ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rolling Stones in Utrechtse Vredenburg. 16 August, 2003 (ANP)
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sex Pistols concert Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
08-04-03 11:09 AM
Mr T "So either you don't get out much...or you just don't know many good musicians."

wanna... bet?
08-04-03 06:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot What I'll bet you on is that your idea of a good musician, is completely different from MY idea of a good musician.

I'm not interested in having the same argument with you all over again. It's pointless. You aren't gonna change your mind, and I really don't care if you do.

I know I'm right, and that is all that is all that really matters.
08-04-03 07:17 PM
Mr T Was it really necessary for you to join this thread? Couldn't you already tell I had no interest in whatever you had to say? I mean - you did enter the thread particularly addressing me, am I wrong? You seem to accept that you can't change my opinion & admit it was useless to waste your time,, yet you do anyway - have you nothing better to do?

"I know I'm right, and that is all that is all that really matters."

hmmm - sounds exactly like the way I remember sizing you up last time we disagreed, looks like I got you to a T. On the other hand I would doubt that whatever assumptions you've made of me hold too much water - but I'll tell ya one thing, I am stubborn so quit now

Tell ya what, after an incredibly shitty weekend it feels like such a luxury to take something as mundane as this with the slightest bit of seriousness. You were never my favorite person but I can tell you you've made my day a million times better (honest - no sarcasm), so do me a favor and don't repeat yourself with the predictable 'he's got his panties in a twist attitude'
[Edited by Mr T]
08-04-03 08:01 PM
throbby

such sweet young boys
[Edited by throbby]
08-04-03 08:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot So I can't join in this thread? Why? So you can run roughshod over it without getting called? Huh, I don't wear armor for nothing, pal.

Lemme ask you...why did YOU bother to join in this thread? Just to run down a band that a good sized portion of this board happens to like and respect? Now why would you do that? Didn't your Mom teach you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?

My Mom taught me that...but I hardly ever listened to her. At least not after Never Mind The Bollocks...
08-04-03 08:36 PM
throbby These feeble and untrained ears will forever be grateful to the Pistols for sparing me from the pretentious and bloated late 70's rock scene.
08-04-03 09:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot Amen Brother Throbby.

The Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones...they saved me from a lifetime of crappy, dull, lifeless music.

In fact, if it hadn't been for them...I probably would have tickets for Aerosmith/Kiss instead of The Sex Pistols at a club show.

Now THAT would suck.
08-04-03 09:34 PM
beer Have ya all seen the documentary that came out a couple years ago called "The Filth And The Fury"? If you haven't you must buy/rent/borrow or steal it NOW! It's a really great movie. All about the Pistols with recent interviews with all of 'em, even an old interview with Vicious that was filmed in Hyde Park ages ago.

08-04-03 09:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot I bought the DVD...also you need the Clash Docu...Westway To The World.

Fantastic.
08-04-03 09:43 PM
beer You're right SS, I will get that one of these days.

This topic has inspired me. I'm gonna watch Filth and The Fury tonight. plenty drunk.
08-04-03 10:08 PM
Mr T why don't you ask the topic starter if my input was so unwelcome, or are you here to play the role of self assumed board authority?

you can join any thread you want under your own discretion - I only asked you why, seems to me you wasted your time
[Edited by Mr T]
08-05-03 05:20 AM
Zeeta Mr. T;

go and listen to Problems by The Pistols! You will come back a different man..
08-05-03 11:44 AM
brussels affair In case you didn't know, the music tape the Stones play before they go on includes 'God save the Queen' by the Pistols. Need I say more!
08-05-03 12:06 PM
Mr T Mr. T;

"go and listen to Problems by The Pistols! You will come back a different man.."

heard that one - I wouldn't have formed an opinion on the Sex Pistols if I had never given them a try. I'll download it and hear it again just under your recommendation - but I tell you, the Sex Pistol's style of music is probably the only style (except techno/non-music etc) that has never produced anything that impressed me(though I am aware that they were a contributing factor in other stuff I like that came afterwards, that point need not be made to me again)

"In case you didn't know, the music tape the Stones play before they go on includes 'God save the Queen' by the Pistols. Need I say more!"

no - you don't, the point that the Stones like the Sex Pistols has already been made. The Stones like a lot of music I don't - and I don't feel it should have any bearing on what I choose to listen to

this is all just my opinion, thanks for accepting it if you have
08-05-03 12:40 PM
Factory Girl I like The Sex Pistols ok, but I think Iggy is a true-ass punk. He was there before, during and after Sex Pistols. Plus, his music has more depth and variety. Plus he didn't od. Plus, I've touched his sweaty slippery self. Plus, I love Nazi Girlfriend and Miss Argentina. Plus, I think Funhouse and Raw Power and Lust for Life are more influential. Plus, I love "Pumpin' for Jill".

