ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mumbai - April 2003
With very special thanks to our new member Navin from Bangalare, India

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones v Zeppelin Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-05-03 10:35 AM
hipshake An article in a recent edition of The Sun stated that Led Zep shifted 154,000 copies of their latest offering, in the first week of its release in the States. It went on to say these were figures The Stones could only dream of. How many copies did Forty Licks sell in its first week, when it was kept off the top spot by Elvis?
08-05-03 10:42 AM
jb The Stones sold 350,000....however, LZ has sold millions of more albums and is undeniably considered better than the Stones by most.
08-05-03 10:57 AM
hipshake Although I am a fan of Zep I think The Stones are far superior in the studio and live. I saw Zep in '79 in Knebworth, they were really good but a week later I saw The Who and they were brilliant. Also about AC/DC, Mojo magazine in the UK reckon The Stones took the honours in Hockenheim.
08-05-03 11:06 AM
jb I think the sales you were referring to was the newly relesed LZ dvd...IT SOLD OUT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AND lz IS STILL massively popular among the younger generation. They were selling out stadiums in 72, while the Stones were not even selling out arenas back then...the stones, however, were certainly covered more in the press than LZ ever was..but truth be told, LZ dominates then in record sales, popularity, and until they broke up, concert attendance..>:
08-05-03 12:04 PM
mac_daddy
Zep - their albums are exquisite, well-crafted, and certainly of a piece (up to and through Physical Graffitti). Their albums hold up as well as anything that was done at that time.

Both bands have tarnished their reps by putting out shitty records late in the course of their careers. The zep album with the family sittting at the table is unlistenable, while the Stones' output post-Tattoo You has been hit and miss, there have been a number of good songs to come out of that period - even if none of the albums hold up as a statement...

Live, I find Zeppelin to be pretty f*cking boring. I am a huge fan of improvisation and jamming, but the 30 minute Moby Dick, or the strumming the guitar with a bow, just suck. Oh, how Plant didn't get heckled for his spewing of philosophical BS between songs is a constant mystery. The Stones have always put on a great live show, well-paced, lots of songs, high energy, Billy's Negrita dance, a big pink penis - what more could you want?

the songs written by the Glimmer Twins have a huge stamp on rocknroll, and the band's legacy is unmatched. We have Zeppelin to thank for the likes of Whitesnake, Poison, Warrant, etc. Who do you think is more relevant?

Unfortunately, JB is correct when it comes to numbers. Zep outsells the Stones in concert attendance and album sales.
08-05-03 12:06 PM
telecaster Anyone have numbers on concert sales? Zep toured at the height of their popularity (76 & 77)and that was about it

Page & Plant played Chicago a couple years ago and I don't think it even sold out
08-05-03 12:17 PM
Factory Girl I like both bands. I never saw Led Zep live, but have seen Page/Plant (twice), Page & Black Crowes (once) & Plant (solo) once. I actually love the violin-bow on guitar. As for albulms, my faves are LZIII and Phys. Graffitti. Finally, I'm a huge Pagey fan.
08-05-03 12:17 PM
Mr T musically, I fail to see any major connection between Whitesnake and Warrant. Sure, they wanted to be Led Zeppelin - but every band wanted to be Led Zeppelin after the mid 70's. As much as part of me wishes I could go back and deny the existance of anything that inspired 80's polished-turd metal from having ever happened - I think this is something that should if anything only reinforce Led Zeppelin's credit. That, and, Led Zeppelin IV alone can make up for decades of bad music dominating MTV
08-05-03 01:11 PM
mac_daddy the following post is completely off-topic...

FG - are you doing the daily Alice avatar thang?

