ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© Rubén R. Ramírez/El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: One good reason why the Stones should carry on? Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th October 2006 12:12 PM
F505 I'm curious.
13th October 2006 12:14 PM
steel driving hammer Because.
13th October 2006 12:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot $$$.

I don't know if you consider that a good reason or not. But there it is.
13th October 2006 12:16 PM
Jumacfly $$$$
+1
13th October 2006 12:17 PM
F505
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
$$$.

I don't know if you consider that a good reason or not. But there it is.

I am not asking from the $$$ point of view.
I am just wondering: they are destroying their legacy so why carry on?
13th October 2006 12:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
F505 wrote:

I am not asking from the $$$ point of view.
I am just wondering: they are destroying their legacy so why carry on?

$$$
13th October 2006 12:28 PM
Some Guy It's about Dollars not sense.
13th October 2006 12:32 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
It's about Dollars not sense.

you have a gift
13th October 2006 12:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot You can't tarnish a legacy like the legacy that the Stones have.

No matter what they do now, they will always have that wonderful back catalogue.

The reason that they are still out there now? $$$. Simple as that.
13th October 2006 12:41 PM
jb The main reason is b/c they enjoy what they are doing....I think after a couple of years off, they will get the urge to perform in some capavcity again. Also, from a selfish point of view, I keeping hoping against hope, that the "next" release will be another "Exile". I know it is a ridiculous idea, but it still keeps me going.
13th October 2006 12:53 PM
steel driving hammer Victory Laps...
13th October 2006 01:13 PM
caro
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You can't tarnish a legacy like the legacy that the Stones have.

No matter what they do now, they will always have that wonderful back catalogue.

The reason that they are still out there now? $$$. Simple as that.

Eh. That sums it up beautifully.
Besides, it's not the same if you've seen them live 50 times, and if you go to see them for the first time. I guess there's a balance between admiration and frustration, and frustration takes over after a while.
Anyway, if you think the Stones are becoming a joke, you can simply decide not to spend any money on them anymore. I've never understood this thing about destroying one's legacy -- whether you let the present "Las Vegas" mentality overshadow all of your good Stones memories is your problem, not theirs. They're human beings, not works of art -- so they'll just live & work the way they want, and make stupid decisions if they want to.
13th October 2006 01:32 PM
F505
quote:
caro wrote:

I've never understood this thing about destroying one's legacy -- whether you let the present "Las Vegas" mentality overshadow all of your good Stones memories is your problem, not theirs.

It should be THEIR problem. Just because they don't consider it as their problem they have lost credibility. My point is the Stones will ALSO (despite their tremendous legacy) be remembered as the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world that went on too long. If they had self-criticism they should quit right now.

13th October 2006 01:45 PM
caro
quote:
F505 wrote:
It should be THEIR problem. Just because they don't consider it as their problem they have lost credibility. My point is the Stones will ALSO (despite their tremendous legacy) be remembered as the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world that went on too long.

Yes, probably. But why would they need credibility when they've produced some of the most fascinating music of the century? Among the artists, writers etc. that I really love, almost all have done some things that were questionable at best. If the Stones are remembered as greedy bastards who happened to be fantastic musicians, that would be fine by me.
13th October 2006 01:48 PM
F505
quote:
caro wrote:
If the Stones are remembered as greedy bastards who happened to be fantastic musicians, that would be fine by me.

Our opinions differ on this.
13th October 2006 02:10 PM
polytoxic "Do not grow old gracefully. It wouldn't suit you"
--Pete Townshend inducting the Rolling Stones into the Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame -1989
13th October 2006 02:29 PM
Jumping Jack If they quit there will be nothing to bitch about except politics. Zzzzzzzz....
13th October 2006 02:51 PM
F505
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
"Do not grow old gracefully. It wouldn't suit you"
--Pete Townshend inducting the Rolling Stones into the Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame -1989

Pity he didn't say "Do not grow old like greedy bastards".
[Edited by F505]
13th October 2006 03:19 PM
souldoggie Mick continues because he loves performing.
Keith continues because he loves the music.
Charlie continues because he is loyal to his friends.
13th October 2006 03:40 PM
Bitch I think they do it for several reasons. This was asked at the press conference, and I was listening to every word they said.

