ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Thanks Mr. Jimmy !!
After August 3rd rehearsals
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with a lot of thank yous!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chuck 's Bigger Bang Tour Diary Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 2nd, 2005 11:58 AM
Jeep It's on Chuck levell website here :
http://www.chuckleavell.com/diary.html

Highlights :
- 50-60 songs have been rehearsed so far
- Best songs in Chuck opinion : RJ, SOL, BOHM, Rain Fall Down and Neo Con.
For the start of the tour, not all of these best songs 'll be performed but certainly RJ and SOL because they are on the air.
- Chuck is working hard on the choice of the songs to be choosen and performed during the Bigger Bang Tour. Very soon he'll work with Mick on this topic (that confirms that Chuck's opinion is extremely important for the daily setlist choice).
August 2nd, 2005 12:48 PM
Saint Sway "the horns and the background vocalists have arrived..."

OH SHIT!
August 2nd, 2005 12:59 PM
Poplar
between this and the uncut mag cover ... a rough morning.
August 2nd, 2005 01:03 PM
Saint Sway LOL!!!
August 2nd, 2005 01:03 PM
Monkey Woman "But the main thing is that the band is really beginning to gel."

http://www.chuckleavell.com/diary6.html

August 2nd, 2005 01:11 PM
mac_daddy the horns have arrived, and bobby keys is part of the crew...

it looks like it will be the full revue this time 'round - which isnt that bad of a thing, and really was to be expected...

i am encouraged that he says the band is beginning to gel, and that they are digging deep to find a mix of warhorses and "rareties"

let's just hope the revue gets tight, in a hurry. i dont really care what i hear (i mean, i do, but..) i just want the band to play well, and play together. y'know - inspired, and stuff...

and from the way the band looks (smiling post-rehearsals) to published reports, we might just see all of that good stuff ver soon...

the new songs - well, we have heard 4. one is great, two are fine, and one i'm ambivalent about...

i still hold out hope that they do a mini acoustic set, a'la 1969. they could do a few tunes, two on stools, and then a third segueway tune - a great place to revive the u gotta move chorus line, or intro back of my hand, or rip through love in vain with ronnie on slide...
August 2nd, 2005 01:14 PM
Monkey Woman And another tidbit:

"I've been sorting through all the lists of songs given to me by friends and associates who are Stones fans. Compararing this with the songs we've been rehearsing and the ones that show the most promise of getting to the stage. [...] I'll be meeting with Mick to put our heads together on this."
http://www.chuckleavell.com/diary6.html
http://www.chuckleavell.com/diary8.html

Sort well, Chuck, we're highly demanding!
August 2nd, 2005 01:21 PM
ListenToTheLion Unfortunately the whole circus has arrived. I had a slight hope the four of them including a competent pianist would do the Big Bang Tour. But all the lackeys are back. It sounds promising!
August 2nd, 2005 01:28 PM
Saint Sway I've said it before.... gonna say it again...

Keep Lisa.

Keep Bobby Keys.

ditch the rest of the horns

ditch Blondie

replace Chuck with Ian MacLagan

is Bernard really necessary?? If so, keep him. But only on songs he really needs to be out there for. Same with Fisher & Keys.

time to strip it down and scale it back. In every sense - esp the size of the venues
August 2nd, 2005 02:15 PM
gimmekeef Yeah..I can see Chuck telling Keith what they're gonna play....and what else is going to say about the new songs.."Uh...actually they suck!".....
August 2nd, 2005 02:26 PM
trevcourt Saint Sway has got it right. Time to trim this bloated, tired show back to where it belongs.
August 2nd, 2005 02:28 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I've said it before.... gonna say it again...

Keep Lisa.

Keep Bobby Keys.

ditch the rest of the horns

ditch Blondie

replace Chuck with Ian MacLagan

is Bernard really necessary?? If so, keep him. But only on songs he really needs to be out there for. Same with Fisher & Keys.

time to strip it down and scale it back. In every sense - esp the size of the venues

Please keep saying it again
August 2nd, 2005 02:43 PM
Nellcote Above all, one thing is certain.
Chuck is the musical director.
He keeps them in check on stage, the "glue" for the
abandon which they could cause without such a person.
I recall Gillette '02, B Stage, Mick went to Chuck for all the cues...
Tours of this size,
With a band this old,
With a catalog of hits as they have,
Could never do it without such a person.
Having said that, I'm not fond of all of his licks,
however, it could be worse.
I think Mac is a better player for certain, however,
it would appear Chuck's coordination wins Mick over.
Great to see an account of the happenings though,
I played the documentary from Live Licks last night, they should be breaking camp soon for Bahston...
August 2nd, 2005 03:07 PM
ResidentMule I like Bernard. maybe cut back the number of songs he's on (which, they kinda did last tour). I like him, particularly on many of Keith's songs. as for Lisa, she's only needed for Gimme Shelter. turn her down so she doesn't drown out the rockers.
I've always found Blondie to be useless. and the more he contributes, the less work Keith has to do. its a lose-lose
have the horns (aside from Bobby) really been used that much recently? I can't think of many songs last tour where they went all out on the horns, aside from the cover tunes. hopefully Bobby's the only one on Bitch though.
Chuck's not going anywhere. if we're lucky he'll pick a little more tasteful effects than Heartbreaker on Four Flicks, but I like his playing even if he's not as great a fit as Nicky Hopkins. if you're not happy about him, whining won't help, save your money.
August 2nd, 2005 03:21 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
I like Bernard. maybe cut back the number of songs he's on (which, they kinda did last tour). I like him, particularly on many of Keith's songs. as for Lisa, she's only needed for Gimme Shelter. turn her down so she doesn't drown out the rockers.
I've always found Blondie to be useless. and the more he contributes, the less work Keith has to do. its a lose-lose
have the horns (aside from Bobby) really been used that much recently? I can't think of many songs last tour where they went all out on the horns, aside from the cover tunes. hopefully Bobby's the only one on Bitch though.
Chuck's not going anywhere. if we're lucky he'll pick a little more tasteful effects than Heartbreaker on Four Flicks, but I like his playing even if he's not as great a fit as Nicky Hopkins. if you're not happy about him, whining won't help, save your money.

