ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guitar Advice Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 23rd, 2004 06:07 PM
Flashpoint Hello guitar players, i'm very close to purchase my first electric guitar and i'm deciding among these ones:

-Yamaha PAC112
-Squier Telecaster Custom 72
-Epiphone LP Standart

i'm mostly concerned if they will have trouble on the neck when i tune it to open tunings because of the strings tension

Thank you all

August 23rd, 2004 07:13 PM
telecaster The Epiphone Les Paul Standard is an excellent guitar

Better quality than the Squire
August 23rd, 2004 07:14 PM
beer if i had to pick between the three, i'd get the Epiphone Les Paul.

Open tunings will not affect the neck.

Be sure to get a capo if ya wanna mess with Stones stuff.

Though you can imitate some open G Stones stuff in standard tuning and make it sound very similar, but not exact.
August 23rd, 2004 07:53 PM
Ronnie B. Wood a bought my first electric guitar couple of months ago, and its FENDER TELECASTER (Made In Mexico) and it costed only 600$... its gread guitar and my neigbour have me marshall valvestate 40v and it rocks... When i play monkey man!!! Damn this guitar is so good!
August 23rd, 2004 08:34 PM
Flashpoint Great!, thank you for posting really fast

I was aware of the Epiphone's quality over the other 2 but will i get that stonesy richards sound?
For an amp i could afford a Fender frontman 15R or a Marshall G15RCD

August 23rd, 2004 10:52 PM
sammy davis jr. Get the Squire Tele- not much different from the real ones.
August 24th, 2004 02:36 AM
UGot2Rollme Ronnie B - I also have a Tele and enjoy very much. A Gibson Les Paul suits my lead style better, but there's this $$ issue...
August 24th, 2004 02:45 AM
Prodigal Son I've got two electrics; one a Fender Pacifica Telecaster is what I've got. A few acoustics I forget one but another is done by Seagull. The other electric is a Santana PRS: good for jazzy, latin and rock leads sounds. One day the Les Paul is going to be added to this small trove I am hoping.
August 24th, 2004 04:48 AM
Mathijs The Squier Tele is by all means not a very good guitar, and quite hard to play (bending is much more difficult on a Tele than on a LP). the Yamaha is a decent guitar, but that's about it. The Epi LP is quite o.k. It playes decent, it sounds decent, and looks the part. Best thing is you can easily upgrade it when you've practised a bit. Pop in some better pickups for $100 and you bought yourself another 2 years of playing joy.

By the way, open tunings does effect the neck. As you slcking two strings, the string tension gets less, and you need to adjust this by loosening the truss-rod. Also, with open tunings (especially open G) you need to adjust the intonation, else you will sound out of tune.

Mathijs
August 24th, 2004 10:29 AM
scratched
quote:
Flashpoint wrote:
I was aware of the Epiphone's quality over the other 2 but will i get that stonesy richards sound?

You could get a 'Stonesy Richards sound' (or as close as possible) on virtually any guitar and the right amp is equally as important. Most importantly, it is what you do with what you've got that matters. Experiment with amp settings, the guitar tone and volume knobs, string gauges, some effects pedals maybe. Still, no matter what guitar, amp, flashy FX pedals etc you use, you still might never get somebody else's sound down as most players sounds (especially Keith's) come from their playing technique.

As Keith said, "It's in the bones".

P.S. I'd go for the Epiphone no question.
[Edited by scratched]
August 24th, 2004 11:47 AM
Ronnie B. Wood im just playing bitch now on my telecaster and its great

YOU GOT TO MIX IT CHARLIE, YOU GOT TO FIX IT
BUT LOVE ITS A BITCH!

Id like to have les paul but its too damn expensive

I am from Serbia and i collected 600$ for a very long time, buy fender telecaster, its so soft, and good to play...
August 24th, 2004 10:08 PM
Soldatti
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
Ronnie B - I also have a Tele and enjoy very much

You're not the only one!
August 24th, 2004 11:17 PM
WildBillGrover
quote:
Flashpoint wrote:
Hello guitar players, i'm very close to purchase my first electric guitar and i'm deciding among these ones:

-Yamaha PAC112
-Squier Telecaster Custom 72
-Epiphone LP Standart

i'm mostly concerned if they will have trouble on the neck when i tune it to open tunings because of the strings tension

Thank you all

How much can you afford to spend?

quote:
Ronnie B. Wood wrote:
a bought my first electric guitar couple of months ago, and its FENDER TELECASTER (Made In Mexico) and it costed only 600$... its gread guitar and my neigbour have me marshall valvestate 40v and it rocks... When i play monkey man!!! Damn this guitar is so good!

