ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Frank Clair Stadium, Ottawa, 28th August - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 28th, 2005 10:43 PM
Soldatti Great pics Gazza.
August 28th, 2005 10:44 PM
Gazza

The "hat" - look clearly appears to be 'in' this tour...
August 28th, 2005 10:46 PM
time is on my side Thanks for the pics!!!!
August 28th, 2005 10:56 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Oh Gazza...THIS is going into Superblow...Thank You.

I'm disappointed with the set list but considering this is an entirely new audience, I'm sure they were thrilled.

The pics get the Tingle going....I mean we complain about a setlist that NO band could rival....look at the songs.

Night all....

LJ.

LJ.
August 28th, 2005 11:14 PM
FPM C10 Keith looks a little out of it tonight...wonder if he's feeling okay?

The tour just started, Ronnie!
August 28th, 2005 11:57 PM
fletchesus I have just returned fromm Frank Clair Stadium. Not having seen the Stones since 79 (Keith Richards Benefit), all things considered, I was impressed. I will be interested in others observations, however, on what appeared to be a debacle during SFTD, Keith walks offstage twice and CHARLIE (who I actually met on Newbury St the week before last in Boston) WALKS OFF ONCE, actually leaving his drum kit and walking off stage, returning after Daryl and Blondie (on tambourine) approach the drum kit with encouragement. Charlie gives a very dirty look to Daryl as it ends. Bizzare, or is it just me. The begining was weird also - Jagger on the platform stage right - running back up and Charlie feverishly pointing to the set list appearing on the plexiglass next to his kit - following which Jagger runs to the position above the drum kit while it starts. As I say weird, or maybe just me. Otherwise, a polished performance with Shattered hanging together. Terrific Honky Tonk and Satisfaction from the B Stage.
[Edited by fletchesus]
August 29th, 2005 02:36 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
fletchesus wrote:
I have just returned fromm Frank Clair Stadium. Not having seen the Stones since 79 (Keith Richards Benefit), all things considered, I was impressed. I will be interested in others observations, however, on what appeared to be a debacle during SFTD, Keith walks offstage twice and CHARLIE (who I actually met on Newbury St the week before last in Boston) WALKS OFF ONCE, actually leaving his drum kit and walking off stage, returning after Daryl and Blondie (on tambourine) approach the drum kit with encouragement. Charlie gives a very dirty look to Daryl as it ends. Bizzare, or is it just me. The begining was weird also - Jagger on the platform stage right - running back up and Charlie feverishly pointing to the set list appearing on the plexiglass next to his kit - following which Jagger runs to the position above the drum kit while it starts. As I say weird, or maybe just me. Otherwise, a polished performance with Shattered hanging together. Terrific Honky Tonk and Satisfaction from the B Stage.
[Edited by fletchesus]

welcome - and thanks for the review!!

interesting. as, fleabit points out, it is very early in the tour to be having friction going on...

did anybody get a shot of the plexiglass..? maybe sympathy wasnt there, and charlie got pissed...

____

totally off-topic...

fpm: hit me with a pm - but i went and caught the ny dolls tonight.
August 29th, 2005 04:13 AM
UGot2Rollme great pics - Mick in blue - classic
August 29th, 2005 05:53 AM
Jumacfly so who won the set list trivia this time ??
August 29th, 2005 08:26 AM
Lazy Bones Lansdowne Park, Ottawa - August 28, 2005

Stones Big Bang on!

By DENIS ARMSTRONG -- Ottawa Sun

OTTAWA -- Going out with a bang wasn't good enough for the Rolling Stones, who delivered an even bigger bang in front of 43,000 fans last night at Lansdowne Stadium.

After months of anticipation, the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world surpassed all the hype to deliver one of the greatest concerts the city has ever seen.

Everywhere you went before the concert, young and old proudly wore their Rolling Stones merchandise, a sea of lips and tongues, a few going so far as to model themselves after the Glimmer Twins -- Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

You could feel the electricity everywhere in and outside the stadium as thousands who couldn't get tickets crowded Bank St. just to be able to say they were there.

Running a half hour late only made their wait more delicious. When the house lights finally dimmed an hour after Our Lady Peace cleared the stage, a deafening cheer accompanied the animated video and fireworks that set the fans back on their heels.

Jagger, dressed head-to-toe in blue satin, might have looked older than he did when he last played the city 40 years ago, but his energy level was through the roof.

