ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Parken Stadium, Copenhagen 5th August 2007
© Politiken with thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Police At Fenway Park Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th July 2007 12:20 AM
lotsajizz I went with my wife. Super show tonight, near sellout at the ol' ballyard. Not very good acoustics but not terrible...not as bad the Stones' sound was back in '05. The band was energetic and it was JUST THEM. No backing singers, no horn sections, just the power trio. I had not seen them since Miami '83 and this was a better show. Sting was in fine voice and played good bass, they "yaaaay-yooooo" singalongs are as much a feature of a Police show as it was back in '83. Summers was on fire---nice tasty solos, competent rhthym and nice sound effects--he filled in for the keyboard sounds on many songs. And what can you say about Stew Copeland---the finest drummer rock has produced in the last thirty years! A few mistakes by Sting on some vocals and one or too missed cues, but this show gets a solid 89 out of 100 from me. It was good to see a rock crowd not old and fat like so many fossils are now who attend Stones shows. Easily a 2 to 1 female to male ratio.....

the setlist-
Message In A Bottle, about 8:15 PM
Synchronicity II
Spirits in the Material World
Voices Inside My Head/When The World Is Running Down
Don't Stand So Close to Me
Driven To Tears
Walking on the Moon
Truth Hits Everybody
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
The Bed's Too Big Without You
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking In Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You/Reggatta De Blanc
Roxanne
King Of Pain
So Lonely
Every Breath You Take
Next To You, finished about 10:10 PM
29th July 2007 12:30 AM
robpop
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I went with my wife. Super show tonight, near sellout at the ol' ballyard. Not very good acoustics but not terrible...not as bad the Stones' sound was back in '05. The band was energetic and it was JUST THEM. No backing singers, no horn sections, just the power trio. I had not seen them since Miami '83 and this was a better show. Sting was in fine voice and played good bass, they "yaaaay-yooooo" singalongs are as much a feature of a Police show as it was back in '83. Summers was on fire---nice tasty solos, competent rhthym and nice sound effects--he filled in for the keyboard sounds on many songs. And what can you say about Stew Copeland---the finest drummer rock has produced in the last thirty years! A few mistakes by Sting on some vocals and one or too missed cues, but this show gets a solid 89 out of 100 from me. It was good to see a rock crowd not old and fat like so many fossils are now who attend Stones shows. Easily a 2 to 1 female to male ratio.....

the setlist-
Message In A Bottle, about 8:15 PM
Synchronicity II
Spirits in the Material World
Voices Inside My Head/When The World Is Running Down
Don't Stand So Close to Me
Driven To Tears
Walking on the Moon
Truth Hits Everybody
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
The Bed's Too Big Without You
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking In Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You/Reggatta De Blanc
Roxanne
King Of Pain
So Lonely
Every Breath You Take
Next To You, finished about 10:10 PM

I heard some boots from this tour, and I gotta say they were not that bad.
29th July 2007 12:39 AM
lotsajizz the band CAN play, especially the drummer...I know Sting's personality is rather off putting, but I always liked his jammin' and he's always been a fine live performer
29th July 2007 12:41 AM
robpop I have always been a Police fan. It's just when Gordon's head got to big.
29th July 2007 12:46 AM
lotsajizz ol' Gordo DID get rather full of himself there for a while

I saw the Police on the Ghosts Tour in Providence, April '82, on the Synchronicity Tour in Miami October '83, and Sting six times in summer '93 when I did the Dead's summer tour and he opened all the dates....at RFK June 24th or 25th 1993, the last day of the tour, Jerry came out and jammed with Sting on Walking On The Moon and Message In A Bottle....way cool...it was my daughter's first and only Dead show, she started wailin' when the Dead hit the stage and we only lasted a set before we realized she just was not going to fall asleep no matter how much I danced with her in my arms....she was nine months old and had always fallen asleep every night at home to me boggeyin' with a Dead tape, but the whole 60,000 screaming trippin' fans was too much...she loved Sting though, coo'd throughout....

another review from tonight--
The Police bring more than memories to Fenway Park

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, July 29, 2007

BY RICK MASSIMO

Journal Pop Music Writer

BOSTON — When The Police were dominating the pop-music world in the early ’80s, there was popular speculation as to whether the British-American trio were more accurately described as singer and chief songwriter Sting and his backup band.

