is that what I look like?'" Gahan's plan: to challenge himself to stay relevant. "[DM] are aware of the importance of making a record that is current and not becoming parodies of ourselves."

Be sure to let us know how that relevance thing works out for ya, Dave.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
26th October 2007 01:35 PM
MrPleasant "Depeche Mode"? Current?
26th October 2007 01:37 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
"Depeche Mode"? Current?

Yeah, that, and "Is that what I look like?" Er, don't flatter yourself!
[Edited by Mel Belli]
26th October 2007 02:03 PM
The Wick Sorry I just woke up and found out it's 1991.
26th October 2007 02:03 PM
MrPleasant Him: "Let's go to the future, where we will be as current as 'fish on a stick'."

Her: "Go fuck yourself, asshole".

"To the idiot-mobile!"
[Edited by MrPleasant]
26th October 2007 02:05 PM
Dino37 Mick could so kick his ass. Wiry little stud that he is. Keith on the other hand looks like he will break in half if shoved by an infant. He sure is not the intimidating dark eyed glowering panther I caught on a couple occassions when he was doing his Whinos thing. He looked every inch the badass back then. Now...
26th October 2007 02:13 PM
Maxlugar They did that video with that huber hottie Lysette something. Man I loved her in that video. What the heck was that song called?! It was kind of a cool song, for friggin' Depends Mode too.....
[Edited by Maxlugar]
26th October 2007 02:57 PM
Dan I almost saw them the last tour til the Fresno thing worked out in the end. They are okay. However, Martin L. Gore's solo show in 2003 was great. I reluctantly went with a free ticket but was really surprised by how good it was.
26th October 2007 03:00 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Sigh.

From EW:

"Like sands through the Hourglass, so are the days of Dave Gahan's life

"If the Cure's Robert Smith is the godfather of emo, then Dave Gahan is certainly a beloved uncle, thanks to his role as the frontman of Depeche Mode. But being an icon to a generation of eyeliner-wearing, synth-based bands
[Edited by Mel Belli]

Didn't Bowie do this with The Station To Station tour way back in '76, why is he getting credit.
26th October 2007 03:15 PM
Trey Krimsin
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
They did that video with that huber hottie Lysette something. Man I loved her in that video. What the heck was that song called?! It was kind of a cool song, for friggin' Depends Mode too.....
[Edited by Maxlugar]

The answers you seek are Lysette Anthony and the song is I Feel You.
26th October 2007 05:37 PM
FotiniD Is it just me, or do we all get kind of jumpy and defensive every time someone makes a 'bad' statement on the Stones?

Anyway, I love Dave Gahan. As a matter of fact, his live performances seem pretty much Jagger-inspired to me, the whole energy and the way he works the crowd. And Depeche Mode are good, even relevant today. Exciter was a great album.
26th October 2007 06:02 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Anyway, I love Dave Gahan.

And I love Gahan Wilson.
26th October 2007 09:23 PM
glencar What I don't get is that he liked the performance but still doesn't want to end up like that? He's been around about 20 years already; he's well on his way to being that same way.
27th October 2007 01:01 AM
robpop D Mode is a greatly underated band.
27th October 2007 06:24 AM
corgi37 Since i've been working where i am (over 23 years) i have always had to defend the Stones. As far back as 88, Jagger's solo OZ tour, i was told by my CURE loving, alternative music adoring boss "He's so old. They all are. They should quit".

You know, Dinosaur jr was the future of music! hahaha.

I asked her if she was going to see the upcoming Cure tour.

Boy, did i have fun ripping through her! hahahahaha
27th October 2007 10:39 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Is it just me, or do we all get kind of jumpy and defensive every time someone makes a 'bad' statement on the Stones?

I'll cop to that -- with qualifications, however! Call them greedy; call Keith lazy and dried up; etc. But I will get "jumpy" when someone with absolutely no standing or credibility - a la, Jon Bon Jovi - criticizes them.

If Bruce Springsteen were to come out and say, "I like to keep my ticket prices within the range of average folks; I wish bands like the Stones and Macca would follow my example." I'd say, Bravo, brother.

But Dave Gahan? Doesn't want to "end up like that"? Sorry. Nobody really cares.
27th October 2007 11:05 AM
fireontheplatter i can understand not everybody likes the stones, but to diss them is plain silly.
people who do that are probably just jealous.
27th October 2007 12:15 PM
oldkr Depeche Mode, much like Don Henley, are fucking shit. end of.

OLDKR
27th October 2007 01:17 PM
gotdablouse @Mel Belli - very well put, my thoughts exactly !
27th October 2007 01:50 PM
Bloozehound This play must of been torn from the pages of some underground cult item kinda like the anarchist cookbook, but instead written for for sad, old, forgotten 80's leather queens with delusions of grandeur

Just mention yourself with the Stones and the public might be duped into thinking you're relevant

I bet boy george and carrot top read that book too
[Edited by Bloozehound]
27th October 2007 02:30 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
oldkr wrote:
Depeche Mode, much like Don Henley, are fucking shit. end of.

OLDKR

Now, now OLDKR...settle down...even though you are spot on about DH...no need to get so cynical at your young age...
27th October 2007 02:36 PM
Paranoid_Android Gahan's plan: to challenge himself to stay relevant. "[DM] are aware of the importance of making a record that is current and not becoming parodies of ourselves."

Something he Stones seem to forget for about 85% of each of their last 4 releases

"The performance was great, [but] I was thinking, 'Wow, is that what I look like?'

This is what we all say about 50% plus of the time with the headers and other photos of Mick & Keith

I don't think there was anything wrong or insulting w/ any of DG's quotes.

DM are a great band...always have enjoyed them and still do...thier shows are alot of fun as well.
27th October 2007 06:57 PM
Steel Wheels Proud to say I've never heard a complete song from Depeche Mode. They are a footnote at best in the history of popular music.
27th October 2007 07:06 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle I like Personal Jesus.

But only the Johnny Cash version.
27th October 2007 11:14 PM
gypsy
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
I like Personal Jesus.

But only the Johnny Cash version.

Same here.
28th October 2007 10:35 AM
Honky Tonk Man I like Depeche Mode. Some good tracks. Just Can't Get Enough, Personal Jesus etc.

Dave Gahans brother works in the same building as me.
28th October 2007 11:40 AM
gimmekeef Its funny all these techno synth 80's/90's fucks dissin the Stones...Dont wanna end up like them?..What like makin $558 million at 63 years old?
28th October 2007 01:29 PM
MrPleasant Sadly, glue isn't current anymore.
28th October 2007 01:48 PM
Bloozehound I always suspected that those pussy new wave types who'd grow their bangs long and wear them down to one side covering half their face were hiding because they were ashamed they were Depeche Mode fans

28th October 2007 01:54 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I always suspected that those pussy new wave types who'd grow their bangs long and wear them down to one side covering half their face were hiding because they were ashamed they were Depeche Mode fans

I's because people are a bunch of assholes who deserve to die. That's the only logical explanation.

"I's" as in "I SAID SO"
[Edited by MrPleasant]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)