ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Palais Royale. Toronto - August 16, 2002
Everybody seems to be ready! Are you ready?
For the first time in three years, ladies and gentlemen THE ROLLING STONES!!!
Photo by J.P. Moczulski
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:
Begin PicoSearch Code

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tour Opener Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-07-02 11:01 PM
TwelveX5 Since football season is just about here and a lot of people start to get in the mood to gamble and make predictions what do people think The Stones will use as their opening song on 9-3 at The Fleet Ctr?
08-07-02 11:03 PM
Mr T uhhh, Sympathy, Brown Sugar or MAYBE a new one (that would be kinda cool) pretty unlikely as they never do that - but wouldn't be a bad idea. Their running out of openers
[Edited by Mr T]
08-07-02 11:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Since it's an arena, and the opener, it might be a 'vaguely' popular song - I'm thinking "If You Can't Rock Me". However, that's much more a pipe dream - it's gonna be "Start Me Up".

-tSYX --- Just- just drop us in.
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
08-07-02 11:17 PM
Boomhauer They're gonna open up with "Hold On To Your Hat" because that would be a great theme for a great show!
08-07-02 11:20 PM
Mr T If you can't rock me would be a great one
08-07-02 11:33 PM
Bluzian I still believe it's going to be "Street Fightin' Man" -
especially with all the hubbub of September 11th and so forth.
I think the Stones want to convey that they are still a
force to reckon with, and what better way to convince us
(the audience), than to shock us with "SFM"??

cheers!
Ian
08-07-02 11:39 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Bluzian wrote:
I still believe it's going to be "Street Fightin' Man" -
especially with all the hubbub of September 11th and so forth.
I think the Stones want to convey that they are still a
force to reckon with, and what better way to convince us
(the audience), than to shock us with "SFM"??

cheers!
Ian

Coming out shocking is a good idea - but if they were gonna do that, wouldn't High Wire be the most shocking opener possible? I want High Wire!

Hot guns and cold knives!
08-07-02 11:47 PM
Mr T SFM would be great too.

I'd like ot see the openers/closers/encores vary a lot this tour (besdies just between the 3 venues)
08-07-02 11:51 PM
Bluzian Ah, this is cool, it's almost like ICQ!! We're all on time
right now!!

Do you think that they will be making strong differentiations
between the arenas and stadiums? What's your hypothesis?

I've got tix for SkyDome (which Im not thrilled about), and
at this point in time, I'm deciding to sell them and try
my luck at scalpers for the ACC. My thoughts are that the
arena show setlists are going to be more interesting and
worthwhile.

you guys? Any word?

cheers,
Ian
08-07-02 11:56 PM
Mr T I hope they don't make the stadium setlists too bland a la B2B tour.... they need a few more surprizes
08-08-02 12:37 AM
parmeda Tooooooo many choices! But, to set a tone for the evening I'd like to see them start off with YCAGWYW, just to set us straight, lol...then we're fair game to have them rip our asses wide open. Does it really matter? It's going to be a toe-tappin', head-bobbin', ass-shakin' sing-a-long ALL evening irreguardless where they're at.

Hey, I wonder if Vegas has a line on this? Look at the odds...
08-08-02 12:53 AM
TwelveX5 After 10 posts these are the latest odds:
SFM 8-5
Sympathy 9-5
Brown Sugar 3-1
Gimme Shelter 7-2(personal choice)
Start Me Up 5-1
If you can't rock me 7-1
Hold on to your hat 12-1
YCAGWYW 15-1
Highwire 20-1
The Field 6-5

08-08-02 02:01 AM
dead man cum I'm pullin' for "Street Fightin' Man", but it's a long shot.

Terry
08-08-02 03:16 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! Why does it alway have to be the same song opening every show on the tour? They need to mix it up and open with something different each night to keep things interesting. I know this is going against what they've always done but it's time for a change!
08-08-02 04:55 AM
F505 What about Roll over Beethoven? Keith can exceed on that one. Have you seen your mother baby, standing in the shadow wil be great too. Hopefully they will choose an opening song they never did before.
08-08-02 05:02 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Coming out shocking is a good idea - but if they were gonna do that, wouldn't High Wire be the most shocking opener possible? I want High Wire!

Hot guns and cold knives!

