ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Thanks to Fabio "hot Stuff"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith - time for Time Out of Mind? Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 7th, 2004 02:08 PM
Saint Sway seems like its been forever since Keith released a solo album and its been awhile since Keef unleashed a rocker. Was "Thru and Thru" the last one? Mostly its been ballads. Which I also dearly love.

but I was thinking that maybe Keith should just put out a record like Dylan's "Time Out Of Mind". Something really mellow, moody and haunting. Personally I'd love to have a full album by Keith done in that style.

whats your thoughts? Discuss...
September 7th, 2004 02:50 PM
Bloozehound Doubt we'll hear anything outta Keef solo-wise as long as the Stones are still a working......well lets just say as long as their "together"

He's become the sappiest balladier of them all. I've noticed he doesn't play much in his live guest appearances either, could this possibly due to his arthritic condition ? Maybe it's all he's good for nowdays, I hope I'm wrong.

But believe me I'd love to hear anything outta him, but hope to god it doesn't sound anything like Dylan ZZZzzz. Supposively his official site was gonna offer up some vault goodies or something to it's members soon.

I'm not a member so I don't know the specifics, or if it's already happened.
September 7th, 2004 03:38 PM
Saint Sway I know some people find Dylan to be a snooze. But I think that "Time Out Of Mind" is a wonderful and fascinating record. I just wanted to clearly point that out. Thats the angle I'm coming from.

I think that Keith could make a record in this style and it would be equally brilliant. I also think that it would suit Keith well to move in that direction. As well as please a lot of fans that would love an album like this from Keith.
September 7th, 2004 04:08 PM
Dan We are lucky if the next Stones album is as good as the last Boston or REO Speedwagon album.
September 7th, 2004 04:41 PM
Saint Sway Dan, I agree with your fears about the quality of the next Stones album but I think that Keith could EASILY put together a record like Time Out Of Mind - and it would be cool.

I think its a matter of playing to his strengths right now.

but as far a Stones record - thats a entirely different beast. And I'll be happy if it has four good songs on it.
September 7th, 2004 04:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
seems like its been forever since Keith released a solo album and its been awhile since Keef unleashed a rocker. Was "Thru and Thru" the last one? Mostly its been ballads. Which I also dearly love.

Well, IF (because of the arthritis) he's all washed up then he should say so. If he's not than he ought to do a rocker with or without his long time sidemen.
September 7th, 2004 05:09 PM
Bloozehound I'm convinced Keef should team up with some other old fart rockers and create a Traveling Wilbury/Highwaymen-ish supergroup, it's the only way
[Edited by Bloozehound]
September 7th, 2004 05:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I'm convinced Keef should team up with some other old fart rockers and create a Traveling Wilbury/Highwaymen-ish supergroup, it's the only way
[Edited by Bloozehound]

That's not necessarily a bad idea. The Wilbury's did some great stuff.
September 7th, 2004 05:19 PM
Bloozehound but then again wouldn't the Stones just getting together constitute a supergroup of old farts heh heh
September 7th, 2004 05:34 PM
sammy davis jr. Keith couldn't write an album like Time Out Of Mind. That's not a put down- just the truth.
September 7th, 2004 05:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Keith couldn't write an album like Time Out Of Mind. That's not a put down- just the truth.

Well, the Stones always were a tad overrated.
September 7th, 2004 06:17 PM
Bloozehound maybe Keef's supergroup could be called The Arthritic Monkey Men.......maybe not
September 7th, 2004 06:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
maybe Keef's supergroup could be called The Arthritic Monkey Men.......maybe not

Depends on who's in it I suppose. I just don't understand this mockery of age. Especially since new acts tend to suck. Look at Charo for god's sake. I saw her on tv just the other day....she STILL looks good.
September 7th, 2004 06:49 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Keith couldn't write an album like Time Out Of Mind. That's not a put down- just the truth.

I disagree... sort of.

I truly think Keef could put out a brilliant record like Time Out. The catch is that he'd have to surround himself with the right people. Maybe even use the same producer - Daniel Lanois, I believe. He'd have to throw out is silly no Stones rule and have Charlie play on it. Thats huge. He could bring in some of his Wino mates like Ivan Neville on keys. Have Blondie Chaplin around to add some spice on certain tracks. Bobby Keys for some mellow sax accompanyment.

its all in who he surrounded himself with. Used to be that Keith was the one who bragged that he was around to give certain musicians a kick in the ass, but right now its Keith that needs the kick. And with the right people behind him kicking the sky is the limit.
September 7th, 2004 07:46 PM
Soldatti Keith's last album was half good from the previous, and that was 12 years ago. He can't do a whole album of 12-13 own songs anymore, or at least 12-13 decent songs...
September 7th, 2004 09:58 PM
gotdablouse Going back to some of the comments by the Dust Brothers back in 1997 after he dissed them by calling them "Tape Doctors", the shed some light on Keith's recording techniques...just shouting out stuff that no one understood but since it was Keith...

