ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Another great cover by Fernando, Congratulations!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith guitar sound. Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-22-03 02:41 PM
silvertrain1876 Hi im a guitarist..im looking to perfect that vintage 69 Keith guitar sound as heard on "ya yas" "gimmie shelter" etc. I cant afford a vintage ampeg amp or anything so im trying to replicate it on my lil Marshall Valvesate Vs30r.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

silvertrain1876
10-22-03 04:15 PM
Poplar
well - without the amps, that'll be tough tough tough tough tough tough tough. i feel your pain.

i find "the keith sound" can best be replicated with a faint delay... or that point where reverb meets delay, really. so if you have a Boss DD-5 or something, set it to a qick reverb style - from there its all in the gain.

then - there's the syleistics....

ah the Ya-Ya sound.... sigh...
10-22-03 04:38 PM
Cardinal Fang Hello !!

I have to agree. The Ampeg V-4 amp has a pretty distinct sound and is hard to duplicate on any other amp. Keep your eye's and ear's open for one for sale. I have a 1970 Ampeg V-4 that I bought about 5 years ago for a HUNDRED bucks. You want to know WHY the guy was selling it and why for so cheap ? He got tired of lugging it around. They easily weigh about 80 or 90 pounds and that's just the HEAD !! He said to me, "why would anybody want this old amp that weighs a ton ?" I said something like, "there's 'a guy' I like that played this amp". He even helped me carry it to my car. They do weigh A TON. DON'T dispare, just keep looking and you will eventually get lucky finding one for sale for a reasonable price. (from a private party, a music store will "know" what they have and charge you top $$$)

My advice with your Marshall, turn the reverb to "about" 2 or 3. You want just a hint of reverb. Turn the mid-range DOWN also. Turn the gain up somewhere between a third to half way up. Turn your guitar volume down to about 8. That's about as close as you're going to get using a Marshall. I hope this helps ?

Later, Cardinal Fang
10-23-03 07:32 AM
Mathijs Try to find an old V-4, VT-22 or VT-40 with sensitivity switch (this is what makes you able to let the amp crunch), these amps go for under $350. Another way is to find a Marshall 800 series head, and swap the EL-34 power tubes for KT66 or 6500 tubes, this makes it sound like a Twin on steroids, exactly what an old Ampeg is.

Keith used the Ampeg SVT head through an 8*10" cabinet on Ya-Ya's. For nowadays use, these amps are far too powerfull, and they are quite expensive too (about $1300 for a good one).

Mathijs
10-23-03 09:56 AM
Yann.69 There is one thing you have to think before buying an amp...where are you gonna play? Stadium, large venue? certainly not... we re all playing in bars et small clubs, or in reheasal studios...
so don't buy a big amp you just can't use it as it was made for
i bought a vox ac 30 years ago, and it sounds perfect with any guitar...
10-23-03 10:31 AM
telecaster As someone who has played for 25yrs I would suggest for the '69 sound go with the Gibson Humbuckers (Les Paul, SG), mess with the amp till you get a nice "bite" sound then pull out a bottle of good bourbon and sip to taste and you will sound just like Keith in '69
10-23-03 01:38 PM
Mathijs absolutely true, all old ampegs are far too powerfull for rehearsels and the general gig. That's why I feed the output signal through a Koch loadbox, so i can really push the amp at decent sound levels. A month ago I played for 2000 people, and had to adjust the sound to 15% of the original level!

Mathijs
10-23-03 02:51 PM
jb Gibson Humbuckers is my choice.
[Edited by jb]
10-23-03 03:25 PM
nankerphelge For more recent Keef sound, try two bottles of Stoli and turn the guitar right off!!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
10-23-03 03:35 PM
jb Please don't hijack this thread nanker.....you don't want to be hated by SS and Gypsy like Joey and I....
10-23-03 03:43 PM
nankerphelge I didn't hijack anything jb!

The thread is about the Keith sound.

No smiley faces, no list o' Jews -- just some "tough love" humour about Keith and the still-unexplained sound problems of 2002-03!!
10-23-03 03:45 PM
Joey " Please don't hijack this thread nanker.....you don't want to be hated by SS and Gypsy like Joey and I.... "

My Baby Steelie has left the board for good .

Sniff !

Why ?!?!

Skee !
10-23-03 03:58 PM
jb He was in the chat room yesterday with Marco , Nanker, and me and left.....where did he go? Joey...go to the chat room next time....
10-23-03 04:05 PM
nankerphelge Was it something we said Joey?
10-23-03 04:10 PM
Joey " Was it something we said Joey? "

Something Cardy said .......................

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!?!

