ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Shepherds Bush Empire, London - December 11, 2001
By Richard Young

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Don't Stop review Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-27-02 08:28 PM
Maxlugar Fuck Yup!

Oh and I love Might As Well Get Juiced too! I was a defender of that one AND Gun Face since day one.

But this song no do it for Maxy!

It no do it!

It's not horrible. Just too bland to even get any emotion up over it.

I look forward to the other three. AND the tour! CYHMK was SWEET!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaxy!
08-27-02 09:52 PM
Fiji Joe Fiji say...relax don't do it and shut the fuck up if you don't like it!

08-27-02 10:00 PM
Jah is not Dead It's ah right, Don't Stop, ain't no Indian Girl though, that's for sure...
08-27-02 11:12 PM
sirmoonie Finally heard it. Its fine. I like it. I can see Keith smiling when they do that one. Its really relaxed.

Nice singing by Mick.

Does have heavy overtones of Just Another Night/She's The Boss. Pretty clear its Mick's tune.

I wished they had countried it up a bit more. At the beginning I thought they were going to.

I like Ronnie's solo. Sounds like his playing was when he did that unplugged bit with Stewart.

I'm glad it turned out this way and wasn't some half ass rocker like Sparks, Wild, etc.
08-27-02 11:39 PM
T&A good call on Woody's solo, Moonie...I knew it reminded me of something. I think this song is gonna go over big-time live...
08-28-02 04:33 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
...Its fine.I like it...Its really relaxed.

Does have heavy overtones of Just Another Night/She's The Boss. Pretty clear its Mick's tune.

I wished they had countried it up a bit more. At the beginning I thought they were going to.

I like Ronnie's solo.

my thoughts as well sirmoonie

it's got a great beat - the distant hand-claps(?) a la SMU give a second line rythym that puts in the funk

08-28-02 04:38 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

But this song no do it for Maxy!

it makes me sad to read that max

fuck yup!
08-28-02 04:51 AM
shakedhandswithkeith Don`t Stop sounds if they don`t stopped the work for it. the rest told Mathijs

it`s a shame mick!!!

go back in the studio and finisch your work!!!!!!

08-28-02 05:04 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
shakedhandswithkeith wrote:

it`s a shame mick!!!

while i like the tune there's something in what you say - it's weird listenting to it and thinking that it's Sir Michael Jagger - rock n roll by appointment to her majesty??!! - like i said, a weird feeling... a shame, perhaps, but then that would appear to be my problem not his or theirs

in a way (imo) it is typical of him, a completely outrageous move and he gets away with it (well most of the time - he'll never live down those canary yellow tights)
08-28-02 05:55 AM
Mathijs >Mathjis .......you once were considered a Stones scholar who offered wonderful analysis of >Stone boots, music, and the "Brussels affair" recordings. Regrettably, from the day this >tour was announced you pulled a Jekyl and Hyde and have posted some of the most >venemous, insipid, vengeful, and anti-stones messages to date. Please tell us what is >happening in your life, which has caused this metamorphisis from Stones lover to Stones >basher. Clearly, you are dealing with some personal issues which have effected your

I�ll tell ya. To me, from 1968 until 1983 the Stones were the all time best ever band in the world. I do not have a strong preference for Taylor or Wood, as of course the 69 � 74 period yielded some of the best albums, but the 1975 � 1982 period yielded the greatest performances in my opinion. Then, after the big break, the Stones returned with Steel Wheels. As I was much more into Alice in Chains, GnR, Soundgarden and pearl Jam, I didn�t like the polished Steel Wheels album too much (still don�t), but the concerts of 1990 were excellent. The Kuip, Rotterdam concerts remain one of the finest Stones memories I have. Then Voodoo Lounge came. I still think it is one of the worst Stones albums ever, and the concerts (mass media productions lead by Chuck Leavell) were so disappointing that I decided to only go see 2. At that time I wasn�t interested in the new Stones, but as the bootleg market grew and grew, collecting all these great time pieces was excellent fun. Then in 1997 B2B came along, and contrary to many of you, I thought and still think this is one of the best Stones albums ever. Tracks like Flip, Low Down, Already Over, Might as Well Get Juiced, Too Tight and How Can I Stop are just plain classics, right there next to Sticky and Exile.