Well, the fact that Sting has had a successful solo career for more than 20 years makes one argument for that case, but last night’s Police reunion at Fenway Park (the first of two shows; the second is tonight) made the other. While Sting’s durable pop gems were the backbone, the highlight of the two-hour show was hearing guitarist Andy Summers and drummer Stewart Copeland back in action.

Sting played the suave, concerned rock god as always, with his keening voice and fleet-fingered reggae-influenced bass playing in fine shape. (OK, so he took it down an octave for “So Lonely,” but give him a break.) Summers, who kicked the concert into gear from the intro to the opener “Message in a Bottle,” tore through straightforward rock solos in “Synchronicity II” and “Can’t Stand Losing You,” just to name a few, providing his distinctive dirty-yet-synthesized tone and all the time alternating between trying on the rock-god pose and thinking better of it.

And Copeland, who has kept an even lower profile than Summers (as a performer, anyway) since The Police’s “hiatus” began in 1984, was once again one of the legendary drummers of late-period rock: volcanic and loose-limbed, throwing in just enough accents to propel rather than clutter the groove and to keep listeners guessing.

While The Police have been away long enough that a greatest-hits set was just fine — songs came from all of the group’s five (geez, was it really only five?) albums — the extensions and improvisations that the group was always famous for kept the material fresh.

Their jams were always hit-or-miss affairs, but last night they mostly hit. Performing strictly as a trio, eschewing the horn sections and backup singers of the last concert tours of their first go-round was a smart move — the better for the kind of tight communication that powers successful jams.

“Driven to Tears” went for the throat from the get-go with a precursor of the full-speed guitar-solo ending. And while “Walking on the Moon” and the relative rarity “Truth Hits Everybody” dragged somewhat, every time it seemed the group was succumbing to age, something such as a full-tilt (and even faster) “So Lonely” came along to reassure everyone. “When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What’s Still Around” was highlighted by a Summers guitar solo that verged into Middle Eastern melody; the double-tempo jam that ended “Walking In Your Footsteps” was a visceral shocker and the extended “Can’t Stand Losing You” was particularly clangorous.

“Wrapped Around Your Finger” saw Copeland man a sprawling percussion kit, with rolling malleted drums on the choruses, but even on relatively straightforward renditions of songs such as “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” and “Don’t Stand So Close to Me,” the addition of unusual double choruses showed that the rehearsal process consisted of more than remembering the record.

There wasn’t enough evidence to judge either way as to whether The Police’s supposedly chilly interpersonal relations had improved any. It was hardly a love fest; there were very few words spoken on stage (and all by Sting), but his bet-I-can-make-you-look stares at Summers during several guitar solos were endearing.

“Every Breath You Take” ended the regular set, simply as a nod to its hit status, but it was straightforward and a relative letdown; it was more fitting that a noisy, full-tilt “All I Want Is To Be Next to You” closed out the night.

Fiction Plane, led by Sting’s son Joe Sumner, opened the show with chilly ’80s-style rock reminiscent of Echo and the Bunnymen. Their songs were catchy enough, but their attempts at improvisations were more mannered, not as far afield from the songs, and less skilled.

Sting played the suave, concerned rock god as always, with his keening voice and fleet-fingered reggae-influenced bass playing in fine shape.

[Edited by lotsajizz]
29th July 2007 02:17 AM
Dan I kinda liked the LA show though it didn;t quite live up to the excitement I felt when it was first announced. Wished I would have saw Radio Birdman instead though I am glad I got to see them just once. Definitely don't like Sting but what got me interested in the Police again was seeing Andy Summers solo a few years ago in a intimate setting. Gotta track down a boot of Jerry Garcia jamming with Sting, that would be interesting. Surprisingly I liked Fiction Plane too.