Lord help me
08-05-03 12:59 PM
sirmoonie Sid Vicious was one of the most gifted and influential bass players rock has ever produced.

Hey FG! I listen to Iggy all the time now because of you. I knew who he was before and liked some of it, but just never gave him a real try. He rocks! Or whatever he calls!
08-05-03 01:07 PM
Factory Girl Hi sirmoonie!! Glad you're digging Iggy! Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) played on a couple Ig cds (Instinct comes to mind).

Hey, you like my avatar? Earlier, I had an avatar of him peeing, but took it off b/c I though it was in bad taste.

Is peeing in bad taste???
08-05-03 01:16 PM
sirmoonie Peeing is cool, unless you do it out a hotel window when you're drunk.

Remember when Cardinal Fang said "There is nothing more cutting edge than a drunk guy pissing out a hotel window." I cracked up!
08-05-03 01:22 PM
Factory Girl I think that was in reference to sdh's antics. Actually, that was in a C-10 movie.

No, in the avatar there is no hotels or windows.
08-05-03 02:03 PM
sirmoonie Yeah it was, thats why I was cracking up.
08-05-03 02:43 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I like The Sex Pistols ok, but I think Iggy is a true-ass punk. He was there before, during and after Sex Pistols.

Can't argue with any of your points. Did you know that the last song the Pistols played in their original incarnation was "No Fun" ?

It was also the last song they played when I saw them in '96.

Hey, they're playing the 9:30 Club and SS and I are going. You should too! Given Johnny's predeliction for political rants, his views on the occasion of playing down the road from W's house should be precious.

The rest of their tour is comfortable outdoor sheds and a few ballrooms. This is the only sweaty smelly basement punk club gig scheduled.

When does Ig tour next?
08-05-03 03:10 PM
Factory Girl FPM, I'm not aware that Ig is currently on tour. The tix for SPs are $40. Let me think about it. I'll let you & SS know either way. Thanks!
08-05-03 04:05 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Can't argue with any of your points. Did you know that the last song the Pistols played in their original incarnation was "No Fun" ?

It was also the last song they played when I saw them in '96.

Hey, they're playing the 9:30 Club and SS and I are going. You should too! Given Johnny's predeliction for political rants, his views on the occasion of playing down the road from W's house should be precious.

The rest of their tour is comfortable outdoor sheds and a few ballrooms. This is the only sweaty smelly basement punk club gig scheduled.

When does Ig tour next?

Flea, SirMoonie, SirStonesalot, and everyone else who asked questions !! (It sucks not being able to read the previous threads while typing this reply so sorry if I don't get everyone's names. I'll still answer your questions though)

FLEA !!

They have always acknowledged Iggy as a main influence. That night I was with Steve, Raw Power, I Wanna Be Your Dog, No Fun were all played. (because they were songs everyone knew how to play together !) Traditionally, "No Fun" has always been the Pistols encore. (probably 90 percent of the time) The reason being that they can stretch it out to 10 minutes if they want to.

Man I wish I was back east with you guys going to see the Pistols at 9:30. Shawn McKelvey's going to that show too. You should hook up.

As far as Iggy's "tour" he's only doing a handful of shows. Mainly places that "will pay". (beats losing money playing in the mid-west) He has four more shows scheduled with The Stooges. One of them is near you. YOU SHOULD GO. Here's the tour schedual that I lifted from Dirt:

� August 8 th 2003
Wantagh, NY (USA)

YOU SHOULD GO TO THAT SHOW IN NY.

� August 14 th 2003
Clarckston - near Detroit, MI (USA)

� September 12 th 2003
Azkena Rock Festival - (SPAIN)

� September 13 th 2003
Bol d'Or - Magny-cours (FRANCE)

Sorry I haven't emailed you back yet. I am REALLY far behind in that area. You know how there's about FIVE of you with birthdays two days apart ? I emailed all of you with happy birthday stuff and of course all of you emailed me back with the usual bunch of questions !! So I'm taking my time and being thoughtful with the answers. Gazza's first, your next, then Marc, Mike, etc, etc. Give me some time Bro !