But then came the tour, and here my discontent started. I slowly started to have the feeling the Stones performance was really declining. Musically, it didn�t seem right anymore. Charlie was best ever, but Keith was off, Ron was completely gone, Mick�s voice started to sound flat and dull, and Chuck�s position was ever growing. I slowly started to believe that the Greatest R&R band-balloon had burst, and that they were now selling tickets due to their legacy, and not due their music anymore. Low point was the Shepards Bush gig, which in my opinion is one of the worst gigs ever. Just listen to Tumbling Dice �everything goes wrong.

This discontent was and is strengthened by the complete lack of new material, and the complete ignorance of the fans. For 5 years all we got new is the horrible Goddess. Every local band releases box sets, live sets, Anthology sets, you name it. And the Stones? Nothing. Zilch. Zero. Then the new tour is announced. Tickets prices are highest ever, in order to buy a ticket you need to pay $95 for a fan club, it�s all just ridiculous.

And why am I still a fan and still active on boards like these you ask? Because it takes 2 minutes of Ya-Ya�s, the drums on Sway, Gimme Shelter of London 1973, Respectable of Handsome Girls, Shattered of Hampton 81, the piano on She Was Hot or the sweet guitars on How Can I stop, to realise they are and will always be the Greatest band in The World.

Mathijs
08-28-02 08:46 AM
marko Hmmm,good points,,i agree a bit with babylon tour,,,i think
it came too soon after voodoo tour,we had TOO MUCH too soon.And this also affected to the band and their music.No
security was just ok,,,to me its not so good,as it should
have been,too much noise about indoor shows,but,,,now we�re
getting something,,,stones have never personally released
this kind of compilation,we only have,big hits,made in the
shade,rewind and jump.The other compilations albums were
released by decca,when stones had nothing to do with them.
When albums like hot rocks and more hot rocks came out,
stones under atlantic records,weren�t they?
And now,to be honest,,,i know this much,we will get lots
of stuff next 2 years,,,,they should film 2 mexico shows,and release it(2dvd??),new album next year,before
european tour starts,,thats why there are no shows next april and may,,,,june(partly).Keith has mentioned that box
set of rarities is on the works.And btw,this tour will last
2 years,beleive it or not.Michael cohl likes to sell more
tickets,its that simple,,,and since south america is out
now,,,they might try to go back on winter 2004,with bunch of new songs,,,,,it think this is more than enough?but then
again,anything can happen.
08-28-02 09:02 AM
Joey " Fiji say...relax don't do it and shut the fuck up if you don't like it! "

Fiji ...............you are absolutely precious !

Thanks for being you .

Bunny Joey

08-28-02 10:20 AM
T&A Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion. But, Mathijs, I think you're dead wrong.

Keith's chops since 90 have only improved - very noticeably. His Queenie's of the B2B BLEW AWAY those from '69 of the same song. Flip the Switch? Man - rock'n'roll guitar just doesn't get any better than this.
Voodoo Lounge was a quantum leap improvement over Steel Wheels.

As a live act, despite Ronnie's diminishment (something I think is being rectified this year), the band only got better through the last decade.

A shame you haven't been able to enjoy this wonderful ride like most of the rest of us!

Bottom line - your opinions are just that. They will certainly have no influence or affect on us fans who really understand and "get" what's going on.
08-28-02 10:53 AM
Mathijs >Bottom line - your opinions are just that. They will >certainly have no influence or affect on us fans who >really understand and "get" what's going on.

My intentions are NEVER to affect anyone, it's all my very humble opinion, and feel free to differ. However, it's a good thing that you understand what's going on, and I don't.

>Keith's chops since 90 have only improved - very >noticeably. His Queenie's of the B2B BLEW AWAY those >from '69 of the same song.

What? Are you really trying to say that the new versions of Little Queenie blow away Queenie from Ya-Ya's? Your kiding right, this was a typo?