Saw Joan Jett tonight and the Melvins last night so it was a good weekend for gigs on the west coast.
29th July 2007 02:19 AM
lotsajizz I love Joan Jett...seen her a half dozen times since 1981
29th July 2007 09:40 AM
BILL PERKS STEWART COPELAND IS MY FAV MUSICIAN OF ANY KIND..ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!
29th July 2007 09:57 AM
gimmekeef Hey!!...I'm one of those old guys you see at a Stones show.Matter of fact I'm so old I remember when the Dead Sea was just sick...Glad you enjoyed the Police just dont pick on us geezers huh?
29th July 2007 10:14 AM
Gazza "a solid 89 out of 100 from me"

WTF? LOL

never saw The Police live, but saw Sting when he played here in '86. Surprisingly brilliant show. Darryl Jones was on bass. Had a chat with him at the Stones Paris gig almost ten years later and for some reason his memory of that show was quite vivid.
29th July 2007 10:53 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Hey!!...I'm one of those old guys you see at a Stones show.Matter of fact I'm so old I remember when the Dead Sea was just sick...Glad you enjoyed the Police just dont pick on us geezers huh?

I like the Stones and thus I like geezers...it's morbidly obese old people who will never live past their 60's that I dislike....the NYC area has more per capita than any concert venue I've been to....but then again I've never been to Texas
29th July 2007 12:45 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Dan wrote:
Gotta track down a boot of Jerry Garcia jamming with Sting, that would be interesting.

Garcia joined Sting three times when he opened for the Dead in '93.

Soldier Field on 6/18 for Tea In The Sahara > Consider Me Gone, RFK Stadium on 6/25 for the same, and 6/26 for Walking On The Moon > Consider Me Gone > Down So Long.

SBD of 6/26 was up on dime a while back.
PM me if you're not able to find it.
29th July 2007 12:50 PM
lotsajizz so much for trying to recall events with accuracy from a Dead show on my part!
29th July 2007 02:35 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Garcia joined Sting three times when he opened for the Dead in '93.

Soldier Field on 6/18 for Tea In The Sahara > Consider Me Gone, RFK Stadium on 6/25 for the same, and 6/26 for Walking On The Moon > Consider Me Gone > Down So Long.

SBD of 6/26 was up on dime a while back.
PM me if you're not able to find it.

Saw Sting open for the Dead in Vegas. He smoked them off the stage.
29th July 2007 03:07 PM
fireontheplatter i saw this band after they came out with regatta de blanc in a gymnasium in montreal....it was brillient.

the police are a great band with great songs.
29th July 2007 03:10 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Sting was on fire that tour......less jazz BS and more rock
29th July 2007 04:00 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

I like the Stones and thus I like geezers...it's morbidly obese old people who will never live past their 60's that I dislike....the NYC area has more per capita than any concert venue I've been to....but then again I've never been to Texas

you are a perfect example of why this country is going to hell in a bucket.
you can't stand fat people and you ogle the pretty young gals.
why on earth do fat people piss you off...and what is so wrong with less than average looking gals?

don't get me entirely wrong here...but. most humans gain pounds as we age...its natural.
one of my lady friends in boulder co is fucking huge, but one of the kindest gals i have ever met...will feed you and drink you and shoot the shit for hours.
30th July 2007 01:14 PM
Joey " .... but one of the kindest gals i have ever met...will feed you and drink you and shoot the shit for hours. "

< --- What about sex ?! ...... How is she ?!

Oh , Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fijikins ) ... You BAD !!!!!!!