Do you remember that article? that was the one where the author couldn't say enough about how Layne was all strung out on the horse. that spin cover was early, 91 maybe?

then years later, the guy that wrote the rolling stone feature, timed with the Alice release with Sunshine on the cover, said he had gone and fixed up while the interview was conducted over dinner...

the guy died with gangrenous(sp) arm, and had been dead for a week before his family went looking for him. The ever-astute Tom Morello said it best - Layne was an angry angel. He had a helluva voice, though. Did you ever see early pics of the band? Straight outta L.A. (even though they weren't), big-hair, metal band look - kinda funny. Their sound evolved and got so much deeper as they went on, it was a shame that, since he couldn't keep it together, they never toured after that Lollapalooza with Rage, the Peppers and Pearl Jam. My favorite album of theirs is the double-vinyl Sap/Jar of Flies, although the album with Sunshine on the cover is pretty f*cking good, too.
08-05-03 01:56 PM
Factory Girl Mac daddy, yes doing the daily aic avatar.

I'm not sure about the arm. I read his last interview and he was saying how he is not doing well, but no mention of the arm.

Jar of Flies is exquisite. You should also get their last cd "3 legged dog" cover, its my favorite.

Their last tour was in 1996 (opening for Kiss). They only played a few dates.

I think he was the best singer of the 1990's.
08-05-03 02:31 PM
mac_daddy
quote:

Jar of Flies is exquisite. You should also get their last cd "3 legged dog" cover, its my favorite.

the 3-legged dog is Sunshine.
08-05-03 03:03 PM
Factory Girl I thought the 3 legged dog was their self-titled, AIC, aka tripod. Do you like Dirt?
08-05-03 03:35 PM
mac_daddy you misunderstood me...

That dog's name is Sunshine. I was not referring to the logo that was on Dirt. Maybe self-titled album (their last studio one) is nicknamed "tripod." I really don't know, I just know that the dog's name is Sunshine.

yup - I like all of alice's stuff...

but sap/jar of flies is my favorite. I was so psyched when I saw Clerks for the first time, and they used Got Me Wrong. That movie is a classic, and not just because it uses the Alice tune.

_____

Did Led Zep's live double CD sell well?

I sure hope that 40 licks is selling more, because I saw a brief clip of Justin and Mick shaking their asses in unison - Craig Kilborne was making fun of them. My wife looked at me and said, "I am soo sorry that you had to see that." That was almost as lame as that Bowie duet he did in the 80's. They are NOT going to increase ticket sales that way. If they want to increase tix sales, they should do a reunion tour with my man Bill and Mick T. They could even bring Mac back. That would sell out everywhere - even if the two former band mates played for an short set (3-5 songs)...

I had a hard time with page/plant reunion, although the stripped performance sounded good...

as far as solo projects go - Robert Plant's sucked more than Mick's did, and that is saying alot. I still listen to my X-Pensive winos stuff. I couldn't tell you the last time I heard that tune "radiocative" by the firm - thanks Jimmy.

the TOTA in 72 and 75, not to mention 1969 and 1978, were infinitely more exciting than Zeppelin's self indulgent sh*t , and the Stones ruled in 1981. But I am sure that Zeppelin's tours grossed more. Were they promoted by Bill Graham, as well? If they weren't, that could more than make up for the dfference right there. Bill, while innovative and groundbreaking, was notorious for skimming, and cheating the artists, wasn't he?
08-05-03 04:16 PM
Factory Girl Mac Daddy -I love most of their stuff also. Some faves Them Bones, Would, God am, Again, Rotten apple, Grind, Man in a Box.

I'm not too keen on Angry Chair.

I saw them opening for Ig in 1990 (Facelift). I saw Jerry Cantrell solo in 2002.
08-05-03 04:31 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Mac Daddy -I love most of their stuff also. Some faves Them Bones, Would, God am, Again, Rotten apple, Grind, Man in a Box.

Sunshine makes a cameo in the video for Grind

all great tunes - I really liked the last one - bought it the day it came out (pre-release) on heavy grade vinyl. And those four sides sound good!

what was the "I don't go broke, and I do it alot" song called on Dirt?

Have you ever heard Sap?
_______

oh another thing, I would rather see Mick stradle a pink phallus and dis Ally McGraw, than be subjected to hearing and watching Robert Plant simulate an orgasm. Their box set (the one with the crop circles) kicked ass, though, and the stones could learn a few things from recent releases like the Peel sessions, and the Long Beach set (like releasing a complete show from the 1972 TOTA).

oh - those fantasy sequences in the song remains the same are so f*cking lame - almost as lame as KISS meets the phantom of the park (although the kitzch value of the latter cannot be overstated). I would rather watch Let's Spend the Night Together - which I haven't seen since it was on cable years ago - than the Song Remains the Same any day of the week.