I think (?) I got all of the answers to the questions asked here ? Next !!!

SirMoonie !!

I pretty sure you were joking about the "Sid being a great musician" line right ? (I hope ?) It's so hard to "see" sarcasm on these boards. (I get in trouble with that ALL THE TIME !!) Sid didn't even play on Bollocks. (Steve over dubbed the bass on the two songs that Sid "co-wrote") They always split the song writing money four ways and that's why every song has them all listed as "being written by" all four of the members. (sort of like "Jagger-Richards") Sid could BARELY play the bass. He was there (in the beginning) because he was a close friend of John's and that John needed an ally within the band because Malcolm, Glen, Steve & Paul (I say "& Paul" because Paul goes along with just about everything that Steve does) they would all gang up on John. Plus Sid "looked the part". If you ever hear any of the 1978 shows and hear Sid's bass parts, they are pretty "basic" (pun intended :-)

Sir Stonesalot !!

I owe you an email (or two) also ! See Jon's response !

Forgive me but the rest of the questions I can't remember the names of who asked. This sucks not "seeing" them while I'm typing !

Someone asked:

"Heroin ruining Keith's voice"

Heroin did NOT ruin Keith's voice. CIGARETTES ruined Keith's voice. Chain smoking will RUIN your vocal chords no matter "who" you are.

Martha said:

"It was BOOK SOUP, not DUCK SOUP"

You are SO RIGHT !! Now I'm laughing !! I guess I was thinking of that Marx Brothers movie !! You know what's funny is I was telling somebody about "that book store on Sunset, "Duck Soup" about six months ago and I asked if they had ever been there and they said something like, "Duck Soup, across the street from Tower ? Yeah I've been there". So I'm not the ONLY one who fucked up the name !!

Sorry about forgetting this name too (Sorry !) but for the person who was fighting with SirStonesalot and was told to check out the song "Problems", might I make my recommendations of a couple of Pistols songs for you to check out ?

Pretty Vacant
I Wanna Be Me
God Save The Queen
Holidays In The Sun
Bodies

(I would recommend more but this is a good start)

Can I just say ONE LAST THING to ALL OF YOU WHO CARE about this ? For any of you who's only "knowledge" of the Pistols is from that AWFUL movie "Sid and Nancy", FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW. That movie had SO MANY things wrong factually and took IMO way too many liberties with the truth. You don't know how many young kids I run into that come up to me and say something like, "Hey, you know a lot about the Pistols right ? Well, you know in that one part of Sid and Nancy where............." (about this time I'm rolling my eyes) It's mostly teenage kids and people in their early 20's. THAT MOVIE WAS CRAP AND WAS FOR THE MOST PART NOT TRUE. IT WAS FICTION. IT WAS BULLSHIT. The movie "Great Rock and Roll Swindle" also has Malcolm taking several libirties with the truth also.

Sid Vicious had very little to do with The Sex Pistols. He was in the band for eleven months. He did NOT play on any of their studio records. The only thing he played on "officially" was the live version of "Belsen" from the last show in S.F. on the Swindle soundtrack. (I'm talking about songs that have John Lydon singing on them) It's really sad when I talk to some people about the Pistols and the first thing they say is (something like) "the band with Sid Vicious ?". (mostly Americans) Steve told me personally (and I'm quoting him here) "Sid was a CLOWN who would do anything for attention because he thought that was what was expected of him and in the end it lead to his death"

I'm getting off of the soapbox now !! I have to catch up on my email. Thank's for reading. I hope this answers a few of your questions ?

Later, Cardinal Fang :-)
08-05-03 09:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot FG!!

GO TO THE SHOW.

I will protect you from any unsavory types.

And then you can spank me.

FUN!!!
08-05-03 09:36 PM
MarthaMyDear Factory girl wrote:

I like The Sex Pistols ok, but I think Iggy is a true-ass punk. He was there before, during and after Sex Pistols. Plus, his music has more depth and variety. Plus he didn't od. Plus, I've touched his sweaty slippery self. Plus, I love Nazi Girlfriend and Miss Argentina. Plus, I think Funhouse and Raw Power and Lust for Life are more influential. Plus, I love "Pumpin' for Jill".