Obviously the money is attractive, but how much more money do they really need? KEEF said at the Press Conference he does NOT do it for the money, he said you can keep the money! When asked how much they will make, KEEF simply said "millions" and I dont even think he knew the real answer. KEEF said loves touring because both RONNIE and himself love the feeling of "letting the tigers out of the cage". So for them, its a eurphric rush that cant be topped. MICK said they were doing it to promote ABB and to try to reach greater heights with the On-Stage boxes, to see if they can out-do themselves and top their prior efforts. So for MICK, he does it to achieve a goal, maybe it's ego tripping but I think it's like game to him. CHARLIE continues on because he is loyal to his friends, and while staying home he plays the drums because thats the only thing he knows how to do!
13th October 2006 03:41 PM
jb Keith says a lot of things....the quote at the press conference was insulting.
13th October 2006 03:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
MICK said they were doing it to promote ABB

well, THAT notion soon left him!
13th October 2006 03:45 PM
F505 The problem with Keith is he is talking in the same old cliches for years now. On stage he is no longer the tiger he wants to be.
13th October 2006 03:48 PM
FotiniD
quote:
jb wrote:
Keith says a lot of things....the quote at the press conference was insulting.

Now for once we totally agree jb
If Keith and the rest of the Stones REALLY didn't care at all about the money, well, to give an example, they'd cut down the horrendous ticket prices, change the setlist with songs they haven't actually played one zillion times AND make smarter selections of venues, especially when it's freezing outside. Just some examples.

And jb, I never would have thought you're expecting a new Exile, wow.

Now, why they continue and all. Money and love of their art. And seeing where it gets them. I'd never think money is the sole reason or the driving force. It is a big motive though. But this topic, it's become a rhetorical question after all this time, hasn't it?

There will come a time in the near future that they are going to stop and then we'll all miss them and we would part with a finger to hear them play, even if it meant it'd be in a "wide-open" venue and with a playlist featuring "Miss You" as its obscurest song, mind you. Enjoy it while it lasts.
[Edited by FotiniD]
13th October 2006 04:04 PM
jb I love this band Fotini D....I always expect another 'Exile" and while it shall never come to pass, I have been in denial for about 30 yrs... Warts and all, they are our band, and we love 'em for better or worse.
13th October 2006 04:05 PM
FotiniD
quote:
jb wrote:
I love this band Fotini D....I always expect another 'Exile" and while it shall never come to pass, I have been in denial for about 30 yrs... Warts and all, they are our band, and we love 'em for better or worse.

That's the attitude, keep it up
13th October 2006 10:37 PM
IanBillen 1. They made one of the best albums of the year. As a Rock
album it probably tops the list for 2005 or at-least
ties for it.

A decent amount of people agree it may be, or at-least
is arguable that it is a strong contender for
best the rock album to come out within the
last three years.

That says a hell of alot for any band, of ANY age.

2. A Bigger Bang tour is enormously successful still topping
the list as the hottest tour going for quite some time
The stage is AWESOME. As for the live performances...
well for the first part of the tour I heard rave reviews.
Now the reviews have been hit and miss. But still as
a live show for any other band it would be damn good.

Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon were strong
albums as well.

They still got the swagger, the sound, and want to
continue. Sure they went semi-corporate in areas.
Sure they are pro-company. But in these times, for
a band of higher calibar going on a major tour...you
HAVE to be. Otherwise you'll crumple financially
and that will soon to be the end of your major touring
endevors.

Corporate?=well semi-corporate in areas. But really, for
a group of their stature they have no choice.

Besides all the corporate talk and high ticket prices
the Stones have stuck to being themselves as they always
were surprisingly well. The message they send and the
music they deliver is still based as it always was.
And they are not even HALF as bad as say...
Aerosmith, or some others are far as selling out
can be considered. They still stay away from soundtracks
as a group. they don't pair up for video's with the
latest Pop craze, they don't jump at every chance of
corny exposure and they keep to themselves pretty
much as far as off times go. Except for maybe Mick
but he has Always been doing different things. Since
the seventies. So they really, as a whole try to
keep it real, while at the same time keeping it big.
What eles can you ask for really?

And after all that they are still OUT-DOING most, if
not all the younger bands and are certainly
out-doing ALL the older acts such as U2, Paul Mcartney,
and Bonjovi as well both in Live Performances, and
possibly, if not for sure in the studio.

Like it or not. They are very much still a powerful
musical package as far as quality studio out-put is concerned. Sure not in sales so much but as far as quality goes absolutely. If another act, put out Voodoo, BTB, and
now ABB I would be quite impressed. I would tell folks of their natural sounding talent, their diversity, and their ability to rock. I'd consider myself a fan of this group as well. Look at it that way and I think you may think twice about your idea of their musical out-put in later years. As far as corporate finance and sponsorship goes they try to keep it as real as they can while still being a huge group.

They still got strong albums to make, and really good
shows to put on for the moment so....

Why not?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
13th October 2006 10:43 PM
mojoman for the kids
13th October 2006 11:25 PM
StonesChick
quote:
mojoman wrote:
for the kids

13th October 2006 11:25 PM
StonesChick
quote:
mojoman wrote:
for the kids

The hell with the kids, I can't wait to see them again.

Okay, for the kids too.
[Edited by StonesChick]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)