Listening to his collected ramblings on "Voodoo Residue" it's pretty obvious he has a "focus" problem. Too bad, but all that "abuse" was bounnd to catch up at some point I'm afraid :-(
September 8th, 2004 02:07 PM
Martha Keef drinks hard liquor all day long. His creative process is drowning in all the booze. It's sad, but I think it's true.

I think Keef is the single most important member of the Rolling Stones in regards to the penning of their music. He wrote all the great songs...right? That seems to have come to a halt....and I suspect it has to do with the booze finally catching up to him.

Booze is stupefying and mind-numbing....way beyond any sort of Time Out Of Mind.

If Keef got clean he might be able to connect with his creative process again. Until then, I have little hope that we will see him write music to the level he once could write. He may still be able to knock out a ballad or two. I love his ballads.

Please understand, I am not saying any of this out of disrespect to Keef. I'm just a realist....and I've see how booze effects the people in my life who've lived on it for years and years. It takes a huge toll.

Alcohol is waaaaaay too strong, for me anyway (and in my humble opinion).....but hey, it's legal right?!?!

To each their own. I can respect that.

This was a good subject to bring up! :-)

with peace,
MArtha
September 8th, 2004 03:14 PM
Bloozehound I was gonna mention the drinkin/druggin earlier, but I don't know what he does on a daily basis, but Yeah I can't see how any of that shit could be helpful at this point. I do think it's fact that their creative streak ended long ago, once Keef got off the smack.

As a fan I got tired of Keef's "hey look at me, I'm a wild n' crazy guy" act 15+ yrs ago, and wish these guys could age gracefully, instead of trying to live up to some image or whatever, but it's their call...

For now I give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe these days he just gets his rocks off pluckin a few chords and croonin' a sappy ballad
September 8th, 2004 03:31 PM
Martha I'm going by the articles/interviews I read regarding Keef. He's always drinking....or going off to find a bar after a swim. Booze is always mentioned wherever Keef is, whatever he's doing....he's always drinking. I just think the daily drinking is the main reason why we do not get new music from the Stones.

peace out,
M
September 8th, 2004 03:37 PM
Factory Girl I too love "Time out of mind". But Dylan drinks also, right?
September 8th, 2004 03:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
wherever Keef is, whatever he's doing....he's always drinking. I just think the daily drinking is the main reason why we do not get new music from the Stones.

Well I know one thing...it's damn hard to work and drink beer at the same time. But it can be done!
September 8th, 2004 04:09 PM
Martha
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I too love "Time out of mind". But Dylan drinks also, right?

FG, Bob no longer drinks from what I've been told anyway. He did drink, but stopped in the earlier part of the 90's. I think he stopping drinking which coincided with him getting so ill with the heart infection that almost killed him.

He supposedly has cut back on his cig smoking too.
September 8th, 2004 05:49 PM
Bloozehound Keef's supergroup,

Keef, Dylan, Willie and....

can't figure out who would make a good 4th wheel, but they'd half to have some good pipes, cuz these 3 could get a bit rough on the ears...

Clapton maybe ?
September 8th, 2004 09:39 PM
Mr Hess Keith shold just pick up the phone and get the WINOS back together again.
And tour with them again!
September 8th, 2004 09:56 PM
glencar Time Out Of Mind? FG, I might require a copy of this. But back to the topic, no, Keith should not make another solo album. Main Offender sucked badly.
September 8th, 2004 10:11 PM
Soldatti I only want a Keef decent rocker tune on the next stones' album, that's all. When wrote Keith his last rock song? 1992? 1993 maybe?
September 8th, 2004 10:17 PM
glencar Wanna Hold you in 1983, I'd say.
September 8th, 2004 10:50 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
glencar wrote:
Keith should not make another solo album. Main Offender sucked badly.

Fuk No! Watcha been smokin willis

MO kicked serious sam ass! It's not for light weights, it's the pure essence of Keefism, hardcore
September 8th, 2004 10:52 PM
glencar It sucks on the jugular thru & thru, baby.
September 8th, 2004 11:39 PM
Bloozehound it's not as wicked as it seems
Page: 1 2