ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang revisited Return to archive Page: 1 2
3rd September 2006 06:52 PM
MrPleasant Okay, I'm gonna try this nifty cute experiment I'm gonna get drunk and do a review of that album. and i'm not gonna look at the tracklist or go for the dictionary. It will be the worst review ever but who cares (that's why I incorporated the angry looking face). You do your own math.

Rough Justica. I left the typo because it's funnier and, thus, more interesting. It's catchy in a way and it rocks but it's generic.

Let Me Die Slo. nice

It Won't Take Long. This is interchangeable, but it's got interesting vocals.

Rain Falls Down. It's not Peter Gabriel. And I'm glad because I don't like Peter Gabriel that much, except for that catchy song "I Don't Remember". Why doesn't this record contain a ditty such as that?^Why there isn't even a Throwaway or, at least, a Yap Yaap. I like the intro, though, because it adds for a little diversity,

Streets Of Love. Pictyure this sung by N'¡SYNC or Britney Spears. Shitty shitty shitty lyrics

Back Of My Hand. Better, nice background music

She saw me cumming. They shioukld have made a medley out of some of these half baked tunes.

then comes the best song, in my opinion. Keith sho9uld be proud because "this place is empty" is a beautiful ballad with a decent melody (it's not "American Woman"; I don't even like that tune a lot, but you gotta admit it's got a catchy refrain). Maybe he should have written more songs? I'm sure he did, but probably they were crap.

After this place is empty: oh no not you again. See? A funny interaction-opposition between song titles. And it's a good rocker too with the best chorus.

Then it's more duds. There's one called, what... fast driving or something. It's slow tempo, but it's not bad, after all.

Laugh I nearly cried. Good, but, okay, can you hum it? No you can't because it doesn't have a distinctive melody. So, everything should be hummable? Hell yeah, if you're getting millions of dollars for playing your songs. Dylan isn't always melodic but his better songs can be remembered because of their structure - like a rolling stone, just lkike a woman, hey mr,. tamboirune men (a.k.a. as puff the magic dragon). ice effort, though.

Then I can¡'t remember aq damn thing. Except dfor look what the cat dragged in, which, at least has some real energy. of course, then there's infamy, which it's groovy.

So, let's count the good ones: let me die slow, this place is empty, oh no not you again, look what the cat dragged in

i forgot: biggest mistake.I actually like that song. Reminds me of what a big loser sometimes men can be. Sniff

Let's count the so-so: roough justice, rain falls down, laugh i nearly died.

The rest is.. well... but, those above, those seven tracks deserve a 6, maybe even a low low seven. If Fleetwood Mac (Say You Will), Macca (Chaos), Bowie (Reality), JJ Cale (from tulsa and back), Harrison (brainwashed), Cooper (EYes of A.C.) and, partially, even Ringo Starr (choose love) can continue to create good albums, should we expect less from the stones? I like this Bigger Bang but I miss the hooks. I think I prefer Dirty Work . So sue me

Where's the fucking bottle^?
3rd September 2006 07:01 PM
Soldatti Overrated by all of us a year ago, an ok record now IMO.
3rd September 2006 07:37 PM
Jair
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Overrated by all of us a year ago, an ok record now IMO.

Agree 100pct
4th September 2006 12:33 AM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

BS. You were lukewarm when it came out last year. Those of us who raved about it last year mostly still do. Don't pretend to change your mind.
[Edited by glencar]
4th September 2006 12:43 AM
BILL PERKS I STILL LOVE IT AND PLAY IT CONSTANTLY..IT'S NOT LET IT BLEED.I DIG IT FOR WHAT IT IS AND I WANT MORE
4th September 2006 01:45 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I STILL LOVE IT AND PLAY IT CONSTANTLY..IT'S NOT LET IT BLEED.I DIG IT FOR WHAT IT IS AND I WANT MORE

I agree:

ABB is a strong release not to mention a definitive step up from the nadir of the "new" Forty Licks material, which were nearly unlistenable. Coming from a band of sixtysomething millionaires it rocks pretty damn hard and convincingly! They're not trying to be trendy (B2B) or put you to sleep (VL).