Lord help me

-------------------------------------------------------------

I like Iggy Pop ok., myself, but he ain't going to be there AFTER the Sex Pistols 'cause he's older!!! lol.......................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P The Pistols are still here and I think they actuallly play more than Iggy does... Maybe I'm wrong about that but they'll both be around as legends, etc., after they all pass-away, etc., IMHO!!! I don't believe his music has more depth, but to each their own!!! I happen to LOVE the Pistols ALOT more for a variety of reasons, myself... And, the only reason Iggy didn't od is because he was LUCKY, IMHO, and because he is doing what Steve Jones is doing now (or at least was)!!! lol............ In fact, they probably hang-out together... lol............... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P The Pistols are true-ass punks, whatever that means, IMHO... I think Bullocks is more influental than ANY of Iggy's albums, IMHO!!! Besides, two of my best friends turned him down and they earn ALOT of cool points for that!!! lol............... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Besides, I'd rather be kissing someone with green teeth than sucking somone's rubbery-looking face ANY day!!!! lol............... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
08-05-03 09:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot Actually, Iggy OD'd several times....he just didn't die.

He was found blue and unconscious on more than one occasion.

08-05-03 09:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I think Bullocks is more influental than ANY of Iggy's albums<

I dunno MMD....a LOT of really great people cite Funhouse and Raw Power as prime influences.

I know those 2 records turned my head...as did the Stooges first album.
08-05-03 10:42 PM
MarthaMyDear I actually really can't compare the two because I just look
at them as travelers on the same path...
lol...................... Literally, in Steve Jones' and
Iggy's cases!!! lol..................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P I actually think
it's probably about equal in the influencing department, I
would think, but obviously Iggy was there before the Pistols
were and is considered the "Godfather of punk", etc., etc.,
etc., but I just don't really compare them to each other
because the UK punk rock scene and music, etc., was just
DIFFERENT than the New York music scenen when both of them
started, etc., and that's what I mostly look at, etc... Both
scenes were AMAZING, IMHO, and EXTREMELLY different, to me...
And, both scenes being
EXTREMELLY influential, also...

*** Martha ***
08-05-03 11:14 PM
FPM C10 It's pretty easy to see that Iggy and the Stooges were a MAJOR influence on the Pistols - Ig's been doing it since nineteen sixty fucking NINE! But at THIS late date, trying to decide who's a bigger punk is a little like arguing about which guy in ZZ Top has more whiskers. (I know, I know - it's Billy Gibbons) Both Iggy and the Pistols have more than earned their places in rock history.

The Pistols had a little more resonance in '76-'77 for sociopolitical reasons which are no longer current. The simple fact remains that, despite loudly proclaiming the death of rock and roll, they produced an album which is one of the purest distillations of the form. Johnny is one of my favorite frontmen-agitators, and he has the snottiest voice in punk - but he's not the whirling dervish that Iggy is onstage. The Pistols themselves are a one-trick pony stylistically, but who cares? That one trick still works fine.

Martha My Dear, your arguments about longevity don't wash - the Pistols played from late '75 to '78, a tour in '96, and a few gigs last year (or this year?). I am NOT arguing with you - you know how much I love the Pistols. But Iggy is a road warrior. Iggy is a LOT more adventurous and wide-ranging musically. He has continued to record and work with dozens of different musicians. The Pistols recorded ONE ALBUM. It's just that it's a fuckin' doozy! And their live sound is faithful to the album. They ARE sort of a nostalgia act, but in my book there will always be room in the world for the Sex Pistols. I think the combination of Paul Cook's drums and Steve Jones's guitar is one of the most perfect rock & roll sounds ever. And since they reverted to their bass player who actually plays, they are truly on the short list of World's Greatest Rock Bands. The idea that they couldn't or can't play is ridiculous. They can't play JAZZ, maybe, but for a soundtrack to the Decline of the West, they're unbeatable.

FG, have you heard Iggy's theme song for the film "Repo Man"? "Using my hand for an ashtray...." Steve Jones plays on that too.

Hell, even if the Pistols had only recorded "God Save The Queen", they'd still be way up on my list. That's a fucking masterpiece.
08-05-03 11:37 PM
MarthaMyDear Nice post, FPM C10, but I'd drop my drawers for Johnny over
Iggy ANY day, and that is the last word on sex, drugs, and
rock n' roll in my book ANY day (I don't care what he looks
like!!! He's just WAY too cool!!!)!!! CRACKING-UP!!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding... lol........ Not!!!
lol.................................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P Well, if *** I
*** was shipwrecked on a deserted island, it would be the Sex
Pistols over Iggy any day... That's just my opinion..

*** Martha ***
Page: 1 2 3