The inflatable honkey tonk women, or the line of live chicks in 81 - that sh*t was classic. Robert Plant only wishes he was that theatrical or creative!
08-05-03 05:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Oh, how Plant didn't get heckled for his spewing of philosophical BS between songs is a constant mystery. <

I can end your mystery with one word.

Marijuana.
08-05-03 07:57 PM
Mr T Alice in Chains = great fuckin band - especially in their day

and speaking of Clerks, equally great movie
08-05-03 08:49 PM
corgi37 No wonder Zep are so popular and sound so awesome, particularly in the early days... They ripped off the beauty and power of the blues. How many wacked out teenies in 72 knew they were listening to modernised old blues songs? The stones took the blues too, but at least acknowledged the source. No doubt about it, zep were the band of the 70's, but they fucking lost the plot after 75. By the time of punk, they were one of the most vilified bands around. I have said it here before, but In through the out door is 2nd on my list of worst ever albums by a major act (Face Dances being 1st and Dirty Work being 3rd - sorry, i hate that record so much). Zep had the right imagery and style for the 70's, all flares and hairs. To me, they advanced the blues into hard rock/glam metal & infused it with pathetic, infantile, "stoner" lyrics that just dont hold up, except for novelty value. Meanwhile, the stones turned to the funkier black style like sly, and funkadelic. Less commercial, but more credible in my book. The stones have always had more soul, more heart, than zep's flash. Listen to zep trying to do reggae on D'yer Maker. They just dont get it. I still like them heaps, i guess i'm just trying to defend my Stonies. If zep are rivals, thats fine by me, they deserve it. More than those fucking Beatles. And dont forget, Page owes a huge debt to the Stones cause half their albums were recorded at either Stargroves, or on the Stones mobile. So there!
08-05-03 10:21 PM
Steel Wheels The Sun is all over the place with that poorly written article. He fails to mention that everything since the LZ box set in 1990 has bombed - Live At The BBC, all of the solo material, and the Walking into Clarksdale album. (which is actually a favorite record of mine)

Unledded did well, but nowhere near as well as Atlantic hoped for.
08-06-03 03:14 AM
MarthaMyDear Going to California with an ache in... in my heart
Someone told me there's a girl out there
with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair...

CLASSIC!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Just wonderful!!!

*** Martha ***
08-06-03 03:36 AM
mac_daddy while we are discussing these bands, I would love to trade for Mickboy's Led Zeppelin IV. If you have it, and would like to trade, please send me a PM. Thanks.
08-06-03 03:39 AM
ComingDownAgain First off the Zeppelin album with the family on the front(Presence) at the table is incredible it just takes time to digest. It has two of my all time favorite Zep tunes on it in "Achilles Last Stand" and "Tea For One". Zeppelin had more energy than the Stones as a whole during the 70's on stage but the music was very different. Zeppelin was more chaotic and upper music while the Stone's were more grimy and downer type music in the 70's. Although Zeppelin may have been putting on better shows during the early 70's than the Stones, the Stones were the darlings of the press while Zeppelin often got ignored. According to Stephen Davis's "Hammer of the Gods", Zeppelin was always jealous of the attention the Stones got.