[Edited by aladdinstory]
[Edited by aladdinstory]
4th September 2006 01:59 AM
sirmoonie Sweet Neo-con moved the Bush Geeks to heights we had never seen. Andy Gibb couldn't cry as hard as they were. For that reason, Bango is okay.
4th September 2006 02:12 AM
MrPleasant My job meeting was shifted to tuesday. Thank God. ---------The "boss" was bussy getting drunk.

Does anybody here actually understand my english? Don't you know that I'm mexican ("MOJADO POWER!!")? Well: I'm not
4th September 2006 11:49 AM
Bloozehound ABB is not a real Stones album, so it doesn't really count anyways

plus it sucks
4th September 2006 11:55 AM
Nellcote Oh Blooze, watch it, or you are not getting any of the Texas Ribs I'm smoking right now, with Salt Lick rub...
4th September 2006 11:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
ABB is not a real Stones album, so it doesn't really count anyways

How isnt it a 'real Stones album' when theres hardly anyone BUT the Stones playing on it?

I cant remember the last album with so few outside musicians playing on it. Probably 'Aftermath' or even earlier.
4th September 2006 12:07 PM
luxury1 Look what the cat dragged in!--Oh yeah...........

Laugh, I nearly died--caught my attention the first time, and continues to do so...

Come on boys, start rehearsing some more material...The 20th aint that far off......
4th September 2006 01:49 PM
mrhipfl I still dig it as much as when I first heard it.
4th September 2006 01:51 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I still dig it as much as when I first heard it.

My thoughts exactly!
4th September 2006 02:15 PM
MrPleasant Another thing that bugs me about this Bigger Bang is that, apparently nobody cared what Jagger was singing. Doesn't Charlie have any decency? As in saying to big ole lips: "hey Mick, I think these lyrics suck big time. Can you do them any dumber?" Seriously, "Streets of love" is the worst song from these guys, ever. Makes "Hey Negrita" seem like Harold Pinter.

Seriously, I don't know if I even want to see them again. Why doesn't Dylan come to México or Robert Fripp? Does Brian Eno tour? When is Clapton returning? Why do we have to stand Bono's ugly mug on TV? He's a stupid fucking asshole and his singing is for fags who like to suck cock.

Brhrhr. Bad breath time. Gonna grab a meal and I'm gonna get drunk for the last time (for the rest of the year). But it's ok, don't wanna be a millionaire: just wanna live like a millionaire, and I've done it. If any of you people come to México you are more than welcome to drink from the shower. It's good for you- See ya at christmas. Just one more post for the rest of the day and that's that. Ok, maybe two posts.

4th September 2006 02:17 PM
Highwire Rob ABB songs just haven't grown on me like "Don't Stop" and "Stealing My Heart" did off of FORTY LICKS.
4th September 2006 06:06 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
BS. You were lukewarm when it came out last year. Those of us who raved about it last year mostly still do. Don't pretend to change your mind.
[Edited by glencar]

My reaction for the album was very good (remember, 8 years without a full record) but with the time it slowed down a little.
I played VL the other day after months (maybe the first spin this year) and I was surprised with it, the band still sounds hard and dangerous, the rockers hit hard with terrific guitar work and the ballads or mid tempo stuff is cool and semi-memorable, no sign of modern or poppy stuff, even filler like Sweethearts Together sounds warm comparing with some songs in ABB. From start to finish, the Stones are a rock band full time. I can't say the same with ABB.
Today, I would rate VL over ABB any day, but still ABB is the second best album since Tattoo You, at least by now.
Just my 2 cents.
4th September 2006 06:31 PM
F505
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Overrated? Don't think so. ABB is a decent album, their best since Tattoo but of course not comparable with their golden or even silver period.
They will never ever release a classic album again but ABB is solid enough. Way better than the Voodoo Lounge and Bridges rubbish.
4th September 2006 07:55 PM
IanBillen
Some Comments such as:

"My reaction for the album was very good (remember, 8 years without a full record) but with the time it slowed down a little."

All Hog-Wash. When it came out most LOVED it.

Why? Because the fucker got balls and rocks bare-bones hard (which is exactly what everyone wanted in the first place)

Now......folks want to get on the down-playing side of the fence just to have a difference of opinion. Nothing more.