I think you paid too much for that! $550 to $600 is how much an American made Tele is supposed to cost. My Mexican Tele cost $369 six years ago and it has two upgrades from a standard one: 1) sunburst finish and 2) humbucker pick-up in the rhythm position with a 5-position selector switch (in phase, out of phase, etc.)
August 25th, 2004 07:59 AM
Ronnie B. Wood Yeah, you are right, its expensive, but this is Serbia, in the store there were only 3 teles, and they were all mexican, american was about 850$, but im very satisfied with my guitar and i played american and i cant spot difference between mine and american... I dont have humbacker but i will upgrade my tele... I love my tele
August 25th, 2004 08:00 AM
Ronnie B. Wood Well I just can't be satisfied
Just can't keep on crying

I have to post this

I LOVE YOU GRANDPA MORGANFIELD
August 25th, 2004 04:35 PM
Staffan You should go for the Epiphone. I bought a Epiphone SG six years ago and still play on it a lot. I've upgraded the pickups to Gibson ones, and the machine heads as well. I also added a Bigsby tremolo bar for fun.

Buy a good amp, the bad ones make any guitar sound bad. I'd consider spending the same amount on the amp as on the guitar.

To avoid problems with string tensions, buy single strings with slightly heavier gauges on the ones you're going to drop (in open G: .049, .039, .026, .017, .014, .011). There are string tension calculators on the net: http://www.kennaquhair.com/ustcv202.zip

Staffan
August 25th, 2004 06:21 PM
Busch1 I'm a semi-experienced guitar player (about 3 years), and I've gone through five guitars, on a limited budget, in the last five months trying to find the right one. I highly recommend the Fender Highway 1 series if you're in the $500-range, which is what the Epiphone Les Paul Standards go for. If you're going to spend that much, get one of the Fender Highway 1 Teles or Strats. You can get them for a little over $500, and they're all USA made. A great deal. I have the Tele and I love it. It just feels like a real guitar. Before that, I only had Mexican made Fenders or Epiphones (my Epiphone was really bad -- neck bent after a few weeks). Try the Highway 1s.
August 25th, 2004 08:48 PM
Flashpoint Great Tip Staffan, thank you very much!!

quote:
WildBillGrover wrote:
How much can you afford to spend?

The Epiphones LP St here in Argentina are 540 dollars, there are a few ones left and that's my top. There is no much choice at this time for that amount of money.

About the amps :
How about the Yamaha F-20? Is it better than the others i mentioned?

Busch1, i'd love to get a real tele (that's why i asked about the squier....but...we know),if it's not this time it will definitely my next guitar...i'll see if the stores here have it ,but for that price?....how is that possible?

[Edited by Flashpoint]
[Edited by Flashpoint]
August 26th, 2004 11:29 AM
WildBillGrover Flashpoint, if you would be willing to comprar antes de tocar la guitarra, trata a estas caras:

www.musiciansfriend.com/

Pero enviar a Argentina puede ser caro.
August 26th, 2004 11:33 AM
WildBillGrover
quote:
Ronnie B. Wood wrote:
Yeah, you are right, its expensive, but this is Serbia, in the store there were only 3 teles, and they were all mexican, american was about 850$, but im very satisfied with my guitar and i played american and i cant spot difference between mine and american... I dont have humbacker but i will upgrade my tele... I love my tele

I have heard that both the Mexican and the American ones' parts are cut in Mexico and that the only difference is that the American ones are sanded, finished and assembled in the United States. The Japanese ones are supposed to be good, but everybody I have heard says never buy a Korean Fender.
August 26th, 2004 11:43 AM
Busch1 "Busch1, i'd love to get a real tele (that's why i asked about the squier....but...we know),if it's not this time it will definitely my next guitar...i'll see if the stores here have it ,but for that price?....how is that possible?"

The Highway 1 Teles and Strats are less expensive, mainly because they don't have the high-gloss lacquer finish of the regular American Series. It has more of a satin finish. But the wood, electronics, pick ups and all other specs are exactly the same as the American Series.
I did extensive research before I bought one tried out a bunch in guitar stores, and even had my brother -- whose been playing USA Fenders for 25 years -- try them out. He said they feel and play exactly like regular USA Fenders. Some people even say they prefer the Highway 1's to the regular American Series because it has kind of a vintage feel. I'm not going to say it's better than an American Series, but it's right there. And when you're talking $500-$550 vs. $850-$900, that's a big difference. You can get them in nearly new/mint condition on ebay, usually for less than $500. Fender started making these a few years ago when they jacked up the price of the American Series. They are a great deal.
Check out this link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511255/

August 26th, 2004 01:21 PM
Busch1 Oh, and like a true Fender, my Highway Tele always stays in tune. Once you break the strings in, you can play the hell out of these fuckers and never look back!
August 27th, 2004 04:15 AM
scratched
quote:
WildBillGrover wrote:
I have heard that both the Mexican and the American ones' parts are cut in Mexico and that the only difference is that the American ones are sanded, finished and assembled in the United States. The Japanese ones are supposed to be good, but everybody I have heard says never buy a Korean Fender.