>Flip the Switch? Man - rock'n'roll guitar just doesn't get >any better than this.

Agreed. Flip The Switch is a classic, and always a highlight of the B2B show, especially with Bobby's rumbling tenor sax.

>Voodoo Lounge was a quantum leap improvement over Steel >Wheels. As a live act, despite Ronnie's diminishment >>>>>>>(something I think is being rectified this year), >the band only got better through the last decade.

I disagree. At Voodoo Lounge the tempo's were so slow, the sound was so mellow, Keith's guitar was so much turned down, I just really couldn't and still can't enjoy these shows. At the time I really liked the Urban Jungle tour, but if you listen back to it, it hasn't aged nicely. It has a very 80's sound, and all the shows sound allike. But back then I thought it was a blast.

Last: the Stones can try and try whatever they want, but any post-1982 show is blasted away by the sheer energy, rawness and attitude of a 1972, 1975, 1978 or 1981 show. Period. No return of Mick Taylor, two pounds of coke, the resurection of Wood or whatever can change that. It's not a bad thing, but is reality. On half teh tracks of B2B the old vibe is back, but live, I am sorry but no.

But I don't seem to understand it as well as you do, so I'll dream on.

Mathijs

08-28-02 12:05 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dude, I keep telling everyone this, but it doesn't seem to sink in....The Stones don't do big stadium shows for people like us. They do those shows for the "Hot Rocks" fan...the casual fan. THAT is the reality. There are relatively few of us "hard core" type fans...not enough to base a major tour on. So they play big stadiums, put on a big show with a big band, filled with all the framiliar hits...all so the casual fan will be satisfied.

Once you come to terms with this, it's all gravy. Why is it like this? Money. And lots of it. Cater to the casual fan and make 280 million dollars...cater to us "hard core" fans, and make maybe 20 million. Well, DUH! Not hard to understand why they do what they do.

I honestly don't care if they don't cater to me...I'm happy with seeing the show. It's enough for me.

And I don't think it's nearly as bad as you make it out to be, Mathy.
08-28-02 12:11 PM
T&A ok. well let's just agree to disagree. And, yeah, I think Queenie '97 blows away Queenie '69. Never thought it could happen...but everytime I hear one of those small stage queenies, I have the same reaction. Keith not only hasn't lost it - he is vastly improved as a guitarist, IMO.

I didn't mean to get personal - sorry if I offended. I really kind of pity a long-time Stones fan, like yourself, who doesn't "get" how freakin' good this band still is. I love '72 as much as the next fan (I think that tour is hands-down the best tour by any band ever), but the current act is best thing still going. Like Bill Graham said years ago about the Dead - they are not only the best at what they do, they're the only ones that are doing it (paraphrase). The same applies to the Stones.
08-28-02 12:14 PM
Joey " The Stones don't do big stadium shows for people like us. They do those shows for the "Hot Rocks" fan...the casual fan. THAT is the reality. There are relatively few of us ! "

Damn Straight My Brother ..............

Truer words have NEVER EVER been spoken .

Club " Clubby Bear " Joey ( He only sees the Stones in clubs and wonders how in the Hell Steelie got in the theatre )

08-28-02 12:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot >and wonders how in the Hell Steelie got in the theatre<

Same way he got in that military school!

Talk about willing to do anything for a Stones club gig!
08-28-02 12:38 PM
Maxlugar Fuck Yup, Sir Stonesy, Fuck Yup!

YDM (Ya Da Man)

M!
08-28-02 01:13 PM
Joey Steelie got in to see the Stones at the Aragon !

I am so jealous .........those Aragon tix are precious and should be petted and caressed repeatedly ......kissed lightly and whispered to in the wee hours of the morning . Even the doves coo in the early morning hours over those club seats .

CooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!

The pidgeons shit all over Comisky !

Gimme a J ! J !
Gimme a O ! O !
Gimme a E ! E !
Gimme a Y ! Y !

What's that spell ????? Joey !

Yeeeaaaaaaaaah Jooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey !

Clubby Bear

Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road