ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Estadio da Dragao, Oporto, Portugal - 12th August 2996
© Juanillo!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: IORR appreciation thread. Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th August 2006 08:21 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The most underrated album in the Stones catalogue.

There ain't a weak track on it for chrissakes.
10th August 2006 08:24 PM
glencar Nigga please. It's not nearly one of the best.
10th August 2006 08:24 PM
GotToRollMe Agreed. One of my favorite Stones albums. Sublime.
10th August 2006 09:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Agreed. One of my favorite Stones albums. Sublime.

GHS too. That "era" was great. The boys were on the ball then. Some Girls was really good too...but Tattoo You marked the beginning of the end. They never quite recovered from that record. I liked the jacket though.
10th August 2006 09:37 PM
Soldatti I don't like the sound, but mostly good songs there.
Fingerprint File is the best tune IMO.
10th August 2006 09:41 PM
pdog It's an excellent album. More of a Fall/Winter album for me, Some Girls and ER more summer time... Some are good all year round!
Exile
10th August 2006 09:51 PM
Nellcote Got my license to drive 1st day I could.
Had a convertible.
Turned on the radio...dj says, here's a cut from
the new Stones LP...
That searing acoustic gitar jangle of IORR...
Yep, in the day, kicked balls.
Go to the sand pit, keg in the trunk, speakers all around, had 'em all singing Short & Curlies!
Gets the Wicked Pissah...
10th August 2006 09:55 PM
RollingstonesUSA Love this album!

[Edited by RollingstonesUSA]
10th August 2006 10:01 PM
glencar Mick T isn't wearing his Jackie O/Bianca straw hat!
10th August 2006 10:02 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
glencar wrote:
Mick T isn't wearing his Jackie O/Bianca straw hat!

LOL!
10th August 2006 10:03 PM
RollingstonesUSA The Rio verison of It's Only Rock 'N' Roll

10th August 2006 10:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Track listing

All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, except where noted.

"If You Can't Rock Me" – 3:47
Features Billy Preston on piano and clavinet

"Ain't Too Proud To Beg (Norman Whitfield/Eddie Holland) – 3:31
Features Billy Preston on piano and clavinet

"It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)" – 5:07
Features Ian Stewart on piano

"Till The Next Goodbye" – 4:37
Features Nicky Hopkins on piano

"Time Waits For No One" – 6:38

"Luxury" – 5:01

"Dance Little Sister" – 4:11

"If You Really Want To Be My Friend" – 6:17

"Short And Curlies" – 2:44

"Fingerprint File" – 6:33
Features Nicky Hopkins on piano and Billy Preston on clavinet
Mick Taylor handles the bass on this track while Bill Wyman played the synthesizer
10th August 2006 10:18 PM
GotToRollMe This album just evokes some good times for me - make that GREAT times. I think of it as the last of their truly great albums too. Good summertime music, amd as TTM pointed out, not a stinker in the bunch - a great listen from start to finish. I love this record.

10th August 2006 11:04 PM
gustavobala I REMEMBER WHEN THE FIRST TIME I HEARD THIS AMAZING ALBUM....

WAS IN 1986, I LIKE EVERY SONG.....LUXURY, IF YOU CAN´T ROCK ME, DANCE LITTLE SISTER.....OHHHH MAN, WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!

10th August 2006 11:22 PM
Egbert It's OK, nothing special. I like both GHS and TY better.

The "Voodoo Lounge" of the '70s.

10th August 2006 11:39 PM
glencar
quote:
Egbert wrote:
It's OK, nothing special. I like both GHS and TY better.

The "Voodoo Lounge" of the '70s.

you have impeccable taste!
11th August 2006 04:34 AM
Jumacfly IORR??
Average project.
nice cover, a few good tracks and a horrible sound.
("If you can't rock me" sounds lame whereas it s one of their best rock)

and.....Lame compared to ER of course
[Edited by Jumacfly]
11th August 2006 07:02 AM
corgi37 To me, this is THE album that alienated not only their older audience, but also their current (at the time anyway) white audience, only to lose the average white, jeans, t-shirt, sneaker wearing middle American - from the Heartland!! - to bands like Led Zep. A fine example is Almost Famous, the film. Stones aint "worshipped" by white kids in the 70's.

IORR caused that. It's a superb album. It's 1million miles away from SF or LIB. Billy Preston really took over as far as i am concerned. And, MT too. Which, maybe explains his departure straight after IORR. To this day, no one has fully, 100% explained why. I feel a major reason was Keith didnt enjoy the way the music was going. Not the black/funk influence, but the separation of the guitars into lead & rhythm.

