ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour
Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham, NC - October 8, 2005
© 2005 Tom Mendel / The Chronicle with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang a month later Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 2nd, 2005 05:30 AM
ListenToTheLion After listening to A Bigger Bang a month after its release I am still very positive.
To be honest I had lost all my hope they would ever release a decent album again. Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges were all huge disappointments to me. (Of course apart from some exceptional songs like Continental Drift.)
But then there was ABB. At first some songs seemed fillers but after hearing the album at least 30 times now even these so called fillers have grown on me.
ABB contains some of the best songs the Stones have recorded in 35 years: Dangerous beauty (Keith really brilliant), Laugh I nearly died (Mick brilliant), Look what the cat dragged in, This place is empty, Rough Justice, Oh no not you again, Driving too fast. The contributions of Keith, Charlie, Mick and even Ronnie are all solid and by fits and starts brilliant.
If this album will become a true classic is still too early to say. But the fact I am still playing this record is significant. The albums I mentioned above cannot hold a candle to A Bigger Bang!

From a former nay sayer
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
October 2nd, 2005 07:25 AM
exile It hasnt been out of my Cd player yet in my car or home. exect for listening to the news occasionally.

so that says something to me.
October 2nd, 2005 07:55 AM
IanBillen For me it has only got better. At first I was impressed. Now I am even more impressed. There isn't any filler on the entire album. The only track I don't particularly care for is Let Me Down Slow. but I realize it isn't really filler. It is just fair in my opinion and for some reason I just don't get into that particular song. I still wouldn't say it is exactly filler. Just a fair song.

This album is very hard hitting and the neat thing is the sucker builds up steam. It gets even better as the album plays along and finishes very strong.

This is the first Stones album in arguably 25 years that actually gets better as it runs.

Every tune is it's own gem. Solid 16 songs straight which is really remarkable for the legnth of the album not only from a Rolling stones standpoint but any group for that matter.

I think it is on par and arguably the best Rock album of the year. Most all nay-sayers that said The Stones didn't have it anymore have been silenced and surprised. I knew they could do it if they went old school and really got back to doing things the way they used to and really worked hard. The outcome is an album that gets even better over time and that says alot in itself. It is now my opinion that we will look back at this album 20 years from now and really appreciate just how good it is. It is basic and somehow even though it is 16 songs and longer than Bridges and even Voodoo it just doesn't seem like it. After it is over you think wow that was over an hour? It runs right on by and nev er lets you get bored or complacent. It keeps you going as it keeps going on through. Another sign of a great album. It is a Rock album for the most part and the sucker is to be played LOUD. This is no background album. It is to be loud and up front just as it was recorded.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
October 2nd, 2005 08:38 AM
IanBillen [quote]IanBillen wrote:
For me it has only got better. At first I was impressed. Now I am even more impressed. There isn't any filler on the entire album. The only track I don't particularly care for is Let Me Down Slow. but I realize it isn't really filler. It is just fair in my opinion and for some reason I just don't get into that particular song. I still wouldn't say it is exactly filler. Just a fair song.

This album is very hard hitting and the neat thing is the sucker builds up steam. It gets even better as the album plays along and finishes very strong.

This is the first Stones album in arguably 25 plus years that actually gets better as it runs.

Every tune is it's own gem. Solid 16 songs straight through which is really remarkable for the legnth of the album not only from a Rolling Stones standpoint but any group for that matter.

I think it is on par and arguably the best Rock album of the year. Most all nay-sayers that said The Stones didn't have it anymore have been silenced and surprised. I knew they could do it if they went old school and really got back to doing things the way they used to and really worked hard. The outcome is an album that gets even better over time and that says alot in itself. It is now my opinion that we will look back at this album 20 years from now and really appreciate just how good it is. It is basic and somehow even though it is 16 songs and longer than Bridges and even Voodoo it just doesn't seem like it. After it is over you think wow that was over an hour? It runs right on by and nev er lets you get bored or complacent. It keeps you going as it keeps going on through. Another sign of a great album. It is a Rock album for the most part and the sucker is to be played LOUD. This is no background album. It is to be loud and in your face just as it was recorded. Who could bitch (well I know you will always have that one or two no matter what they hell they would put out it isn't good enough but that is surely no reflection on this albums quality)

Ian

October 2nd, 2005 09:28 AM
Ten Thousand Motels A month... LOL....Its been that long? I've only had it since Friday PM. Wasn't hardly 24 hours and my nephew shows up at my door to borrow it.
October 2nd, 2005 10:14 AM
gimmekeef It does have legs...Imagine my fave song Drivin Too Fast is in the 15 spot!..Very divergent sound and song types.My biggest dissapointment about the tour is the minimal commitment to date to play these new ones...Hmmmmm..Imagine a special show in say MSG announced in advance as ABB Night.They play th entire album or at least 90% sandwiched between a few warhorses..Wow what SHOW THAT WOULD BE..
October 2nd, 2005 11:20 AM
egon I still like it.yes i do.
October 2nd, 2005 11:40 AM
JaggerLips Get's bettter and better with every listen!!!!!!