Hey Nasty - i agree - that would really set the audience back on their heels...and apart from anything else the tune has the right kind of feel and tempo for an opener (imho)
08-08-02 06:24 AM
bez85 She Said Yeah
If You Can"t Rock Me
Have You Seen Your Mother.....
08-08-02 06:29 AM
riccardo Can't be anything but It's Only RnR!
First of all it does have the good opening riff(think of news reports)
Secondly it addresses a message(that could be for the whole tour)
and third it has never been upfront!
08-08-02 06:53 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Bluzian wrote:
Do you think that they will be making strong differentiations
between the arenas and stadiums? What's your hypothesis?

Well, Ian, I don't think there's any question about different setslists for different venues. How much they differ and which songs they rotate between markets will be the big question. I don't think there's any doubt (in my mind, at least) that the smaller the venue, the less Hot Rocks material. It all depends too, on the comfort level. Many of the songs they're rehearsing haven't been played in years or never before.

Re: your tickets, if you had to go to one. However, I don't think selling your SkyDome ticket well give you much advantage for an ACC scalper. Go to both!
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
08-08-02 07:05 AM
beer i had a revelation. a dream. a drunken wish, i dunno. The lights are very dark, slowly coming through the sound system is "Just Wanna See His Face". Just the instrumental track with the backing vocals.Hypnotizing. kinda like "Fanfare for the common man" in 75. Starting quiet and slowly getting louder. Any second you know things will erupt into pure Stones Rock and fuckin Roll.Louder and louder, then the RIFF. "Can't You Hear Me Knockin". KEEF center stage, in spotlight. playing an old old telecaster. cigarrette in mouth. a blatant "fuck you" to all the snotty critics. It must happen..................
08-08-02 07:24 AM
bez85 beer, now that would be cooooool..
08-08-02 07:45 AM
F505 beer,

that is how heaven must look like...
08-08-02 07:57 AM
Jumacfly Beer, i had the same dream..
08-08-02 08:00 AM
TT Too Tough would be great. And it�s true.

By the way: I don�t like them using an opener used on another tour.
08-08-02 08:06 AM
Maxlugar What about Get Off My Cloud?

It's a great sing along to get the whole crowd involved.

I agree with Happy Mother Fucker about changing it up a little.

It would keep you guessing and be very exciting.

Maxy
08-08-02 08:18 AM
Moonisup well SFM would be very nice! Also CYHMK and King Bee, Jigsaw puzzle, well and a lot more

rik

It's good to be anywhere especially here
08-08-02 08:29 AM
winter I was listening to VL the other day, I actually would like Love is Strong as the opener, I love the opening cords:

ban-nu-ban, nu-ban, ban, nu-ban nu-ban, nu-ban-nu-ban, ban

Keith out in front in all of his Keefness, cig dangling from the lips of cours,

Mick's harp is pretty good on that one as well,

Probably not going to happen, but to me, a nice thought

wintah
08-08-02 10:00 AM
Scot Rocks I like the idea of Highwire, a great song and very underated btw, CYHMK, would be a dream too, Get off of My Cloud also a good choice but for me it's gotta be MIDNIGHT RAMBLER!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Mark
08-08-02 10:08 AM
Mr T Heartbreaker anyone?
08-08-02 11:01 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Mr T wrote:
Heartbreaker anyone?

After 9/11? Are you kidding me?

I like bez's idea... they talk about getting back to their roots, they need to play that kinda breathless version of "She Said Yeah". But I think that's much more of a theatre opener.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "It's Only Rock 'N Roll" are mid/late-show staples, I think. I'd luuuuuuuurve to let them have Ronnie sing "It's Only Rock 'N Roll".

Right now, I think it's gonna be "If You Can't Rock Me", "Start Me Up" and "Rocks Off" at the arenas, "Brown Sugar", "Start Me Up" and "Honky Tonk Women" at the stadiums and "She Said Yeah" or something similar (they'll rotate it a lot) at the theatres.

As for starting the shows, I think the lights need to dim, and then a kind of swirling lighting mess comes up... an instrumental of "2000 Light Years From Home" starts to play... and a clock starts counting down from ten minutes. At around three minutes, the music fades out and the lights get brighter and brighter. Wagner's "Immolation of the Gods" plays until the shattering climax. Then, as a memorial to all those shows in the sixties and seventies, there's thirty seconds afterwards when the clock hits zero when *nothing happens*. Then an etherial voice flies through the arena/stadium... "We're sorry about the delay... is everybody ready?"

*Bam!* Explosions! The clock winks out, and the Stones spring up on stage.

-tSYX --- Dirty old sod... Steady on, then!
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road