ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2002 RY/Rex Fearures
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What do people think about Goats Head Soup? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 21st, 2004 10:57 AM
star star just wanted some feedback on an album thats had mixed reviews......
October 21st, 2004 11:07 AM
F505 brilliant. Still a classic album.
October 21st, 2004 11:09 AM
LadyJane Great album, IMHO. Always makes my top 5 as it was the first Stones album I ever purchased. Sentimental favorite.

Welcome to the asylum star star! Buckle your seat belt and enjoy the ride!!

LJ.
October 21st, 2004 11:09 AM
Joey
quote:
star star wrote:
just wanted some feedback on an album thats had mixed reviews......

Greatest Album ever made .
October 21st, 2004 11:21 AM
star star thanks for the replies guys. And thanks to lady jane for that warm welcome!
October 21st, 2004 12:14 PM
charlotte those were the days....still very foggy!!!
October 21st, 2004 12:15 PM
Bloozehound it's the greatest thing since sliced bread
October 21st, 2004 12:19 PM
telecaster
quote:
Joey wrote:

Greatest Album ever made .

A truly great album. Something that Steely Dan or Air Supply could never create

A timeless classic
October 21st, 2004 04:49 PM
gypsy tele, remember when we used to make sweet love to Air Supply's Greatest Hits?
October 21st, 2004 05:20 PM
mickjaggersgrl i love goats head soup thats a good album!
October 21st, 2004 05:39 PM
Poplar
Moody, dark, interospective, and nasty. In some ways, it's one of the Stonesiest Stones albums. Winter is the most beautiful song they ever recorded (sadly w/out Keith) and 100 Years Ago is the most underated rocker they ever recorded.

Love it.

"stuck my tongue, in someone else's pie."
October 21st, 2004 05:47 PM
Back Street Girl
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Moody, dark, interospective, and nasty. In some ways, it's one of the Stonesiest Stones albums. Winter is the most beautiful song they ever recorded (sadly w/out Keith) and 100 Years Ago is the most underated rocker they ever recorded.

Short,sharp and simple
quote:
mickjaggersgrl wrote:

i love goats head soup thats a good album!

Just simple
October 21st, 2004 07:09 PM
Gimme Shelter I love it, every song is great!!
October 21st, 2004 07:47 PM
mickjaggersgrl one of my favorite songs on that album is doo doo doo doo doo (heartbreaker) i love that song!!!!!!
October 21st, 2004 08:40 PM
corgi37 Great album. Billy Preston really adds his influence to this (and the next 2). 100 years ago is just brilliant.

If this was made before Exile, it would be viewed much better.

Though, funnily enough, most critics hated Exile at the time it came out.

My only complaint is the recording is a little too murky. Probably intentional, so i aint complaining.

And, oh my, what a great cover!
October 21st, 2004 08:47 PM
Trey Krimsin Goats Head Soup is one of the Stones' most underrated albums of their catalog, if not of all time.
October 21st, 2004 09:19 PM
Mr. D I think that some underrate this album heavilly and others overrate it. Personally, I think it's a great album at times, but it should not be held in the same regard as say Exhile or Sticky. "Dancing with Mr. D" is a nasty rocker to start off the record. "100 years ago" is (I think someone already said this) one of the most underrated songs the Stones have. I cannot get enough of this one. "Coming Down Again" and "Winter" are just brillaint, both songs are gorgeous. "Angie", while a bit overplayed is a strong track. "Heartbreaker" is a really meaty rocker, and theres of cource "Star Star". Besides that, I cannot really get into the rest of the tracks. All are good in their own right, but i think these songs are a few nothces below the rest of the record, and at times they drag it down. Still, this is a must-buy for anyone, especially for a Stones fan. It's one of only four true Stones albums with Mick Taylor.
October 21st, 2004 09:51 PM
Poplar

You're right, there are some weak moments, but that almost adds to it. This is when things started to get dicey for teh Stones, and its reflected in te album. In short, it's something of a mood piece.

Mick Taylor is amazing on this album.
October 21st, 2004 10:11 PM
Mottrush
A brilliant piece of work! Continued the unbroken chain of consecutive masterpieces from Beggars in '68!!

Unfortunately the chain was to be broken in '74.