IORR is a gem. It's so easy to see that it went over the heads of everyone. Reading reviews of the album, you can feel the vitriol of critics. Mainly, due to the title track.
"It's only rock and roll, indeed!" these pricks wrote. On and on and on. Like its the greatest insult. The critics took r&r all too fucking seriously. It was like the Stones truly stabbed them in the heart. Ya gotta remember, and i do, 1974 saw glam hit from the U.K. & the L.A. sound come from America. It was either candy assed crap, or over serious, self indulgent bullshit. To me, this time represented a real, and vast, separation between U.S. & U.K. music culture. England wanted to dress up and have fun via Suzie Quartro, Abba, Wizard, Alvin Stardust, T-Rex. America wanted to stay stuck in 1960's values, via Neil Young, Joni Mitchel, Eagles, Linda Ronsdadt, James Taylor.

Interesting to note that only a very few artists crossed over to popularity in both countries. Elton, Bowie, Led Zep among the very few.

And, of course, the Stones.

IORR is a brave album. One that i feel is better appreciated years after its release. The funk influence is just so amazing for a white band. There's Sly, Stevie & George Clinton all over it. All the stuff that was WAAAAAAY over the heads and hearts of Joe Schmo from Wichita, who just wanted to rock out, God darn it!

Culturally, i think its interesting to note that 2 years later, the whole thing reversed. U.K. went all glum via punk, which America never, ever got, while the U.S. preferred the glam of KISS and (sadly) the whole white suited disco thing.

The Stones straddled it, and in hindsight, maybe not all that well. Clips for IORR, the most famous of the IORR clips, is ok for its fun value. But the other clips (as Youtube.com has many!) shows a band not really sure of itself. Jagger looked pretty fucking stupid then, let alone, now. Long gone was the pretence of the street punks, the bad boys, the "piss anywhere" guys. It was even worse than the international chic tax-dodgers of 1970-72. It was so obviously fashion based. Fashion term used loosely!

The Stones clips of the time reveal a image fostered on glam so much more than the bearded, check-shirt wearing kind. Yet, some of the music did not! If you really want to be my friend, short and curlies, If you cant rock me, IORR are straight ahead average rock or ballads.

The magic of the album for me, are the tracks many of us here appreciate. Fingerprint File is awesome. A great ending to the album. A fine document of funk/rock - one of the best, i say.

Time waits for no one defies description. It is sublime in so many ways. Taylor probably earnt his early exit with this song (we all know its his!). Whether Keith felt threatened (he was weakened by dope & not contributing alot) or the simple "i want me fucking royalties & writing credit" story, we'll never know.

You see, i truly believe, a teeny white boy, kinda liking the band, listening to tracks like LUXURY or TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE, going "WTF?", and tuning into Led Zep or the fledgling KISS, or Deep Purple or the atrocious Aerosmith. Bands that seemingly played songs and song styles that the Stones had outgrown. I refute the influence of bands like Black Sabbath. The Stones up to 1976, really, really took a different path. They parked themselves very deep into the black funk camp of Sly and many others. It further alienated the working class, spotty Pom, and the dope smoking surfer type Yank, or the down home, Lynrd Skynrd Yank.

The other astounding thing about this record is the production values. Never have you heard them sounding so good. Shit, Charlies drums are actually recorded using current techniques of the time! And, even tuned differently. Interesting to note he is not playing the skins on the title track (Kenny Jones is). As far as i know, this was the only track at the time NOT to feature Charles on drums. Apart from YCAGWYW. I say the change in production style is another influence of the funk era of the time. Even today, dance music albums are amongst the very best produced. Tom Jones has stated he was always drawn to current dance music of any given era, as the production was always superb. But, note how out of all the Stones albums, Charlies drums only ever sounded like the way they do on IORR and the follow up, B&B!

No, i feel IORR is not only a great record, but a very brave and creative one.

And i must say, i have never actually liked the song IORR!!! I just think its a nothing song. Fine enough lyrics, but i just didnt dig it. Though the distortion on the guitars is wonderful.

Yet, live, they were still huge. The 75 tour was massive in every way.

I can see how most stupid critics feel this album is a inferior one to the likes of SF or Exile. Shit, it is! But, its a great document of the times and does contain some thrilling moments.

When i hear the start of Time waits for no one, i still get a chill up the spine.
[Edited by corgi37]
11th August 2006 07:18 AM
Nellcote Corgi hits the ball out of the pahk!
Cheers!
11th August 2006 08:08 AM
Jumacfly Corgi is really the KING!!!
Times waits for no one is one of the most beautiful song ever written,I agree with that!
11th August 2006 11:04 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
To me, this is THE album that alienated not only their older audience, but also their current (at the time anyway) white audience, only to lose the average white, jeans, t-shirt, sneaker wearing middle American - from the Heartland!! - to bands like Led Zep. A fine example is Almost Famous, the film. Stones aint "worshipped" by white kids in the 70's.