They really are back on their top for with this one!!!!

IT'S A DANGEROUS BEAUTY OF AN ALBUM!!!!
October 2nd, 2005 12:13 PM
72Tele I hate this record. First let me say I'm not one of these guys that are negative just to be negative. If I liked the record I would be proud to say it. Lord knows I wanted to like it. To me there is nothing real about this record at all. Virtually no emotion. It's empty and depressing. Funny enough I have heard the record almost daily because my ten year old son likes to hear it and I am not honest enough to tell him that I can't stand it. The reason for that is I have spent the first ten years of his life bragging up the Stones! I've come to hate Mick as a singer and lyrist. I am a huge dylan,clash,Johnny Cash, replacements, westerberg,chuck prophet,jessie malin fan among many others I won't bother listing. So for me these songs do not hold up. Granted if you compare them to the last twenty years of Stones then it may good enough for you. Not to be a snob but my standards exceed this trash.
October 2nd, 2005 12:18 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
72Tele wrote:
I hate this record. First let me say I'm not one of these guys that are negative just to be negative. If I liked the record I would be proud to say it. Lord knows I wanted to like it. To me there is nothing real about this record at all. Virtually no emotion. It's empty and depressing. Funny enough I have heard the record almost daily because my ten year old son likes to hear it and I am not honest enough to tell him that I can't stand it. The reason for that is I have spent the first ten years of his life bragging up the Stones! I've come to hate Mick as a singer and lyrist. I am a huge dylan,clash,Johnny Cash, replacements, westerberg,chuck prophet,jessie malin fan among many others I won't bother listing. So for me these songs do not hold up. Granted if you compare them to the last twenty years of Stones then it may good enough for you. Not to be a snob but my standards exceed this trash.

There isn't any pleasing some people!!!!!!!
October 2nd, 2005 12:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
72Tele wrote:
I hate this record. First let me say I'm not one of these guys that are negative just to be negative. If I liked the record I would be proud to say it. Lord knows I wanted to like it. To me there is nothing real about this record at all. Virtually no emotion. It's empty and depressing. Funny enough I have heard the record almost daily because my ten year old son likes to hear it and I am not honest enough to tell him that I can't stand it. The reason for that is I have spent the first ten years of his life bragging up the Stones! I've come to hate Mick as a singer and lyrist. I am a huge dylan,clash,Johnny Cash, replacements, westerberg,chuck prophet,jessie malin fan among many others I won't bother listing. So for me these songs do not hold up. Granted if you compare them to the last twenty years of Stones then it may good enough for you. Not to be a snob but my standards exceed this trash.

Viva Las Vegas!
October 2nd, 2005 12:27 PM
icydanger
quote:
72Tele wrote:

i wonder, you need an analyse.... sweet neo-con turning bitter, out cast may be?
October 2nd, 2005 01:35 PM
time is on my side A Bigger Bang a month down the road???

It gets better and better with each listen. A really remarkable effort by the STONES. Surprising how well it's held up over TIME (well at least for a month).

I would rate it their best since TATTOO YOU and look forward to many, many years of listening pleasure. I can honestly say I will be listening to this album much more than Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and B2B in the coming years.

Sales??? Who gives a shit about that crap anyway??? Sales and quality have nothing to do with one another. It's rare when the two actually co exist. The Bon Jovi is number one in the world- need I say more???

Looking forward to seeing the STONES twice this month in concert(both times in arenas). All the reports coming in have me very excited. Life is good.

For those, who some reason don't like ABB, you need to get the wax out of your ears. Nah, just joking. Everyone has different musical taste- so we respectfully agree to disagree in our assessments. I do feel somewhat guilty (maybe this is why some who don't like ABB have been flooding the board with their hostile posts). I have many, many years ahead to enjoy the STONES latest offering; they don't and may feel somewhat cheated. Who ever said life was fair???
October 2nd, 2005 02:13 PM
Zulu Fun Mix The guitar work on ABB is far too weak and the songs are too underdeveloped for the record to come close to being excellent. B2B, VL, and WS are all significantly better. Mick and Charlie sound great, but I don't see how any Stones fan can fail to miss and lament the weakness of the guitars. Listen to VL and ABB back to back and it's shocking how far Keith and Ronnie have regressed.

The record is also cynical and negative, with several minor mode/angry/grating songs that sound like they belong on *Primitive Cool*. It seems that Mick often likes to prove his continued vigor by acting angrier than anyone else, whereas Keith is happy just to have a good time.