The bottom line is the Rolling Stones were/are simply the most popular band of any style ever and the only group that you could argue the same for is the Beatles. And I would say due to the fact that Mick, Keith, and Charlie never stopped being Stones and that Bill stayed a Stone till 1992 and that Ronnie has basically been a Stone over 20 years now, that you would have to say no one has ever had a run like the Stones and on it goes.
[Edited by ComingDownAgain]
08-06-03 07:49 PM
purrcafe Zeppelin had some really epic, great songs, and I have to say, I was REALLY impressed by the Page/Plant shows that I saw a couple of years ago, but there's no comparison. The Stones are true blues players. Zeppelin dabbled in many styles, and did some of them really well. The Stones are, to me, just a more authentic experience.
08-06-03 08:26 PM
corgi37 Yes, Purr. I agree 100%. The stones are the real deal. Just compare 2 "fun" songs by the Stones and Zep. Faraway Eyes is a bit of fun, but has more heart and sole than the dreadul "hot dog". I always measure a bands greatness by the diversity of its work. Both Led Zep and Stones can rock hard, then do touching gentle ballads. I think this is why the truly great bands are streets ahead of bands like Ac/Dc, who can be fun, but who i have never liked much, and are boring as batshit after 2 songs. By the way, I love "Presence" too. "Tea for one" is really "Since i've been loving you" part 2, but still enjoyable. Quite a diverse album. I think Page is a trifle overrated too. He makes alot of mistakes. In melbourne a few years ago, he seemed to stuff up every solo he did. Sounded out of tune on as well. Sad really. Dont forget classic tracks of Zeps have umpteen over-dubs. I mean, i have read there are 7 or so different guitar/amp combinations used on Stairway alone. No wonder i find it hard to exactly play that song in my basement. I need a fucking aircraft hangar of equipment. Lastly, he's an arrogant, bloated dick-wad. Apart from that, he gets my admiration for making groupies masturabate with fish. Shows a certain flair, a certain style.
08-06-03 09:14 PM
Mr T Page has really gotten sloppier over theh past several years - I think he's lost most of his passion. Comparing what he does now to what he did in the 70's is unfair.

While Zep didn't tackle much in terms of fun songs or funk (The Ocean & Rock n Roll were probably them at their funnest) they did do some pretty incredible stuff & could teach the Stones a million things about how to rock harder - and do softer songs without being sappy like Angie (not knocking any of the Stones' softer stuff - I'm just saying all their softer songs are real ballads - not in the same realm as Battle Of Evermore and a few others)

that being said - I'd rather see the Stones keep milking the usual warhorses for another 10 years than see Led Zeppelin abandon their integrity & reunite for another tour
08-06-03 09:43 PM
throbby Some good points Mr T. I'm a fan of Zep circa '69-'73. I have quite a few live boots from this period and I've yet to hear a show from them that overall is as tight and in your face as some of the Stones '73 European shows. They most definitely rock at times, but thirty minute drum solos and forty minutes of Dazed can be a bit much. Robert sure did come across like the pompous ass he was with his between song banter.

I don't think it's only integrity that keeps them from touring these days. I'd dare say it might be partly due to the fear of trying to live up to the now mythical hype that surrounds them.
08-06-03 09:55 PM
Mr T I'm sure reality has hit them that they could do little but disappoint with a reunion - your definitly right that ts more than integrity

however - their studio work was mostly unbeatable (to this day I can't get over Led Zep IV)

I don't care for the longer tunes much either. Bonham was one of the best drummers - but I could do without overly drawn out solos. Dazed & Confused is one song that could be shortened a lot too - but at the time it shook everything up, so you can't cheat em out of too much credit (though the violin bow solo was often cacophonous)
08-07-03 02:39 AM
ComingDownAgain corgi you are right "Tea for One" is much like "Since I've Been Loving You" a basic 12 bar blues in Cm. I play guitar myself lead and rythym and I think Page was a better soloist than Keith as far as length and all but that's what I love so much about Keith he believes in the less is more theory like me and B.B. King, or David Gilmour of Pink Floyd they'll kill you with 5 notes while people like Page and Vaughan play 25 notes or what not in a short span. Having said that I love Eric Clapton and his long solos with Derek and The Dominoes and Cream and I love Page and Vaughan but Keith's solos just split your spine and give you goosebumps like no one elses.
08-07-03 07:59 AM
Factory Girl Mac daddy---"I don't go broke, and I do it a lot" lyric is from song "Junkhead".
08-07-03 09:36 AM
purrcafe I just need to point out how much Robert Plant looks like Patrick McGoohan from the great old TV show "The Prisoner" now that he's aged and put on a few!
Page: 1 2