I think all the parts are made in America and then either assembled in America or shipped to Mexico, Japan or Korea.

The Japanese Fenders of the '80s and '90s were supposedly slightly better than the US ones being made at the same time but a lot cheaper. Once Fender realised this, they stopped making them and now only make a few models in Japan (like the paisley ones).

If you can get hold of one of these Jap Fenders from around 10 or 15 years ago for a reasonable amount then go for it. People tend to keep onto them and are pretty rare.
August 27th, 2004 10:00 AM
WildBillGrover
quote:
scratched wrote:

I think all the parts are made in America and then either assembled in America or shipped to Mexico, Japan or Korea.

You may be right on that; I could have my guzintas and my guzouttas mixed up.

Bottom line for most players is touch. Buy a quality guitar that feels right - whatever the brand.
August 27th, 2004 10:14 AM
Taras Hello Flashpoint!

I have some things to tell you about your question on
guitars.
I have a regular LP Epiphone, my dad bought it in Prague
five years ago. I play a guitar for 12 years, before
my dad bought me a electric guitar I used to play acoustic
guitar for seven years - Kremona 1974. As once I got my first electric
guitar I bough 15Watts Fender Frontman amp and I play it
still now. I'm honestly love The Rolling Stones, The Doors,
Creedence CR, Janis, Jimmie, Rod Stewart, so you can say
I'm kinky with the serious rock music
So, now about your question - what the guitar is better
to take? I suggest you Gibson LP - you'll be really satisfied with the sound of this axe. Almost all the Gibson
axes have the hollow sound - it is first different point
that Gibson guitars have. Fender guitars have the metal
sound, I mean not the music style but the guitar's sound -
it is very clear and ringing. As for Yamaha - it is not the guitars - it is bullshit itself!! I tell you man - don't waist your money, hopes and time!!! All the Yamaha guitars are not strong to the open tunes - trust me - that's for sure!
Keith and Brian played Gibson axes from the very start.
In early years Brian played Harmony Stratosphere - very good guitar, it has all the same form as Les Paul.
Remember - each new guitar needs to be tuned, I suggest to you to find a good guitar tuner and let him to tune it up.
All the new guitars have some factorial deffects - strings
are too far or too low to the frets, the neck may be not smooth, so you'll need to tunethe rod inside of it up.
OK, that's how it is I hope my expirience will help you.
Here I include a picture of my babes - take a look how good they are

I wish you a luck in choosing the good axe, one ask - don't
buy Yamaha - it is not the guitar

Peace and Love to All!!!!

Respectfully,
Taras
August 27th, 2004 10:37 AM
scratched
quote:
WildBillGrover wrote:
Bottom line for most players is touch. Buy a quality guitar that feels right - whatever the brand.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
August 29th, 2004 07:06 PM
Flashpoint Excellent Taras....thanks for posting, it helped me a lot

Well finally i did the ultimate research and i found a store which is a Fender importer.
The guy from the store really gave me some pointers....obviously the American Series are the way to go but they're too expensive for me now and since it will be my first electric i'm getting.....A MEXICAN STANDART TELECASTER!!!...for about $560 and a Frontman 15R for $150
The colour i think it's named arctic something...
What a magnificient sound!....when i tried at the store i played some Keith licks and it sounded the way i always wanted...i'm not Keith and i will never be but the guitar let me express myself in a stonesy way i carry since i got hooked by ''The Mr Richards and Mr Watts Band''
So that will be my guitar from next Tuesday

Thank you all for helping

quote:

Here I include a picture of my babes - take a look how good they are

i'd love to see them....where?
August 29th, 2004 09:23 PM
Phog Cheers. A Tele is always a good choice.
August 30th, 2004 12:12 PM
WildBillGrover
quote:
Phog wrote:
Cheers. A Tele is always a good choice.

Yeah, it's a good weapon too as Keith proved on I think the '81 tour when that fan came up on stage and Keith had to bash him on the head with it!
August 30th, 2004 12:46 PM
jb My new mitubishi vector is incredible..simpli plays outstandingly!!!
Page: 1 2