"We haven't been here much, if that isn't an understatement," joked Jagger. "We've added a few more songs since then."

The Stones stuck close to the set they premiered last week in Boston, opening with Start Me Up, You've Got Me Rocking and Shattered.

Jagger seemed to be particularly pumped for the show, using every inch of the ample floor space to strut and stomp like an angry ballet dancer while working the catwalk to get close to his fans on Tumblin' Dice.

While Jagger posed and preened, Richards and Ronnie Woods settled into a jam with a trio of soulful singers and a four-piece brass section. It was as dirty and sexy as I've ever heard the band.

Halfway through the two-hour show, it was beginning to look like the band would play all night, settling into a funky groove with Rough Justice, and the traditional-sounding blues tune Back of My Hand, featuring Jagger playing slide guitar

The concert's biggest surprise was the hydraulically-fitted stage, which lifted and then extended halfway down the tarpaulined field while the band played Beast of Burden, She's So Cold and Missed You.

In the final few moments, the Stones paid tribute to their blues hero, Ray Charles, with Night Time Is The Right Time before playing their own classics, Satisfaction, Sympathy For the Devil, Jumping Jack Flash and their encore, I Know It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I Like It).

Thanks to a spectacular sound system, the old classics sounded like brand new tunes, and Jagger soon had the crowd on its feet singing along.

As good as the Stones sounded, the Bigger Bang gig proved to be a massive rock 'n' roll experience, a spectacle easily surpassinging any other concert.

From the elaborate staging, which resembled a hi-tech parking garage lined with three levels of balconies where standing-room-only fans looked down on the band, the entire structure looked as if it would take off like a brilliant space ship.

It was an unforgettable show, proving once again that though they might not cut as many hit records as they used to, the Rolling Stones are still one of the best live acts in rock.

August 29th, 2005 09:05 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Here's a picture I took of Keith during the solo for Jumping Jack Flash (which smoked!) -- one of many of him when he came to my end of the stage (which wasn't enough!)

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
August 29th, 2005 09:07 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
so who won the set list trivia this time ??

everyone!

thanks to those who posted reviews and their own photos..keep them comin'
[Edited by Gazza]
August 29th, 2005 09:35 AM
mac_daddy thanks for the pics, mowat.

did you see this huff that charlie got in around "sympthy?"

August 29th, 2005 09:41 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
thanks for the pics, mowat.

No, from where I was standing, i couldn't see much of Charlie. Though I did notice that midway during SFTD the tape loop became much more prominent.
August 29th, 2005 09:55 AM
Lazy Bones Satisfaction, at last
Stones' second coming a triumph; 43,000 thrilled to sounds of World's Greatest Rock Band

Bruce Deachman
The Ottawa Citizen

Monday, August 29, 2005

If you start me up,

If you start me up

I'll never stop.

- - -

At 8:42 last night, when the lights went out at Lansdowne Park's Frank Clair Stadium, a crowd of 43,000 erupted with a roar. Fireworks -- orange and red -- lit the sky. And three minutes later, as hard-driving guitar chords opened Start Me Up, a fan held up a sign that read "40 Years. Miss You."

It was a Second Coming of sorts, with tens of thousands of faithful pilgrims pouring through the Bank Street gates of Ottawa's Super Ex yesterday evening to see the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world.

The Rolling Stones, who last stumbled through town 40 years ago as an up-and-coming British blues act looking to make some kind of mark on the world, returned last night and played a few songs they'd learned in the intervening years.

Sure, they looked a tad older than they did when they played the YMCA Auditorium in the summer of '65, and some might argue that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts -- very nearly a quarter-millennium between them -- are a little long in the tooth for rock 'n' roll, but you wouldn't have found many in last night's crowd who thought so. The sea of black, red and white tongue-and-lips T-shirts still entering the grounds as Our Lady Peace was well past the halfway mark in its warm-up set (and long after the warm-up warm-up act, Quebec's Les Trois Accords, turned off their amps at 6:35), served as testament to the popularity of rock music's Methuselahs. (I was around when Jesus Christ had his moment of doubt and pain, Jagger sings, and who can prove him wrong?)

Pierre Rochon, wasn't unlike many of last night's fans. Decked out in his Stones' World Tour T-shirt from a couple years back, the 51-year-old Ottawa resident could barely contain his excitement as he waited to see them live for the third time (he also attended the mid-'90s Voodoo Lounge concert in Toronto). "It's going to be a great show," he said. "They're always a great show. I've been a fan since the '60s, since the beginning."