Jacky !
10-23-03 04:12 PM
nankerphelge Oh hell -- he'll be back!

Where's he gonna go, really?

Keno's?

That would be "NO"

Shidoobee?

He wouldn't last a minute.

Seriously, I bet he's back before tomorrow...
10-23-03 04:20 PM
Joey

My Baby is GONE !!!!!!!!

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!

WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?! WHY ?!?!

Skee !

10-23-03 04:24 PM
jb Look, if I wasn't thick skinned i would have been gone a long time ago....I am a survivor and have made it through the dark...
10-23-03 04:26 PM
LadyJane Well...I'm chiming in on this....

Steelie...get back here right now!!!

You are much loved here!!!

LadyJ.
10-23-03 04:27 PM
jb By the way, that's a great song by Barry manilow.
10-23-03 04:35 PM
Joey " By the way, that's a great song by Barry manilow. "

What , Mandy ?!?!?!?!?!

{ CA - RACK ) !!!!!!!

Double Ronnie !

The Jacky !
10-23-03 04:35 PM
nankerphelge That was Thru the Rain!

I listened to it last nite in fact.
I've recently taken an interest in Barry's work.
I also had a dream about the Olsen twins -- we were all stuck in an elevator and they kept saying "Red Rum" over and over.

Listen, do you guys hear that...
10-23-03 04:44 PM
jb Shit, your right nanker!!!!!!!!!!! Thru the rain...not dark!!!! Great song nonetheless...Thanks for correcting my error.
10-23-03 04:47 PM
Joey " I also had a dream about the Olsen twins -- we were all stuck in an elevator and they kept saying "Red Rum" over and over. "

You make Joey sniggle .

" Shine Me Ronnie "

Jacky Nicholson !
10-25-03 05:49 AM
Keefness Aside from all the BS on this thread, the secret to Keith's
sound is a tube amp (preferably a 60's or 70's Fender) and a closed back speaker cabinet. Set the Bass somewhere between 6 & 8 and the Treble between the same.

Telecasters are obviously his weapon of choice, but it could be any guitar that has single coil pick-ups. I recommend a BOSS Blues Driver stomp box to get the warmth.
But a tube amp (like the Ampeg ones previously mentioned) and the closed back speaker cabinet is the key. Meat & taters, that's what you're lookin' for, I promise.

Be glad to tell ya more about it.

Cool, Daddy-O..

Keefness.
10-25-03 08:28 AM
Mathijs Keith used closed back cabinets until 1978, and started using open back cabinets from 1981 and onwards. now he uses two 1957 Fender Twin amps (no 002 and 006...), and these are open backed too.

Blues drivers and any other sort of stomp box will never get you the sound of a tube amp's power tubes saturated to the full. A blues driver makes it sound like slick pop music, while a cranked Twin or V-4 makes it Rock and Roll.

Mathijs
10-25-03 06:05 PM
scully Fender Twins are certainly great amps. I've got a new (ish) Vox valve amp, which Is fine for me. Did the Stones use Vox in the 60's? I guess before the Ampeg period.

Mathijs - do you know how long Keith's had those Fenders? I guess serial #002 must be worth a considerable sum.

Any idea how many guitars Keith owns - it must be quite a job (I assume that's Pierre's) to keep track of what's what!

Talking of amps - I've also got a weird Watkins amp, which is a twin speaker model, and its tri-angular in shape (so the two speakers are at an angle to each other). It's also got a built-in 'tremolo' effect on one channel, which is mighty odd, but allows you to sound like The 13th Floor Elevators, at the flick of a switch!
10-25-03 08:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot >You are much loved here!!!<

Speak for yourself LJ.

I think the board will be better off without him.

But like nanky said, he'll be back. No one else will have him.

Scully....tell me more about this wonderous amp that makes one sound like Roky and the Elevators! I'd love that!

10-25-03 08:48 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>You are much loved here!!!<

Speak for yourself LJ.

I think the board will be better off without him.

WTF??

I never professed to speak for anyone else but myself. I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours!!

LadyJ.

10-25-03 09:14 PM
scully Sir Stonesalot - it's an old Watkins amp - they became Watkins Electronic Music (WEM), and you do see WEM amps around quite a bit.

I guess this one is from the seventies, by the look of it, and its triangular if you look down on it from above, so that the two speakers point out at an angle from each other.

One of the inputs is marked 'tremolo' and there are two knobs to control the effect - one changes the 'speed' of the effect, one the amount of 'wobble' (for want of a better term). Basically you get a fairly normal guitar sound with an effect in the background something akin to Tommy Hall's jug playing in the Elevators - but not quite as deranged!
Page: 1 2