IORR caused that. It's a superb album. It's 1million miles away from SF or LIB. Billy Preston really took over as far as i am concerned. And, MT too. Which, maybe explains his departure straight after IORR. To this day, no one has fully, 100% explained why. I feel a major reason was Keith didnt enjoy the way the music was going. Not the black/funk influence, but the separation of the guitars into lead & rhythm.

IORR is a gem. It's so easy to see that it went over the heads of everyone. Reading reviews of the album, you can feel the vitriol of critics. Mainly, due to the title track.
"It's only rock and roll, indeed!" these pricks wrote. On and on and on. Like its the greatest insult. The critics took r&r all too fucking seriously. It was like the Stones truly stabbed them in the heart. Ya gotta remember, and i do, 1974 saw glam hit from the U.K. & the L.A. sound come from America. It was either candy assed crap, or over serious, self indulgent bullshit. To me, this time represented a real, and vast, separation between U.S. & U.K. music culture. England wanted to dress up and have fun via Suzie Quartro, Abba, Wizard, Alvin Stardust, T-Rex. America wanted to stay stuck in 1960's values, via Neil Young, Joni Mitchel, Eagles, Linda Ronsdadt, James Taylor.

Interesting to note that only a very few artists crossed over to popularity in both countries. Elton, Bowie, Led Zep among the very few.

And, of course, the Stones.

IORR is a brave album. One that i feel is better appreciated years after its release. The funk influence is just so amazing for a white band. There's Sly, Stevie & George Clinton all over it. All the stuff that was WAAAAAAY over the heads and hearts of Joe Schmo from Wichita, who just wanted to rock out, God darn it!

Culturally, i think its interesting to note that 2 years later, the whole thing reversed. U.K. went all glum via punk, which America never, ever got, while the U.S. preferred the glam of KISS and (sadly) the whole white suited disco thing.

The Stones straddled it, and in hindsight, maybe not all that well. Clips for IORR, the most famous of the IORR clips, is ok for its fun value. But the other clips (as Youtube.com has many!) shows a band not really sure of itself. Jagger looked pretty fucking stupid then, let alone, now. Long gone was the pretence of the street punks, the bad boys, the "piss anywhere" guys. It was even worse than the international chic tax-dodgers of 1970-72. It was so obviously fashion based. Fashion term used loosely!

The Stones clips of the time reveal a image fostered on glam so much more than the bearded, check-shirt wearing kind. Yet, some of the music did not! If you really want to be my friend, short and curlies, If you cant rock me, IORR are straight ahead average rock or ballads.

The magic of the album for me, are the tracks many of us here appreciate. Fingerprint File is awesome. A great ending to the album. A fine document of funk/rock - one of the best, i say.

Time waits for no one defies description. It is sublime in so many ways. Taylor probably earnt his early exit with this song (we all know its his!). Whether Keith felt threatened (he was weakened by dope & not contributing alot) or the simple "i want me fucking royalties & writing credit" story, we'll never know.

You see, i truly believe, a teeny white boy, kinda liking the band, listening to tracks like LUXURY or TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE, going "WTF?", and tuning into Led Zep or the fledgling KISS, or Deep Purple or the atrocious Aerosmith. Bands that seemingly played songs and song styles that the Stones had outgrown. I refute the influence of bands like Black Sabbath. The Stones up to 1976, really, really took a different path. They parked themselves very deep into the black funk camp of Sly and many others. It further alienated the working class, spotty Pom, and the dope smoking surfer type Yank, or the down home, Lynrd Skynrd Yank.

The other astounding thing about this record is the production values. Never have you heard them sounding so good. Shit, Charlies drums are actually recorded using current techniques of the time! And, even tuned differently. Interesting to note he is not playing the skins on the title track (Kenny Jones is). As far as i know, this was the only track at the time NOT to feature Charles on drums. Apart from YCAGWYW. I say the change in production style is another influence of the funk era of the time. Even today, dance music albums are amongst the very best produced. Tom Jones has stated he was always drawn to current dance music of any given era, as the production was always superb. But, note how out of all the Stones albums, Charlies drums only ever sounded like the way they do on IORR and the follow up, B&B!

No, i feel IORR is not only a great record, but a very brave and creative one.

And i must say, i have never actually liked the song IORR!!! I just think its a nothing song. Fine enough lyrics, but i just didnt dig it. Though the distortion on the guitars is wonderful.

Yet, live, they were still huge. The 75 tour was massive in every way.

I can see how most stupid critics feel this album is a inferior one to the likes of SF or Exile. Shit, it is! But, its a great document of the times and does contain some thrilling moments.

