ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Ugly Helloween everyone!
Šeharms325 and thanks SweetVirginia
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor Question Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th October 2007 07:08 PM
Paranoid_Android Could you experts tell me what would be Mick Taylors Shiniest, finest moments on vinyl w/ the Stones...

I know what albums he is on...but I know there is alot of uncredited stuff and I don't know who plays lead/rhythm on what tunes...Thx a bunch.

19th October 2007 07:40 PM
doo doo doo Dude Studio wise, I'd say:

Sway
Moonlight Mile
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
I Got The Blues
All Down The Line
Shine A Light
Stop Breaking Down
Torn and Frayed
100 Years Ago
Winter
Time Waits For No One
Through The Lonely Nights
Honky Tonk Women
Jiving Sister Fanny
Sympathy For the Devil & Love In Vain (both from Ya-ya's)

Bootleg wise, I'd say anything live from 72 & 73
19th October 2007 08:26 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Studio wise, I'd say:

Sway
Moonlight Mile
I Got The Blues
All Down The Line
Shine A Light
Stop Breaking Down
Torn and Frayed
100 Years Ago
Winter
Time Waits For No One
Honky Tonk Women
Jiving Sister Fanny

Thx Doo Doo...is Mick Lead on these or second? If he shares lead...can you footnote when he is doing the licks? Anyone else have info?
19th October 2007 10:15 PM
Glimmer Twin Can't You Hear Me Knocking for me.
20th October 2007 12:24 AM
mojoman boxers of briefs?
20th October 2007 01:34 AM
pdog Mick Taylor Question:
Would you like fries with that?
20th October 2007 04:14 AM
yellerstang "Winter" has always been one of the most impressive for me. Keith doesn't play on it. Just Mick T. on lead and Big Mick on rhythm. The leads are so very beautiful.

I don't think they could have ever done that song without Mick Taylor.
20th October 2007 01:44 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
"Winter" has always been one of the most impressive for me. Keith doesn't play on it. Just Mick T. on lead and Big Mick on rhythm. The leads are so very beautiful.

This is the type of info I want...thany you Yeller!!!

Anyone else??
20th October 2007 05:01 PM
BILL PERKS DANCIN W/ MR D ON BRUSSELS BOOT 73
FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!
20th October 2007 06:58 PM
speedfreakjive surely Winter, then probably Sway
20th October 2007 07:15 PM
lotsajizz me? I'm 'Sway' first, then 'Winter'...
20th October 2007 07:45 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
"Winter" has always been one of the most impressive for me. Keith doesn't play on it. Just Mick T. on lead and Big Mick on rhythm. The leads are so very beautiful.

Winter was my other choice. I agree they couldn't have done that without Mick T. Time Waits For No One is also in that catagory.
22nd October 2007 12:35 AM
jpenn11
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Studio wise, I'd say:

Sway
Moonlight Mile
I Got The Blues
All Down The Line
Shine A Light
Stop Breaking Down
Torn and Frayed
100 Years Ago
Winter
Time Waits For No One
Honky Tonk Women
Jiving Sister Fanny

Taylor plays bass, not guitar, on Torn and Frayed on Exile.

He, however, does play all guitars on Heartbreaker, a curious omission from your list given your handle. Also, I'd put the DF solo the list. The solos in Heartbreaker and DF are not flashy but are souful. They add to the songs amazingly.

By the way, no votes for his bass playing on Fingerprint File?
[Edited by jpenn11]
22nd October 2007 11:12 AM
Paranoid_Android THX JPENN!!!

Keep the info coming !!!
22nd October 2007 11:53 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

He, however, does play all guitars on Heartbreaker, a curious omission from your list given your handle. Also, I'd put the DF solo the list. The solos in Heartbreaker and DF are not flashy but are souful. They add to the songs amazingly.

[Edited by jpenn11]

DF?
22nd October 2007 11:55 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

DF?