Fact is:

The record is solid, 16 straight. It is direct, hard-hitting rock based album that is unapologetic for what it is and never tries to be anything it isn't. The Stones sound more hard core than any of us could of imagined this day and age and they did it basically all by themselves, just as we all wanted.

That was the fact then, and that is the fact now.

All this (well it has been a year and ....I don't know it is basically a Luke-warm album now that I think about it....Yeah right...the typical, never satisifed bunch speaks again.

Ian
4th September 2006 08:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I still dig it as much as when I first heard it.

Me too. Love it.

Pity the Stones have lost interest in it. Shameful, actually. It deserves better respect than that
4th September 2006 09:34 PM
Bob Tamp Still love it. Their best since TATTOO..hands down.
4th September 2006 09:47 PM
aladdinstory yes that is odd, because it certainly sounds like a CD made for them to tour behind, several songs would make nice additions to the live set:

let me down real slow
it won't take long
dangerous beauty
laugh i nearly died (could really take off live with the backup singers, etc..)--

i think the band lacks confidence in new material and judging from setlists throughout their career (with SG as an exception) that has always seemed to be the case. i know several would disagree but Stones setlists have always been conservative. this euro tour even moreso of course. what i find really strange is how they release a European ABB single "Biggest Mistake" to tour behind but never play it once, instead adding their first ABB single SOL to the setlist, which did well in Europe, but was over 7 mos old by the time the tour started. such logic makes little or no sense...
4th September 2006 09:50 PM
glencar I'd love to hear IWTL live. Howe many times did they do it in concert?
4th September 2006 10:10 PM
Stonesgail
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:

laugh i nearly died (could really take off live with the backup singers, etc..)--

I love this song. The guitar sounds very bluesy.
Mick's voice sounds very soulful. Yeah, I could
dig this live.
[Edited by Stonesgail]
4th September 2006 10:10 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Soldatti wrote: I played VL the other day after months ...the rockers hit hard with terrific guitar work

Well that's really been the biggest problem with ABB (other than Mick's atrocious, "my dick is still harder than yours" lyrics), the guitar work is really poor other than maybe on "It won't be long", Jagger does most of the playing and he's, well, a "rythm" player, Keith phoned in most of the stuff, the "fairy touch" as he calls it and of course no one cares for Ronnie's playing, especially not Mick, too bad cause the dude can play, but I think he lost all credit in Mick's eyes with his countless stints in rehab. B2B thrived in that respect because Waddy Wachtel was brought it to play some excellent licks.

Kind of sucks that VL had all these boring tunes and this great playing, blend the VL guitars, Waddy Wachterl, the B2B lyrics and the ABB songs and you have a masterpiece, well this side of Exile at least.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
4th September 2006 10:13 PM
glencar I vastly prefer ABB's lyrics to those on VL. Those are just horrid!
4th September 2006 10:42 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
glencar wrote:
I vastly prefer ABB's lyrics to those on VL. Those are just horrid!

what? you can't imagine mick as a butcher, or a boxer, trying to score beat up waitresses? i mean come on he can hear sharks cry, now that's some talent.

he even gets some nice clive barkeresque horror in, "politicians garish wives with alcoholic cunts like knives!"

and perhaps that is what is meant by Was trying to make VL the next Exile, getting the stones to use the word cunt in a song lyric again....Don Was=Supergenius!
[Edited by aladdinstory]
4th September 2006 10:43 PM
glencar Now that's postin'!
4th September 2006 11:47 PM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

"Me too. Love it."

"Pity the Stones have lost interest in it."

No Gazza,

It is a pity some of their fans have as I am seeing on this silly thread.

Ian
5th September 2006 12:35 AM
Taptrick
I appreciate all the Stones work for what it is. It will be a long time before the cultural vibrations of society give you the feeling that music had as high of a priority across the board everydsay as it did from around 65-71...if ever again. I think that was a great impetus for much of the Stones work as well. I don't expect them to ever equal the feel from that era mush as our own culture doesn't. I just appreciate the little gems that come a long as few and far between as they are.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)