When i hear the start of Time waits for no one, i still get a chill up the spine.
[Edited by corgi37]

I enjoyed reading your take.
11th August 2006 11:32 AM
Saint Sway theres some definate clunkers on this one but theres also some really underated Stones classics on this record. Gems that have been grossly overlooked!

most notably "Time Waits For No One". One of their most gorgeous, brilliant songs ever put to tape. Mick Taylor soars on this track. Its moving.

"Till The Next Goodbye" too! A very underated but classic Stones ballad. On par with their best acoustic ballads. Could of/Should of been a single IMO. Would of been a great follow up to the success of Wild Horses & Angie.

"Short & Curlies" & "Dance Little Sister" are fun. Just fun. Fun Stones Friday night rock & roll boogie.

but "If You Cant Rock Me" is an underated kick ass classic tune IMO!! Its got all the makings of a Stones rock war horse: Killer Keef intro riff. Trashy lyrics. Awesome beat/groove. Killer solo. This is the track you could stick on any Stones album. Should be on every one of their Greatest Hits releases.

and.... the one song on this record that I fucking hate is the title track. It bores the piss out of me in concert. Its way too Proud Mary-ish, dumb, happy sing along type song. The chorus is embarrassing.

but... you know what?

as much as I hate hearing IORR in concert, on vinyl this track is KILLER. The way its built/constructed is perfect! Listen to the studio version of IORR on head phones: Its sonic bliss! Pure, uncut audio smack! The layering of the acoustic guitars over the serpent like electric Chuck Berry lead is perfect! And Micks vocals..... shit man he oozes sex, drugs, lust! One of his best deliveries!!! The entire studio version of this tune sounds raw and dirty. Its one of the tracks that should be put in a time capsule to explain to future generations what the The Rolling Fucking Stones were!

thats my .02

thanks for listening
11th August 2006 12:05 PM
Trey Krimsin Corgi, great review.

This is a highly underrated and underappreciated record by the masses. To me, there isn't a bad song on the album at all.
11th August 2006 12:12 PM
Some Guy Perfect carwashing/ yardworking kicking it with my home pickles material.
11th August 2006 01:33 PM
Jair A great album, one of my fave in all times, I love Luxury and the way how Mick sings "20 dola" me and all that Texan accent.

All songs are strong. "If you really want to me my friend" is one of my fave Stones ballad, & much likely one of their best lyrics. The acoustic guitar in Till the Next is amazing.

And, we still got, If you cant rock me, aint to proud to beg, Dance Little sister, Firgerprint file...A truly masterpiece, in any sense.

Also, Mick was kinda a "prophet" talking about the eternal American paranoia in Firgerprint File, didnt he?

I mean, by that time Watergate was story but who could imagine what will happens In USA in the next years?

These days, more than never, you can fit those lyrics very well in the USA life...

Plus, one of the best covers in the story of rock...Fantastic!

Many, many Thanks to my old friend for many years Roberto, who gave me IORR as a gift about 1976...I remember he said: "Here kid, go home and listen. Its a rock and roll lesson". I couldnt agree more.

11th August 2006 01:35 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Jair wrote:
A great album, one of my fave in all times, I love Luxury and the way how Mick sings "20 dola" me and all that Texan accent.

All songs are strong. "If you really want to me my friend" is one of my fave Stones ballad, & much likely one of their best lyrics. The acoustic guitar in Till the Next is amazing.

And, we still got, If you cant rock me, aint to proud to beg, Dance Little sister, Firgerprint file...A truly masterpiece, in any sense.

Also, Mick was kinda a "prophet" talking about the eternal American paranoia in Firgerprint File, didnt he?

I mean, by that time Watergate was story but who could imagine what will happens In USA in the next years?

These days, more than never, you can fit those lyrics very well in the USA life...

Plus, one of the best covers in the story of rock...Fantastic!

Many, many Thanks to my old friend for many years Roberto, who gave me IORR as a gift about 1976...I remember he said: "Here kid, go home and listen. Its a rock and roll lesson". I couldnt agree more.

nice.
11th August 2006 01:40 PM
Jair
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

nice.

thanx!
11th August 2006 01:40 PM
doo doo doo Dude I would love to see them dust off "Till The Next Time We Say Goodbye" with Jagger on acoustic.
11th August 2006 05:53 PM
FrankiePeppers
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Perfect carwashing/ yardworking kicking it with my home pickles material.

You make pickles too? We'll have to trade samples!
11th August 2006 06:01 PM
Saint Sway theres a tiny store near my office called Just Pickles. Thats all they sell. About a dozen different flavors. I have no idea how they can afford their lease.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)