Dead Flowers.
22nd October 2007 12:23 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

[Edited by jpenn11]

Your right about T&F (Al Perkins on steel gtr). Love "Heartbreaker" (especially Brussels version). Other notables:

Hide Your Love
Tops
Waiting On A friend
Live With Me
Tumbling Dice (bass)
Criss Cross Man
Fingerprint File (bass)
Drift Away
Dead Flowers
22nd October 2007 12:48 PM
jpenn11 {quote]doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Hide Your Love
Tops
Waiting On A friend
Live With Me
Tumbling Dice (bass)
Criss Cross Man
Fingerprint File (bass)
Drift Away
Dead Flowers
[/quote]

For rhythm guitar, I think his work on Bitch is a standout. He is also provides nice accompaniment in Wild Horses and does wonderful things with Sweet Virginia on acoustic.

With regard to the outtakes, Highway Child provides some insight into how Taylor and Richards would interact and not interact during rehearsals. The interaction is remarkable.

Two that have not been mentioned yet, Dance Little Sister and If You Can't Rock Me, are also great. Some think the solos are disposable, but the slow bend in DLS, the "pratfall" in IYCRM, etc. make these special and uniquely Taylor's.
22nd October 2007 01:03 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
With regard to the outtakes, Highway Child provides some insight into how Taylor and Richards would interact and not interact during rehearsals. The interaction is remarkable.

MT isn't on Highway Child. That's Keith & Jagger.

He also has some lovely acoustic moments on "Till the Next Goodbye" and "If you Really Want to Be My Friend"

22nd October 2007 03:10 PM
texile
quote:
yellerstang wrote:

amen -
i love how mt follows jagger's vocal's with a lyrical line...and that solo is like a crescendo.....
it's also one of my favorites.
22nd October 2007 03:55 PM
jpenn11
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

MT isn't on Highway Child. That's Keith & Jagger.

He also has some lovely acoustic moments on "Till the Next Goodbye" and "If you Really Want to Be My Friend"

Yes, you are correct. I had the right song, but the wrong title. I meant Hillside Blues.
22nd October 2007 04:18 PM
Boogie-Woogie try to get a clean sounding 69 or 70 tour bootleg and be happy;-)
22nd October 2007 06:54 PM
Throwaway MT is not on the studio version of Bitch.

One that is not often mentioned is his tasty slide work on live versions of BS, which really adds to the song.
22nd October 2007 07:39 PM
texile any live verson of ycagwyw from 72, 73....
my personal favorite: madison square garden 72.
22nd October 2007 07:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
MT is not on the studio version of Bitch.

One that is not often mentioned is his tasty slide work on live versions of BS, which really adds to the song.

Say what? Taylor plays the main riff, and Keith does the lead work on "Bitch."

You're right about the slide licks on BS live, though.
22nd October 2007 08:36 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Say what? Taylor plays the main riff, and Keith does the lead work on "Bitch."

You're right about the slide licks on BS live, though.

I'm almost certain that Taylor is not on that particular studio track. This is from the book "Rip This Joint" by Steve Appleford, which includes the supposed "story behind every song", about the track Bitch:

Richards calmly ate his breakfast as he watched the band at work, until he could stand no more of the the terrible screeching: "Give me that @#$%& guitar!"

He quickly found a simple chord pattern that somehow transformed the song into a tight, agitated package. It was an absolutely relentless riff, a fiendish attack on the senses. On the final track, Richards' rhythm guitar is joined by the horns of Bobby Keys and Jim Price, with some minimal lead guitar work at the edges.
22nd October 2007 08:38 PM
Mel Belli He may have written the riff, but, since they basically cut the track live, somebody had to play the rhythm while Keith did the fills. The liner notes credit Taylor as having played on the track, and I don't think there's any reason to doubt them.
22nd October 2007 08:44 PM
Throwaway Those days they did cut a lot of tracks live, so you may be right about that. It sounds a little diff studio to live, but still not enough for me to be 100% either way. And oh yeah, how about Taylors rhythm on HTW (Brussels)??? His licks are great on that one (does he add some lead slide playing too???)
22nd October 2007 08:47 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
Those days they did cut a lot of tracks live, so you may be right about that. It sounds a little diff studio to live, but still not enough for me to be 100% either way. And oh yeah, how about Taylors rhythm on HTW (Brussels)??? His licks are great on that one (does he add some lead slide playing too???)

Ah, HTW in Brussels: the little thing he plays underneath Keith's intro is subtle genius.
22nd October 2007 09:45 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

I had the right song, but the wrong title. I meant Hillside Blues.

huh??

agree with Mel - studio Bitch must be MT on the riff - sure SOUNDS like him
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)