Mr. Rochon's son Andrew, who was raised on the likes of the Stones and Jimi Hendrix, had even more reason to be excited. Apart from attending his first Stones concert last night, the 20-year-old actor auditioned for, and then was asked to appear in, a Stones video that will be shot today in Ottawa. "It's supposed to be somewhere around the Parliament Buildings," the younger Rochon said. "They're going to call me tonight and let me know."

Others travelled great distances to spend the night together with the Stones. Lifelong fan Larry Keller, 42, and his 51-year-old wife, Linda, couldn't get tickets for the October Stones show in their hometown of Calgary, and so instead spent close to $1,000 each to come to the Ottawa concert.

"I want to hear all their songs," confessed Linda.

Others, like Nicholas Matko, weren't quite sure why they were there. The seven-year-old claimed to know all the Stones songs, but added that he wasn't a fan. He wore construction-type ear protection, in case the music was "too loud for my ears".

August 29th, 2005 09:57 AM
Lazy Bones Exiled to main streets, ticketless fans make best of it

Shannon Proudfoot and Zev Singer
The Ottawa Citizen

Monday, August 29, 2005

They were teenagers of all ages last night, from fans who saw the Rolling Stones in 1965, to those who weren't even born when people started making fun of how geriatric the band had become by the late 1980s.

Walking along the Bank Street Bridge before the show, looking for some good free seats, were three young fans whose collective age was almost 20 years younger than Mick Jagger. They were enthusiastic about the band, though.

Ryan Huron, 14, said his favourite Stones songs were "Paint it in Black" and It's Only Rock n' Roll.

Natan Moura, 15, corrected his friend, saying he thought it was just Paint it Black.

"Whatever," said Ryan.

Jordan Robb, 14, said, "Hey, you stole mine," referring to It's Only Rock n' Roll.

Natan said his favourite was "Start it Up."

"Start Me Up," said Ryan.

Even kilometres away, last night's show was one that a lot of Ottawa heard.

Susan Tolusso, 44, lives in deepest Alta Vista and never expected to hear the show. In fact, it never occurred to her that she would.

"I was just unloading the dishwasher," she said, "and the door was open to the patio and I said, 'That's the Rolling Stones I can hear.' "

As long as there wasn't a motorcycle going by, or water running in the house, she could hear the show pretty well, she said.

She could clearly make out Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman, Sympathy for the Devil and Jumpin' Jack Flash.

"Then there was somebody in the shower and I couldn't hear," she said.

In the Glebe, the demand for parking was a windfall for Mutchmor public school on Fifth Avenue. Parents on the school council were charging $20 for a spot in the school's parking lot. They figured they probably had room for about 75 cars. The money will help the library and music programs.

"It's better than baking," said Kathy Aldridge.

Back in the area outside the concert last night, the Corcoran family were among the people nearby, but not on the inside -- and so avoiding the $5.50 bottles of water in the stadium. Despite a multi-generational effort to get tickets, the family was unable to score last minute Stones tickets from BOB-FM yesterday so they stretched out on the lawn of a retirement residence across from Frank Clair Stadium to listen to the show.

"Christina, you give her two notes and she knows the song. So we thought we had a pretty good chance," said Peter Corcoran of his wife's dedication, which failed to produce a win in the radio station's 40-Licks contest. The couple and their daughter, Vanessa, 21, also a dedicated fan who counts Midnight Rambler as her favourite song, has never seen the band in concert but owns all the albums and several concert DVDs.

They saw the Stones Imax film several years ago, which Mr. Corcoran said was "the best concert ever because nobody's barfing on you." Mrs. Corcoran says it is the band's stamina that continues to bring crowds of all ages to its shows.

"It's his energy," she said of Mick Jagger. "If I could have his energy at 60 I'd be lucky."

Slightly less pleased about their seats outside the stadium were Terry Monger and Nancy Etheridge, who had perched themselves on the railing of the Bank Street Bridge. They were left ticketless when friends upgraded their seats but sold their original tickets to strangers, forgetting to ask if the pair wanted them.

August 29th, 2005 10:37 AM
luxury1 Nice job on the photos, reporting all!! Isnt this so great to be NOT attending a show, but get the setlist/photos pronto??!!
I wonder if the fan club will have the full report on what happened during SYmpathy?? Ha-ha.
August 29th, 2005 10:37 AM
jpenn11
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
thanks for the pics, mowat.

