ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Mottrush
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering War Baby............... Return to archive Page: 1 2
22nd September 2006 01:03 PM
The Wick as the biggest piece of shit that any Stone has ever excreted. The title and opening lyrics are interesting enough, but it then becomes so incredibly embarrassing. This is easily the worst thing that any one of them has ever done. Worse than State of Shock, Streets of Shite, anything on any album full stop. I would rather listen to Back to Zero for the rest of my life than hear this piece of crap ever again. This from the man who wrote Street Fighting Man to attempting social commentary with this classic.
22nd September 2006 01:07 PM
jb
quote:
The Wick wrote:
as the biggest piece of shit that any Stone has ever excreted. The title and opening lyrics are interesting enough, but it then becomes so incredibly embarrassing. This is easily the worst thing that any one of them has ever done. Worse than State of Shock, Streets of Shite, anything on any album full stop. I would rather listen to Back to Zero for the rest of my life than hear this piece of crap ever again. This from the man who wrote Street Fighting Man to attempting social commentary with this classic.

Thank god I never was subjected to it-Springsteren does an excellent cover.
22nd September 2006 01:17 PM
glencar That was an okay song.
22nd September 2006 01:19 PM
Mel Belli I didn't mind it either. The production is pretty badly dated -- as is the whole album -- and the arms race/cold war theme is even more so. But it's a decent "serious-Mick" effort.
22nd September 2006 02:55 PM
texile what wick said...

it sounded so pompous and serious that it ended up sounded silly.
the music was lame, lyrics pretentious, the singing FUNNY...
no insight, depth - just dumb.
22nd September 2006 03:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Thank god I never was subjected to it-Springsteren does an excellent cover.

Eh? Nonsense. hes never recorded or played it

He does a good cover of Street Fighting Man, though!
[Edited by Gazza]
22nd September 2006 03:09 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

He did 'War" in 85...a great song!!War, good god, what isit good for, absolutely nothing, say it again"...........
22nd September 2006 03:09 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

And JJ Flash.
22nd September 2006 03:18 PM
glencar U2 did a poor job on PIB.
22nd September 2006 03:19 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
U2 did a poor job on PIB.

Figures..anything associated w/Stones a commercial failure.
22nd September 2006 03:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

He did 'War" in 85...a great song!!War, good god, what isit good for, absolutely nothing, say it again"...........

Entirely different song!

Youre thinking of the Edwin Starr song (saw them duet on it at wembley Stadium in '88 - was great)
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Entirely different song!

Youre thinking of the Edwin Starr song (saw them duet on it at wembley Stadium in '88 - was great)

oh
glencar That was on that 5 album live set he did.
22nd September 2006 03:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

And JJ Flash.

Tryin' to think what other Stones songs he's played live

The Last Time
Dead Flowers
Sweet Virginia
Honky Tonk Women

Theres probably been a few more played at guest spots at club shows over the years
22nd September 2006 03:23 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
That was on that 5 album live set he did.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22nd September 2006 03:24 PM
glencar Memory is still razor sharp!
22nd September 2006 03:27 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Tryin' to think what other Stones songs he's played live

The Last Time
Dead Flowers
Sweet Virginia
Honky Tonk Women

Theres probably been a few more played at guest spots at club shows over the years

What's the name of that German guy he sang HTW with? I have a recording of it somewhere...
22nd September 2006 03:30 PM
glencar something hasselhoff?
22nd September 2006 03:32 PM
Gazza LOL...was it Wolfgang Nierdecken, or something similar?

he actually did HTW on the '99 E-Street band tour, think it was as a medleu with Darlington County or something similar
[Edited by Gazza]
22nd September 2006 03:33 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LOL...was it Wolfgang Nierdecker, or something similar?

That's it, yeah. Or close enough. They did "Hungry Heart" together, and Bruce released a video of it around '95, I think?
22nd September 2006 03:34 PM
jb The Pope?
22nd September 2006 03:36 PM
Mel Belli Are you kidding? Bruce would never associate with someone who's critical of Islam!
22nd September 2006 03:36 PM
glencar The Muslims are now going after the Pope! I will no longer listen to Arabic pop tunes!
22nd September 2006 04:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

That's it, yeah. Or close enough. They did "Hungry Heart" together, and Bruce released a video of it around '95, I think?

Yes. They did an awful version in a bar in East Berlin with his band for a single release in '95 (as part of the Greatest Hits release) - although the audio version that was released was just a reissue of the original, I think.

Bruce's "rock" pipes were badly shot around that time, I think. Thankfully they came back. Dont blame him for doing acoustic shows and albums around that time.
22nd September 2006 04:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
The Muslims are now going after the Pope! I will no longer listen to Arabic pop tunes!

LOL..and no doubt that BTB intro that appears as Track 1 on "No Security" will be excised from any future reissues.
22nd September 2006 04:19 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
The Muslims are now going after the Pope! I will no longer listen to Arabic pop tunes!

Caught a break there huh?..Muslims and The Pope deserve each other!....Two sources of spewing bullshit...
23rd September 2006 03:20 AM
sirmoonie War baby? I mean in all seriousness, QTF?

23rd September 2006 03:00 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
War baby? I mean in all seriousness, QTF?

Who are you to shoot off your mouth?

Doooooon't shoot, dooooooon't shoot, don't shoot, don't shoot!
23rd September 2006 05:51 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LOL...was it Wolfgang Nierdecken, or something similar?

he actually did HTW on the '99 E-Street band tour, think it was as a medleu with Darlington County or something similar
[Edited by Gazza]

Holy macaroni, I haven't thought about that guy in years.

Didn't he do an entire album of Stones covers that had Mick Taylor on at least one cut?

As I recall, I would rather listen to War Baby than hear those interpretations ever again.

And I hate War Baby.

23rd September 2006 05:55 PM
Nasty Habits No, wait, that was Peter something?

Peter Scheisswaddle?

Who am I thinking of?

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)