[cc:ss]
[Edited by Joey]
30th July 2007 01:49 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Gaining a few pounds, even being 10-20 pounds overweight--BFD. That is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about HEFFERS!!!!
Our nation is experiencing morbid obesity at an epidemic rate. Our societal opprobrium must be unmistakably delivered to stop this now!! Being morbidly obese is not like being black or white or being jewish or being catholic. It is BAD and no rationalization exists to change this conclusion! If we ever had national mobilization and conscription as in the 40's, 20% would likely drop dead of heart failure in boot camp! The morbidly obese consume (literally) a disproportionate share of societal resources. Next time you wondering why the ER wait is so long contemplate the fat 60 year olds having heart attacks that your doctor is probably delayed with!
[Edited by lotsajizz]
30th July 2007 02:03 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Gaining a few pounds, even being 10-20 pounds overweight--BFD. That is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about HEFFERS!!!!
Our nation is experiencing morbid obesity at an epidemic rate. Our societal opprobrium must be unmistakably delivered to stop this now!! Being morbidly obese is not like being black or white or being jewish or being catholic. It is BAD and no rationalization exists to change this conclusion! If we ever had national mobilization and conscription as in the 40's, 20% would likely drop dead of heart failure in boot camp! The morbidly obese consume (literally) a disproportionate share of societal resources. Next time you wondering why the ER wait is so long contemplate the fat 60 year olds having heart attacks that your doctor is probably delayed with!
[Edited by lotsajizz]

Hi Jizzy ....................!!!
30th July 2007 02:05 PM
lotsajizz JOEY!!!

a glass of merlot with lunch, but an afternoon of work still ahead.....the hard stuff awaits tonight

bourbon, cognac, or Irish whiskey....tough to decide!
30th July 2007 02:09 PM
Joey " a glass of merlot with lunch.....the hard stuff awaits tonight "

Nice .

" bourbon, cognac, or Irish whiskey....tough to decide! "

How about all three ?! -- That Irish Whiskey is powerful stuff .. but very good . ( read : Powers Whiskey )

www.Dublinerpubomaha.com

30th July 2007 02:12 PM
lotsajizz Powers, Bushmills, Jameson's, Paddy

it's ALL good

I highly reccomend visiting the Bushmill distillery--a true shrine and a hop, skip, and a jump from the wonderous Giant's Causeway
30th July 2007 03:44 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Powers, Bushmills, Jameson's, Paddy

it's ALL good

I highly reccomend visiting the Bushmill distillery--a true shrine and a hop, skip, and a jump from the wonderous Giant's Causeway

Hmmmmmmmm ! I have never been to the Bushmill Distillery .

I bet it is a true shine indeed

" Must Go to Bushmill Ronnie ! "

'kins.
30th July 2007 04:36 PM
mojoman
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

nobody smokes the dead off the stage, well except for woody and keef.......
30th July 2007 05:11 PM
lotsajizz ALL bands have off days....let me assure you that the Grateful Dead, despite being the best band in the World on many a night, were no exception. My last two shows, in 1995, witnessed Bob Dylan smoking them off the stage!
30th July 2007 05:17 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Joey wrote:
" .... but one of the kindest gals i have ever met...will feed you and drink you and shoot the shit for hours. "

< --- What about sex ?! ...... How is she ?!

Oh , Lil' Fella ... You BAD !!!!!!!

i am not lil by the way....

we never did it either

why the hell am i telling you this?

she cooked up a mean steak and salade tho.....we drank the occasional shot of frangellica.
30th July 2007 05:23 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

[Edited by lotsajizz]

i couldn't agree more....you are right.

who's to blame...the bars for happy hour...3 dollars for a dozen wings and potato boats.
30th July 2007 05:29 PM
Sid Vicious
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

why on earth do fat people piss you off...and what is so wrong with less than average looking gals?

don't get me entirely wrong here...but. most humans gain pounds as we age...its natural.
one of my lady friends in boulder co is fucking huge, but one of the kindest gals i have ever met...will feed you and drink you and shoot the shit for hours.

You're a fucking poof!
30th July 2007 05:31 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Sid Vicious wrote:

You're a fucking poof!

so are you sweetheart
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)