Cheers,

Mottrush
October 21st, 2004 10:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl it is one of those stones' albums with a nice touch of acidity, I love it

Silver "bells" is a ringin’, ringin’ up inside my brain, ding dong oh yeah.

pH=0
October 21st, 2004 10:29 PM
kath i had to admit this the other day on sdb...but for years i wouldn't listen to it because i hated the title of it so much. and the cover creeped me out. but mostly it was the title (for those who can't figure it out for themselves, i am a vegetarian and animal rights advocate). so i just in the last 5 years or so have started listening to it. i wouldn't say it's their best, but there are some good cuts on it for sure!
October 21st, 2004 11:08 PM
Soldatti Great album, great songs.
Heartbreaker is by far my favourite.
October 22nd, 2004 01:54 AM
Egbert A very good album but Can You Hear The Music annoys me and doesn't belong.
October 22nd, 2004 03:48 AM
IanBillen
Although it may not be the most commercial, althought it may not be their strongest, it is my very favorite.

It is murky and thick. Almost fuzzy but not really. It, as all Stones albums, has a definite sound and feel to it.

"Winter", "Can you hear the Music", "Coming down Again", and of coarse "Dancin with Mr. D" are all very underated Stones tracks.

The album isn't so different that they wouldn't make it an official Stones album without the definitive Stones feel good rocker, which comes very last="Star Star"
Ian
October 22nd, 2004 04:03 AM
beer GHS, is excellent on many levels. In the first place, it is IMPOSSIBLE to follow Exile, so of course it had that working against it from the get-go. the single was a soppy acoustic ballad = Angie. But it has some real gems on it that really stand the test of time(what the hell do i know, i wasn't even alive when this LP came out!) 100 years, Silver Train, Winter, and Starfucker are the best tracks. Criss Cross Man should have and could have replaced one of the weaker tracks. These songs worked almost better live, IMO. It seems M.T. had more freedom onstage to add his stamp to them. Like Heartbreaker and Angie. I think Angie Live '73 is great becuz of Taylors brief but impressive solo.

blah blah blah.
October 22nd, 2004 08:10 PM
kmc Call it "Goat's Head Droop"

GHS started a string of weak albums by the Stones that wasn’t broken until Some Girls.

First the cover was lame. Mick looked like Mary Poppins. Should have used the “goat’s head” cardboard insert. No balls to take on the record company again?

Billy Preston should have been banned from playing on any Stones album - he seems to overwhelm - except we probably have him to thank for “Miss You.”

Dancin With Mr. D - weak attempt to cash in on the rumored “satanic” image at the time and capture the magic of “Sympathy.” Lyrics too forced.

100 Year Ago - Like the speeded up ending, but just an average tune.

Comin’ Down Again - slow, slow, slower. When does it end? One of the rare pre 90's songs where Keith’s vocal’s don’t give off a spark.

Heartbreaker - Can’t understand why this is a big favorite. The lyrics are so phony. Any time Jagger sings about the po-leece in NYC with ten year old junkies I want to turn it off. The music deserved better.

Angie - deserved to be a hit. The acoustic guitars sound great. Is it about Bowie’s wife? There’s a mystery to it. At least makes you think.

Silver Train - very good lyrics. Mick Taylor’s slide rocks.

Hide Your Love - sounds like a warmup session. Doesn’t go anyplace.

Winter - cool song, nice lyrics. Like the Mick Taylor solo version better with a chick singer.

Can You Hear The Music - sounds like it’s going to go up to another level but just treads water.
A throwaway.

Star Star - there’s never a bad “Chuck Berry” soundalike Stones song. This is decent but doesn’t push the rock n roll needle up. Controversy over the lyrics is the only thing that made it interesting.

Give it a C-.
October 22nd, 2004 08:19 PM
Bloozehound B+
October 22nd, 2004 08:22 PM
Poplar
After giving it a listen last night, te only thing I really don't liek about it is the song order. Give me a day or twop, and I'll propose a different track list. Something about the flow just isn't tight.

100 Years should start the album.
Winter/Can you Hear should close it.
then, re-shuffle the midle. that would help i think.

i still love it. B+
October 22nd, 2004 10:34 PM
mickjaggersgrl
quote:
star star wrote:
just wanted some feedback on an album thats had mixed reviews......

i just bought the cd and i love that album!!!
October 22nd, 2004 10:43 PM
Some Guy It's got a good beat and easy to dance to.
Page: 1 2