I've continued giving ABB a chance, listening 2-3 times a week. But by now my patience runs thin at the flatness of the album and I skip more and more songs, so "it won't take long" till I'm not listening to it at all anymore and waiting to see whether they'll write another one before calling it quits.
October 2nd, 2005 02:57 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
exile wrote:
It hasnt been out of my Cd player yet in my car or home. exect for listening to the news occasionally.

so that says something to me.

yeah. its says that your record collection must seriously suck.
October 2nd, 2005 02:58 PM
Lethargy
quote:
Zulu Fun Mix wrote:
The guitar work on ABB is far too weak and the songs are too underdeveloped for the record to come close to being excellent. B2B, VL, and WS are all significantly better. Mick and Charlie sound great, but I don't see how any Stones fan can fail to miss and lament the weakness of the guitars. Listen to VL and ABB back to back and it's shocking how far Keith and Ronnie have regressed.

The record is also cynical and negative, with several minor mode/angry/grating songs that sound like they belong on *Primitive Cool*. It seems that Mick often likes to prove his continued vigor by acting angrier than anyone else, whereas Keith is happy just to have a good time.

I've continued giving ABB a chance, listening 2-3 times a week. But by now my patience runs thin at the flatness of the album and I skip more and more songs, so "it won't take long" till I'm not listening to it at all anymore and waiting to see whether they'll write another one before calling it quits.

You nailed it. Voodoo and B2B are both still better in my opinion, even a month later, though I think ABB is still better than Steel Wheels. The deterioration of Ronnie has been on now for 10-15 years, but the deterioration of Keith (both his songwriting and his guitar playing) really hurts on this one.
October 2nd, 2005 03:00 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Your shit is so fucking tired Sway. Why must you persist in being such a one trick pony poster? Have you not figured out that everyone is sick of it?

Riffhard
October 2nd, 2005 04:08 PM
Bob Tamp after a month and repeated listenings, it continues to grow.
a damn good album for 2005
October 2nd, 2005 05:07 PM
Some Guy I really like it on shuffle!
October 2nd, 2005 10:46 PM
Soldatti I still love it.
October 2nd, 2005 11:10 PM
poor immigrant All those people saying ABB is so great should go and re-assess B2B. That is a record that I didn't love back then, now it sounds like a mini-masterpiece to me. It is tighter, more concise, more varied than the new album. It also has louder, faster guitars that weave throughout and Charlie is utilized far better. Overall, it beats the pants off ABB.

October 2nd, 2005 11:47 PM
Bloozehound a month later ABBs already begin to collect a thin layer of dust from sitting on the shelf where I placed it about 3 weeks ago
October 3rd, 2005 12:03 AM
BILL PERKS IT GETS BETTER BY THE DAY...ONLY COMPLAINT IS TRACK ORDER..THAT PART OF IT REALLY BAD
October 3rd, 2005 10:22 AM
Jair Leave my player last week, replaced by B2B, which i'm starting to think is better.
October 3rd, 2005 09:35 PM
Bitch LAUGH I NEARLY DIED is my addiction, I play it every single day and love MICK's vocals so much the first time I heard it I almost cried. it's beautiful.

LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN , I play that for my 2 teenagers, it's so funny "are you gonna throw up in my face?"

INFAMY is a very cool song too.

I like ABB alot, but skip thru neo-con that one gets old quickly.
October 3rd, 2005 10:54 PM
clickclack it keeps getting better and better!
October 3rd, 2005 10:58 PM
LeedsLungs71 It's a pretty good Stones record. Sounds like Mick solo records in a few spots....SOL in particular.
October 3rd, 2005 11:07 PM
exile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

quite witty Ill give you that.

since you ask Sway my record collection contains more than the 4 Cds in yours

Lions
By Your Side
Three Snakes & One Charm
Southern Harmony & Musical Companion

and your still saving your pocket money for Jimmy Page and the Crowes.

If you collect the tokens off three boxes of cornflakes and send them in you can get Chris Robinsons 'New Earth Mud'

October 4th, 2005 05:02 AM
Jumacfly I Think it's definitely a good one.not the best of course.
the guitar are a little weak,there isn t a decent solo, let s face it: after the Brian Jones era, the Taylor era, the Wood Richards era, here comes a new pair of guitarist: MJ and KR.

but IMHO it works in 2005.
the Stones still got energy, and several songs are really cool.I only skip SOL,and I think driving too fast, let me down slow (love the final part) and the cat are brilliant songs.
just my 2 cents of course.
October 4th, 2005 05:18 AM
speedfreakjive Its a good un. Certainly best since Emotional Rescue. DB, personal favourite, would be good live too. She Saw Me Coming is IMO quite original. And I like Sweet Neo Con for its abundant comic value, that harmonica at the start...............................
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)