well said.

quote:
if you're not happy about him, whining won't help, save your money.

this where i am at, too. back in the planning stage of this endeavor i had hoped for something a bit different, but now that it is happening, i am down with the way it is shaping up - and chuck is musical, if a bit flash, and having someone like that acting as "musical director" is not a bad thing...
August 2nd, 2005 03:37 PM
ResidentMule we could sit around hoping for Ian Maclagan to come in and replace Chuck. I'd much rather wish for Mick Taylor to replace Ronnie. am I gonna buy a ticket expecting it to happen, and then start killing the pre tour vibe when Ron Wood is the one showing up at rehearsals? hell no. Ronnie's doing good work from everything I've seen so far, I'm happy with that. and if Ronnie can pull it back up after last tour, so can Chuck

anybody who thinks the Stones overdo the backup - have you seen Eric Clapton recently?
August 2nd, 2005 03:44 PM
glencar Brilliant posts, Resident Mule! Blondie is a tidal bore.
August 2nd, 2005 03:59 PM
jb Who would think this piece of shit would be dictating the Stones musical direction-total humiliation.
August 2nd, 2005 04:39 PM
luxury1 ahhhh, the man is the essence of rock-n-roll, no??
August 2nd, 2005 04:58 PM
Nellcote Hey, forgot to add, great to see JB back in usual complimentary form of his fellow man!
Have any good 'que in NC?
August 2nd, 2005 06:58 PM
glencar JB was in NC? Sorry I missed him.
August 2nd, 2005 07:53 PM
Soldatti Chuck is more like a member of the Stones now, the boys will never say that but Chuck's on almost everything: he makes setlists, suggestions, it's high on the sound mix...
August 2nd, 2005 08:02 PM
ResidentMule I don't think I can take credit for any brilliance of that post. its quite obvious just by watching him on stage

he could be the nicest guy in the world, he could be a great accomplished musician - and I'd be happy to check out any solo music he has, but as far as the Rolling Stones go, they'd be better off with him jettisoned.

oh yeah, and I don't think this is worthy of its own post, but the album cover sucks. if they have to go with A Bigger Bang for the title, the cover oughtta be Charlie's drum kit
August 2nd, 2005 08:32 PM
Daethgod "Chuck is working hard on the choice of the songs to be choosen and performed during the Bigger Bang Tour. Very soon he'll work with Mick on this topic"

man Stu would be turning his grave ...

August 2nd, 2005 08:34 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
is Bernard really necessary??

Yes.
August 2nd, 2005 08:55 PM
Bob Tamp Well the thing that really sucks for me and has me a tad worried is the lack of new songs they will play before the album comes out. If you got five new ones rehearsed- fucking play em. Or are the new songs really not that good? I hope that isn't the case. In 1969, didnt they play stuff like Rambler, Shelter, vain before Let it Bleed came out?

The rest is going to be war horses, and shit we have heard a million times anyway.
August 2nd, 2005 09:21 PM
Soldatti They can't play 6 new songs during a 20 songs setlist, 10 will be warhorses then 3-4 of new ones and 5-6 standard material as Slippin' Away, LARS or some cover.
August 2nd, 2005 09:23 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
but the album cover sucks. if they have to go with A Bigger Bang for the title, the cover oughtta be Charlie's drum kit

that, is GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!

and after the year that Charlie's been thru it would also be a rightous and touching tribute.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
August 3rd, 2005 03:01 AM
egon chucks diary.........?

Tuesday, August the 2nd.

Today when we left the rehersals all the fans AGAIN only asked autographs to "the boys". They even asked daryl!?
Don't they SEE that I AM the backbone of this band?
Without me they'd be nothing. NOTHING I say!

Well there was this one kid that asked me for an autograph... & my underpants.
Calls himself "moon" or something.
Followed me all the way back home and then stole
some trees from my garden. He says he's my no1 fan.
I don't need THAT shit.

I want respect, I NEED respect. And if I don't get respect soon, maybe, just maybe, i'll be turning up the volume on my KEYBOARD on the upcoming tour.
August 3rd, 2005 03:05 AM
ListenToTheLion Who on earth is intererested in Chuck's diary?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)