ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Get Well Charlie!

Back after Altamont with Shirley and Serafina - December 1969
© 1969, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archive

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Album Review: Exile on Mainstreet Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 5th, 2004 03:20 PM
Bloozehound I know alot of folks swear this album is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I agree it's one of the Stone's finest moments, but is it truely their crowning achievement, and the absolute pinnacle of their artistic endeavors ? How does it stack up against their other works ?

August 5th, 2004 03:22 PM
jb yes
August 5th, 2004 03:22 PM
Mel Belli It is the crowning achievement, in that the album is good for twice as long as any of their others. Arguing pound for pound, I'd say "Sticky Fingers" is tops.
August 5th, 2004 03:54 PM
Some Guy It is a true classic must have album. I like Some Girls.
August 5th, 2004 04:11 PM
Soldatti Exile is the Stones' classic album, but not the best.
Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed are better, just IMO.
August 5th, 2004 04:14 PM
Some Guy I play a lot of music when friends are over and my wife, her friends and her sisters really like Tattoo You. Chicks dig Tattoo You.
I rarely wear underwear and when I do its usually something special.
August 5th, 2004 04:17 PM
jb Corgi, Corgi,
he's our man
If he can't do it,
nobody can

August 5th, 2004 04:27 PM
Joey
" It is the crowning achievement, in that the album is good for twice as long as any of their others. Arguing pound for pound, I'd say "Sticky Fingers" is tops. "

Arguing pound for pound , I would have to say that Marlon Brando was our country's Greatest Actor .

Now , if you will please excuse me :

Corgi, Corgi,
he's our man
If he can't do it,
nobody can

[Edited by Joey]
August 5th, 2004 04:43 PM
Some Guy Undercover= Underrated.
August 5th, 2004 05:48 PM
Gazza Underwear = overrated
August 5th, 2004 05:54 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I play a lot of music when friends are over and my wife, her friends and her sisters really like Tattoo You. Chicks dig Tattoo You.

So you "free-ball it" while the chicks are over jammin' to Tattoo You ?
August 5th, 2004 05:59 PM
DJAsh It stands out as a unique and very good album in the Stones' canon.

I think many critics claim it is their fave because critics like to demonstrate to their readers that they are a little but more savvy and don't always go for the more obvious choices, namely Aftermath, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers. ALL these albums, including Exile, are great.
[Edited by DJAsh]
August 5th, 2004 06:03 PM
Gazza Indeed

And a couple of songs on VL had Charlie doing his bit in a stairwell ("Moon is Up" for example)
August 5th, 2004 09:19 PM
The Eggman The highlight and a taste of what was yet to come, into a long and glorious career.....

yup

Prince's self titled 1979 album, is truly a masterpiece beyond words

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=10:9kqpg4kttv5z
August 5th, 2004 10:20 PM
mac_daddy i have never been able to choose which one of the golden four (beggars', let it bleed, sticky fingers, exile) i like the best. i have gone through periods where i have sworn that i liked one the best, with each of them ;P

four of the finest albums in the history of rock and roll.
August 5th, 2004 10:58 PM
corgi37 Exile is not just the greatest Stones album, its the greatest rock album ever. It encaspulates everything that rock and roll REALLY means. It aint oob la de, oob la da, it aint tea for the fucking tillerman, or even, Kiss - The Elder.

What it is, is a complete review of rock and roll, from start to 1972. It's an accurate reflection, perhaps the most honest portrayal, of what being a successful rock act is. While Sticky Fingers is a happy celebration of sex, drugs and rock n roll and the jet set life(with a few cautionary tales, for sure) Exile is the reality. The dressing rooms filled with parasites, angels weeping, turds on the run, clothes torn and frayed - Exile is the TRUTH.

Some might remember i posted some time ago i simply cannot get SOUL SURVIVOR out of my head. I sing it all day. I go home and play it once a night. The last few weeks, after i have a beer with my dad and bro, i go into my garage, with drink and play Exile in its entirety. I get something new out of it everytime. Apart from Soul Survivor, i'm currently digging Just want to see his face. It was an album filler to me, now i love it. The distorted drums, the "choir", the muffled lyrics. A-1!

No, Exile is the album only the stones could make. They really have never matched it. It's a sprawling album. A commanding and demanding album. It's the piss and grease side of the street, not the happy, sunny streets of others. It also, is not an obvious stones record. And, not really obviously a "down" record. Unlike, say the grunge bands, the stones never hated themselves. They hated others. The frustrations, the addictions, the pain and lonlieness of touring and success. It perfectly captures the Stones 1st 10 years.

No one could ever make a record like it. No one is capable, and to be fair, that includes the stones.
August 6th, 2004 12:06 AM
Navin Maybe to love Exile it is necessary to hate Dirty Work....can never understand the overestimation of Exile or the underestimation of DW
August 6th, 2004 12:35 AM
Zack What corgi said . . .

Exile is like music viagara, it keeps it up for 66 minutes straight. . . .

Agree fully that it's a survey of all the music that ever came before it . . . .

Most self-assured, confident record ever made. Proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Keith and Mick are the coolest men on the planet, except for Charlie.

I like the fact that it's hard to get at first. Keeps the neophytes and lightweights away . . .

If anyone is still suffering with the old edition, you MUST get the Virgin remaster. Must. World o' difference.
August 6th, 2004 02:42 AM
Poplar Zack - great point. It took me ages, and mucho effort, to really get a grasp of Exile. that has a lot to do with my love for it. But I have such a unique love for almost all of them. The common ground among many of us: each album has its own niche.

so, imho:
Sticky Fingers: The best rocker
Let It Bleed: The alltogether most "stones-ish"
Beggar's Banquet: The rawest, most stripped down
Exile: The most expansive
Some Girls: The most attitude
Goats Head: The darkest
Tattoo You: The sexiest

i could sit here all night contemplating this....
[Edited by Poplar]
August 6th, 2004 07:08 AM
LadyJane Poplar..I think you nailed it!!

I agree with you completely!!

LJ.
August 6th, 2004 09:03 AM
Some Guy Man, I love you guys!
August 6th, 2004 11:05 AM
Lambchop*
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Flowers and lace?

August 6th, 2004 11:15 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

Flowers and lace?

Its all about the benjamins, baby! What What!
August 6th, 2004 12:05 PM
jb Corgi is again setting the trail which we must follow....his review is dead on and moving....thanks Corgi!!!
August 6th, 2004 12:07 PM
Some Guy jb, jb he's our man...
August 6th, 2004 12:12 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Its all about the benjamins, baby! What What!

I hear Bloozehound has a very small penis...

August 6th, 2004 12:28 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

I hear Bloozehound has a very small penis...

oh no you dit int!
August 6th, 2004 12:38 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

oh no you dit int!

But you told me it was tiny!

August 6th, 2004 12:45 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Lambchop* wrote:

But you told me it was tiny!

your mamma did.
August 6th, 2004 12:47 PM
Lambchop*
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

your mamma did.

No - I'm quite certain it was you...you mentioned it felt like a finger.

Page: 1 2