From Shidoobee:

quote:
the issue with Sympathy was that Charlie could not hear the percussion loop. We were very close and could see Chuck telling the backline to turn it up, and Keith and Charlie were frustrated. The people with "in ear" monitors didn't have as much a problem as they could hear the loop. So Daryll and Blondie were actually leading the way. Charlie kept falling off the loop. Mick did his best to really move around and distract the crowd. Ronnie hung in there and appeared to follow Daryll and Blondie. Keith went backstage to complain, I could see him clearly yelling at the techs to turn off the loop. For some reason they didn't. Some speculated that the loop was the sync to the lights and images, not sure. It is very difficult for a drummer to find his groove once being thrown like that, it was very strange for Charlie to leave his post. Never seen that before, or heard of it. He is normally very good at playing to a pattern or drum machine.

I guess this also clears up that they are using the loop this tour.
August 29th, 2005 10:44 AM
corgi37 I have a question (raises hand up).

Is Blondie playing guitar on Satisfaction on this tour?
August 29th, 2005 11:29 AM
Jumping Jack Takes a lot to get Charlie upset. Mick sure learned not to do it. Perhaps there is a tech who wants to learn the lesson the hard way too, LOL!
August 29th, 2005 05:52 PM
taz22 Hey....nice to see a thank you to yourself when you surf the board. A few shidoobee let me know that your thank you post was on this board. I Am more than glad to have called in this assume show to the shidoobee board and in turn your wonderful board that you have here.

I know that some might be disappointed by seeing a standard set list....but the way the boys delivered this show was assume! The guitar's have never been so loud as far back as 1989 as I can remember and this being my 19 show. Trust me......you will be impressed with how much of an a@@ kicking the boys deliver this tour.

Looking forward to meeting as many of you on tour now that I have also found a home our your board!
August 29th, 2005 06:23 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Welcome aboard Tazz! Rocks Off is my home away from Shidoobee.
August 29th, 2005 06:48 PM
fishhit Frank Clair Stadium. This was my first time seeing the Stones(The 43 year old Virgin) and what a show. The sound was crisp and the band sounded really tight. That stage was really something else. Mick used every square inch. The man never stopped moving. The encore really rocked and almost had the crowd believing a second encore might have been in the cards but you can't always get what you want. Always leave them wanting more, Right? Best show I've ever seen.

Another satisfied customer.
August 29th, 2005 07:40 PM
throbby > Trust me......you will be impressed with how much of an a@@ kicking the boys deliver this tour.

Yes indeed!!
August 29th, 2005 07:52 PM
mac_daddy this show was recorded.

developing...

August 29th, 2005 08:03 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
this show was recorded.

developing...

here is the report:

quote:
Just got back from Ottawa about a 1/2 hour ago. Its bagged and tagged!!! Grin

Everything went like a swiss watch. Took mass transit in to the venue, beat the Wands at the front door, and setup on the back of the floor, in between the left stage and rear speakers stacks. Sound on the back of the floor was fantastic. Got a real nice recording.

It was very windy yesterday. 20 mph gusts. Flags were almost flat with some ripple. Ran my mics with windscreens in my hat. Got no wind schnizzle. But the wind did cause the frequencies to jump a little bit at times. Only when a big gust came through the stadium.

Same setlist as Fenway Park, except no Bitch. Keef and Woody came to play. Love the new tunes. Definitely has the making of the best album since Tattoo You. Highlight: Mick played slide guitar and sang the new blues number as Keith watched smiling , sitting in front of Charlie's drum kit.

developing...
August 29th, 2005 08:10 PM
throbby Now that's some good news!

Mowat! Great job on the photos!
August 29th, 2005 11:37 PM
M.O.W.A.T.

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
August 30th, 2005 06:20 AM
weebsurfer Hey everyone,

Gotta say, Lots of great pics here... as somone that wimped out when they read "No CAM / REC" on his ticket, I am very appreciative for the memories of an Kick-Arse concert!!!
Also, wanted to let everyone know that Chez106 is having a contest - Submit your Stones Concert Pics to win their new album. (www.Chez106.com)

Later,
Thanks again.
August 30th, 2005 07:13 AM
Poplar

i like keith's black jacket.

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)