ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jeff Beck is keeping alive the guitar solo Return to archive Page: 1 2
6th September 2006 11:07 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
mojoman wrote:

thats a wonderful disc

I wish I was there! Such an intimate venue!
6th September 2006 11:34 AM
Joey
quote:
Martha wrote:

(I'll call you later today, Bob is on the radio right now!)

;-)

I just sent you an E - Mail .

Kins.

6th September 2006 11:38 AM
Martha Got it!!!
6th September 2006 04:06 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Jeff does an instrumental People Get Ready from his latest Live at BB Kings and it's better without Rod, believe it or not.

really? they put this show out live? Cool. Wheres it available??

I was at that show!!!! Got to meet him too. Got a pick and all.
7th September 2006 09:23 AM
Maxlugar You were there? You've moved up in my eyes, young Sway...

Get the albumn here. It was only released online. No stores:
http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=57161&sms=jeffbeckbootlegs

And now this:

Reuters/Billboard

From The Herald Tribune, Florida.....
BECKOLOGY
Jeff Beck gets back to his roots
By ROD HARMON
Hopefully, Ernesto's recent run through Florida won't scare Jeff Beck into canceling Wednesday's concert at Ruth Eckerd Hall, the kickoff point of a fall North American tour.
True, all remnants of the storm will be long gone by then. But Beck still has the jitters about performing in Florida during hurricane season, compounded by the fact that he'll have to fly across the Atlantic so soon after British intelligence foiled a terrorist attack.

His only hope is that if terrorists do target his plane, his death is quick. He can't swim, the result of a childhood trauma suffered when he was 6.

"I was thrown in some swimming pool, and they held me under for like, five minutes," Beck said in a phone interview from his home in southeast England. "We arrived at the pool, and the elder kids were just leaving, and they just had their fun with us. So that will put you off."

Even if he does make it to American soil, there's the matter of his hearing, which, like that of many of his peers, has suffered permanent damage from all those years of playing full blast in front of stacks of amplifiers.

"Imagine something on the inside of your eardrum that doesn't change in pitch for the rest of the time you're alive," Beck said. "It's like someone injecting air through a small tube, a high-pitched escape of air. When you start listening to it, you can hear all the other frequencies and other noises, and it can be very perplexing ... the head's a noisy place if you listen to it."

Beck laughs at this, as he does most things, and perhaps it's his tendency to see humor in frightening situations that will encourage him to board that flight.

"I just can't wait to get started, because when we have one day off, I get rusty," he said. "You know, when you play every day, you just burn ... and that can only happen with constant playing. One or two days off is a disaster, because you lose the momentum. And we've been off one-and-a-half, two months! (Laughs.) I need to get back pretty quick."

Blow by blow
If you're one of those people who confuse Jeff Beck with the guy who sings "Loser," here's a little history lesson:

Jeff Beck is considered one of the most influential guitarists in rock 'n' roll. After replacing Eric Clapton in The Yardbirds in 1965, he ushered in a hard-rock/psychedelic sound that presaged heavy metal, and his experimentation with fuzz tones, bending notes and feedback influenced everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Jimmy Page.

When The Yardbirds kicked him out (more on that later), Beck formed The Jeff Beck Group, anchored by Rod Stewart on vocals and Ron Wood on guitar. That lineup recorded two classic albums before Stewart and Wood left to join The Faces in 1969. Beck carried on with a new JBG for a few years before eschewing the group format in favor of solo albums and concerts that showcased his penchant for jazz fusion and, more recently, techno.

That choice has probably prevented Beck from enjoying the superstar status of peers such as Clapton and Page. Although several of his solo albums have hit the top 40, his material has been far from radio-friendly (save for a 1985 cover of The Impressions' "People Get Ready" with Stewart on vocals).

For 30 years, he was content with this, of being akin to a god to guitar players and a relative unknown to others, as he continued to experiment with new sounds and pursue his other love, restoring old cars.

Then, in 2002, he was invited to perform a two-hour show at London Festival Hall. He decided to invite some friends (including Roger Waters, Imogen Heap and The White Stripes), and make the show a career retrospective.

"Unfortunately, a thing like that can't be viable for the road, what with the availability (of the other artists), the cost and everything," he said. "But a mini-version of that is what we do at the moment."

Thus, for many fans, the current tour will be the first time in three decades they will be able to hear Beck backed by a full band, vocals and all, performing everything from Yardbirds material to tracks from his last album, 2003's "Jeff."

Joining him will be Beth Hart on vocals, Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Jason Rebello on keyboards and Randy Hope-Taylor on bass. Hope-Taylor replaces Pino Palladino, who was recently swiped from Beck's band by The Who.

Said Beck: "Roger (Daltrey) lives about 5 miles away. I was going to fix him up so he couldn't sing."

There and back
If the idea of a woman singing songs made famous by Keith Relf and Rod Stewart sounds strange, Beck promises it won't be. In fact, he says, Hart does Rod Stewart better than Stewart does himself.

"I heard her voice on one of her CDs, and then I saw a performance in Holland that she gave, which was amazing," he said. "She was covering some of our early stuff, and I mean, people's heads spun around."

As for Stewart himself, don't look for a reunion of the classic Jeff Beck Group anytime soon. Beck doesn't appear to think much of Stewart's "American Songbook" CDs of pop standards ("That's what pays the rent, I guess"), and truth be told, he doesn't think Rod the Mod could handle the demands of the JBG material.

"I don't think that will ever work," he said. "He doesn't sound the same, for starts. The thing about those early records is the raucousness of his voice. There's a pained kind of uniqueness about it, albeit there's some dodgy intonation. (Laughs.) But the rawness is not there; it's all smooth now, and it's folly to try to recapture that, which may be why he's stayed away from that."

Beck probably won't be doing many Yardbirds songs on tour, either. Although many stories have circulated about why he and the band parted ways, he says he was sidelined by illness, but the others didn't believe he was sick -- so he got sacked.

Beck got his revenge when The Yardbirds were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992. During his acceptance speech, he said, "The Yardbirds kicked me out! They did! (Expletive) them!"

"It was tongue-in-cheek, I can assure you," he recalled with a laugh. "But I don't think they were ready ... for the blatant sort of truth that would come out."

Beck plans on recording a new rock-blues album while on the road and wants to release a live CD from the tour. A film biography or career-retrospective documentary may soon be in the works as well. But first, he has to get through this tour "in one piece."

"I don't stop," Beck said. "I put the same amount of effort into it as I did when I was 16, runnin' around like an idiot."

7th September 2006 11:04 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
You were there? You've moved up in my eyes, young Sway...

Get the albumn here. It was only released online. No stores:
http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=57161&sms=jeffbeckbootlegs

yes sir I was there. He was surprisingly very nice to everyone backstage too. I've always been a fan but had always heard that he was tempermental so I almost avoided the whole scene but then decided what the fuck when else am I going to get the chance to meet a hero of mine?

Thanks for the link. Looks cool. Online albums are great ways to get music to the fans while side steppin The Man. These days its all about stickin it to The Man.

7th September 2006 12:27 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Thanks for the link. Looks cool. Online albums are great ways to get music to the fans while side steppin The Man. These days its all about stickin it to The Man.

Did you get a picture? He's a little on the short side huh?

Yeah I loved that he released that album online. I wish he'd put more live shows up. You'll love that BB show. He was on fire, as you well know...
7th September 2006 08:11 PM
mojoman possibility of jeff joining roger waters at the garden tuesday early start for jb at the hammerstein on 34th street?
8th September 2006 07:24 AM
Maxlugar Veeeery keen observation Mojoman. I bet you're right!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)